Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commercialization

Quote Originally Posted by Namo Narayana
    Indrajaya, I will be glad if you get trained under Guru Pattabhi Jois himself. He and BKS Iyengar are the top gurus in India or the World so to say, who are best in the business. They were students of Guru Krishnamachar.
    Sri Krishnamacharya was an authentic master, but these two are just very good businessmen...

should add "as well" to the end of your sentence, so that you are not denying that they are not masters at what they teach

folks in amazon did a lot of criticism about second dvd. nicky one thing i observed is she does lot of reps. where as my friedn who does yoga which he learnt from India , he does not do any reps of a particular asana.

the one i have is nickys where she has suryanamaskar A and B. i know seane does not say the mantras but about all other yogis and yoginis do chant at the beginning and end. even my boss who is not a high profile teacher she does utter few mantras.

have u tried rodney yee and others ?
    Yes, I have tried a couple of Rodney Yee's DVDs. He's from the Iyengar school. I have mixed feelings about Yee. He's good; but he takes too many liberties. Guruji teaches five Suryanamaskar A and five B done a certain way, and that's good enough for me.

I don't care how good you are: you don't mess with the Suryanamaskar sequence. Surya A & B, the Invocation to Patanjali, using the proper Sanskrit names for the asanas, and a murthi in the studio representing a Hindu deity are all signs of respect that all yoga teachers should adhere to.
    Om Shanti.

Indrajaya

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    Sri Krishnamacharya was an authentic master, but these two are just very good businessmen...
    well. there are buncha westerners ready to pay dude. they have a following. whats wrong in making money ? jois found his own techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Indrajaya
    Yes, I have tried a couple of Rodney Yee's DVDs. He's from the Iyengar school. I have mixed feelings about Yee. He's good; but he takes too many liberties. Guruji teaches five Suryanamaskar A and five B done a certain way, and that's good enough for me.

I don't care how good you are: you don't mess with the Suryanamaskar sequence. Surya A & B, the Invocation to Patanjali, using the proper Sanskrit names for the asanas, and a murthi in the studio representing a Hindu deity are all signs of respect that all yoga teachers should adhere to.
    hmmm. iyengar is quite good and famous. but i dont know much about him. there are many western yoga teachers who dont have deity or do what you say about sings of respect. i am very new to yoga so i dont know what is first and last. but i usually go by the response of my body to yoga. if it does me good , i take it and follow it. what isyour opinion about too many reps nicky is following in her dvd. i think reps will reduce the focus aspect of the mind. a streamlined flow of asanas is what will make your focus better.

hmmm. iyengar is quite good and famous. but i dont know much about him. there are many western yoga teachers who dont have deity or do what you say about sings of respect. i am very new to yoga so i dont know what is first and last. but i usually go by the response of my body to yoga. if it does me good , i take it and follow it. what isyour opinion about too many reps nicky is following in her dvd. i think reps will reduce the focus aspect of the mind. a streamlined flow of asanas is what will make your focus better.
    I should have said: yoga teachers should TRY to adhere to Hindu principles. Obviously, the practice is not about the trappings. You're right: it's about what it does for your body and mind. I sometimes use Nicky's second DVD when I want to slow things down. I like her; but she's way too slow. I hope she eventually releases a DVD with the Primary Series done the way Guruji taught her.
    Om Shanti.

Indrajaya

Thread Information