Thread: Informations about two mantras.

Informations about two mantras.

Namaste all.
    I am Sri vaishnava of Ramanuja-sampradaya and I belong to vadakalai sect.
    The most important mantra in my sampradaya is Om Namo Narayanaya which is the same ofOm Narayanaya Namah.
    This mantra can be recited only with complete purity after have taken a bath and not in rest room.This is a big problem for me.So I don't recite this mantra.
    1)What about Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya?Can I recite this mantra even in my rest room and without first take a bath?
    2)How many times do I must recite Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya in order to became siddha in this mantra?
    3)Can I recite Om Sri Mahalakshmiay namah in my rest room and without take a bath first?
    4)How many times do I must recite Om Sri Mahalakshmiay namah in order to became siddha in this mantra?
    5)When one obtains siddhi in a mantra how does one understand that he/she became siddha in that mantra?
    6)I already know that do Ramanama is beyond time and place.In fact Ramanama is my main spiritual practice everyday.I can recite it even in my rest room.I don't know if it is possible become siddha in this mantra.How many times do I must recite Rama in order to became siddha in this mantra?

A note of clarificarion for the readers:to obtain siddhi in a mantra like Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya ecc doesn't mean obtain supernatural powers.It means have the realization of the Deity of the mantra.

Regards,
    Orlando.

1. What is the problem with taking bath? I suppose almost everyone takes a bath everyday? What is the need to recite mantras in rest-rooms?

2. There are no limitations or specified numbers. Dhruva is said to have repeated that mantra without pausing for 4 months before he could have a vision of Vishnu. But his guru was sage Narada and he was no ordinary human. So you can guess what do we need to do.

3. Sorry, I think you need to drop that thought.

4. same as in 2.

5. When one has a vision of the mantra-murti, one knows he has become siddha in that mantra. There are no other ways to know. It could show up indirectly by removing obstacles in life, ensuring a general happiness etc however.

6. For Rama Nama, it is said that you have to repeat 96 crores(960 million) of it to have a vision of Rama in his Visva-rupa. I dont have any references to this, but it is hearsay. Assuming, you are very sincere and dedicated to this task and nothing else. If you die before completeing this, you will be born in favourable conditions and continue it until this goal is achieved.

3. Namaste Orlando. In the Prapannamritam, the principal biography of Ramanuja, (and also in the Amar Chitra Katha comic, another authoritative source) the story is related of Ramanuja's receiving the mantra om namo naranaya from his guru. Although he was told by his guru that the mantra must be kept confidential, Ramanuja immediately went to the tower of the mandir and called for all the people of the town to come there to receive a great gift. When a crowd had gathered he asked them all to chant the mantra, om namo narayanaya and so enhance their spirituality. Then everyone called out the mantra together and felt great joy.

If this story is true it would seem that Ramanujacharya did not share this view that the mantra should only be chanted in a state of physical purity. The Shiva Purana also teaches that the greatest mantra it offers, om namah shivaya, can be recited by any person, in any place at any time. The spiritual transcends the material.

The three mantras are not secret.( note that one of them is only from BG 18.66) Sri Ramanuja received rahasyartha on these mantras from his guru, and disclosed it in public, against his commands.

Shaucha ( Cleanliness and Purity, both external and internal ) is an essential element of Yoga, and naturally for any mantra japa. There is no way it has been diluted by Acharya. You must be aware that orthodox Srivaishnavas place exceptionally high importance on this aspect.

As one's spiritual qualification increases, emphasis shifts towards inner purity than external purity. Until then, external cleanliness has to be maintained, and is part of the Yama-Niyama limbs of Yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    1. What is the problem with taking bath? I suppose almost everyone takes a bath everyday? What is the need to recite mantras in rest-rooms?

2. There are no limitations or specified numbers. Dhruva is said to have repeated that mantra without pausing for 4 months before he could have a vision of Vishnu. But his guru was sage Narada and he was no ordinary human. So you can guess what do we need to do.

3. Sorry, I think you need to drop that thought.

4. same as in 2.

5. When one has a vision of the mantra-murti, one knows he has become siddha in that mantra. There are no other ways to know. It could show up indirectly by removing obstacles in life, ensuring a general happiness etc however.

6. For Rama Nama, it is said that you have to repeat 96 crores(960 million) of it to have a vision of Rama in his Visva-rupa. I dont have any references to this, but it is hearsay. Assuming, you are very sincere and dedicated to this task and nothing else. If you die before completeing this, you will be born in favourable conditions and continue it until this goal is achieved.
    Namaste Shri Ram.
    1.I take a bath everyday.But I think that mantrajapa should be done immediately after have taken the bath and not after some times.I can't avoid to recite mantras in rest-rooms because in other rooms there are often other people.
    2.Do you mean that I should be initiated from a person that has already siddhi in this mantra?
    3.OK.
    4.ok.
    5.thanks for your reply.About "happiness" I must say that often Ramanama gives me bliss.
    6.Thanks.

Shri Ram,in short do I must do only Ramanama as mantra japa?

And Shri Kimtadbrahma,as a vaishnava I don't recite Om Namah Shivaya because I am not a Shiva bhakta.

Regards,
    Orlando.

Namaste Orlando,

1. Regarding the first one, I dont think it is absolutely necessary to do mantra japa immediately after bath. Bath once in the morning should be enough for a day. If possible, you can take bath again in the evening before japa. If you live in a place with water scarcity, the rules have to be amended accordingly.

You can actually do a bath like this at other times:

Take a bit of water in your palms, and say "Sri Hari" three times, and pour the water on your head. Repeat this seven times. This is called Proxanam, and is equivalent to a bath in circumstances where you cannot take a physical bath. You can do mantra japa after doing proxanam if you cannot take bath. (Note that you still have to take bath in the morning, proxanam is only if you dont have a chance for bathing). You can always do proxanam before any japa.

Rama Nama can be recited as a mantra or as nama japa. The modes are slighly different. Since I dont do the Rama mantra japa, I am not eligible to instruct you.

Doing it as nama japa has probably no restrictions, including the need to bath or even the rest room. There is a funny story that runs thus: A man started reciting Rama nama in the rest room. Lord Hanuman got very angry and slapped him in the back. When Hanuman later returned to Rama, he saw that Rama's back was red and swollen.

I think that Rama mantra japa is recite Om Sri Ramaya Namah.

Namaste all.
    Shri Ram,please read the following verses of Sri Vishnu Purana.
    By http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp046.htm
    PARÁŚARA continued.--I mentioned to you, that the Manu Swáyambhuva had two heroic and pious sons, Priyavrata and Uttánapáda. Of these two, the latter had a son whom he dearly loved, Uttama, by his favourite wife Suruchi. By his queen, named Suníti, to whom he was less attached, he also had a son, called Dhruva 1. Observing his brother Uttama on the lap of his father, as he was seated upon his throne, Dhruva was desirous of ascending to the same place; but as Suruchi was present, the Rája did not gratify the desire of his son, respectfully wishing to be taken on his father's knee. Beholding the child of her rival thus anxious to be placed on his father's lap, and her own son already seated there, Suruchi thus addressed the boy: "Why, child, do you vainly indulge in such presumptuous hopes? You are born from a different mother, and are no son of mine, that you should aspire inconsiderately to a station fit for the excellent Uttama alone. It is true you are the son of the Rája, but I have not given you birth. This regal throne, the seat of the king of kings, is suited to my son only; why should you aspire to its occupation? why idly cherish such lofty ambition, as if you were my son? do you forget that you are but the offspring of Suníti."

The boy, having heard the speech of his step-mother, quitted his father, and repaired in a passion to the apartment of his own mother; who, beholding him vexed, took him upon her lap, and, gently smiling, asked him what was the cause of his anger, who had displeased him, and if any one, forgetting the respect due to his father, had behaved ill to

p. 87

him. Dhruva, in reply, repeated to her all that the arrogant Suruchi had said to him in the presence of the king. Deeply distressed by the narrative of the boy, the humble Suníti, her eyes dimmed with tears, sighed, and said, "Suruchi has rightly spoken; thine, child, is an unhappy fate: those who are born to fortune are not liable to the insults of their rivals. Yet be not afflicted, my child, for who shall efface what thou hast formerly done, or shall assign to thee what thou hast left undone. The regal throne, the umbrella of royalty, horses and elephants, are his whose virtues have deserved them: remember this, my son, and be consoled. That the king favours Suruchi is the reward of her merits in a former existence. The name of wife alone belongs to such as I, who have not equal merit. Her son is the progeny of accumulated piety, and is born as Uttama: mine has been born as Dhruva, of inferior moral worth. Therefore, my son, it is not proper for you to grieve; a wise man will be contented with that degree which appertains to him: but if you continue to feel hurt at the words of Suruchi, endeavour to augment that religious merit which bestows all good; be amiable, be pious, be friendly, be assiduous in benevolence to all living creatures; for prosperity descends upon modest worth as water flows towards low ground."

Dhruva answered; "Mother, the words that you have addressed to me for my consolation find no place in a heart that contumely has broken. I will exert myself to obtain such elevated rank, that it shall be revered by the whole world. Though I be not born of Suruchi, the beloved of the king, you shall behold my glory, who am your son. Let Uttama my brother, her child, possess the throne given to him by my father; I wish for no other honours than such as my own actions shall acquire, such as even my father has not enjoyed."

Having thus spoken, Dhruva went forth from his mother's dwelling: he quitted the city, and entered an adjoining thicket, where he beheld seven Munis sitting upon hides of the black antelope, which they had taken from off their persons, and spread over the holy kusa grass. Saluting them reverentially, and bowing humbly before then, the prince said, "Behold in me, venerable men, the son of Uttánapáda, born of

p. 88

[paragraph continues] Suníti. Dissatisfied with the world, I appear before you." The Rishis replied; "The son of a king, and but four or five years of age, there can be no reason, child, why you should be dissatisfied with life; you cannot be in want of any thing whilst the king your father reigns; we cannot imagine that you suffer the pain of separation from the object of your affections; nor do we observe in your person any sign of disease. What is the cause of your discontent? Tell us, if it is known to yourself."

Dhruva then repeated to the Rishis what Suruchi had spoken to him; and when they had heard his story, they said to one another, "How surprising is the vehemence of the Kshetriya nature, that resentment is cherished even by a child, and he cannot efface from his mind the harsh speeches of a step-mother. Son of a Kshetriya, tell us, if it be agreeable to thee, what thou hast proposed, through dissatisfaction with the world, to accomplish. If thou wishest our aid in what thou hast to do, declare it freely, for we perceive that thou art desirous to speak."

Dhruva said; "Excellent sages, I wish not for riches, neither do I want dominion: I aspire to such a station as no one before me has attained. Tell me what I must do to effect this object; how I may reach an elevation superior to all other dignities." The Rishis severally thus replied.--Maríchi said; "The best of stations is not within the reach of men who fail to propitiate Govinda. Do thou, prince, worship the undecaying (Achyuta)." Atri said; "He with whom the first of spirits, Janárddana, is pleased, obtains imperishable dignity. I declare unto you the truth." Angiras said; "If you desire an exalted station, worship that Govinda in whom, immutable and undecaying, all that is, exists." Pulastya said; "He who adores the divine Hari, the supreme soul, supreme glory, who is the supreme Brahma, obtains what is difficult of attainment, eternal liberation." "When that Janárddana," observed Kratu, "who in sacrifices is the soul of sacrifice, and who in abstract contemplation is supreme spirit, is pleased, there is nothing man may not acquire." Pulaha said; "Indra, having worshipped" the lord of the world, obtained the dignity of king of the celestials. Do thou adore, pious youth, that Vishńu, the lord of sacrifice." "Any thing, child, that the mind covets," exclaimed Vaśisht́ha, "may be obtained by propitiating

p. 89

[paragraph continues] Vishńu, even though it he the station that is the most excellent in the three worlds."

Dhruva replied to them; "You have told me, humbly bending before you, what deity is to be propitiated: now inform me what prayer is to he meditated by me, that will offer him gratification. May the great Rishis, looking upon me with favour, instruct me how I am to propitiate the god." The Rishis answered; "Prince, thou deservest to hear how the adoration of Vishńu has been performed by those who have been devoted to his service. The mind must first be made to forsake all external impressions, and a man must then fix it steadily on that being in whom the world is. By him whose thoughts are thus concentrated on one only object, and wholly filled by it; whose spirit is firmly under control; the prayer that we shall repeat to thee is to be inaudibly recited: 'Om! glory to Vásudeva, whose essence is divine wisdom; whose form is inscrutable, or is manifest as Brahmá, Vishńu, and Śiva 2.' This prayer, which was formerly uttered by your grandsire, the Manu Swáyambhuva, and propitiated by which, Vishńu conferred upon him the prosperity he desired, and which was unequalled in the three worlds, is to be recited by thee. Do thou constantly repeat this prayer, for the gratification of Govinda."

Please note the words of sages Vasishta:Any thing, child, that the mind covets may be obtained by propitiating Vishńu, even though it he the station that is the most excellent in the three worlds

I must confess that I was interested to the two mantras for material purposes.I'd like to become wealthy by winning at lottery.So I will not have to work anymore.
    Even if had vision of Lord Rama's Visva-rupa, I don't know if I could ask Him the boon of wealth.I would feel shame to ask this to Him.
    About Sri Maha Lakshmi,are there rules for his beeja (seed) mantra?Can I recite it even in my rest room?
    I am not sure if the beeja mantra of Sri Lakshmi is Srim or Sri

Regards,
    Orlando.
    Last edited by orlando; 04 May 2006 at 02:16 AM.

Orlando,

Sriman Narayana cannot be seen easily. By any means. He can be seen only when he wants. That happens when you are full of love, and implicitly perform saranagati to him. Even when Dhruva did penance for the sake of material desires, what did he ask when finally he had the divine vision? He asked for nothing. Finally, Lord had to force him to accept material desires and made him an emporer.

Similarly, chanting Rama Nama even for the sake for material desires will ultimately lead to Visvarupa darshana. Because the name itself will purify you. Note that I mentioned 960 million repetitions. Do you really think your material instincts will persist even when you complete this? The first few million will be materialistic, but the more you involve in spirituality, automatically you will be drawn away from materialism - that is power of mantras and God's names. You can start with material desires, but you will never remain the same.

It is to be noted that Vishnu alone seems to be so hard to obtain. There are numerous instances to Asuras and Rakahsas performing tapas on Brahma and Shiva and getting their material desires sanctioned. Shiva is said to grant boons that lead Asuras to their own destruction, or sometimes is in trouble himself. This is all just myth though. It just stresses the point that Lord Vishnu is extremely hard to attain by any human effort, by any amount of Yoga or tapasya, except by his grace. That does not mean we should stop making our efforts.
    Om namO nArAyaNAya
    --------
    srIman nArAyaNa caranau caranam prapadye srImate nArAyaNAya namaha
    --------
    sarva-dharmAn parityajna mAm Ekam saranam vraja
    aham tvan sarva- papebhyo moksayisyAmi ma suchah

Namaste.
    Reveread vaishnava,thanks for your reply.
    Please can you reply my previous question:
    About Sri Maha Lakshmi,are there rules for his beeja (seed) mantra?Can I recite it even in my rest room?
    I am not sure if the beeja mantra of Sri Lakshmi is Srim or Sri.

Regards,
    Orlando

Thread Information