Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajna- The third eye Chakra(how to stop judging)

Post Re: Ajna- The third eye Chakra (how to stop judging)

Namaste Yajvan,

I have not disagreed with your comments on saMyama, and my post was mainly directed at your response to Rajalakshmi’s advice to Skhandelwal.

If you want to read other people's mind, have psychic abilities, be able to travel in time - you must first loose the desire to possess these abilities. When you run away from these desires, these siddhis will run after you. If you run towards these siddhis, they will flee at double the speed.
    I have a different view on this matter. If someone wishes to earn siddhi abilities, there is a method offered.
    Although, from your clarifications, it seems that perhaps you do not actually disagree with Rajalakshmi (?).

Your comments about gaining physical strength and collecting diverse knowledge all pertain to levels below the heart cakra, which are all relatively dualistic conditions. But saMyama occurs beyond the hRdaya, in the head cakras.

All desires create unnecessary attachments, so it is best to simply follow one’s dharma without thought of the potential rewards. And so, if someone wishes to earn siddhi, the first steps are to stop wishing for siddhi and to start working for samAdhi.
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 09 January 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Re: Ajna- The third eye Chakra(how to stop judging)

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,
    I have not disagreed with your comments on saMyama, and my post was mainly directed at your response to Rajalakshni’s advice to Skhandelwal.
    the first steps are to stop wishing for siddhi and to start working for samAdhi.
    Rajalakshni wrote,
    to be able to travel in time - you must first loose the desire to possess these abilities. When you run away from these desires, these siddhis will run after you.
    Namaste sarabhanga (et.al)
    thank you for your note... I think we're aligned. I did review rajalaskshni's post and the part that stimulated my post is shown above.

I think for me its all sorted out. I am in hopes we have given Skhandelwal some meaningful information. From what I read, I think so.

pranams
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

A quote for your consideration from the rainbowbody.com website:

"...The Seed Body, the Golden Seed, the Divine Body, Hiranyagarbha Kosha, the Tathagatagarbha Womb of all Buddhas.

Deep within the anandamaya kosha after all the karma has been cleaned up, there is only a seed potential. Here there is no sthula, sukshma, nor even karana shariras, the latter only in seed form. As such this is Siva in his absolute formless state, attributeless, nirguna, timeless but replete.

Here the unbounded essence of the mystery is unclothed, known without words in its utterless nakedness. Here the mystery of absolute emptiness (sunyata) devoid of any constituent thing and absolutely complete is represented as the infinite buddha potential that permeates all of time and space (the Tathagatagarbha). Here in the birthless state rebirth takes place or not. If it does it is not a birth driven by karma or conditions, but a divine birth, otivated by pure unconditional love.

This is the essential of all the essentials -- the heart of hearts (hridayam) -- the causal essence which itself has no cause -- the seed and womb -- containing the seed of all seeds, the impetus and chalice both, known HERE all ways, by the virtue of no words and no concepts -- by acceptance and non-acceptance -- by not doing and not not doing -- by being and not being -- through blessed peace -- through her Grace. I bow over and over and over again..."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Correlation in Chandogya Upanisad:

"That Self abides in the heart. The etymological explanation of heart is this: This one (ayam) is in the heart (hridi); therefore It is called the heart (hridayam). He who knows this goes every day in deep sleep to Heaven (i.e.Brahman, dwelling in the heart).

Namaste Eastern Mind,

Those were some fine rambling thoughts , thank you.

Eeeeeeeeeee

After all I have read, some of the knowledge hints this:

when we desire, we tend to procastinate...however, when we decide to do something, our desires for it end, we don't even get affected by the outcome, b/c we become so much addicted to the result, that we do not take no for the answer. So then what is desire?
    I am basing this on the philosophy of don't chase the result, only then the result will chase you.

However, another question is, why does it happen that (luckily in practical life), things we don't care about anymore, we receive, but the things we can't live w/o, we end up having to adjust our life w/o it?

Also,
    sarabhanga , could you please post the translations for the old bold words in that post of yours? Seems like really valuable information, only if I could understand most of its words. vbmenu_register("postmenu_19603", true);

And lastly, Bob G, thanks for appreciating my habit of nagging others for my curiosities. Your thank you is much welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    I have a different view on this matter. If someone wishes to earn siddhi abilities, there is a method offered, that of Samyama.

Samyama¹ - it is a technique or condition one can practice that is made of the following components, that is, when all three of these components are present (some say exercised) then one is practicing samyama -the three components are dharana, dhyana, and samadhi.

Dharana is this fixity or attenton , consciousness of a single object, idea, etc. and the other senses are withdrawn i.e. do not apprehend the object/idea at hand. some say one-pointed.
    Dhyana is that continuous flow of the same knowledge/idea in Dharana - some call this meditation. Continuoous flow of the onepointedness found in Dharana.
    Samadhi is when the object of meditation (dhyana) only shines forth in the mind, as if devoid of the thought and is considered concentrated mind ( not concentration or the act of, but again, resolved to simple one pointedness). When these three are in sync, and pointed to the same object of reference, then one is practicing samyama.

why do this? Patanjali muni says by mastering this, than the light of knowledge (prajana) dawns for the sadhu or native. It is by this samyama that one pratices the siddhi's called out in Patanjali work of yoga sutras.

More on this if there is interest, as we hve discussed this last year:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...45&postcount=5

pranams,

1. संयम or saMyama (some write saṅyama) holding together , restraint , control , (esp.) control of the senses , self-control; Yet these terms suggest effort,; Excess effort does not support this notion of over-extending or trying, as it suppresses that natural flow of consciousness.
    Hello shri yajvanji,

saMyama cannot be achieved as long as desire is present. Only a mind free from desires will be able to achieve saMyama.

Do you know that many people with ulterior motives would actually like to attain great siddhis and rule the world? Have you wondered why this rarely happens?

This is because siddhis are rarely attained by people who have desires. Those who wish to possess siddhis ( other than the siddhi of brahma-jnAna) will never be able to achieve saMyama, because perfect saMyama is achieved only where there is peace of mind, with mind undisturbed by unwanted thoughts. Desire for siddhis influence the mind in the form of 'building castles in the air' and 'day dreaming' which prevent one from attaining the levels of concentration needed to achieve saMyama.

So whoever attains siddhis attains them from never wishing to attain them. Some people fall a prey to siddhis after attaining them - and miss out on the real siddhi.

Siddhis can give great benefits to you and others. You can cure the illness of others in the form of parOpakAra - but do you know such an act would bring the karma onto yourself for unnecessarily tampering with the laws of God? You can do a lot of good for the world, and in the process acquire a lot of karma too. If siddhis are misused, it is even bigger disaster. Only the perfect jnAni will be able to properly use the siddhis - and he may have no need of them. Half baked siddhas who use siddhis may pay a heavy price in the long run.

~RL

Quote Originally Posted by skhandelwal View Post

could you please post the translations for the bold words in that post of yours? Seems like really valuable information, only if I could understand most of its words.
    All of the words should be found in a Sanskrit Dictionary. But if there is any particular term that requires clarification, please indicate.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajalakshmi View Post
    saMyama cannot be achieved as long as desire is present. Only a mind free from desires will be able to achieve saMyama.

Do you know that many people with ulterior motives would actually like to attain great siddhis and rule the world? Have you wondered why this rarely happens?

This is because siddhis are rarely attained by people who have desires. Those who wish to possess siddhis ( other than the siddhi of brahma-jnAna) will never be able to achieve saMyama, because perfect saMyama is achieved only where there is peace of mind, with mind undisturbed by unwanted thoughts. Desire for siddhis influence the mind in the form of 'building castles in the air' and 'day dreaming' which prevent one from attaining the levels of concentration needed to achieve saMyama.

So whoever attains siddhis attains them from never wishing to attain them. Some people fall a prey to siddhis after attaining them - and miss out on the real siddhi.

Siddhis can give great benefits to you and others. You can cure the illness of others in the form of parOpakAra - but do you know such an act would bring the karma onto yourself for unnecessarily tampering with the laws of God? You can do a lot of good for the world, and in the process acquire a lot of karma too. If siddhis are misused, it is even bigger disaster. Only the perfect jnAni will be able to properly use the siddhis - and he may have no need of them. Half baked siddhas who use siddhis may pay a heavy price in the long run. ~RL
    Namaste Rajalakshmi,
    first let me thank you for a well thought out post. Let me offer my POV and experience on this matter.

You mention,
    There is a lot implied here. While practicing saMyama and one experiences samadhi , then no desires are present, perfect samasta. So agreed, this is a desireless state.
    Yet while doing ones daily routine and desires flow, this activity does not prevent saMyama from being effective when practiced. That is, during daily activity there are desires...I wish to have a meal or a cookie , or I desire to read a book. I desire to sit in my room and meditate. All desires. None stop them from ones saMyama.

you mention,
    I am sure there are these people... the notion of my post is for saMyama to occur one need to practice meditation over time. Tamasic behaviors are reduced and begin their elimination, negativity is neutralized. The siddhis do not flourish till the stress, negativity and tamasic tendencies are resolved.

So the good news is, by ones practice to have siddhis blossom, purity is gained and the Ulterior motives become washed away... that is the best kept secret of this approach.
    So , if ulterior motives are the motivating desire that gets an individual to practice of Dharana & Dhyana, then so be it. By this method one becomes closer to the SELF, and ulterior motives soon become dissolved.

You mention the following,
    ...saMyama, because perfect saMyama is achieved only where there is peace of mind, with mind undisturbed by unwanted thoughts.
    I could not agree more. Please note, by practicing Dharana & Dhyana one increases their peace of mind.... This is why I welcome all that wish to pursue this. With a troubles-thrashing mind siddhis do not occur, of this there is no doubt. Yet over time, one gains peace of mind, a glimpse or flavors of the siddhis being to pop up. Sattva begins to take hold.

One thing worth mentioning as other may also be reading this post. Practicing samadhi as a technique does not happen. Samadhi is the result of Dharana & Dhyana blossoming. Samadhi is a state/ the state of Being, not a technique. So that is why I have said over and over again, this method is a self -regulating system, that is:
    • Siddhi does not blossom without samadhi
    • samadhi does not blossom without Dharana & Dhyana
    • Dharana & Dhyana removes the tamasic tendencies and 'blockages'
    • Dharana & Dhyana bring one to more harmony to ones personal dharma
    • Via these approaches above the small self and minute ulterior motives come to an end, for a larger purpose of gaining moksha
    • the above is the definition of a self-regulating system, under the care of this infinite Creative Intelligence that governs this universe.
    Now let me ask you question... have you read Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? Do you practice meditation, and saMyama? Do you speak from your own experience? And what did you find along the way?

You mention
    Desire for siddhis influence the mind in the form of 'building castles in the air' and 'day dreaming' which prevent one from attaining the levels of concentration needed to achieve saMyama
    I respect your POV here, but think differently about this matter, as mentioned in several posts so far. If while you are practicing saMyama and have these thoughts, then one is in these thoughts, not settled down to allow saMyama to be experienced.
    If these thoughts are entertained outside of meditation, then these are thoughts like any other thought or desire. No different then thoughts of wanting a new car, a trip, a vacation, meeting ones guru, going on yatra, etc. other day dreaming items. Achievement starts with an idea, a dream a notion. If you see them as detrimental, I see your POV but do not concur.

Last, everyone seems to gravitate to the most 'spectacular' siddhis when talking on this matter. Yet if one looks to the 3rd chapter, Vibuthi pada, and note some of the siddhis on compassion, friendliness, happiness, strength, calmness,movement of the stars, becoming fulfilled in appetite, having the knowledge of the workings of ones mind, having superb taste, hearing and the like.
    More robust siddhis require more stability and perminance of samadhi. More samadhi = higher states of consciousness and responsibity, purity, dharma. All self regulating to apply siddhis accordingly.

you also mention,
    Half baked siddhas who use siddhis may pay a heavy price in the long run
    Do you know of any sadhus in this condition? I know of none.

I have no reservations, not a speck of doubt that Patanjali's wisdom here serves the spiritual development of the sadhu.

Thank you again for the post, and your thoughts on this matter.

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 January 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Hello Yajvan,
    Near the end of your last post was:

"you also mention,

"Half baked siddhas who use siddhis may pay a heavy price in the long run" (RL)

Do you know of any sadhus in this condition? I know of none"

My comment:
    I know that all True Gurus warn of potential misuse of powers. Thus if such a thing has never happened why do you think there are always warnings from them about such happenings? (warnings that I feel are far more serious than just, or only the idea of not bearing fruit)

Om
    Last edited by Bob G; 10 January 2008 at 01:42 PM.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    My comment:
    I know that all True Gurus warn of potential misuse of powers.
    I will be happy to review the list you may wish to provide.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 January 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Thread Information