Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Ayurveda?

What is Ayurveda?

For those of you who may not know what Ayurveda is, here is an over view.

Ayurveda is the knowledge or science, Veda, of life or longevity, ayur. It is the medical aspect of Vedic science, (regarded as an Upaveda or secondary Vedic system). Today it is perhaps the most commonly known of the Vedic sciences. In the Vedic and Yogic system health is seen as a basis for creative and spiritual growth, not as an end in itself.
    The goal of life is not just to live but to find the meaning of life. Hence we should use the time and energy our health provides for developing our higher nature. Thus Ayurveda naturally leads to the other and deeper aspects of Vedic knowledge.

Ayurveda is an aspect of Yoga and most allied most with Hatha Yoga, the Yoga of the physical body, with which it can be combined. While Hatha Yoga provides us the exercises for physical health, flexibility and the dissolution of tension, Ayurveda gives the knowledge of how to care for our body in terms of diet and medicine. Both serve as means of harmonizing the physical body so that the powers of our inner consciousness can come into action through it.

While the body is not the goal of the spiritual or creative life, it is the foundation. Without health we cannot do anything in life. Hence Ayurveda is of importance to all.

Ayurveda is the medicine of nature, the medicine of life. It does not give us a set of theoretical principles to impose upon our biological functioning. Rather it seeks to present to the human mind the principles and powers of Nature herself. It teaches us to put into practice Nature's great principles of health and natural living. For this reason it employs the language of nature; an energetic system of the elements and biological humors, a simple yet profound system of correspondences, not a complex scientific, materialistic or biochemical terminology.

It considers that it is more important to know what aspect of nature is working within us, for example, if there is too much or too little heat in our system, rather than to be able to describe this dysfunction in terms of pathogens or biochemical malfunctions.

Its terms, therefore, the biological humors, the elements and their qualities, do not originate from conceptual thought or scientific experiments but through direct observation of Nature herself. They represent the powers of Nature working within us, the great Gods or cosmic powers of the vital or life-plane to whom we must do homage (i.e. respect and follow their laws). Just as we have the powers of water, fire and wind working in the environment around us, so they work on a biological level within us. Just as allowing a fire to get too close will burn us externally, so allowing our inner fire to burn too highly will damage our internal organs.

Ayurveda is a form of naturalistic medicine or naturopathy. According to its wisdom it is Nature herself that heals. All we can do is assist in her process by attuning ourselves to her movements. Therefore, Ayurveda emphasizes the balancing of the life-force within us as the basis of all treatment. Ayurveda is based on diet and herbs for its treatment but uses many specially prepared mineral substances as well. It provides us with a complete life-regime through an integrated science of life-style counseling that deals with body and mind, and with both the individual and society. Its goal is not to suppress our symptoms but to give us the tools to understand our nature and live in harmony with it.

http://www.vedanet.com/

If anyone have any qusetions about ayurveda or health issues, feel free to ask

Namaste VK,

What is Ayurveda's stand and explanation on some of the diseases that defy even modern medcine:

Eg: cancer, SLE, hormonal dsorders

Is Ayurveda able to cure such diseases, for which modern medicine just offers a crutch in the form of life long treatment.

-Ram
    Om namO nArAyaNAya
    --------
    srIman nArAyaNa caranau caranam prapadye srImate nArAyaNAya namaha
    --------
    sarva-dharmAn parityajna mAm Ekam saranam vraja
    aham tvan sarva- papebhyo moksayisyAmi ma suchah

Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    Namaste VK,

What is Ayurveda's stand and explanation on some of the diseases that defy even modern medcine:

Eg: cancer, SLE, hormonal dsorders

Is Ayurveda able to cure such diseases, for which modern medicine just offers a crutch in the form of life long treatment.

-Ram
    Namaste Ram.

All disease can be cured, but this depends on the person who is taking up the treatment. Most all disease start in the digestive system. This digestive power is called Agni, and is central to health.

Cancer involves low agni on many levels along with a negative life-force or energy. Negative life force is that of excess Apana the downward moving ari (vata). Cancer is cells that luck oxygen (prana).

Treatment for cancer is first and far most is spiritual therapies, such as Gem and diamond, along with mantras like om. Pyanayama is most important to increase Prana.

Herbal treatment for cancer are that of blood cleansing herbs, such as red clover, dandelion, self-heal, stillingia, burdock etc. Circulatory stmulants, such as turmeric, zedoaria, saffron, safflower, myrrh madder and guggul. Immune strengthening tonic, which are ashwagandha, shatvari, guduchi, bala, shilajit and so on.

Dietary treatment is a anti ama or detoxifying diet. avoid meat and dairy as well as to much protein. Kicharee diet (epual parts mung beans and basmati rice) is an ideal diet for cancer.

modern medicine has very little to offer at this time, they give you pills and ask you to come back in two week for more. which the medications they give you are making people even sicker! people are taking more medication to deal with the side effects. I know people who only took one kind of medication, but now is taking up to 15 different kinds just to deal with the side effects! Its cazy, this person took only one kind of medication, but do to side effects he took another kind, but the one for side effect was causing side effect and so on and so on!

We westerner need to look to the east, which we are slowly!

EDIT

The bottom line here its all about the money, or we would have figured this out long ago! people don't want people to get well, if people got well doctor and pharmaceutical will go out of business!
    Last edited by vedic_kings; 04 May 2006 at 12:49 PM.

ayurveda explained

namaste vedickings, thank-you for the brillient explaination of ayurveda. this truly has helped me to put it all together. i am so grateful. this is very helpful in being able to clear my channels. do you have a chart that can help me to know my body type? or can you direct me to the information? anewa

Any Ayurveda tips for top listing killing diesease - AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by Jalasayanan
    Any Ayurveda tips for top listing killing diesease - AIDS
    Yes there are treatment for AIDS.

The main thing is to eat foods that stregthen Oajs, and sattvic in nature, like sesame seeds and oil, almond, chickpeas, milk, yogurt and ghee.

Its is important to abstain from sexual activity or at least reduce it as much as possible.

Herbs for building Ojas are ashwagandha, shatavari, gokshura, bala and kapikacchu. Shilajit is best.

There are mantras for increasing Ojas such as OM, SHUM and SHRIM.

There is much more to be said, but yeah AIDS can be treated.

Quote Originally Posted by anewa
    namaste vedickings, thank-you for the brillient explaination of ayurveda. this truly has helped me to put it all together. i am so grateful. this is very helpful in being able to clear my channels. do you have a chart that can help me to know my body type? or can you direct me to the information? anewa
    namaste anewa!

Glad I could be of some help

You can go to many site to get a body type chart. I found this one for you.

http://www.ayurveda.com/online%20res...nstitution.pdf

Smile

thank-you very much for the chart. cool i will do the quiz and get back to u later. namaste anewa

Quote Originally Posted by anewa
    thank-you very much for the chart. cool i will do the quiz and get back to u later. namaste anewa
    Im looking forward to your results

Zahuhu Guest
    It is really??

Thread Information