Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lists of Yogas

Lists of Yogas

I am not talking about types of yogas. But simply yogic methods to uplift us. For instance, I always thought I know all sorts of yogas that exist, but everyday, I am discovering more. Is there a place that list all of them? Yoga Nidra for instance, is a must but I only found out about it accidently.

Re: Lists of Yogas

Alright, forget about that, there are couple spiritual practice that I believe every man should give a try. Among there are Vipassana Meditation, Yoga Nidra, and Sattvik life style.

However, all of these were discovered by me accidently, do you guys know of more?

I am interested in yoga-nidra mainly because my nidra is not quite smooth. However can't find the cds or the books in my city. maybe i'll get of my a** and see if its available online in india.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

A great Yoga Nidra CD that I use almost daily is available from swamij.com and is also available from amazon.com. In India I don't know but the swamij site is worth a look.

Post Re: Lists of Yogas

Namaste,

There are 33 koTi devAs, so there must be at least 330,000,000 yogAs.

What is Koti devas and what does that have to do with how many yogas there are? Btw...I found these Yogas on Wikipedia...tell me if I am missing something. Or tell me any other good sites for such stuff....also any ways which is used for reaching salvation is considered Yoga in my definition...

• Tummo (T:gtum-mo; S:caṇḍālī) — the Yoga of Inner Heat (or Mystic heat).
    • Gyulu (T:sgyu-lus; S:māyākāyā) — the Yoga of the Illusory Body.
    These three first are considered the main practices of the completion stage (T:dzog rim; S:saṃpanna-krama) in the Anuttara Yoga Tantra . [3] [4]
    • Milam (T:rmi-lam; S:svapnadarśana) — the Yoga of the Dream State.
    • Bardo (T:bar-do; S:antarābhava) — the Yoga of the Intermediate State. This is well-known through the Bardo Thodol. Bardo yoga as the yoga of liminality may include aspects of Gyulu and Milam and is therefore to be engaged as an extension of these disciplines.
    • Phowa (T:hpho-ba; S:saṃkrānti) — the Yoga of the Transference of Consciousness, to a pure Buddhafield.
    Other yogas, sometimes grouped with those above, or set as auxilliary practices, include:
    • Forceful projection, into another body.[5] This technique may no longer be extant, or is kept secret. The forceful projection of the mindstream into the bodymind of another is a variation that consists of elements of Phowa, Ösel and Gyulu.
    • Keown, et. al. (2003) list a "seventh yoga" that is a variation of Phowa, in which the sadhaka by transference (grong 'jug), may transfer their mindstream into a recently deceased body.[6]
    • Kāmamudrā or "loveseal" (sometimes Karmamudrā or "actionseal") (T:las kyi phyag rgya). This is the tantric yoga involving a physical partner. Like all other yogas, it cannot be practiced without the basis of the inner heat yoga, of which kāmamudrā is an extension.
    • Nāropa himself, in the Vajra Verses of the Whispered Tradition, adds the practice of self-liberation in the "wisdom of non-duality" [7], which is the resolved view of Mahāmudrā and Dzogchen. But this is always considered as a distinct path.
    • There are many preliminary practices, and physical exercises called yantras, to the inner heat yoga. A good example of this is the visualization on the body as being hollow: "here the body and the energy channels (nadis) are to be seen as completely transparent and radiant". [8] This essential technique releases tensions and give suppleness to the prāna channels.
    Pranava yoga
    Bhakti yoga · Karma Yoga · Jnana Yoga · Raja Yoga
    Dream Yoga Surat Shabd Yoga
    Yantra Yoga

Shaivism's ways: Shaambhavopaaya, Shaaktopaaya and Aanavopaaya

Noble Eightfold Path.

Question Re: Lists of Yogas

Quote Originally Posted by skhandelwal

What is Koti devas and what does that have to do with how many yogas there are?
    Namaste,

Perhaps I should ask, what do you consider as the ultimate aim of all yoga? Or, what is "salvation"?

As devi says there is no object or an element or a patent (as it seems in this case) known as yoga in this earth, heavens or hells. Only the state when jivatman realizes the paramatman is called yoga. There can be only one yoga and several techniques which can somewhat help in attaining it. Traditionally yogic sadhana are 3 fold - Karma Bhakti tatha Jnanam ~ Work Devotion and Knowledge.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Salvation can be seen as Moksch/Nirvana/out of rebirth cycle which has more categories such as Arahat. Aim of yogas is to ascend one person spiritually/aid him/her on his/her path to salvation....therefore...any new method I find(even Osho's guidance to do whatever you please....I consider it a type of Yoga)

I know there can be infinite yogas possible...I was just talking practically about the ones discovered yet...I am looking to gain maximum benefits...but why did you pick the number 33 hundred thousands?

sm78....there are 3 ways to realize/understand...through love, experience, and knowledge....so yes you are right...but I don't think absence of one is necessarily gonna stop you...for instance...Kundalini Yoga involves none...It is similar to Raj yoga...just a method to control...perhaps the quickest way possible.

I found another Yoga...this is rather a local Yoga...but has content..therefore...I have no doubt it will soon be recognized internationally.

Amrit Yoga

Oh, and I also forgot to mention the most western culturally popular yoga; Hatha yoga up there.

Please add the ones I am missing.

Thank you.
    Last edited by skhandelwal; 01 January 2008 at 08:30 AM.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by skhandelwal View Post
    I found another Yoga...this is rather a local Yoga...but has content..therefore...I have no doubt it will soon be recognized internationally.

Amrit Yoga

Thank you.
    Namaste skhandelwal,
    when I read this string I am wondering if you are looking to list out the practices of yoga, the various paths and techniques , as I see a nice list.

Yet a look at yoga itself may be of merit, then one can say 'does this path bring me to this yoga?' ( at least that is my POV). That is there are multiple techniques, that bring one to yoga.

If we look to Patanjali, Samadhi Pada ( chapt 1) of his Yoga Sutras he says:
    sutra 1. 2 yogash citta-vrtti-nirodah
    • vrtti: A modification, patterned spinning, bias, recurring thought patterns; machinations, wave form vacillations, processing, fluctuations, unstable condition, bias, or your basic whirling of the mind thought, all that.
    • citta: mind-field: Field of consciousness.
    • nirodha: cessation, cancellation, null, dissolution, stillness, emptiness, or extinguished.
    • citta + vrtti: taken as a whole is the the wavering, vacillations, agitations, within the field of consciousness.
    The mind or ego identifies with the whirlings. A state of mind where the observer identifies with these permutations of the mind.

yogash occurs when citta + vrtti is nirodha (stilled, cancelled , ceased).

That is, yoga is there already, we need to just remove the 'noise level'.
    Just like a room filled with childen playing, jumping, etc. We remove the childern and the room is back to its state of silence...

So what is this state of yoga योग then... this yoking, connection, junction, union? It is being possessed of the SELF, of Atman. At all times 7x24x365.

pranams
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information