Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Satyagraha and Nonviolence

Re: Satyagraha and Nonviolence

Namaskar VCIndiana,

Still waiting for a reply on post 29 i.e. the exact shloka from Gita where the lord says the following as you quoted..

Quote Originally Posted by vcindiana
    Geeta goes further telling that the fruit of action is not even guaranteed. What a bummer? Love………………….VC

satay

This one?

karmaNyevAdhikAraste mA phaleShu kadAchana .
    mA karmaphalaheturbhUrmA te saN^go.astvakarmaNi ( 2.47)

You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty.

vcindiana has literally understood correctly, but the Gita verse does not say fruit of action is not guaranteed.

The correct meaning of the verse is - You have the right to act, and expect the reward, but do not think the reward is due to your act, but the blessing of God. And dont be disappointed if you are not rewarded because God is always just and the reward is guaranteed if you deserve it. No one will perform a karma without expectation( especially since many kAmya karmas are mentioned in the karma kaNDa) because there is no motivation otherwise. The fruit of action is guaranteed if the doer deserves it. For a karma yogi, he does karma only in the purpose of obtaining the grace of God, and the fruit of this karma, the grace of God is certainly obtained.

If a man prays for wealth, and works for it, he is certainly granted if he deserves it. ( if karma is favourable)

If a man does charity and hopes that he will get a place in svarga, he will get it.

If a man does charity, and thinks that God has done a favour for him, by making him an instrument for charity - this is karma Yoga. Its fruit is getting the grace of God, and cancels the fruit of svarga vAsa.

So it is not the karma that is important. It is the motive that matters. Every karma has its fruit. The particular fruit maybe desired and obtained. The particular fruit maybe traded for getting the grace of God by rejecting the fruit of Karma.

~RL

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar VCIndiana,

Still waiting for a reply on post 29 i.e. the exact shloka from Gita where the lord says the following as you quoted..

[/color][/i]
    Hello Satay: I read words here and there in scriptures and what ever I read challenges me and satisfies me. I am not here to impose my version on any one. It is just my POV.

If you do care please read in the thread “Where is God” under Canteen
    The postings 64 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2127&page=7
    and 74 http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2127&page=8
    Yajavan has nicely explained how a base ball player however prepared and executed well, cannot always be assured of hitting a home run.
    I did concur with him. I also looked at this verse in a different angle and I did find a secret code!! I am not bragging that I found something no one found it, but it speaks of depth of the scriptures. It is multidimensional and even paradoxical at times; there cannot be only one way to satisfy each one of us.
    Love..............VC

ps Did you have a chance to read my recent posting under Hindu morality ?

Thread Information