Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lists of Yogas

Re: Lists of Yogas

I understand that....but how do we get there is the question...I guess numerous yogas are just different ways....btw, here are some of them I have found definitions of.

Agama Yoga: Mental Hatha Yoga

Agni Yoga: Living through freeing the fire within by completing desireful acts.

Anahat Yoga: We all need something to rely on....this teaches to rely on yourself.

Ananda Marga Yoga: Sum of Pra'rambhika Yoga, Sa'dharana Yoga, Sahaja Yoga, Vishesha Yoga, and Rajadhira'ja Yoga.

Anusara Yoga: (Tantric philosophy + hatha yoga) What we see through our senses is god...Maya is within us...and it goes away through Hatha Yoga.

Vamachara Yoga(left hand path - tantric): Transgressive, Hardest, neither nondual nor dual.(Tamsic)

Madhyama Yoga(mid path - tantric): unemotional interpretation.(rajasic)

Dakshinachara Yoga(right hand path - tantric): asceticism and meditation.(Saatvik)

NeoTantra Yoga: Salvation through having sex.(together)

Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga: Purifies the body through heating it by Hatha Yoga postures.

Hatha yoga: based on freeing 3 muscular locks from our bodies; mula(root lock), udiyana(abdominal lock), and jalandhar bandha.(throat lock) Also frees 9 Dhristis Locks;
    There are, in total, nine drishtis that instruct the yoga student in directing his or her gaze.
    Each pose is associated with a particular drishti. They include:
    Angusta ma dyai: to the thumb
    Broomadhya: to the third eye, or between the eyebrows
    Nasagrai: at a point six inches from the tip of the nose
    Hastagrai: to the palm, usually the extended hand
    Parsva: to the left side
    Parsva: to the right side
    Urdhva: to the sky, or inwards
    Nabichakra: to the navel
    Padayoragrai: to the toes

For list of yogic postures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._yoga_postures

And last and probably the least popular...Mantras break the mental locks.

Bhakti Yoga: Easiest dual method, path of unconditional and unselfish love.

Bikram Yoga: Heat Yoga...based on practicing a subpractice of hatha yoga in 105°F (40.5°C) in 90 minutes.
    26 posturse aren't to be practiced on the same day but they are;
    # Sanskrit English
    1 Pranayama Series Standing Deep Breathing
    2 Ardha Chandrasana with Pada-Hastasana Half Moon Pose with Hands To Feet Pose
    3 Utkatasana Awkward Pose
    4 Garurasana Eagle Pose
    5 Dandayamana - JanuShirasana Standing Head To Knee Pose
    6 Dandayamana - Dhanurasana Standing Bow Pulling Pose
    7 Tuladandasana Balancing Stick Pose
    8 Dandayamana - Bibhaktapada - Paschimottanasana Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose
    9 Trikonasana Triangle Pose
    10 Dandayamana - Bibhaktapada - Janushirasana Standing Separate Leg Head To Knee Pose
    11 Tadasana Tree Pose
    12 Padangustasana Toe Stand Pose
    13 Savasana Dead Body Pose
    14 Pavanamuktasana Wind Removing Pose
    15 Sit Up Sit Up
    16 Bhujangasana Cobra Pose
    17 Salabhasana Locust Pose
    18 Poorna - Salabhasana Full Locust Pose
    19 Dhanurasana Bow Pose
    20 Supta - Vajrasana Fixed Firm Pose
    21 Ardha - Kurmasana Half Tortoise Pose
    22 Ustrasana Camel Pose
    23 Sasangasana Rabbit Pose
    24 Janushirasana with Paschimottanasana Head To Knee Pose with Stretching Pose
    25 Ardha - Matsyendrasana Spine Twisting Pose 26 Khapalbhati Blowing In Firm

Dahn Yoga: Improves energy system through qi(korean yoga), Mixture of Tai Chi, Hatha yoga, and Martial Arts exercises. Meridian Stretching, postures, meditation, etc. Perhaps the universal secret to physical strength.

I found another Yoga, it seems to be easiest, and can be accompanied by any other.

Pranava yoga: Focus on Aum through breathing...and one shall become one w/ brahman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranava_yoga

Thumbs Up Re: Lists of Yogas

Namaste Skhandelwal

The source of praNava yoga is the ancient prANavAyugA, and the blissful union is five-fold.
    From all 330 million possibilities, this is an excellent suggestion, for the true praNava cannot lead one astray!

Good Lord,

Is there a "yoga" for packing all those yogas (mentioned earlier) around?!

In doing even one small thing correctly, "big things" will then begin falling into place will they not?

Om

I think we have to be careful not to include some of the more recent 'yogas' that generally tend to lack validity and authenticity. For example, I think Bikram Yoga (at least, from the way it was portrayed on 60 Minutes, a tv program) is essentially nothing more than a commercial enterprise.

One more kind is Ishvara Yoga.

Wikipedia says:
    In a religious translation of Patanjali's Eight-Limbed Yoga, the word Īśvarapraṇidhāna means committing what one does to a Lord, who is elsewhere in the Yoga Sūtras defined as a special person (puruṣa) who is the first teacher (paramaguru) and is free of all hindrances and karma.

Īśhvarapraṇidhāna is mentioned in Patanjali's Yogasutras as follows:[3]
    Sanskrit: शौच संतोष तपः स्वाध्यायेश्वरप्रणिधानानि नियमाः ॥३२॥
    – Yoga Sutras II.32
    This literally transliterates as, "Śauca, Santoṣa, Tapas, Svādhyāya and Isvarapranidhana are the Niyamas". This is the second limb in Patanjali's eight limb Yoga philosophy is called niyamas which include virtuous habits, behaviors and ethical observances (the "dos").
    Ishvara-Pranidhana is listed as the fifth niyama by Pantanjali. In other forms of yoga, it is the tenth niyama.
    In verses I.27 and I.28, yogasutras associate Isvara with the concept Pranava (प्रणव, ॐ) and recommends that it be repeated and contemplated in one of the limbs of eight step yoga.[18] This is seen as a means to begin the process of dissociating from external world, connecting with one's inner world, focusing and getting one-minded in Yoga.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishvarapranidhana

Wikipedia also says:
    The Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali are 196 Indian sutras (aphorisms). The Yoga Sutras were compiled around 400 CE by Sage Patanjali, taking materials about yoga from older traditions.[1][2][3] Together with his commentary they form the Pātañjalayogaśāstra.[4]

The Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali was the most translated ancient Indian text in the medieval era, having been translated into about forty Indian languages and two non-Indian languages: Old Javanese and Arabic.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga_Sutras_of_Patanjali

Patanjali's concept of Isvara in Yoga philosophy functions as a "transformative catalyst or guide for aiding the yogin on the path to spiritual emancipation".[29] Patanjali defines Isvara (Sanskrit: ईश्वर) in verse 24 of Book 1, as "a special Self (पुरुषविशेष, puruṣa-viśeṣa)",[30]
    Sanskrit: क्लेश कर्म विपाकाशयैःपरामृष्टः पुरुषविशेष ईश्वरः ॥२४॥
    – Yoga Sutras I.24
    This sutra of Yoga philosophy of Hinduism adds the characteristics of Isvara as that special Self which is unaffected (अपरामृष्ट, aparamrsta) by one's obstacles/hardships (क्लेश, klesha), one's circumstances created by past or one's current actions (कर्म, karma), one's life fruits (विपाक, vipâka), and one's psychological dispositions/intentions (आशय, ashaya).[31][32]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishvar...ol_of_Hinduism

However, as I understand it, there is a special kind of stretching exercize made by a Russian yogist that he calls Ishvara Yoga.
    Here is him performing it:

There are also Yoga centers in the US titled Ishvara Yoga.

But I think that they are not connected with the Yoga Sutras' discussions on Ishvara, right?

Thread Information