Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri

Re: Searching HDFpuri

Namaste Sarabhanga.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    All members, when signed in, can use the simple search facility provided at the top of every page. And the advanced search facility refines the search to quickly find any appropriate pages ~ but once again, members must be signed in to avoid the security code, which is required to prevent dumb or malicious robots (or humans) making repeated pointless searches and slowing the operations of the whole site.

If there are any particular issues with the current search engine characteristics, they can easily be adjusted ~ so does any member have any comments about the functionality of the forum's existing search facility? And remember that you must be signed in to fully appreciate its operation.
    The main difficulty in the current HDF Search facility is that it is not 'acute' as Nuno puts it. I think it is required to be more precise and indicate the exact page in a thread in its results if not the specific post in that page where the search string appears.

For example, in the Advanced Search page, I typed the keyword 'Nadinatha', with the default 'extreme' conditions of searching: entire posts, zero or more replies, any date and search in Child forums. The search, however, throws up no matches!

However, if I type 'Nandikeshvara Kashika' as the keyword, two threads pop up as the search results:

Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri ( 1 2)
    Siva Sutras ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

As you notice here, each thread has multiple pages, and I have no idea in which page(s) the keyword appears. So I need to open the thread and manually search each page, many times using the browser's page search facility. This is tedious when a thread runs to several pages.

As against this type of results, would it not be far more convenient if the results pop up with the keywords in brief text under the thread/post titles as with the case of a Google search?

If providing the Google Search facility in HDF would slow it down and expose the Website to potential risks, we may perhaps think about a Master Index facility with the keywords of concepts, names and quote texts, etc. Now that HDF has become a valuable repository of Hindu texts, there is acute need to make it an efficient library of information, specially to the members for referencing and quoting in their posts.

Post Re: Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri

Namaste Saidevo,

Well, I just used the forum search to look for nandinatha, and found eight individual posts, with their first lines revealed, and the term nandinatha highlighted in every post when you view it.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sea...searchid=38746

From the advanced search panel, you can select "show threads" or "show posts", and if you select the former, you will get a list of up to 1,000 individual posts that all include the search term.

Re: Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri

Namaskar,
    The search function of the forum software we use is supposed to be very good. Though I am not the best user to provide feedback on this since I hardly ever use the search.

I have seen google offering 'search this site' type of search box which I think is easy to implement if there is need. I will check that...

Saidevo, please check out what sarabhanga has pointed out about the search. It does highlight the search text but you have to be logged in for full functionality.
    satay

Namaste Sarabhanga, Satay.

Thanks Sarabhanga for your tip to search for posts in the Advanced Search panel; I had left it to the default option 'threads'. Now it works fine as required. (I also made a spelling mistake in the keyword 'nandinatha' and had typed 'nadinatha' !),

Satay, I think this is alright; you may not think about including the Google search tool for the problems Sarabhanga has mentioned.

All's well that ends well!

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    I have seen google offering 'search this site' type of search box which I think is easy to implement if there is need. I will check that...
    A good thought Satay. I've done this before.

If anyone wants to search HDF specifically through google just enter the following in the search:

site: hindudharmaforums.com "xxxxxx" (replace the xxxxxx with the term or terms of interest. For example, if I were looking for nandinatha, I'd type nandinatha in the quotation marks).

The top search results should be the HDF pages. The rest will be where HDF has been referenced in other forums and sites.

Cool Re: Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post

If anyone wants to search HDF specifically through google just enter the following in the search:

site: hindudharmaforums.com "xxxxxx" (replace the xxxxxx with the term or terms of interest. For example, if I were looking for nandinatha, I'd type nandinatha in the quotation marks).

The top search results should be the HDF pages. The rest will be where HDF has been referenced in other forums and sites.
    Namaste Agnideva,

To search Google for "nandinatha" (for example) on HDF, without any results from other sites, just enter:
    nandinatha site:hindudharmaforums.com

What is the source text of this definition of Ishvara?

कर्त्तुम् अकर्त्तुम् अन्यथा वा कर्त्तुं समर्थः ईश्वरः

karttum akarttum anyathA karttuM samarthaH IshvaraH |

"He who can do, or not do, or do otherwise as he pleases."

Searching Google, I find (parts of ) this text variously attributed to Sankara Bhashya on Brahma Sutra, Bhagavat Gita and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

Post Re: Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Saidevo

What is the source text of this definition of Ishvara?

karttum akarttum anyathA karttuM samarthaH IshvaraH |

"He who can do, or not do, or do otherwise as he pleases."

Searching Google, I find (parts of) this text variously attributed to Sankara Bhashya on Brahma Sutra, Bhagavat Gita and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
    Namaste Saidevo,

From Shri Shankara's Bhashya on the Brahma Sutra.

janmādyasya yataḥ || I.1.2 ||

kartavye hi viṣaye nānubhavāpekṣāstīti śrutyādīnāmeva prāmāṇyaṃ syātpuruṣādhīnātmalābhatvācca kartavyasya |
    kartumakartumanyathā vā kartuṃ śakyaṃ laukikaṃ vaidikaṃ ca karma yathāśvena gacchati padbhyāmanyathā vā na vā gacchatīti |

1. janma jAt shudra sarve, karmeNu brahman bhavati
    2. brahma jnAnena brahmaNaH

It has become a fashion to quote the above lines as scriptural injections, but not one of them who use the quotes is sure about its source. This quotes are used on the Internet in communities like the Orkut, to bash brahmins born in their castes in a bid to deprive them of their right to practice Vedas, open the admission Vedic Schools and the traditional priesthood in ancient temples to everyone across the four Varnas.

What are the source of these lines? Are there any such other quotes?

Smile Re: Learning Sanskrit by Interaction at HDFpuri

1. janma jAt shudra sarve, karmeNu brahman bhavati
    2. brahma jnAnena brahmaNaH
    Namaste Saidevo,

I believe this is the source:

janmanA jAyate shUdraH
    saMskArAd dvija ucyate
    vedapAThI bhaved vipraH
    brahma jAnAti brAhmaNaH

Atreya smRti (141-142)

Thread Information