View Poll Results: Should we have a forum dedicated to debate in a calssical way?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 64.29%
  • no

4 28.57%
  • don't care

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A forum for calssical debate

Re: A forum for calssical debate

Namaste,
    You are all replying to six years old thread!
    satay

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste,
    A six year old classical thread..

We admire Satay so much that we go back in time to answer his queries.

Pranam.

Namaste Satay

I have proven myself to be a one year old member and idiot that I am once again!

Now I know why I don't understand advaita. because I don't even know what time it is or what bath I just jumped into.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 05 April 2013 at 06:43 AM.

Namaste,
    That would make it a classic, would it not?

Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaskar,
    I am wondering if we would like to have a forum in which all the discussions will be soley based on vedas, puranas, upanishads and commenteries of the three acaryas as opposed to 'personal' opinions etc.

Should we have such a forum for HDF?

We will try to follow classic debating rules.
    Check if it will work.
    Last edited by satay; 08 April 2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: removed rest of the post for flaming other member

Re: A forum for classical debate

Pranams,

Sri Vaishnava is correct. I have no interest in naming names, but there are users on this and many other Hindu forums who clearly have only superficial knowledge of our scriptures, and yet they repeatedly object to scripturally-based presentations of philosophy whenever they don't like them, often casting knowledgeable members as fanatics, sectarian, etc etc. It is a classic case of evidence and rationalism being discarded in favor of the ideology of the masses. These kinds of people never acknowledge their limited understanding, yet they are always ready to attack those whose views have solid basis in shAstra. It reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition at times.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing the scriptures. But there should be some humility that comes with that. Actually, humility is a very good thing in general. But, the point is, it is meaningless for some people who lack knowledge and lack the ability to argue logically to attack those who are presenting viewpoints which are steeped in thousands of years of scholarly commentary and erudition. It is preferable to see mature disagreements between knowledgeable people that have no resolution, but which give everyone a chance to see the relative strengths and weaknesses of each person's views. It is not desirable to see stubborn arguments from someone whose sole knowledge of Hinduism is what he learned from VHP propaganda or Agniveer.com.

I follow a very simple rule in discussions. I am not interested in "winning" any debate, so much as I am interested in examining the strength and weaknesses of my own understanding of a given body of evidence in contrast to the strengths and weaknesses of other understandings. If someone presents evidence that seems to contradict my view, and which should be accepted by me as genuine, then I make it a point to read up on it. This is more constructive and useful for my sadhana.

Also, SV might take note that our moderator Satay has recently expressed great interest in the writings of S.M.S. Chari and Dr. Shanbhag author of "Vishnu is Brahman." I remain optimistic that being a gentleman and sticking to one's principles in an assertive yet non-dogmatic way ends up winning more friends and respect in the end.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Sri Vaishnava View Post

This is why I never post here, but remain as an observer.
    Why not participate selectively? I would love to see a thread on the Vaishnava concept of vyuhas from you. I have been searching for good reading material on the subject for months, but to no avail.

Also, I have sent you a PM with some doubts I have about Vaishnava Vedanta. I would be grateful if you can take the time out to reply.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

I second the call for more participation by Sri Vaishnava (the user as well as more Sri Vaishnavas). In fact, I would like to see more participation by traditionally-minded Shaivites and Advaitins and all other traditional, pre-colonial-era schools. This would really raise the standards of discussion, and I know (my selfish motivation admittedly) that I would learn so much more.
    Philosoraptor

Admin Note

Flaming posts like these are against the rules of HDF. Please continue your discussions on other forums if you must flame each other.

But unfortunately, there are some *cough* *cough* who have zero knowledge of classical vedanta and try to obstruct followers of true vaidikas (who are all essentially vaishnava, including srI adi shankarA) from expressing their opinions. Let alone obstruct, they don't even bother to read what the other person has to say.
    satay

Namaste,

No, I don't recall doing that and even if I did circumstances must have warranted it.

Check if it will work.
    If I remember, you forbade most vaishnavas from openly expressing their views. No 'fense.
    satay

Thread Information