Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasal wash

Nasal wash

Have read of and have begun using a Neti Pot (nasal wash). Aside from being good for the nasal passages and an aid to breathing exercises, does anyone have personal experiences to share on its use?

Re: Nasal wash

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Have read of and have begun using a Neti Pot (nasal wash). Aside from being good for the nasal passages and an aid to breathing exercises, does anyone have personal experiences to share on its use?
    Namaste smith,

It is excellent. I do not know the yogic requirements but from practical experience I have noticed that often abnormal amount of water may remain undrained, in the nasal passage, without it being known. Bhastrika should be done to drain away clinging water and Bhastrika should be done without any strain, whatsover. The water used for neti should be tepid and slightly saline, to match body fluid, else headache may ensue.

Keeping the air passages clean also aids meditation which may follow the breathing exercise. Smooth, even rythmic breathing (without knowing it), is a critical factor for smooth meditation.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thumbs Up Re: Nasal wash

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste smith,

. The water used for neti should be tepid and slightly saline, to match body fluid, else headache may ensue.

Namaste atanu

Yes I do agree with you that the water should be tepid and slightly saline for the neti exercise.
    But more experienced doers of neti and people with inflamed sinus should and could use cold water without salt as the cooling and cleaning effect of cold water alleviates headache and cleans the bacteria's and small microbes from the sinus reducing inflammation.

Om namah shivaya!
    Last edited by Nuno Matos; 20 December 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Namaste

In truth the best nasal wash is done with sea water although it is not recommended to people with already inflamed sinus. It should be done as a prevention and general cleaning once or twice a year if possible and with hot weather especially if you are in the Northern hemisphere. Be careful with collecting sea water near the surf break! It may contain sand that may provoke injury's on your internal noose.

From "Kriya and Yoga" by Swami Satyananda Saraswati, Chapter 1, Topic 2 entitled "Hatha Yoga: Jala Neti":

The text explains that neti stimulates various nerve endings in the nose leading to improvement in the brain and organs to which these nerves connect. Stimulates ajna chakra, the midbrain psychic center.

Neti is helpful in curing colds, sinusitis, ailments of the eyes, nose and throat, catarrh and inflamation of the adenoids and mucus membranes. Effective in removing headaches, insomnia, tiredness. Soothing influence on brain can help relieve migraine, epilepsy, depression, tension, etc.

Be careful to do it properly. There are instances of severe inflammations due to performing neti wrongly.

Talking Re: Nasal wash

Jala Neti is wonderful. Once I would perform jala neti more often than using my toothprush.

Neti, Surya Namaskara & Nadi Shodan are wonderfully refreshing.
    Now I use the closest water source....tap<<<river>>>ocean.
    I prefer river or ocean as it contains rear end organic particulate matter providing homeopathic source.
    Swan(birds), Snapping turtle & Vishnu

Hari On
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

If interested, more on nasya or jala-neti can be read on this post:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...6&postcount=17

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Another thread to resurrect only because I stumbled upon it looking for Surya Namaskar. More on that later, as I found a Surya Namaskar thread.

http://www.neti-pot.com/rhino-horn-instructions.cfm

I have this plastic "rhino horn", haven't used it in ages though I need to start again.

I put 1 tsp. of kosher or sea salt in the container and fill with body temp. water (use an instant read thermometer). Then follow the rest of the directions.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

TBTL-I'm following you these days, but LOL, some common themes we seem to have! I've used a Neti pot many times due to migraine and intermittent nasal congestion related issues. I sometimes use the included pre-made sinus rinse, and other times sea salt. Sometimes the Neti helps, other times not so much, but I was thinking of getting back into using it on a regular basis as opposed to just here & there. I've used a bottle variant which is squeezed, thereby running the water up one nostril, out the other, but then also got a neti pot. I've seen them in both pharmacies and grocery stores-very easily obtained. I just need to read up more on what a general frequency is suggested as regular use would be logical. It's funny how a lot of this has been part of my life already. I'm vegetarian and believe in non-violence to all living things, I use a Neti pot, and I was drawn to yoga, and I've believed in the chakras for many years too. A lot of dots are getting crossed...

Thread Information