Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ayurveda

Re: Ayurveda

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste ,

• Wolfing down your food ( that would be me). As pitta-vāta constitution my appetite is robust, and eating is a function vs. entertainment. So food is consumed quickly for me, and I need to slow down. This is wise for vāta, as vata people are quick
    pranams
    Yajvan: That's me above, too. Thank you so much for all the info here. As a result of it, I have started (one month ago) taking triphala as a supplement as well as increasing turmeric. I believe I've noticed some improvement. My problems are not digestive per se, but more IBS. (I am not alone, as its a common ailment. ) I developed the condition about 12 years ago during a particularly stressful time with the world, and it comes and goes still. Candida is also a factor. The condition improves drastically during holidays, as its more directly related to stress intake than food intake, although some foods seem harsher than others. Any other hints, suggestions would be most welcomed. The western medical system sort of shuffles such things out of the way. May Peace be with You. Aum Namasivaya.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Yajvan: That's me above, too. Thank you so much for all the info here. As a result of it, I have started (one month ago) taking triphala as a supplement as well as increasing turmeric. I believe I've noticed some improvement. My problems are not digestive per se, but more IBS. (I am not alone, as its a common ailment. ) I developed the condition about 12 years ago during a particularly stressful time with the world, and it comes and goes still. Candida is also a factor. The condition improves drastically during holidays, as its more directly related to stress intake than food intake, although some foods seem harsher than others. Any other hints, suggestions would be most welcomed. The western medical system sort of shuffles such things out of the way. May Peace be with You. Aum Namasivaya.
    Namaste EM,
    I am not a viadya, just a practitioner of this approach for ~ 20+ years and it has served me well... you can do a fair amount of research on this subject on-line and be successful. If you are a PURE vata ( that is vata-vata constitution) you will find the digestion + cold influences a bit more challenging.

I am happy you have considered triphala. It will serve you well. Do you take ghee? this too is simple to administer and just plain good for you ( not in tonnage).

You mention
    Candida is also a factor.
    yes, cold and vata. This suggests to get as much warmth as you can... both in body heat and digestion. I am in hopes that the 'cold months' September to July he-he, you are taking warm hearty meals... Robust soups, and stuff like that.
    look to the post on various herbs and the ones that stimulate agni...it is within this HDF post.. I will check and put the post here:
    Post 1: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356
    Post 2: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...20&postcount=5

Let me recommend a book that will assist you... it is easy reading and is for the daily practitioner. I have have used it for years. It is Ayurveda, The Science of Self Healing by Dr. Vasant Lad.

I have also visited viadyas many times, and found their info useful , yet a little $$ expensive; nope allot expensive! Hence taking on my own health as a responsibility has been useful for me ( physicison heal thy self, they say).

My wife also does Pancakarma. Very useful. more on this if interested.

That said , for a vata there are several areas of interest:
    • Diet - hearty hot meals in these winter months
    • Eating Habits - be regular - and the stuff I offered in the last post on Diet
    • Lifestyle - this may sound silly, but give yourself plenty of time to get to appointments without rushing. This minimizes 'mind thrashing' and mind stress¹. Stress brings imbalances, and pokes a vata imbalances. Avoid if possible too many things to get done - a laundry list of activities provokes vata imbalances.
    • Thoughts and Emotions - if you are not meditating today, think about if it is time to consider something to balance the mind; if you are interested in hatha yoga this too will help. Because of my teaching, training and instruction I have been afforded over the years this is my number one priority for me...without my sadhana, I am toast.
    • Relationship with the environment - you have an ideal condition as you are a Gardner. Very favorable. Yet also note the environment extends to social life. Just as you garden, and take care there in the mist of plants and flowers, consider the same in society. Being purposeful, but not stressed. Also, as you are in a cold-dry climate this will provoke dryness of your protective covering...your skin. If you can, an oil massage or abhyanga, the ayurvedic oil massage as often as possible is good for you , your joints your skin and your mind. If you are vata constitution, then sesame oil is best and easiest to do. the benefits according to Ayurved:
      • Increased circulation, perfect for vata
      • Toning / soothing the muscles
      • Calming for the nerves they say
      • Lubrication of the joints
      • Increased mental alertness from the blood stimulation
      • Improved elimination of impurities from the body
      • Softer, invigorated skin - from the cold and dryness
    Now do I practice what I preach on this oil message... yep. And I add doing this in the steam-bath at my health club. I have done this for years.

These are just a few items I was thinking of... perhaps it added maybe an eye-drop of new info for you.

Again I am not the author of this wisdom, just passing it on the best I know how.

pranams

1. Chris Rock, * the comedian* has wise words. He says for an appointment you can only be on time or late, those are the only two possibilities. He is suggesting that 'early' is the effort to be on time without all the grief and serves one well. I have taken this to heart.
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 January 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaskar,

I find this thread to be of great benefit.

Does anyone here (Yajvan, EM) recommend any good sites to order ayurvedic things?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar,
    Does anyone here (Yajvan, EM) recommend any good sites to order ayurvedic things?
    Namsate satay,
    we will then post more... Here are some ideas.
    For various rasayanas and herbs I found this site good :http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/ I have been purchasing from them for years.

Dr. Lad's book ( and his web site) is worth a visit. http://www.ayurveda.com/

I have also spent time with Deepk Chopra... Very knowledgeable and $$ expensive - yet worth getting a news letter if he still does this. http://www.chopra.com/

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 January 2008 at 05:37 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar,

I can vouch for the quality of product and sponsor of this site: http://www.maya-ethnobotanicals.com/news.phtml

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought to post this simple treatment. According to Ayurveda, vata dosa is one of the factors that can bring dis-ease to the native. Vata is responsible for the retention and the eliminate of waste products in our bodies. ONe place this vata is seated is within the colon. So colon care is a wise decision for vata types and all of us. We know how uncomfortable we call can get if everything is just not 'moving'correctly, as vata owns movement.

A simple virechan (purgative or laxative) one can make in the kitchen is hot milk.
    • Start with milk - whole or what ever you use ( I Use 2% fat free)
    • Add a pinch of cinnamon
    • Add a pinch of ginger
    • Add 2 tablespoons of ghee all while the milk is heating up.
    • Just bring the milk to a boil and stop. The milk is ready once it starts to boil, not to continue boiling, then it is ready.
    This is excellent for both vata and pitta. Good for the winter months.
    Based upon your success you can decide to do this in the spring, and summer.

Some take this mixture in the evenings. I use this first thing in the morning.

But you say I am on the run ( ahhh! you are a vata). Not to worry. Stop at Starbucks and get a Chai lante... let them know you want it 180° hot. You are getting the 5 of the 6 tastes¹ with the chai + the hot milk and you are ready.

Are there other methods? Sure.. basti , or enema, but I recommend starting with hot milk + ghee and the herbs suggested.

pranams

6 tastes http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...20&postcount=5
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 January 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added (2) tablespoons of ghee to be specific
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Re: Ayurveda & nasya

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

Here is another simple remedy... 'Its winter in the north, my nose is always congested, or runny or dry or ...'

What can one do for this? Nasya or belonging to or being in the nose.
    That is, the therapy of cleaning the nose, jala-niti. Why do we care about this?
    • Easier breathing
    • Easier Pranayam practice for those that do this
    • Cleaning out particulate matter i.e. foreign substances
    • FYI - The nose is the door to the brain-mind complex
    There are various methods i.e. cleaning, nutritional, sedative and massaging. For now lets just offer the simplest , that of cleaning the nasal passages for easy breathing. And lets us the easiest mixture, salt water. This is then called jala-neti: jala is water and neti is the drawing of a thread through the nose and mouth. Yet in this 'neti' we are drawing water as the 'thread'.

Use Warm-to-cool water + a pinch of salt. The Salt needs to dissolve , so the water needs to be luke warm. If you error and use warm-to-hot , there is discomfort and the nasal passages expand ( due to the warmth) and this restricts air and water flow. So something to be mindful of.

Next you need a neti pot to put this solution into. These come in all shapes and sizes, styles ( plastic and ceramic). Mine cost $8.00.

So now the technique of doing jala-neti... a picture is worth a thousand words... this site does an excellent job demonstrating the method:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg
    • Do I do this my self? Yes.
    • Is it effective i.e. do I see results? Yes.
    • Why do I do it? I have allergies and get a stuffed up nose in the spring season.
    • How often is it done - Some do 2X per day. AM and PM. For me I do it 1X time in the AM and in the shower.
    • When should it not be done? According to Ayurved:
      a. after sexual relations
      b. after or during ( daaa!) eating
      c. after consuming alchohol
      d. during menstruation ( I do not know why)
    • My wife also does jala-niti and adds nasal drops called nasya oil after she has finished.
    • Nasya oil decongests the passages, lubricates ( for people with dry nasal passages, again a winter ailment, and vata stimulated) and in fact assists with awareness and concentration.
    • What's in nasya oil? sesame oil, olive oil, brahmi, calamus, skullcap, eucalyptus oil.
    • Where can you purchase a niti cup, some call nasya rise cup or niti pot? an the nasya oil. All can be purchased at any Ayurvedic shop.
      I use Banyan botanials www.banyanbotanicals.com . Many out there for your consideration. ZN recommends this site: http://www.maya-ethnobotanicals.com/news.phtml

happy breathing
    pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 January 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: corrected the URL; and spelling as usual!
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Re: Ayurveda & Imbalances

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

As we look to Auyrveda, most is about balancing the dosas of vata , pitta and kapha. But one must ask where do these imbalances (mala or blemish) come from? Were does dis-ease come from?

At times , the origins can be found in awareness, some negative thoughts and in ones emotions i.e. anger, fear and/or excessive attachments.
    • Fear, repressed fear, and a 'diet' of fear aggravates vata, and vata goes out of balance.
    • Anger, and anger in excess puts pita out of balance.
    • Envy, greed and excessive attachment creates a kapha imbalance.
    Has any one seen this list before? i.e. fear, anger, envy ,greed, and attachment?

I am always amazed at the notion of going to a scary movie and inviting vata imbalances. Or going to a boxing match as entertainment where the offer is overstimulation of pitta... or watching a food eating contest. In the USA, a big contest is how many hot dogs or hot (really hot) Chili Peppers ( not the musical band ) one can eat. Last year a guy ate 246 hot chili peppers. I just think of the havic, angst and exessive turbulance this has on all the dosas, let alone kapha imbalances.

Sometimes the imbalance starts in the body ( as in the eating contest) and then affects the thoughts and emotions of the native. That is, location, living food/eating habits start in the body and therefore influence the mind and emotions.

Say a person has a strong pitta constitution. Living in a hot climate will aggravate this dosha. Just a summer aggravates pitta in all natives. Ayurveda then suggests eating habits and recreation to pacify pitta in the summer months - cool drinks, fresh fruits, light exercise, water sports, to not overheat the body... like that, simple things for the normal seasonal changes.
    We also know from the last post that pitta is fire, agni, Mars. Pitta is found in the stomach as the gastric fire. Pitta and anger can give one stomach problems, due to the agni over-excitement.

Yet its interesting to note that agni is related to movement, to vata. Agni breaks down food, and the assimilation process for its distribution in the body. Vata as air, kindles agni, and bodily fire and can be found throughout the total body, as food/nourishment/oxygen/ energy is brought to every living cell in the body.

With balanced and healthy agni one finds intelligence strong as understanding too is kindled by this agni. Bright eyes are found in healthy pita predominant natives.

So what happens with this agni when constrained or impaired during digestion?
    • Proper kindling does not occur, food is not properly digested and ama is produced. Food components that has not been properly assimilated creates this material substance called ama. it clogs the system and is created when the 3 humors (tridosa) are out of balance.
    • Is that our only challenge? Nope - toxins , suggest Ayurveda, are created with the blemishes mentioned before i.e. fear, anger, envy ,greed, and attachment and in excess.
    • That is, we change and challange the flora of the system with these emotions i.e. excessive bile with aggravated pitta; repressed emotions aggravate vata which hinders agni ( like a good burning fire, good vata/air is needed); and with greed , excessive possessiveness, etc. kapha imbalances kick in. Coughs, colds, and congestion that just seems to be year 'round are with kapha inflicted people.
    So, we have lightly covered some of the 'piping' in us as ones constitution. We talked for a few min too on the importance of agni (digestive fire) being healthy and how emotions play a important role.
    There is another fundamental part to us humans as Ayurveda see it, and that is dhatu ( dhAtu or धातु ) - constituent part , ingredient, layer, essential ingredient of the body. Ayurved recognizes 7 dhAtu:
    • Rasa
    • Rakta
    • Mamsa
    • Meda
    • Asthi
    • Majja
    • Shukra
    It is with the help of agni these 7 dhAtu stay in balance and are fundamental to ones functioning and immune system.

Lets me stop here, as much has been said. We can pick up the 7 daAtu with the next post, and give their definitions for your consideration.

He alone is fire, He is the sun, He is the wind, He is the moon, He is the shining stars, He is Brahma, He is Prajapati... Yajurveda

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 January 2008 at 04:35 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    I will add their description.
    • Ashwagandha
    • Triphala
    • Gokshura
    • Guggulu
    • Hartitaki
    • Shatavarti
    • Pippali
    • Hingvastak
    • Sitopaladi
    Namaste,
    the remaining two herbs I have little to no experience with... thought to say that ahead of time. My reseach book suggests the following:

Hingvastak - as a herb mixture, it is one of the best digestive formulas for the vata (winter) Season. The digestive fire is kindled and minimizes gas and bloating, also assisting with 'regular' elimination. The ingredients are cumin, ajamoda, black pepper, ginger, pippli, mineral salt, asafoetida and fenugreek.

For me, I continue to use ginger for assisting agni along with the individual herbs of fenugreek, and cumin added to a meal.
    If anyone tries this Hingvastak , I would be intersted in your results.

Sitopaladi - an Ayurvedic immune boosing ad-mixture. This is also used ,they say, to relieve nasal congestion and throat discomfort. The best that I can see for the ingredients are the following: licorice, cane sugur, pippli, elecampane, casaka, amalaki, bibhitaki, hartaki, tulsi, cardamon, and cinnamon.

I have not used this mixture either. If anyone tries this, let us know of your results.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Re: Ayurveda & Imbalances

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

There is another fundamental part to us humans as Ayurveda see it, and that is dhatu ( dhAtu or धातु ) - constituent part , ingredient, layer, essential ingredient of the body. Ayurved recognizes 7 dhAtu:
    • Rasa
    • Rakta
    • Mamsa
    • Meda
    • Asthi
    • Majja
    • Shukra
    It is with the help of agni these 7 dhAtu stay in balance and are fundamental to ones functioning and immune system.
    Namaste,
    I thought to offer the definitions of the 7 dhAtu mentioned in a earlier post. These dhAtu are of great import as one effects the other i.e. they are linked together.
    Lets take a look:
    • Rasa - in Ayurved is considered plasma, containing nutrients from the digested food ( thank you agni). This brings nourishment to all the tissues and organs in the body.
    • Rakta - is the blood. It governs oxygenation ( again agni at work) in all the tissues, which maintains life.
    • Mamsa is our muscles. These muscles perform locomotive actions ( Vata) and energy (agni) , physical strength, and covers the vial organs and joints through-out the body.
    • Meda - is fat. It maintains the lubrication of the tissues, and is a storage device for additional energy.
    • Asthi - is our bones. This supports our frame, provides definition, and houses marrow ( or majja). This asthi is also protection for the brain, and houses the villiage of the senses, the backbone or spine.
    • Majja - is the marrow and nerves. This houses the immune system and carries motor and sensory impulses throughout the system
    • Shukra + Artav - is the reproductive tissues and contain the finest fluids the body can produce.
    From an Ayurvedic process view, rasa is transformed into rakta. This is then converted into mamsa, meda, and the other dhAtus. The system is highly intelligent as each dhAtu extracts the nutrients that are needed by them. WE can see why digestion and agni is so important. For all the raw materials need to be there for the dhAtus to do their job.

The Ayurvedic doctor will say there are three primary actions that happen in the process:
    • Irrigation - nutrients are delivered to the 7 dhAtus
    • Selectivity or discrimination - the dhAtus take what is needed for them to do their actions
    • Transformation - the nutrients are converted to what is needed to be built, replaced, nourished, fixed, or converted.
    So good health is dependent on these 7 dhatus and the 3 conversion processes mentioned. As I see it a highly self-intelligent system.

Maybe the next post can look at attributes of Vata-Pita-Kapha or the tridosa as they are called and maybe the 20 attributes (gunas as they are considered) that the tridosa affected. This list/observation is the works of

Charak-muni¹ the great Ayurvedic physician (viadya) understood that organic + inorganic + thoughts have these attributes and these 20 affects the human condition.

More as we continue.

Excessive eating is prejudicial to health, to fame, and to (bliss in) heaven; it prevents (the acquisition of) spiritual merit, and is odious among men; one ought, for these reasons, to avoid it carefully... The Laws of Manu, Chapt 2, sloka 57, translation by George Bühler

pranams

1. The father of Auyrved is Dhanvantari. His sisysas (students) that did much of the writing was Charak and Susruta.
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 January 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information