Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do we worry?

Why do we worry?

Everything....all life's problems boils down this simple question....Why do we worry? According to Karma Yoga, we worry b/c we think about the consequences(analyze the situation instead of just listening to our hearts)....This actually makes sense...but it is very hard to follow practically.

Anyways, if thinking about the consequences leads us to fear about what if we loose, then the question I guess is...why are we so obsessed with winning?

Thank you.
    Happy New Year Everyone!

Re: Why do we worry?

Namaste,

IMHO,

Worry = attachment to the results.

In Bhagavad Gita, Krishna tells us again and again to be free from the attachment to results.

In my everyday life, yes I do worry. But when those worries surface, I question whether what I am doing or about to do is for the benefit of Siva. It's still a minor thought in my mind, but I'm trying to see all that I do as simply being a channel for Siva - he is actually doing, just doing it through me. That usually takes away any discomfort. Do I make mistakes and go against my own will? Do I buy in to ego? I like to think that I'm making progress by the mercy of Siva.

I don't want to come across as "preaching", am just trying to awknowledge the small changes that I'm making along the path.

Don't let "Karma Yoga" be an excuse to live things as they are. Krishna again tells us about right action. Right action = being free from the results and from the ego, doing all to please the Lord.

Along the path...

Aum Namah Sivaya!

Cool Re: Why do we worry?

But what are we attached to which makes us obsessed up winning? Is it how other people will judge us? Deepak Chopra says that if you don't want to be affected by other people's judgment, stop judging them. So may be, if I respect everyone, I will respect myself and become free from this attachment.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by skhandelwal View Post
    Everything....all life's problems boils down this simple question....Why do we worry?
    I have a different view on this matter... let me offer two points if I may.

Observation 1
    Life's problems you mention is connected to worry. I see worry based in fear , as you mention the 'worry' or fear of the outcome.

The Upanishads say dvitiyad vai bhayam bhavati or, certainly fear is born of duality. That is, whenever and wherever there is a sense of two, fear can exist. That there is 'me' and everyone and everything else, this is the sense of 2 or more.

Hence
    Worry is based in fear, fear is based in duality, duality is based in avidya or ignorance that more then One ,or Unity of this creation exists. This is corrected by kevalya.

why are we so obsessed with winning?
    Observation 2 - Why Do humans Like To Win
    Winning is the experience of achievement, of moving forward. This 'forward' is a sense of accomplishment, or attainment. Winning is a matter of accomplishing, yes?

Things, degrees, family, friends, cars, trophies, promotions, all that attainment suggests that I am more now then I was before; more fullness, closer to Bhuma. Yet no one ever achieves this Fullness of Being by acquiring more things.

Hence
    Nalpe sukham asti - finite things do not contain happiness - rishi Sanatkumara
    It is with this Fullness of Being that we feel and are complete, that the desire for more, for winning is quenched.

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 02 January 2008 at 12:32 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste All,

How about ask the question ... Who is it who is worrying?

Who is it who experiences fear?

Knowing That and staying as That in which fear and worry arises in actually allows the fear and worry to transform....

Don't judge fear and worry , deny it, or try and push it away...

All is Brahma.. including fear and worry.. All is welcome...

All simply allowed to arise and pass...

Love to All,
    Soul

From where does the "I' thought come...
    Go to That...

"Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent of everything you think, and of everything you do, is for yourselfand there isn't one."

Ask the Awakened (2002), Wei Wu Wei
    -----------------

A view
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

He who hath lost the fear of losing has no fear after all. I have seen one or two such individuals...lesson is selfless service and upasana are 2 things which surely work in this yuga.
    Last edited by sm78; 03 January 2008 at 09:31 PM.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste.

1. Worry arises out of fear. Fear is an emotion based on the thought of the unknown. Every human being except the 'jnAni' is bound to have this worry, this fear of the unknown. The prudent human learns to become 'aware' of the worrying act when the worry arises. This awareness gradually creates the indifference to the fruits of our action and lessens the suffering due to worrying.

2. The obsession of winning arises out of desire. Desire to acquire and possess. The ultimate goal is for such possession is happiness that often deteriorates to personal aggrandizement. The desire to win becomes positive when the mind is directed inwards for spiritual progress. In one sense even Brahman is obsessed with this 'desire to win back' all the manifestations into him; in the process he goes on with his cycles of creation and dissolution.

The constant self-assertion that 'aham etat na' (I am not This), our sagacious elders say, would gradually free a person from the afflictions of worry and the obsession with the fruits of winning.

Worry could also be said to be related to the apparent past or future, for if we are 100% in the eternal moment there is no time or energy left over for going into worry or fear.

Then again in the deepest of fears is the deepest of lessons. Thank you fear for that teaching!

masks.bmp

Cool post Soul,

CD5080-1.jpg

Good Day

Om

Thread Information