Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kundalini

Re: Kundalini

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Kundalini is often understood as if she is some energy or force of the human that can be tapped by some mental or physical exercises.
    That way i belive she cannot be properly understood.
    First of all she is a devi no matter whether she is thought to be inside the body or not.
    Hi MahaHradanath,
    Many thanks for such wonderful information. The dry 'technical' approach, you allude to above, is the one used in Tibetan tantra. Kundalini is known as Tum-Mo (the inner fire) and is attained by work on the chakras in order to reverse the flow of prana. It is never understood to be an aspect of the universal shakti, as these teachings are not found in Buddhism.

I personally find this approach (along with some yoga techniques - blocking etc.) to be little more than a kind of abuse. I think all attainments flow naturally from correct practice and to try to precipitate, or force some kind of result is counter productive. Some practitioners develop problems as a result of doing this.

The only way kundalini can make sense, in my opinion, is if it is taught in its full context, as you have outlined.

Namaste

Re: Kundalini

Quote Originally Posted by srivijaya View Post
    Hi MahaHradanath,
    Many thanks for such wonderful information. The dry 'technical' approach, you allude to above, is the one used in Tibetan tantra. Kundalini is known as Tum-Mo (the inner fire) and is attained by work on the chakras in order to reverse the flow of prana. It is never understood to be an aspect of the universal shakti, as these teachings are not found in Buddhism.
    Namaste

My posting was not a criticism of any dharma or Sampradaya, just a general remark that imbalances in approach do happen because we are human after all, not because of my disagreement with any dharma.

So please do not understand my posting as a specific remark, directed against a special Philosophy or Dharma.

Unbalanced approaches can happen to anybody and in any philosophy especially if practices are undertaken out of the context of a valid tradition or by those who do not have the necessary qualifications or do not follow the example of experienced teachers.

I respect the teaching of all Dharmas including Sugata or Bauddha Dharma and this includes the Bauddha Kaula or Vajrayana.

Though not an astika teaching it has roots in a valid spiritual tradition and there are qualified teachers alive, so that none of my above cautionary remarks can be generally applied to yoga practices in the context of Vajrayana.

Of course, as i mentionend before, my posting is about the individual sadhakas approach so it can apply also to any practicioner of Vajrayana.

There can be someone practicing while unqualified and as a result of his shortcoming, a sound sadhana can lead to no or unsound results.

That way even after prolonged practice one may not fully appreciate nor be able to apply or even correctly judge the quality of what has been taught.

MahaHrada
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 27 April 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information