Thread: Practical Wisdom of Vijnana Bhairava

Threaded View

Practical Wisdom of Vijnana Bhairava

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought I would offer some of the wisdom found in the Vijnana Bhairava. It is very practical and its orientation is 'a wack in the side of the head'. What do I mean by this. The sutras or vallis considered karikas (verses) are all about the sadhu realizing Self, Brahma Sakshtkara ( Self Realization) getting to Bhairava¹.

This is the beauty of these agamas ( that which is handed down) of Saivism. As I see it Saivism suggests, sure philosophy is a boon to discuss, yet lets make hay while the sun shines - this lifetime, lets be introduced to Siva, to Bharirava to our SELVES.

So , Perhaps I thought to offer some of the karika's that are there… they are most succinct, insightful, and without fluff. They are the 'wack' I know I can use, and thought to share some I find useful and to me profound.

So , lets start at the beginning? Nope. Lets start with karika 100, as for me, it sets the stage on why this Knowledge is so attractive to the sadaka [one practicing spiritual disciplines], sisya [student] or mumuksu [the seeker with the burning desire for liberation].

Here is this karika from the Vijnana Bhairava that gives some insights and dharana ( a practice, contemplation, meditation). It says
    cid-dharna sarva dehesu vishesi nasti kutracit|
    Atashca tanmayam sarvam bhavayan bhavajij-janah||
    The One, which is characterized as Consciousness is residing in all the bodies; there is no differentiation in anything. Therefore ( or Hence ) if a person realizes that everything is full of that (very Consciousness) he conquers the world of becoming.

So what's this all about?

In all bodies [sarva deshesu] from the smallest , most feeble insect to the body of Brahma, Consciousness is the same, without differentiation. There is no difference [visheso nasti kutracit] in caitanya , in consciousness.

The dharana or meditation is, if the native or sadhaka ( one that practices sadhana) fixes his/her awareness on this, that caitanya [consciousness] that is the same, homogeneous, in each and every object (a smooth continuum) he/she conquers the duality of individual level [i] to the Supreme level [Aham].

That is, the duplicity of Life of the objective world is then seen in turiyatit chetana (sustained turya) i.e. higher levels of Consciousness devoid of the duality. Swami Lakshamjoo prefers to Call this state God Consciousness.

If one has time during the day to try this, its' a slight wack to the side of the head. There are some more interesting 'wacks' perhaps you may find of interest, and I will share in some new postings.

ॐनमःिशवाय

1. This HDF post may be of use: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...2&postcount=52

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 May 2008 at 12:10 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information