Thread: Spanda-karikas and Nijashuddhi

Threaded View

Spanda-karikas and Nijashuddhi

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

Nijashuddhi is ones impurity. Why is it that we as human beings are considered Divine, yet we [ i ] see so many blemishes in our selves and the radiance of the Divine must be mined, like gold or diamonds?

Why is it that this SELF simply does not shine forth? This question is posed in the 9th karika of the Spandakarika¹.

This is considered an important agama. If you study the Siva Sutras, then this book is a complementary adjunct to that knowledge. The 3 Awakenings of the Siva Sutras are posted on HDF for your consideration: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2078

Nijashuddhi - ones own impurity is how the 9th karika starts off. This asuddhi is impurity , yet what is meant is mala. Mala मल is considered dirt , filth , dust , yet we are directed to consider mala as a limiting condition. Just as one has dirt and dust on the windshield of a car, it can be wiped off. The muni says there are 3 kinds of significant malas.
    • Anava mala
    • Mayiya mala
    • Karma mala
    I thought to comment on the first one (other malas if there is interest).
    This anava mala is intriguing to me. This limitation pertains to aNu अणु or fine , minute , atomic. It points to the individual jiva.

Think of it. The Infinite now thinks it is contained in a body with length, width, height and is constrained to a boundary. The boundless constrained to a boundary!

This limitation sets the stage for the other two mala. Think of yourself. You get to go where you wish, make selections about your life, go here and there on vacations. Then all of a sudden you are confined to a room (~ like a jail) that is just 3 meters by 3 meters and 4 meters in height. What would be your experience? That of limitation, of the 'blemish' of constraint. What would you want to do?

Get out is the order of the day , yes? Perhaps our desires then is the Supreme's way of knocking at the door to say it is time to get out. Time to return to the Infinite Nature of the SELF that is home, that is, My Natural State.

It has been said, all desires in the final analysis is the desire for the Infinite; to experience something more then the most, that will satisfy the mind. That is why no-one desire tends to crunch ones thirst for any period of time… the wise say finite things do not contain happiness². So we continue to look for that experience that is full in itself and will make one stop looking.

It starts with the constraint of the infinite, the anava mala. Once we know this then, it allows us to move forward. It allows us to say, these desires are really natural and some [ sadhus, mumuksha, yogis and yoginis] have directed them to the pursuit of samvit [Supreme Consciousness].

We have begun to break the code! A crack in the mala मल, and the light, prakash [ pra = 'forth' + kAsh 'to shine ] starts streaming though.

1. This Spandakarika has multiple commentaries, Yet I am reading the one by Ksemaraja. The author ( composer) is Vasugupta-ji . Some may take issue and say Kallata was the author of the Spandakarika… I will leave that to the experts other then myself.

2. Nalpe sukham asti - 'finite things do not contain happiness' - rishi Sanatkumara, Chandogya Upanishad [ I think!]

ॐनमःिशवाय

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 24 November 2007 at 05:58 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information