Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the proper way to address women in hindi?

What is the proper way to address women in hindi?

Om Shanti,
    I know of a few Hindu women that teach different portions of Hinduism. What is the correct/proper way to address them? Would I be correct in saying, "pranam guruji devi, or Mata (first name), or Matas (plural form)"? How would one properly address a female teacher of (future)kings? Guruji rajas?

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Smile Re: What is the proper way to address women in hindi?

Namaste Hiwaunis,

What could be better than mAtA-jI, or simply mA ?

Re: What is the proper way to address women in hindi?

Om Shanti Sarabhanga,
    I was eagerly awaiting your response. Somehow I knew you would be the one to come to my aid.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Hiwaunis,

What could be better than mAtA-jI, or simply mA ?
    Is this a respectful/formal way to address a female teacher? Most of these women visit USA from India maybe once or twice every 3 years. They are elderly and I don't know any of them personally. I would like to know the proper way to address them so that I can thank them for making such a long trip to teach us.

So you think mAtA-jI, would be proper?

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Wink Re: What is the proper way to address women in hindi?

Namaste Hiwaunis,

mAtA can indicate any mother, but the personified energies of the deities are called mAtA, and the term is generally used for any respected woman (especially an older female relative or any elderly woman).

mata is “approved, honored, esteemed, respected, liked, or desired”, and mAtA is a female with these characteristics. And in Hindi, mA is commonly used as a respectful appellation for any senior woman.

The concept of “Mother” conjures enormous respect in all traditional societies, but the “western” view is perhaps somewhat different. The falling from grace of “the Mother” in modern eyes was instigated by the Protestant Reformation, and Her status as something specially placed above all else is now officially denied by “feminist” notions of indiscriminate equality. However, if a veritable Goddess appeared before you, what would you say?

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwaunis View Post
    So you think mAtA-jI, would be proper?

Hiwaunis
    Namaste H,

It is what is in your heart, your being, when you voice this mata-ji.
    This is what will come though in the transmission of the sound. AS it is filled with respect for mA at that time, then she will know this.

Pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Hiwaunis.

Om Shanti,
    I know of a few Hindu women that teach different portions of Hinduism. What is the correct/proper way to address them? Would I be correct in saying, "pranam guruji devi, or Mata (first name), or Matas (plural form)"? How would one properly address a female teacher of (future)kings? Guruji rajas?
    Namaste,
    Hiwaunis
    I am not very conversant with the Hindi language, but I was a resident of Delhi and Hyderabad for quite a few months in my career. My experience was that in the normal society, women were addressed in Hindi as:

'ma' - (meaning mother) for those who are elder to you; this nicely suits women of many ages (even younger people). The corresponding terms in other languages (so far as I know) are: 'ammA' in Tamil, 'ammE' in Malayalam, 'ammAyi garu' in Telegu. 'ma' is the colloquial term for mother in English too.

'matA-ji' (meaning respected mother) for elderly women.

'behan-ji' (meaning sister) for women younger in age and are well known.

'bEti' - (meaning daughter) for women who are young enough to be a daughter.

Thus the traditional forms of Hindu address consider a woman as either mother or sister or daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Hiwaunis,

However, if a veritable Goddess appeared before you, what would you say?
    Oh mAtA, mAta, mAtA, mAtA, mAtA! I would not be able to say anytining else. Just thinking about this has brought tears to my eyes. My throat and tongue will not let me say anything else. My mind will not let me think anything else. Seeing that image has made me stop, close my eyes, bow my head and let my tears of extreme joy flow. I practically had to take a few minutes to compose myself.

Such a beautiful image, what a beautiful thought. Thank you Sarabhanga, thank you. I am still crying tears of extreme joy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Namate,
    Hiwaunis
    Last edited by Hiwaunis; 29 December 2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: misspelled word, omitted a word

Om Shanti All,
    Thank you very, very much for this wonderful information. This helps me out a lot. If there are several females do I just add a "s" to Mata-ji's? May I please ask another question? Is it not proper to address women as "teacher/guru"?

Namaskar,
    Hiwaunis

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Om Shanti All,
    Is it not proper to address women as "teacher/guru"?
    Hiwaunis
    Namaste H,

Depends on the personal relationship you have with with this person. When guru is used, many say guru-ji, also swami-ji is also used.
    It is also okay to ask 'how shall I address you ?'.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Post Re: What is the proper way to address women in hindi?

Namaste Hiwaunis,

In Sanskrit, the plural of mAtA is mAtaraH and the plural (normally masculine) form of jIH is jiyaH.
    And in Hindi, the plural of mAtA is mAtAyeM and the plural (feminine) form of jI is jiyAM

In Hindi, the plural of mAtAjI could be mAtAyeM jI or mAtAjiyAM.
    In Sanskrit, however, shrImAtaraH would be a better construction.

If you happen to be formally addressing a group of respected Indian women (particularly from northern India), I would suggest shrImAtAyeM. Although, my Hindi is far from perfect.

Of course, in Sanskrit, any respected person (especially an older relative or a teacher) may be called guruH (plural guravaH), and the specifically feminine term is gurvI (plural gurvyaH). And in Hindi, the masculine term is gurU and the feminine is gurvi or gurviNI (plural gurviyAM or gurviNiyAM).

Thread Information