namaste

To speak in a general sense, many people will impute additional attributes to a person who may be extraordinarily gifted in one area or another. For instance, if a person is very brilliant then it will often be assumed that their words or actions which at first glimpse seem nonsensical or even offensive are assumed to be profound. So Einstein could utter something while out-of-his-mind drunk and when the preface "Einstein said ..." is spoken, people tend to not hear the words objectively.

Or if a person who is known to be very pious happens to say something foolish or do something silly then "There must be some deeper meaning,
a lesson for all of us to benefit from. Besides who are you to question such a personality?"

Not having grown up in Hinduism I have no problem separating a person's gifts from their character or wisdom. Logic helps and Patanjali's Yoga Sutra's seem to corroborate my belief that the existence of siddhis does not mean that the person displaying them is Self-realized or worthy of veneration.

Hari Aum

Osho always seemed like a genuinely insightful man who had much to teach, but ... http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/look-into-my-eyes