Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Experiences with ISKCON

I agree with Satay. "Normal ISKCON support hand waving." ~BYS~

I too feel like ISKCON uses brainwashing as a cure-all. Chanting and reading seems to be the answer to everything, especially when a specific answer or guidance is needed.

It's been stated that one must have a spirtual master to be able to advance in Krishna Counsciousness. Given some of ISKCON's standards, I'll never be able to be initated or able to establish a guru/disciple relationship. Does this mean that I truly won't make progress spiritually?

I asked a "Spiritual Master" why ISKCON broke away from the Hindu religion. His curt reply was that the Hindu religion broke away from the Krishna Consciuosness movement - that the movement has been there from the beginning. History might tell us otherwise. (Correct me if I'm wrong). A few other basic questions were returned with twisted answers as well.

On a personal level, I had been studying the Hindu religion and found that my beliefs were a perfect match. My mistake was in taking someones advice - to go to a local ISKCON temple where someone would "help" me. Not knowing better, I believed just about everything they told me. So much so that I was contemplating giving up a 6 year relationship. Many concepts do make sense and I have learned a lot, but I have no intention of living life as a zombie of some sort or another.

Now it's back to the drawing board, but that's where I'll post in the "New to Hindu" section.

Bhagwan Krishna never asked us to live like zombies! Look at how he lived!! He enjoyed every second of the mortal world...should we not learn something from that?
    satay

Perhaps I've been misunderstood. I've been told that emotions keep us tied to the material world - that we should not feel happy nor sad, etc. "Zombie" was only a figure of speech. Sorry that I didn't clarify this before.

ISKCON thinks that Lord Shiva is a servant of Krishna, they repeatedly offend others by saying this. But when dealing with Christains they will join hands and say that Jesus and Krishna are one and the same. Secular Politics?

Who is Jesus according to Hinduism? Nobody, aside from personal opinions. Who is Shiva according to Hinduism? - The supreme Lord. What a hypocrisy, that they choose to use secular politics with non Hindus and yet be sectarian when dealing with other Hindus.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker
    ISKCON thinks that Lord Shiva is a servant of Krishna, they repeatedly offend others by saying this.
    By itself doesn't mean much unless god is a personal being. Being a Shakta I view all other Gods to be partial aspects of the supreme mahashakti~the active aspect of Brahma. But I understand ISKCON may not mean it that way ... dunno.

But when dealing with Christains they will join hands and say that Jesus and Krishna are one and the same. Secular Politics?
    Maybe~but ISKCON is not alone there.

Who is Jesus according to Hinduism? Nobody, aside from personal opinions. Who is Shiva according to Hinduism? - The supreme Lord. What a hypocrisy, that they choose to use secular politics with non Hindus and yet be sectarian when dealing with other Hindus.
    All very true, but ISKCON is not alone here. Most hindu organizations have a similar tenant. So nothing peculiar with ISKCON here on the above context. OP was referring to a different theme, though this is a sure important point.

I'll have to pay more close attention to Ramkish's thread to get my idea clear on vaishnavism.

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    By itself doesn't mean much unless god is a personal being. Being a Shakta I view all other Gods to be partial aspects of the supreme mahashakti~the active aspect of Brahma. But I understand ISKCON may not mean it that way ... dunno.

Maybe~but ISKCON is not alone there.

All very true, but ISKCON is not alone here. Most hindu organizations have a similar tenant. So nothing peculiar with ISKCON here on the above context. OP was referring to a different theme, though this is a sure important point.

I'll have to pay more close attention to Ramkish's thread to get my idea clear on vaishnavism.
    I am not particular about the equality of Gods by every one, and it is just fine to have many beleifs. It is just perfect if some is after Vishnu or Shiva, or even concieve of different relationships. They are all correct in some way, after all names of God are all man made only. But there is no need to put down others in public for this reason.

But if you choose to be political with non Hindus, you can be political with other Hindus as well. Not doing so is hypocritical.

I saw some Vaishnava making a comment here that Christians are eligible for moksha as per shastras, but advaitins are not. How much more ridiculous can it get?

I saw some Vaishnava making a comment here that Christians are eligible for moksha as per shastras, but advaitins are not. How much more ridiculous can it get?
    It can get very ridiculous; I know of one organization (I leave it for the reader to guess the name) that calls Shiva some sort of naukur (or lord for tamsic souls, like mine) of Krishna and Jesus as some sort of son or 'christo' where there is no evidence in the scriptures for this.

This I call, total junk and reject it as any junk should be rejected; some political purpose must be behind such things.

wouldn't you agree?
    satay

9. I have no great liking for ISKCON but I think some of the sentiments expressed here go way too far. Firstly, I would repeat that the idea of 'brainwashing' is completely meaningless. It is a term originating from the Korean war when prisoners were subjected to sensory deprivation and varying degrees of torture in order to influence their state of mind--a bit like Guantanamo Bay. It has been clearly demonstrated that unless one can physically coerce a person there is no possibility of anything of this type. Every ISKCON member at every moment of the day or night is absolutely free to leave any of their centres. So can we please not use emotive, pejorative language that has no value or meaning.

Secondly, when we criticise ISKCON's attitudes towards other forms of Hinduism we have to recognise that it is the Gaudiya Sampradaya as a whole and not just this one manifestation of it. Many sampradayas hold to the view that their beliefs and practices are the only way to God. And the Shiva Purana teaches quite clearly that Vishnu is not God, but is a creation of God who of course for this scripture is Shiva. So a lot of what is being directed here at ISKCON has a much wider application and I don't see why this one group should be singled out and vilified.

Sheer hatered.

We are forgetting that we are ready to fight with Hindus in our own house where in we should respect hindu oppressors in our own house

We have to fight Asuric forces in their own home land but respect those asuric forces to keep our house clean, and when it comes to fellow hindus, we are ready to slit brethren throat for holding different view.

Does not this brethren has the same right as us, (we individually hold different views), as far as this forum is concerned - NO

When I say, let us aim with this thread what should our brethren do now to change, let us correct our fellow - NAY, I became a bad boy who reads no thread in full and miss points in OP

We have to respect junk salesman in our house to keep our house clean, when our brothers sells something - it boils us for he sells something to very same junk sales people.

When I show what we did in past to similar brothers of us and what will happen if every one start showing fingers on other brothers of ours, I AM TAKING ALIBI

We have to respect aphrodisiacal ideas sold in the name of Hinduism to westners but condemn our brother who has made people to read Gita and Puranas for he is making zombies

When I ask isnt it double standard, I am just waving my hand in support where in I am expected to defend our fellow against allegations for which only personal account and swearings are given as evidence.

May god save Hinduism, more than that, god save me form the ideas of this thread

Thread Information