Thread: Is Gaudiya/Chaitanya Vaishnavism Hindu?

Is Gaudiya/Chaitanya Vaishnavism Hindu?

Forgive the mundane question, but naive people like me need reassurance in a confusing world.

Now, I understand that ISKCON, as told by Srila Prabhupada himself, is not a Hindu movement, and he came not to preach Hinduism but his so-called "Krishna Consciousness." But where do the other groups stand in this Hindu/not-Hindu game? The Sri Gaudiya Vedanta Society, the Gaudiya Math, GOKUL, and the amount of Chaitanya Vaishnavites that dwell in Bengal...

What makes general Gaudiya Vaishnavism 'Hindu' and ISKCON's movement and practice not Hindu? Was it because ISKCON originally was to spread the practice of the Hare Krishna mantra and sankirtan to all peoples regardless of religion, although it seems to have become a religion in itself?

Oy.

Namaste,
    Kevyn.

Re: Is Gaudiya/Chaitanya Vaishnavism Hindu?

The word Hindu does not describe an organized faith with a central authority. The most consistent definition of Hindu are those people who believe in the supreme authority of the vedas. ISKCON becomes a hindu organization by that definition and so does all other sects including Gaudiya Vaishnavs.

This sect may not be the sect I would relate too, but is still politically Hindu. (Note this identification of people under a banner is a political & social issue, and not much of a religious issue ~ nonetheless extremely important one).

Bauddha dharma is much closer to kevala advaita vada of Sankara, yet it is not Hindu because it completely rejects the Vedas as any authority.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Re: Is Gaudiya/Chaitanya Vaishnavism Hindu?

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    The word Hindu does not describe an organized faith with a central authority. The most consistent definition of Hindu are those people who believe in the supreme authority of the vedas. ISKCON becomes a hindu organization by that definition and so does all other sects including Gaudiya Vaishnavs.

This sect may not be the sect I would relate too, but is still politically Hindu. (Note this identification of people under a banner is a political & social issue, and not much of a religious issue ~ nonetheless extremely important one).

Bauddha dharma is much closer to kevala advaita vada of Sankara, yet it is not Hindu because it completely rejects the Vedas as any authority.
    Thank you for responding to my post efficiently.

I would go to the nearest non-ISKCON Krishna-centred temple... but there isn't one. XD Secondly, I am yearning and learning to practice Gaudiya Vaishnavism, which is quite conservative to the rest of the Hindu population.

Being that ISKCON has the closest Krishna temple around (and since they do practice a derived form of GV), I do not have much of a choice. There is a lot politically that ISKCON does suffer from, but again, not much of a choice there.

Buddha Dharma is definitely ot Hindu by their rejection of the Vedas.

Thanks again!

Hare Krishna,
    Ardhanari. (heheh, Vaishnava with a Shaiva username...)

Thread Information