Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hindu view of Jesus

Hindu view of Jesus

What is the general Hindu view of Jesus? Is he an incarnation of God like Rama and Krishna, or was he just a man who taught his people to serve God? As a former Christian, I would be quite interested to know this. I remember the ISKCON people telling me that Jesus was a man empowered by God.

Arrow Re: Hindu view of Jesus

Namaste Scott,

You could try searching this forum for the term "Jesus", and you should find a wide range of views already submitted.

Post Re: Hindu view of Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Scott

What is the general Hindu view of Jesus?
    Namaste Scott,

Perhaps this summary of my own comments will help

Devotees of the enlightened teacher known as Jesus are essentially the same as devotees of any Hindu Guru, who is considered as a veritable God by his/her own followers.

Christians should remember that their Guru was but one in an endless succession of true Gurus and Avataras ~ as did the orthodox Syrian Fathers, at Nicea, when they voted AGAINST the proposition that Jesus was a God and not just a truly inspired human Guru.

Jesus Christ (iSu kRSTis) is a personification of Isha kRSNa, naranArAyaNa, the nArAyaNa, the kAlanara, and the avadhUta dattatreya.

iSu (“the arrow”) or Isha is surely sAdhu, and nArAyaNa (“the son of man”) is the perfect indu.

iSu is a personification of the IshopaniSad, and his 12 disciples are personifications of the 12 lines of the mANDukyopaniSad.

And nara-nArAyaNa svAhA is a likely source for the last words of Jesus.

nara (God the Father) nArAyaNa (the Son of Man) svAhA (my own self has been forsaken).

My God, My God, Why hast Thou forsaken me?

Jesus not only glorified nArAyaNa, but “son of man” is the name that Jesus most often calls himself in the Bible.

nArAyaNa is a regular patronymic form of nara ~ that is, nArAyaNa can be simply translated as “son of man”.

And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but nArAyaNa hath not where to lay his head. [Matt.8.20, Luke.9.58]

But that ye may know that nArAyaNa hath power on earth to forgive sins. [Matt.9.6, Mark.2.10]

For nArAyaNa is Lord even of the sabbath. [Matt.12.8, Mark.2.28]

He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is nArAyaNa. [Matt.13.37]

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I, nArAyaNa, am? [Matt.16.13]

For nArAyaNa shall come in the glory of nara, with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works. [Matt.16.27]

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see nArAyaNa coming in his kingdom. [Matt.16.28]

For nArAyaNa is come to save that which was lost. [Matt.18.11]

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of nArAyaNa be. [Matt.24.27]

And then shall they see nArAyaNa coming in the clouds with great power and glory. [Mark.13.26, Luke.21.27]

For nArAyaNa is as nara taking a far journey, who left his house. [Mark.13.34]

nArAyaNa indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom nArAyaNa is betrayed! [Mark.14.21, Luke.22.22]

And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, nArAyaNa is betrayed into the hands of mortals. [Mark.14.41]

And Jesus said, ahaM: and ye shall see nArAyaNa sitting on the right hand of shakti, and coming in the clouds of heaven. [Mark.14.62]

Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for nArAyaNa shall be delivered into the hands of men. [Luke.9.44]

For nArAyaNa is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. [Luke.9.56]

Be ye therefore ready also: for nArAyaNa cometh at an hour when ye think not. [Luke.12.40]

For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also nArAyaNa be in his day. [Luke.17.24]

And as it was in the days of nara, so shall it be also in the days of nArAyaNa. [Luke.17.26]

Even thus shall it be in the day when nArAyaNa is revealed. [Luke.17.30]

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when nArAyaNa cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? [Luke.18.8]

Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to AjñAcakra, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning nArAyaNa shall be accomplished. [Luke.18.31]

For nArAyaNa is come to seek and to save that which was lost. [Luke.19.10]

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before nArAyaNa. [Luke.21.36]

Hereafter shall nArAyaNa sit on the right hand of the shakti of God. [Luke.22.69]

Saying, nArAyaNa must be delivered into the hands of mortal men, and be divided. [Luke.24.7]

And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the devAs ascending and descending upon nArAyaNa. [John.1.51]

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even as the nArAyaNa which is in heaven. [John.3.13]

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is nArAyaNa. [John.5.27]

Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which nArAyaNa shall give unto you: for him hath nara sealed. [John.6.27]

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye that partake of nArAyaNa and his rAsa, ye have no life in you. [John.6.53]

What and if ye shall see nArAyaNa ascend up where he was before? [John.6.62]

Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up nArAyaNa, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as nara hath taught me, I speak these things. [John.8.28]

And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that nArAyaNa should be glorified. [John.12.23]

The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that kRSNa abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, the nArAyaNa must be lifted up? Who is this nArAyaNa? [John.12.34]

Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is nArAyaNa glorified, and nara is glorified in him. [John.13.31]

And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and nArAyaNa standing with nara. [Acts.7.56]

But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is nara, that thou art mindful of him? or nArAyaNa, that thou visitest him? [Heb.2.6]

And in the midst of the seven tongues of agni, one like unto nArAyaNa, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt with a golden cakra. [Rev.1.13]

And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto nArAyaNa, having on his head a golden crown. [Rev.14.14]

nara = brahma = bRMhan
    nArAyaNa = brahmA = abRMham

He who knows at the same time both the cause and the destruction, overcomes death by destruction, and obtains immortality through the true cause.

The penultimate words of the Isha provide the theme for Ishus’ crucifixion.

It is said that, as the mortal life of iSus kRSTi (“Jesus Christ”) was ending, he uttered the words of an ancient psalm:

My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?

And, likewise, the Isha upaniSad closes with the prayers of a dying man:

My breath reach everlasting Air! In ashes let my body end.
    OM! Mind, remember thou me; remember thou my sphere; remember thou my deeds.

And the sage is quoting the last lines from the ancient Yajurveda (“sacrificial revelation”).

My breath reach everlasting Air! In ashes let my body end.
    OM! Mind, remember thou me; remember thou my sphere; remember thou my deeds.
    By goodly path lead us to riches, Agni, thou God who knowest all our works and wisdom.
    Remove the sin that makes us stray and wander: most ample adoration will we bring thee.
    The Real’s face is hidden by a vessel formed of golden light.
    The Spirit yonder in the Sun, the Spirit dwelling there am I.
    OM! Heaven! Brahma!

Isha kRSNa was born among the pastoral yAdava clan, and
    iSus kRSTis was born among the agrarian kRSTayas.

kRSTi refers to a member of the pañca kRSTayas ~ the five Aryan tribes, or (more generally) the inhabitants of cultivated lands.

And iSus (ray of light) is cognate with indu (drop of light); and iSus kRSTis was an indu, for sure.

YHVH (the Father) is equivalent with nirguNa nara, while Jesus (the Son) is equivalent with saguNa nArAyaNa.

When Jesus says “I and my Father are One”, he is speaking of his essential nature, his own AtmA ~ the spirit of the Son is the same spirit of Father.

Isha kRSNa and iSus (“ray of light”) kRSTis (“teacher”) would both agree that nArAyaNa and nara are one and the same sacred essence. Indeed, naranArAyaNa is another name for kRSNa, and the name of naranArAyaNa is effectively saying exactly the same thing as “I and my Father are One”.

And from the perspective of a ray of light, there is no difference between its self and its source (that apparent separation being imposed only by outside observers).

Jesus experienced samAdhi and had knowledge of advaita.

“Behold the Man whose name is the Branch” ~ and behold the rudra whose name is sthANu !

The “Passion of Christ Jesus” is simply derived from the tapas kRSTeSu, and the kRSTayas have long praised agni (and thus also the rudra sthANu) as rAjA kRSTInAm.

Nazareth is the yoni, Bethlehem (the “house of bread”) is the navel, and the “twin city” of Yerushalayim (Yeru-Shalem) is the two-petalled AjñAcakra (the “control centre”, the ancient hub of command and local authority). And the life of Jesus is a tale of yoga sAdhana and final samAdhi, which does not require any particular geographical location or historical figure.

nara = shiva (Jehovah) = shani = sattva
    nArAyaNa = iSu (Jesus) = savitR = rajas
    nAra = yudha (Judas) = shukra = tamas

Three characters are required to complete the drama, but in truth there is only One ~ when it is also understood that Judas and Jesus are one and the same, the Christian story makes a lot more sense!

The Gita was surely composed in India some centuries before its fame spread to the Middle East and there inspired the kRSTayas (farmers, cultivators, or merely inhabitants of the land) to rise against the prevailing religious authorities and eventually to the establishment of their “new” doctrine as a supposedly independent religion.

In order to maintain their presumed authority, Christianity has been compelled to paint Lord Krishna as the exact image of its own Satan, as the devilish truth that should never be seen by faithful Christians, lest they realize that Jesus Christ was just one of an endless succession of Hindu Saints and that the Bible was compiled and derived from the far greater corpus of Sanskrit literature and age-old Hindu traditions.

All Christians would agree that Adam and Noah and Abrahm and Moses and John (the Baptist) and Jesus and John (the Apostle), all attained first-hand knowledge of God by direct experience. Indeed, all of the Prophets and Saints (by definition) must possess such divine Knowledge.

The Mandaeans (also Sabaeans or Nasoraeans) are Gnostics who lived long before Jesus Christ and still exist today (mainly in Iraq and Iran). The Mandae consider both Moses and Jesus as heretics, whose innovations led to the establishment of Judaism and Christianity as distinct religions. The Mandae (Sabae, Nasorae) are followers of John the (Gnostic) Baptist, as was Jesus himself before his own Samadhi (when his Gnosis was finally confirmed).

Moses was surely Gnostic ~ eyeh asher eyeh ~ and so too was John ~ ego eimi ho on.

I am that ‘I am’.

The Trinity comprises the Father (puruSa or brahma), the Son (nArAyaNa or viSNu), and the Holy Spirit (shiva, i.e. Grace).

aham brahma asmi ~ Yajus

ego eimi ho on ~ Exodus

I am that eternal Being ~ I am that Brahman

I am the very essence of ‘I am’ = I am Existence, itself = I am (I am) Brahman.

eyeh asher eyeh !

When Jesus says ‘I am’ ...

ego eimi ho on (I am that Being I am) = ahaM brahma asmi (I am [that] Brahman I am)

I am the every essence of ‘I am’ = I am Existence, itself = I am (I am) Brahman.

And anyone who wants to recall the triple crucifixion on “skull rock” only needs to apply the tripuNDra.

Re: Hindu view of Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMalaysia View Post
    What is the general Hindu view of Jesus? Is he an incarnation of God like Rama and Krishna, or was he just a man who taught his people to serve God? As a former Christian, I would be quite interested to know this. I remember the ISKCON people telling me that Jesus was a man empowered by God.
    Namaste.
    There is no "official stance" on anything in Hinduism, much less an "official stance" about Jesus. Many Hindus (especially those living in and/or born i the West) say that Jesus was a great sage of the Judah Province of Rome. Some believe he was an Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Some don't believe that he even existed.

Hello Scott,

I think the "Orthodox" Hindu view is to basically let Christianity be. (in other words Orthodox Hindus are very involved with and busy being -that- and thus tend to not get involved with all sorts of speculations or comparisons concerning Christianity or other peoples religions)

On the other hand there are many groups that are more or less quasi-Hindu, a famous one being that of Swami Yogananda who happens to really get into making serious correlations between Christianity and various spiritual aspects that have relationships to forms of Yoga and Hinduism. The book, "Autobiography of Yogi" goes deeply into that area.

I think one problem is that different religions are of different paths, and at some point one would have to choose between them or remain in a world of correlating concepts about them. (which is not really the point of either of the paths)

Om

Namaskar,Bob G

I tend to agree with you. Sanatan Dharm and Christianity are two distinctily separate paths. Each way of life generates different feelings. As a former Christian who has tried in the past to maintain a foot in both camps, I have come to realize that the two are incompatible. That is not to say that we should not accept and respect on another, but clearly there is no Sanatanist view on Jesus, even though one can draw certain parallels.

To try to draw correlations is simply to invite confusion. Committ to one path!

Pranam,

Devi

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Hello Scott,

I think the "Orthodox" Hindu view is to basically let Christianity be.
    Om

Namste BG,
    We have no pope for giving or ordaining a single view....perhaps this is a our blessing.

Let me offer the following. This may help this post and future ones.

Re: Orthodox and Unorthodox - maybe we can give a definition here so we have some guidance on these words and make them relevant.

āstika or आस्तिक which means there is or exists;
    nāstika or na+ astika नास्तिक or it is not so and this word nāstika नास्तिक is not believing, or atheistical.

So what does this mean? astika there exists , or a regard that the Vedas as infallible, the final word, with out doubt. Hence this is called Orthodox e.g. there exists the Vedas as the foundation of infallible truth.

nastika does not regard the Vedas as infallible or the final authority; Hence this view is considered Unorthodox.

So, what is considered orthodox ? Which schools that is? It is the 6 systems of Indian philosophy. We know them as Samkhya, Yoga, Vedanta, Mimamsa, Nyaya and Vaisesika.

And what is considered Unorthodox? ( this does not mean 'bad'). We have Jaina, Carvaka , and Buddhist.

Now when we say Hinduism, my question to you is which one?
    Vaishnava , Shaiva , Shakta , etc. One size does not fit all.. there are various views of the Lord.

Leaders of Satyam
    We do have various Shankaracharya's to the north, south east and west. These locations are called mutts or maths. Adi (the first) Shankaracharya² established the mutts:
    Jyothir Mutt at Badrinath in northern India; Sarada Mutt at Sringeri in southern India ; Govardhan Mutt at Jaganath Puri in eastern India and Kalika Mutt at Dwarka in western India.
    Later, Kanchi, from where he began his Bharatdarshan, too was declared a mutt, making it the fifth center of spiritual advancement.

The mutts were given unto the guidance of Shankaracharyas, realized Beings, established in Brahman. Yet one would say they do not reign over the all the sects or schools mentioned.

There is no one view, yet we are blessed as simple people that follow Sanatana Dharma or Arsa¹ Dharma ( the dharma of the rishis). There is a high tolerance and acceptance for other spiritual paths and their leaders and āchāryas (guides, gurus, preceptors, etc). Hence a 'standard view' of the Lord, much less Jesus the Christ is a discussion point.

Hope this assists some what...

pranams

1. Arsa or आर्ष means relating or belonging to or derived from; sacred descent from; the derivation from; And the sacred decent here is from the rishis, the seers of satyam - truth.
    2.More on Shankaracharya’s Monastic Centers see http://hinduism.about.com/od/gurussa...dishankara.htm as a reference.
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 December 2007 at 10:39 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hello Yajvan,

Thanks, I think you expound well on further information & or points; although I tend to shy away from rhetorical like formats or exchanges when one could just make a statement that covers the same.

saraswathi.jpg

Good day

Om

Namaste Devisarada,

Agreed, and well said.

That looks like one heck of a prize bull :-)

Good day.

Om

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Hello Yajvan,

Thanks, I think you expound well on further information & or points; although I tend to shy away from rhetorical like formats or exchanges when one could just make a statement that covers the same.
    Good day
    Om
    Namaste BG,
    I see your point. Pure statements on HDF without the audit trail, albiet efficient perhaps, has always raised additional questions.

My notion of offering a bit more is for the next question that was not requested, perhaps not even by you. I have found that the inquisitive mind takes in the info, ponders and then thinks ' but what about this?'.
    My Post was answering 'but what about this?'. And the first question is 'where did this come from?'

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 December 2007 at 05:29 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information