Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Science and Religion - Friend or Foe?

Re: Science and Religion - Friend or Foe?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyDragonkin View Post
    ----
    I find it to be an interesting correlation. If the heart refereed to in Scripture is truly the right half of the cognitive part of the brain, then who is to say Kabbalists are not correct, and that spirits are expressed physically in the macrocosmic world as atoms or small parasites which feed off emotional energy transmitted through the brain as chemicals?

The idea here is that Maya (the physical world) requires physical matter of some sort for manifestation, and this all miracles, etc, have explanations, which make more sense when you work with them

In some cases, Psychosis seems to be motivated by these things and, in my experiences with TIAMAT, much easier for us to cure, when caused in this manner.

The point is, when one can understand Science, I believe one can understand Religion coordinates with it, not contradicts it from a different perspective. Sometimes the connection is not immediately apparent, but with study, something usually unfolds, in my experience.
    Namaste ShinyDragonkin,

I do not understand fully as to what you believe the spiritual heart to be, about its location and physicality in body. It seems or appears that you are equating the spiritual heart to a part of brain. If my understanding of your undertanding is correct, then I would ask you: Where does the heart go in a dead man?

The following is a converstation of a devotee and Guru on the spiritual heart (which is not the heart chakra as some assume).

D.: There are six centres mentioned in the Yoga books; but the jiva is said to reside in the Heart. Is it not so?

M.: Yes. The jiva is said to remain in the Heart in deep sleep; and in the brain in the waking state. The Heart is not the muscular cavity with four chambers which propels blood. There are indeed passages which support the view. There are others who take it to mean a set of ganglia or nerve centres about that region. Whichever view is correct does not matter to us. We are not concerned with anything less than ourselves. That we have certainly within us. There could be no doubts or discussions about that.

The Heart is used in the Vedas and the scriptures to denote the place whence the notion ‘I’ springs. Does it spring only from the fleshy ball? It springs within us somewhere right in the middle of our being. The ‘I’ has no location. Everything is the Self. There is nothing but that. So the Heart must be said to be the entire body of ourselves and of the entire universe, conceived as ‘I’. But to help the abhyasi, we have to indicate a definite part of the Universe, or of the Body. So this Heart is pointed out as the seat of the Self. But in truth we are everywhere, we are all that is, and there is nothing else.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 14 March 2008 at 11:26 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

25 big questions facing science over the next quarter-century

• What Is the Universe Made Of?
    • What is the Biological Basis of Consciousness?
    • Why Do Humans Have So Few Genes?
    • To What Extent Are Genetic Variation and Personal Health Linked?
    • Can the Laws of Physics Be Unified?
    • How Much Can Human Life Span Be Extended?
    • What Controls Organ Regeneration?
    • How Can a Skin Cell Become a Nerve Cell?
    • How Does a Single Somatic Cell Become a Whole Plant?
    • How Does Earth's Interior Work?
    • Are We Alone in the Universe?
    • How and Where Did Life on Earth Arise?
    • What Determines Species Diversity?
    • What Genetic Changes Made Us Uniquely Human?
    • How Are Memories Stored and Retrieved?
    • How Did Cooperative Behavior Evolve?
    • How Will Big Pictures Emerge from a Sea of Biological Data?
    • How Far Can We Push Chemical Self-Assembly?
    • What Are the Limits of Conventional Computing?
    • Can We Selectively Shut Off Immune Responses?
    • Do Deeper Principles Underlie Quantum Uncertainty and Nonlocality?
    • Is an Effective HIV Vaccine Feasible?
    • How Hot Will the Greenhouse World Be?
    • What Can Replace Cheap Oil -- and When?
    • Will Malthus Continue to Be Wrong?

There a 100 more questions on 'What Don't We Know?' today. For more details check http://www.sciencemag.org/sciext/125th/

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    25 big questions facing science over the next quarter-century

• What Is the Universe Made Of?
    • What is the Biological Basis of Consciousness?
    • Why Do Humans Have So Few Genes?
    • To What Extent Are Genetic Variation and Personal Health Linked?
    • Can the Laws of Physics Be Unified?
    • How Much Can Human Life Span Be Extended?
    • What Controls Organ Regeneration?
    • How Can a Skin Cell Become a Nerve Cell?
    • How Does a Single Somatic Cell Become a Whole Plant?
    • How Does Earth's Interior Work?
    • Are We Alone in the Universe?
    • How and Where Did Life on Earth Arise?
    • What Determines Species Diversity?
    • What Genetic Changes Made Us Uniquely Human?
    • How Are Memories Stored and Retrieved?
    • How Did Cooperative Behavior Evolve?
    • How Will Big Pictures Emerge from a Sea of Biological Data?
    • How Far Can We Push Chemical Self-Assembly?
    • What Are the Limits of Conventional Computing?
    • Can We Selectively Shut Off Immune Responses?
    • Do Deeper Principles Underlie Quantum Uncertainty and Nonlocality?
    • Is an Effective HIV Vaccine Feasible?
    • How Hot Will the Greenhouse World Be?
    • What Can Replace Cheap Oil -- and When?
    • Will Malthus Continue to Be Wrong?
    Namaste saidevo,
    a very intriguing list.. while they look technically appealing, they also ( seem ) to beg additional questions after one question is answered, yes?

For me the question is not so much quantity and quality, but of Becoming. Becoming that Fullness that will know all these other questions as an extention of my SELF.

Saunaka the great householder approached Angiras in the manner laid down by the scriptures and questioned: What is that, O Bhagvan, which being known all this becomes known? ( Mundakopanishad 1.1.3)
    Angiras addresses this question and what transpires is the wisdom of the Mundaka Upanishad, the conversation of para and apara knowledge.

That said saidevo, thank you, a very nice list indeed of the Relative Field of Life.

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 March 2008 at 11:28 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    a very intriguing list.. while they look technically appealing, they also ( seem ) to beg additional questions after one question is answered, yes?

For me the question is not so much quantity and quality, but of Becoming. Becoming that Fullness that will know all these other questions as an extention of my SELF.
    I agree with you, and I am rather surprised you have not stated it with your favourite word bhUma for that Fullness. I think if they find the answer to this one question, that would lead to every other: "What is the Biological Basis of Consciousness?"

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    Namaste Yajvan.
    I agree with you, and I am rather surprised you have not stated it with your favourite word bhUma for that Fullness. I think if they find the answer to this one question, that would lead to every other: "What is the Biological Basis of Consciousness?"

Namaste,
    you have said it well, bhUma... that Fulless of Brahman. That samasta ( wholeness) that is discussed in the Chandogya Upanishad (Chapt 2.1).

thank you again.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 March 2008 at 11:48 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information