Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a few questions. =)

Post Re: a few questions. =)

Namaste EM,

dvija is “twice-born”, generally indicating any Arya (brAhmaNa, kshatriya, or vaishya), but especially a brAhmaNa, who is reborn through upanayanam. And this brings us to the crux of this matter:

It is the upanayana saMskAra that confers eligibility to be a tripuNDrin.

I suspect that “fake” vibhUti is sometimes produced for selfish profit, and it would always be best to make your own, but (once again) this requires dIkshA, and the exact method has always been held as a closely guarded secret. From the various brands available for sale, however, my own choice would be the “kAshI vibhUti bhasma” made by Bhavani Shankar & Sons.

Post Re: a few questions. =)

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post

Is there a special name or occasion to the tilak in which one smears one's forehead with "sandlewood paste"?
    Namaste Singhi,

The cAndanatripuNDra is especially applied at dawn, and the bhAsmanatripuNDra is especially applied at dusk. And each one is applied as a reflection of the other ~ i.e. the lines of bhasma are marked directly onto the skin, while the cAndana tripuNDra is erased from a background of applied candana.
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 28 December 2007 at 10:13 PM.

3. thank you.

thank you all so much.
    i have just recently bought the bhagavad gita and the ramayana
    and it has taught me a lot.
    i have always be strongly drawn to lord shiva.

i have another question.
    is there puja that is only for lord ganesh or does it have
    to involve another god?

thank you so much.

Re: a few questions. =)

The intent of any puja, whether to one God, or to many, would still be to focus on one God at a time. If you go to a temple, (South Indian style) there is only one enshrined in each shrine. The entire rounds of pujas may very well be to more than one God, but at each one the priest calls upon the presence of the particular God he is at. So sure you can do a puja to just Ganesha. My advice would be to try to get to a temple, if there is one nearby you. Aum Namasivaya

Re: a few questions. =)

Namaste,

I'm of no orthodoxy, just FYI ...

But, IMO, the bottom line is respecting Godz - me, I prefer the nice way

If one would invite the attention and beneficience of Godz, humility is always an appropriate sacrifice, to my ways of doing.

When in doubt, "Master" or "Mistress" works in lieu of an alternative form of address!

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Thread Information