Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are the HDF Posts?

How are the HDF Posts?

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste All HDF members.

How are the posts as of late? HDF overall has the intent to keep the posts relevant, informational, friendly, & high quality; all that you can think of that reflects the dignity that Sanatana dharma deserves.

What are your thoughts one this?
    • Quality of the postings
    • Relevant topics - interesting
    • Fun ( that is important as it brings one back again )
    • Learning & new perspectives - new things offered
    • You are able to express your ideas openly; there might be some debate, yet you are happy to engage in this and find it rewarding
    • Ahhhh'ha's ! - some may call this insights or an epiphany that comes to you from a fellow members post.
    Is there anything that you think needs to be improved or considered?
    • What are they?
    • Can you be specific?
    When it comes to the technical side of the HDF site like new features, Perhaps satay ( or web master and site owner) will need to address these as what is possible and what is not.

Last time we have done this was about ~ 6 to 7 months ago and received relevant feedback that was acted on.

fyi - if all's well and the current course and speed feels right to you, then that too is okay, just let the others know, as all HDF members are 'shareholders' in this as all are owners and authors.

The powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse, a page, a sonnet, chapter or book. What will your verse be? .. unknown author

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: How are the HDF Posts?

Namaskar Yajvan,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste All HDF members.

How are the posts as of late? pranams,
    I am glad that you asked as I was about to post such a question shortly.

Overall I find the posts of all members to be relevant to the topic at hand, to the point, helpful and of good quality, especially those posts that provide a reference for further study.

However, my only problem is that of late a lot of the posts are too technical for me to engage in and to even comprehend. This is of no fault of the posters but of my own lack of understanding of sanskrit, the different darshana systems and my overall lack of knowledge of sanatana dharma.

For me as a beginner, I look at these posts with 'wow'...'I will get there some day but not right away (due to other commitments)'.

To all the beginners (especially those who are not born in a hindu family), the message I would like to send is that being born in a hindu family doesn't mean that understanding indian philosophical thought is easy.

Sometimes at the end of the day after all is said and done and no matter how many books I have started to read...I simply hold the rudra beads that go around my neck...like an electrician does to 'dis-charge'...simply holding the rudra beads gives me the grounding and peace that I require.

Yet, I love HDF for what it is, a quality resource on the net.
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar Yajvan,

I am glad that you asked as I was about to post such a question shortly.

Overall I find the posts of all members to be relevant to the topic at hand, to the point, helpful and of good quality, especially those posts that provide a reference for further study.

However, my only problem is that of late a lot of the posts are too technical for me to engage in and to even comprehend. This is of no fault of the posters but of my own lack of understanding of sanskrit, the different darshana systems and my overall lack of knowledge of sanatana dharma.

Yet, I love HDF for what it is, a quality resource on the net.

Namaste satay,
    Let me first thank you ( I think from all of us) for maintaining this site, its look and feel, structure... most excellent.

With regard to
    ... too technical for me to engage in and to even comprehend.
    It seems to me, we can do a better job of defining our terms, yes? or the concept at hand.
    I would ask the Sr. Members to please consider this with their posting... I consider myself a sisya [some write shsiya, or student ] and I will ask the question what do you mean or I just do not get it.

Perhaps for others who need help, we can signal to the authors of the post when we do not have a clue on the subject matter at hand? That may flag them to re-consider the rhetoric used, or define a sanskrit term , as that is how we learn.

That said, I have been pleased with the posts. I also find our new members knowledgeable and engaging. I think we can assist them by helping them placing the posts in the folders that make most sense, but should not curb their enthusiasm for posting, as we can move the posts later with your (Satay's) guidance.

I hope others give their assessment on how we're doing...

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Arrow Re: How are the HDF Posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Yajvan

It seems to me, we can do a better job of defining our terms, yes? or the concept at hand.

I would ask the Sr. Members to please consider this with their posting...
    Namaste,

Most of my posts seem only to be clarifying terminology, or clarifying the clarifications, but any obscure saMskRta words should easily be found in a comprehensive dictionary ~ e.g. Sanskrit Lexicon.

And I would ask anyone who does not understand a word to try looking it up in a dictionary before abandoning comprehension.

Sanskrit is unavoidable in Sanatana Dharma, so a starting point for effective communication is knowledge of the 50 (or so) fundamental phonemes, and (importantly) some consistent method of transcription.

Post Re: How are the HDF Posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabhanga

Sanskrit is unavoidable in Sanatana Dharma, so a starting point for effective communication is knowledge of the 50 (or so) fundamental phonemes, and (importantly) some consistent method of transcription.
    = a

= ā = aa = A

= i

= ī = ii = I

= u

= ū = uu = U

= ṛ = Ri = R

= ṝ = RI = RR

= ḷ = lR = Li = L

= ḹ = lRR = LI = LL

= e

= ai

= o

= au

अं = aṁ = aM

अः = aḥ = aH

= ka

= kha

= ga

= gha

= ṅa = Ña

= cha = ca

= ccha = Cha = cha

= ja

= jha

= ña

= ṭa = Ta

= ṭha = Tha

= ḍa = Da

= ḍha = Dha

= ṇa = Na

= ta

= tha

= da

= dha

= na

= pa

= pha

= ba

= bha

= ma

= ya

= ra

= la

= va

= śa = za = sha

= ṣa = shha = Sha = Sa

= sa

= ha

= ḻa = La

क्ष = kṣa = kSa = xa = ksha

There is likely to be confusion in two cases, and my own preferences (to avoid any confusion) are given in bold.

= cha = ca
    = Cha = cha

= śa = sha
    = ṣa = Sha = Sa

I almost signed out of here for good a week or so back. Most of the posts are too complex for me to understand, as I am no scholar, and have been taught that its not in books. Having said that, I am staying on for awhile, as I do find some posts of interest. I like anything on the practical side, like controlling ones emotions. I remember having this same discussion with a senior swami about 30 years back. I said" To heck with the concepts of god, I want to know how to control anger when my wife burns the toast and I'm late for work." He has on more that one occasion mentioned to me that he remembers that conversation, and how it brought him down to earth, and helped him realise that sometimes the teachings are really quite irrelevant when its philosophical. In order to gain anything, we have to be extremely rooted in svadharma first. Otherwise the kundalini and such just doesn't help much. My guru advised not to meditate after anger and to try to resolve all daily conflicts before retiring.
    I also like the talk on new temples, and welcoming new westerners to the fold. The subjects are vast, and I have no problem reading or skimming the sanskrit talk, and accepting that that's where others interests lie.
    I don't like the name calling or fundamentalists points of view that rise on occasion, when people take a narrow stance. I usually add my two bits once and once only. It the other side wants to argue, that's fine, but I won't participate. Not that i would lose the argument, just that its pointless. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and that goes for me as well. Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I almost signed out of here for good a week or so back. Most of the posts are too complex for me to understand, as I am no scholar, and have been taught that its not in books. Having said that, I am staying on for awhile, as I do find some posts of interest. I like anything on the practical side, like controlling ones emotions. I remember having this same discussion with a senior swami about 30 years back. I said" To heck with the concepts of god, I want to know how to control anger when my wife burns the toast and I'm late for work." He has on more that one occasion mentioned to me that he remembers that conversation, and how it brought him down to earth, and helped him realise that sometimes the teachings are really quite irrelevant when its philosophical. In order to gain anything, we have to be extremely rooted in svadharma first. Otherwise the kundalini and such just doesn't help much. My guru advised not to meditate after anger and to try to resolve all daily conflicts before retiring.
    I also like the talk on new temples, and welcoming new westerners to the fold. The subjects are vast, and I have no problem reading or skimming the sanskrit talk, and accepting that that's where others interests lie.
    I don't like the name calling or fundamentalists points of view that rise on occasion, when people take a narrow stance. I usually add my two bits once and once only. It the other side wants to argue, that's fine, but I won't participate. Not that i would lose the argument, just that its pointless. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and that goes for me as well. Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,
    Here's what I see as the core of your feedback....correct me if I am off base
    • I do find some posts of interest
    • I like anything on the practical side, like controlling ones emotions.
    • I also like the talk on new temples
    • I don't like the name calling or fundamentalists points of view that rise on occasion, when people take a narrow stance
    • Not that i would lose the argument, just that its pointless
      [If you do win, what was won any way? a tickle to the ego perhaps?]
    this about right? the last point, I added the parenthetic observation of winning and what gets won. Often wondered this myself, yet can understand why some choose to engage. Sometimes the 'winning' is the notion that ones point got across.... yet some times its 'my dad can beat up your dad and I am gonna show you.'

(et.al) just a note - the intent of the feedback is so the authors of the posts can see what others think. A group feedback approach. Perhaps helpful to the HDF posters.

I for one try and mix it up from practical, to esoteric, to shastra based... my intent has always been to stimulate conversation and by His grace, an ahhh'ha or two will arise for the reader-or-writer. This is the blessing of a good forum. One learns, moves forward , and even allows soma [the delight of action ] to be stimulated and given to the devata , even if we think this does not happen.

thank you for postings EM, you hadd value...

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 November 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: sp..
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste,

Here, I seek education on the order of "connecting the dotz" and I have found that in spades. The heart of the sanatana dharma philosophy (to my uneducated eye) is found in Sanskrit, and I greatly appreciate the sometimes arcane yet distilled for understanding posts by our resident scholars, of whom there are many. I've gotten many "aHa" experiences from reading these posts, and I am thankful for those who take the time to put forth this information for us to ponder. Yes, a lot of times, it is beyond my understanding, but given enough repeation (lol) it starts to stick.

I'm not looking for a "manual" or "steps" to follow ... IMO, the path is apprehended through practice more than instruction. However, not having to reinvent the wheel with respect to what's connected to what is really helpful.

Thank you to all who post here and take the time to share their ideas and knowledge with us.

IOW, I think HDF is just lovely just as it is!

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Namaste EM,
    Here's what I see as the core of your feedback....correct me if I am off base
    • I do find some posts of interest
    • I like anything on the practical side, like controlling ones emotions.
    • I also like the talk on new temples
    • I don't like the name calling or fundamentalists points of view that rise on occasion, when people take a narrow stance
    • Not that i would lose the argument, just that its pointless
      [If you do win, what was won any way? a tickle to the ego perhaps?]
    this about right? the last point, I added the parenthetic observation of winning and what gets won. Often wondered this myself, yet can understand why some choose to engage. Sometimes the 'winning' is the notion that ones point got across.... yet some times its 'my dad can beat up your dad and I am gonna show you.'

(et.al) just a note - the intent of the feedback is so the authors of the posts can see what others think. A group feedback approach. Perhaps helpful to the HDF posters.

I for one try and mix it up from practical, to esoteric, to shastra based... my intent has always been to stimulate conversation and by His grace, an ahhh'ha or two will arise for the reader-or-writer. This is the blessing of a good forum. One learns, moves forward , and even allows soma [the delight of action ] to be stimulated and given to the devata , even if we think this does not happen.

thank you for postings EM, you hadd value...

pranams,
    Yajvan: I absolutely admire your ability to as you say, mix it up. I always read your posts, as they go from things simple such as the one on BAPS Toronto, and also the complex. It shows you see the whole picture here (and in the whole of Sanatana Dharma) as on a multitude of levels. I am gracious. Good comment on the arguing bit. BTW, your sense of humour comes through quite often as well, which is something I failed to acknowledge as something else I appreciate on here. I think the funny posts often have that ah ha moment contained within them. Aum Namasivaya

Question Re: How are the HDF Posts?

(et.al) just a note - the intent of the feedback is so the authors of the posts can see what others think.
    Namaste Yajvan (et al.),

I am sorry if my response was out of line ~ perhaps it should be moved to a separate thread for "feedback on feedback".

Thread Information