View Poll Results: Should we have a forum dedicated to debate in a calssical way?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 64.29%
  • no

4 28.57%
  • don't care

1 7.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A forum for calssical debate

Re: A forum for calssical debate

Pranam Satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Admin Note

--. Please continue your discussions on other forums if you must flame each other.
    Sorry I have no intention of flaming anyone, in fact I agonised weather to respond here to his post at all but the human nature, took over my better judgement.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

I do not see representation from Advaita and Dvaita schools on this forum. I do not mean the Ramana\Ramakrishna flavor of new age Advaita, but traditional Shankara Advaita - with enough depth in his bhashyas, prakarana granthas, Vachaspathi Mishra's work, etc.

And without representation from these schools, debates are not possible. I have never seen anyone engage in debates to learn; the attitude is more one of firm conviction in one's own position, coupled with the zeal to prove the opponent wrong. I am not saying the attitude is wrong (it is not), just pointing out that debates of such quality are not likely to happen.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar,
    I am wondering if we would like to have a forum in which all the discussions will be soley based on vedas, puranas, upanishads and commenteries of the three acaryas as opposed to 'personal' opinions etc.

Should we have such a forum for HDF?

We will try to follow classic debating rules.
    The three acharyas represented just ONE of the SIX darshanas. Even to understand what exactly was the nature of argumentation between the Acharyas requires an understanding of the metaphysics put in place by earlier darshanas like Samkhya, Nyaya, Vaiseshikha and Mimamsa.

We may want to invite certain contemporary academic analytical philosophers like JN Mohanty, Chakravarthi Ram-Prasad, Jonardan Ganeri, Kisor Kumar Chakrabarthi, Bina Gupta, Arindam Chakrabarthi, etc. onto HDF. But given the current climate on HDF they are likely to be turned off within a post or two.

These academicians (and our acharyas earlier) are philosophers first and theologians next. HDF posters seem more content with theology rather than philosophy. That makes sense because for the average Hindu or poster on HDF, theology is easier than philosophy.

I for one, would love to see more followers of traditional Dvaita and Advaita represented on these forums, as well as Vishishtadvaitins.

I see that one such VA follower has been banned now. One intemperate comment and now we are deprived of his wisdom and knowledge for a month. *sigh*
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I see that one such VA follower has been banned now. One intemperate comment and now we are...
    I guess passing gas in the HDF temple even once is not tolerated by the moderators.
    And why would I want to listen to someone who goes off the handle over trivial things and that too at the moderators/site owners?
    I am always aware that being able to post here is a privilege, not a right, as this is not a Govt. run public site.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 09 April 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Namaste,
    That is correct. During the last six or seven years, I have found that once you allow certain people to do that once they will smear **** all over the temple walls within days. That makes my job as the janitor a lot harder as I must then analyze each and every post and decide if that is actually **** or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I guess passing gas in the HDF temple even once is not tolerated by the moderators.

Pranam.
    satay

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I see that one such VA follower has been banned now. One intemperate comment and now we are deprived of his wisdom and knowledge for a month. *sigh*
    two weeks.
    satay

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    We may want to invite certain contemporary academic analytical philosophers
    I have tried that before. It doesn't work. Again, my OP was made six years ago. A lot has been tried, tested and changed since I made the OP.
    satay

Thread Information