Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheese and milk

Re: Cheese and milk

I know that it seems incredible,but the italian vegetarina website has published a list of "vegetal rennet" cheese this afternoon!
    The list is very complete,so I am very happy,and if you want to know about italian cheeses,just ask me.

Re: rennet discussion...I wish I lived in Europe. Here in Canada, I once made some inquiries as to the use of rennet directly to the cheese companies. After considerable pursuit of the matter and several phone calls later, it came down to : "We have long term contracts with animal rennet suppliers, and it would be costly for us to break these contracts and switch over to vegetable rennet. I was not satisfied, but it seemed like one against a huge company, and at the time I had neither the time nor energy to pursue it. Aum Namasivaya

Here in the UK I woud say most 'national' cheeses in the supermarkets do not use animal rennet. This is especially true of the various Cheddar Cheeses. You'll find a 'suitable for vegtarians' marked on most of these cheeses. I think mozzarella is fine too.

Jigar Guest

Once again, this afternoon im having one of my favorites today. Milk boiled to a thick broth with tons of sugar. Basutti. Sour cream is optional. If you add rice you can have yourself some Dupaak puri. I tend to be lacidazical without my snacks. Two of my favs are Sev Khamun and Dhokra with tel.
    Last edited by Jigar; 12 May 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Namaste: I gave up eating meat not because of the hindu view but because of the way animals are being treated. Time was the animal was part of the family and treated with respect and love. Now it is just a product producing machine. Try the following link:

http://www.quitmeat.org.nz/Home-Page/

or you can even try peta - http://www.peta.org/about/

Nowadays we have visual evidence, videos showing how animals are being treated in these factory farms. So even giving up milk and other cow products may not be such a bad idea.

Namaste

It is extremely difficult here in France to track animal rennet. In fact, when choosing a cheese, if I want to check the ingredients, many French cheeses do not display them, all that are "traditional" & part of the "heritage", like Camembert, Ste Maure & many many more. I'd say MOST traditional French cheeses are curded with animal rennet, which, to us vegetarian hindus, is not logical (protect mother cow while killing its calf..!). It is very sad & disturbing. So if I go to a restaurant I have to avoid animal flesh as well as cheese because I know it's very likely there'll be animal rennet.
    Still there are several excellent cheeses made with vegetal or bacterian rennets. Sigh! But it has to be precisely depicted in ingredients or I won't buy it.

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one paying attention to this.
    In France, sadly enough, vegetarians are few. What to say of those who pay attention to rennet, we are VERY few!

Hare Krsna.

Thread Information