Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ayurveda

Ayurveda

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

saidevo wrote
    The Science of Taste
    The rishis have categorized the food we eat into six different tastes: sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter and astringent. These tastes become "tastes" only after they contact the tongue. Their qualities may change according to which phase of digestion they are in; for example, on the tongue the effect is called rasa, as the food enters the stomach we call it the virya or energy, and the post-digestive effect is the vipaka. Usually the rasa and vipaka are the same, with different energies shown by the different tastes.

Taste (or rasA¹) is a key element in Ayurved as it is considered part of the pa@cha tanm|ntras or 5 subtle elements .

Now according to Ayurveda this organ of taste, this rasan| is intelligent. Many time we are pointed to taste that the body needs. Some nutrient, so one begins to favor certain tastes and different times of the year. We all have heard of the pregnant mother that may have a 'taste' for something that seems upside-down to us , pickles and ice cream, etc.

It is suggested that one gets all six tastes for balancing the doshas i.e. vatta pitta and kapha.

That is what this post is about... in the USA, many have cornered the market on the first 3 tastes of sweet, sour and salty; what is missing is bitter, pungent and astringent. Many do not know the foods or condiments that may contain these other tastes. When only a few dominant tastes reign as ones major intake , then we reap the benefits of imbalance - overweight, overactive, illnesses, stresses and strains.

So I am not the final authority on Ayurveda as there are 8 departments, and this is just taste related. I thought to offer some ideas on spices other then salt & pepper [ big in the USA] and their taste component.
    Please add to the list: One must start the list with basil leaf or tulsi, considered sacred.

Basil - pungent rasa and balances kapha dosa; good for the heart and immune system. It's mentioned the basil is also purifying for the environment.
    Cardamom - sweet and pungent, good for vata dosa - also considered a tonic for the heart and assists with digestion.
    Cayenne Pepper - pungent and stimulates the digestive fire (agni) as will ginger root.
    Ginger root - called vishvabhesaj or the universal medicine. It is pungent and sweet; it pacifies kapha amd stimulates pitta ( digestive fire). Many use ginger to make a poultice and put this on aches and pains for relief.
    Fenugreek (seeds or power) -some call these methi seeds or power. The taste (rasa) is bitter, pungent and sweet. It pacifies vatta and assists with kapha. Its said this spice promotes healing and rejuvenation.
    Cumin - notihnh beats the smell of fresh cumin seeds. This spice cools the system, yet is a bit pungent to the taste. This pacifies vatta and kapha.
    Fennel - a universal balancer in Ayurveda, sweet and pungent. It is said to calm the mind. We find fennel combines well with coriander and cumin. Great for overactive pitta. You will find these 3 as a foundational ingredient in many rasayanas for digestion.
    Black Mustard (seed/power) - pungent, this again helps with digestion - especially of protein, so using it with legumes/beans has merit. This is to pacify vata and kapha.
    Black Pepper - pungent and heating effects on the system; good for cleansing ama or impurities. Too much for a pitta constitution will over heat the system, as will cayenne pepper. These peppers have a 'drying' effect and therefore good in the wet months, and for overactive kapha dosa. So a rasyana for reducing overactive kapha ( phlegm, excess-water, indigestion, lethargy) trikatu ( or the 3 pungents) is suggested. its made of black pepper + Ginger + pippali wihch is Indian long pepper. This really gets pitta stimulated ( lots of agni).
    Tumeric - this is one of my favorites.. not due to taste, but it contains bitter, astringent and pungent all in one... just what the doctor ordered for most people in the USA. Very purifying and cleansing and balances the 3 dosas.

Those are just a few - I did not add nutmeg, saffron, sesame, mint, bay leaves, etc.

One Ayurvedic ingredient this is good for the whole system is ghee. It builds and nourishes ojas, essential to ones wellness. Ojas is considered the sap of one's life energy - when strong it gives the individual health and immunity; when deficient it results in weakness, fatigue and ultimately disease, so the experts say. It is something one add-in daily without much fuss.

food is medicine , medicine is food...

pranams,

1. rasA (or rasā) is the tongue and is consdered taste. rasa is the plasma in the blood.

Additional conversations on Ayurved: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...20&postcount=5
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 January 2008 at 03:47 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Ayurveda

Om Shanti,
    What about ajwani (not sure of spelling) seeds? I just love to chew on them by themselves.

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwaunis View Post
    Om Shanti,
    What about ajwani (not sure of spelling) seeds? I just love to chew on them by themselves.
    Hiwaunis

Namaste Hiwaunis,
    Ajawayan (or ajwan) are of bitter and pungent rasa taste. This taste heats the system when digested. Good to use before eating as it gets the gastric fires (agni) ready to digest. It also relieves indigestion. Many find mixing this in with lentil dishes, beans, leafy veggies will minimize excessive gas. Yet if the lentils are eaten with rice , it makes more of a complete protein and less gas occurs.

If you find yourself hungry mostly throughout the day , then its the Ajawayan. If your constitution is more kapha, then this herb has the ability to naturally warm the system up.

If your constitution is high in pitta, then you may be geting too much appetite stimulation. Yet if you are finding no issues and alls well , you feel balanced, then there is the blessing.

If you like this sweet and pungent at the same time, and like something to calm to the mind... try one Cardamom seed. Very refreshing, nice on the breath , all that, and will not aggregravte Pitta ( I mention this in case you are pitta and still want a seed in your mouth).

See what you think, and hope this helps.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 28 November 2007 at 08:03 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

In the winter months (Vata influenced) we make our own soup... I call it the kitchen sink, as we put everything into it; Veggies + herbs , spices + ghee, etc. When it is all done we then take out the portion we wish to serve and put it into a blender and add sour cream to increase the thickness of the soup. It serves hot and its great.
    Its strait forward to make - to say its a recipe is a misnomer as you add in the amounts you think works for the soup.

Today we added the following -all is cut and cubed:
    5 to 8 quart ( 3 to 5 liters) pot filled with water
    Sweet potatos or red, or white potatos ( this helps make the base)
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Tomatoes ( do this in the last 1/2 hr or so).
    Red or green pepper
    1/2 stalk of fennel if you have it
    other veggies that you like - some like to add 1/2 chopped onion and clove of garlic
    I do not use Eggplant (aubergine or brinjal) for this recipe

Add
    Dill weed - not a pinch but a spoon full !
    sesame seed - both black and white ( takes care of Sani!)
    mustard seed
    poppy seed
    paprika
    fenugreek seed (menthi)
    coriander seed
    ginger
    rosemary
    basil leaf
    salt ( not too much as one can salt to taste per serving), yet stil god to add once the water has boiled
    pepper ( I am not a big pepper fan, so add as you like)
    some cumin seed
    Ghee - nice heaping table spoon
    basil

Let the water boil, then add your vegetables... wait till the boil returns then add all the herbs and spices. Let boil for at least 2 hours if not 3 on a low flame ; once the boiling start the notion is to keep it going but not a violent boil. Very important to keep the lid on, so all the steam stays within the pot. Yet this is not a 'pressure cooker' receipe.
    Stir often.

After the 2-3 hrs you are ready...taste to see all's well. What is key is to insure the potatos are soft. This will allow them to be easily blended. If they are not done , then the soup is not done. som folks micorwave the potatos first for 3 to 5 min to get them cooking first.

Once you are happy with the taste , then add your serving portions to a blender. As you blend, all the vegetables are then mixed all together , add in a spoon of sour cream... see if you like the thickness. If you do are done, if not add some more sour cream.

Once done , you are ready to serve... pour in to your soup bowl, put some fresh parsley on the top , some put a sprinkle of ginger or paprika on top, just a bit not a lot, then your parsley.

Hot, good, and has all 6 tastes, for the winter months for vata.

pranams,
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Ayurveda आयुर्वेद - the science of health or medicine; Ayus or आयुस् is life , vital power , vigour , health , duration of life , long life and veda we know as knowledge.

Taste (or rasa) is a key element in Ayurved as it is considered part of the pa@cha tanm|ntras or 5 subtle elements .

So I am not the final authority on Ayurveda as there are 8 departments, and this is just taste related. I thought to offer some ideas on spices other then salt & pepper.

Some Benefits I was reading today on the following:
    Cardamom - sweet and pungent, good for vata dosa - also considered a tonic for the heart and assists with digestion.
    One of the best sources for cineole, an antiseptic that kills bacteria of bad breath; breaks up chest congestion, fights bronchitis, colds, indigestion, inflamed moth and sore throat.

Cayenne Pepper - pungent and stimulates the digestive fire (agni) as will ginger root.
    Applied topically blocks pain transmission in arthritis's, diabetic neuropathy, cluster headaches, mouth sores, psoriasis and shingles. Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides.

Ginger - called vishvabhesaj or the universal medicine. It is pungent and sweet; it pacifies kapha amd stimulates pitta ( digestive fire). Many use ginger to make a poultice and put this on aches and pains for relief.
    Digestive aid, works well for overindulgence, motion illness and the like. Contains anti-inflammatory zingibain useful for arthritis and preventiing arterial plaque.

Fenugreek (seeds or power) -some call these methi seeds or power. The taste (rasa) is bitter, pungent and sweet. It pacifies vatta and assists with kapha. Its said this spice promotes healing and rejuvenation.
    Helps contol blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides.

Fennel - a universal balancer in Ayurveda, sweet and pungent. It is said to calm the mind. We find fennel combines well with coriander and cumin. Great for overactive pitta. You will find these 3 as a foundational ingredient in many rasayanas for digestion.
    Excellent digestive aid; useful ofr bronchitis, cough, and mucous membrane inflammation

Tumeric - this is one of my favorites.. not due to taste, but it contains bitter, astringent and pungent all in one... just what the doctor ordered for most people in the USA. Very purifying and cleansing and balances the 3 dosas.
    First rate anti inflammatory; the articels usgests tumeric defends against cancer. Potentally useful ofr Alzheimer's dis-ease, yet studies are still WIP.

Clove
    Contains eugenol that anesthetizes, kills bacteria and fungi, fights free radical oxidation, and helps thin the blood.

Cinnamon
    Eases allergies, relieves pain, fights the stubborn e.coli and fungi (candida), reduces gas ( good for many of the HDF posts I make ) and helps relax the muscles. Also R&D on blood sugar control is in the works.

Those are just a few

food is medicine , medicine is food...

pranams,

Additional conversations on Ayurved: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...20&postcount=5[/quote]
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Jigar Guest

Namaste

Growing up wearing braces, to maintain uncarbonated teeth from drinking Shasta, I brushed the use of these ingreds.

Haritaki

Sharashtri

Ajwanka phool

Nilgirika Tel

Pudineka

Sangjira

Lavingya

Pudineka

Wood Charcoal

Maste Nam
    1S

Quote Originally Posted by Jigar View Post
    Namaste

Growing up wearing braces, to maintain uncarbonated teeth from drinking Shasta, I brushed the use of these ingreds.

Haritaki
    Sharashtri
    Ajwanka phool
    Nilgirika Tel
    Pudineka
    Sangjira
    Lavingya
    Pudineka
    Wood Charcoal
    ... all ingredients at once? <<< >>>
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known. I will add their description and benefit as time permits.
    • Ashwagandha
    • Triphala
    • Gokshura
    • Guggulu
    • Hartitaki
    • Shatavarti
    • Pippali
    • Hingvastak
    • Sitopaladi
    Ashwagandha is one of the best vata-reducing and most commonly used herbs in Ayurveda. It is rejuvinating to the system while simultaneously calming the mind (a vata trait of highly active mind-thoughts) to promote a more restful sleep. It also balances the system and give strength, suggesting the strength of a horse ( ashwaghandha = horse smell); the herbal species name somnifera means "sleep-bearing" .
    So you have a rasanaya that gives strength and at the same time promotes restfulness.

Triphala - or 3 frruits. Another staple of Ayurveda. This is a detoxifying and gentle elimination supplement made of amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki fruits. As we have talked about Ayurveda and the 6 tastes&#185;, triphala contains 5 of the 6 tastes ( no salty taste). It is therefore a balancer of the system for vata, pitta or kapha types and helps keep balance of all the doshas.

more later.

pranams,

1. For the 6 tastes see: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...0&postcount=25
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 January 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known.
    • Ashwagandha
    • Triphala
    • Gokshura
    • Guggulu
    • Hartitaki
    • Shatavarti
    • Pippali
    • Hingvastak
    • Sitopaladi
    Namaste,

Guggulu - this herb is a purifier and one of the best for joint discomfort. It is also mixed with triphala. Hence the mixure would be called triphala guggulu. Joint discomfort according to Ayurveda is vata buildup. So guggulu is suppose to dispose of the deep seated toxins in the joints.

Gokshura- this is considered a tonic with a focus on the kidneys and reproductive system. For the kidneys it balaces fluid retention and cleansing of the kidney and urinary track. LIke most auyrvedic offers, it used in comnbination of other herbs for maximumn effectiveness.
    It is rare to see just one ingredient in an Ayurvedic tonic or supplement. This is why Ashwagandha was mentioned as the first post. It is just one herb, yet this herb is also found in other ad-mixtures for stess reduction and rejuvination tonics and mixtures.

Another side note on herbs used in Ayurveda. There is great interest ( and I hope great care) of when the herbs are harvested, the time, place, conditions are all taken into consideration. Picking at the wrong time diminishes a herbs potency. Just as storing the herbs in the wrong environment depletes its potency also.

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 January 2008 at 05:36 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    I thought to post a few Herbs and rasayanas that are used in Ayurveda. Here are a few , that are well known. Ashwagandha
    • Triphala
    • Gokshura
    • Guggulu
    • Hartitaki
    • Shatavarti
    • Pippali
    • Hingvastak
    • Sitopaladi
    Namaste ,
    Here's a few more ...

Shatavari - this is a rejuvenative herb for increasings ones energy. It also bolsters the immune systems and helps with digestion. In Ayurved digestion ( Or the fire of agni) is key to heath.

For the female, this herb has a certain affinity for the reproductive system to foster the reproductive process and a balanced monthly cycle. As a male, I cannot speak from personal experience on this.

Pippali - is part of the pepper family and therefore provides heat to the system. This heat is complementary to the digestive process as a digestive stimulant ( like ginger).

Digestion FYI:
    If one had to choose between the best of foods vs. the best and most robust digestion, digestion wins out. With a potent digestive system the rasa ( or ojas in this case) can be extracted from all foods and fluids.

Many illnesses come from the limited power of the digestion system. So the more one can assist this process the better.
    • It is suggested that no ice cold water or drink while eating a meal. This is standard fare in the USA - before you get your meal at a restaurant, you are served a large glass of ice water. Just what agni needs to be extinguished!
    • Wolfing down your food ( that would be me). As pitta-vāta constitution my appetite is robust, and eating is a function vs. entertainment. So food is consumed quickly for me, and I need to slow down. This is wise for vāta, as vata people are quick.
    • How do you know if you are vāta? One thing I to consider: Vātas are quick to remember things and quick to forget. There is lots of change and a desire for change, movement, dynamism, a thin frame - these are fundamental to vāta predominant person. Are these the only things? Nope, there are easily 25 more traits, yet these few helps one asks if "am I vāta constitution?".
    • For vāta , eating on the run is a natural. eating in a car ( traveling through akasha) is not suggested. I do not do this. This is one thing a person can do for their digestion that they can see the difference over time.
    • Here's one thing the Ayurveda doctor or vaidya, an expert (versed in his own profession , especially medical science) , skilled in the art of healing , will say: during your meals eat slowly, remaining calm and in the present e.g. not watching TV, doing a crossword puzzle, etc... then one is well on their way to balancing vāta.
    • Incessant internal chatter of the mind characterizes a vāta mind. For this , there are many herbs to assist ( I do not have this issue, yet know many that do - if one wishes to talk of the herbs, rasayanas to assist here we can do this).
    May I see for 100 years, live for 100 years, hear for 100 years; May I speak for 100 years, live in freedom and comfort for 100 years... Yajurveda

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 January 2008 at 05:36 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Thread Information