Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaivism and Vishishtadvaita

Shaivism and Vishishtadvaita

Namaste.
    Are there any Shaiva schools that follow Vishishtadvaita? I mean, the Vishishtadvaita similar to Ramanuja's; especially his concept of moksha, which to him is gaining a body similar to the Lord's and living on His Planet.

Are there any Shaiva schools that see moksha like Ramanuja did and believe in Ramanuja's Vishishtadvaita (with Shiva being the Supreme God)?

Re: Shaivism and Vishishtadvaita

Namaste Haridas,

Quote Originally Posted by Haridas View Post
    Are there any Shaiva schools that follow Vishishtadvaita? I mean, the Vishishtadvaita similar to Ramanuja's; especially his concept of moksha, which to him is gaining a body similar to the Lord's and living on His Planet.
    As far as I know, the idea of gaining a body similar to the Lord's in His realm (dhama) is taught by Vaishnava schools only. The teaching that one exists eternally as a servant to God in His dhama after moksha, I don't think is there in Shaivism, though I am not completely certain. There are however philosophies that are pluralistic, which hold that the individual souls exist eternally as individuals even after moksha within Shiva.

Saiva Siddhanta as taught by the Meykandar Sampradaya is the most prominent of these schools today. This school of pluralistic Saiva Siddhanta differs from the monistic Saiva Siddhanta as taught by the Natha Siddhas like Sivaya Subramuniyaswami. In fact, almost everything you will find under the name of Saiva Siddhanta that does not come from the Kauai Adheenam will be on the pluralistic teachings of the Meykandar Sampradaya.

You can read a brief summary of the Saiva Siddhanta (Meykandar school) philosophy here:

http://www.dlshq.org/download/nayanar.htm#_VPID_2
    http://www.geocities.com/ktsshiva/saivasiddhantham.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~MsSubashiniK/sivaalayam/suba6.htm

Aum Namah Shivaya,
    A.

Namaste Agnideva.
    Thank you for the links. I was looking for a more dualistic school within Shaivism (for some reason, I just can't accept pure monism). Thank you again, and may Shiva bless you.

I'm not too sure if you're still interested in Shaiva schools that follow Vishishtadvaita, but this site- http://sroutasaivasiddhanta.com/ is a great resource for the followers of Nilkantha's school.

If you're still interested than I read somewhere that Lingayats (Virashaivas) follow a form of modified monism. Shaiva Siddhantha is dualistic. I also read some time ago that Ramanuja is nearly identical to a certain Shaivic system except that Maha Vishnu is instead of Parama Shiva. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of this Shaivite school. Shaiva Siddhantha has many branches, probably some will prach modified monism, but generally it is more often compared to Dvaita.

All ths is resolved in the Achintya bheda abheda,where sri shankara/Sri Durga devi are considered to be equal/eternal forms of the same God and are described to have a solid dhama in Paravyoma.

achintya... resolves everything.I do not say follow it,just saying that we should stop fighting on Who is superior.

Radhe Radhe.

since shiva takes form as messenger, messiah or opponent. you still go to shiva's worlds no matter in who you put your faith. heaven and hell are for everyone. you might be granted your own personal world with shiva incarnated in it because you believed in him. you might just go to a world without him, but you never know as what he will be there to still inspire you.

perhaps christians actually get to view some old guy with a beard, and it will be shiva in disguise = D

perhaps most angels are only completely in lustform and do not desire further attention from their gods. perhaps for some it's just a short xtc trip before they need to study themselves in hell.

since christians believe jesus ended their mutual hell when he resurrected, they now plunge into their own dark pit of despair. I've had a vision of this of someone who committed suicide.
    but who knows, it might just be for those who's subconscience is still atheist. not that that's a bad thing or something. but you're likely to view yourself as god and the beast. since no thing ever made sense from the beginning.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by charlebs View Post
    since shiva takes form as messenger, messiah or opponent. you still go to shiva's worlds no matter in who you put your faith.
    I would be very much interested if you can offer the śāstra where this knowledge resides.

praṇām

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

shiva and krishna can take each others forms as described in the gita's.

they both ask devi to allow a potent messenger, bhagavan or unbeatable rival to incarnate . =)
    this is the fate of dictators and liberators, it happens everywhere on earth

but india is a holy country, so when it happens there, it is recognized =)

Quote Originally Posted by Haridas View Post
    Namaste.

Are there any Shaiva schools that see moksha like Ramanuja did and believe in Ramanuja's Vishishtadvaita (with Shiva being the Supreme God)?
    Srikanta's philosophy has a close parallel to Ramanuja's Vaishnavism.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Thread Information