Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find my place within the Hindu religion

Trying to find my place within the Hindu religion

Namaste -

I have several questions that pertain to finding my path within the Hindu faith. Much of what I'll be writing has been on my mind for some time, but I haven't been able to find the answers that I'm looking for from the resources that I've used. Anything that you could suggest or offer would be greatly appreciated.

My experience lies mainly with ISKCON, and although I believe much of what they've taught, I have a few areas that make me uncomfortable. One is that I won't be able to be initiated because of my views on the 4th principle. I am also concerned because everything that I asked, no matter how detailed, seems to answered with "chant more" or "read more".

Before my introduction to the Hare Krishna's, I was "praying" to Vishnu. One of the questions I have is why don't we just pray to Vishnu instead of Krishna if Krishna is an incarnation of Vishnu? Is praying to Krishna the same thing?

I also don't know how to preform puja, aarti and darshan. The puja that I do daily (if you can call it that) is to Ganesha. I consider him my friend and guide. It consists of lighting candles, making an offering, lighting incense and chanting a mantra. Any resourse you could suggest to get me up to speed?

I've been emailing the Temples here in the city but have not had replies. Is it appropriate to visit?

How does one "choose" which God to worship? If I were to follow my heart, it would be Vishnu. Are there Temples devoted just to Him? If there isn't one locally is it best to choose a Deity that is local? I've also been reading books from the Himalayan Academy about Shiva.

Further, when is it appropriate to seek a Guru?

As you can see, I am truly lost. My beliefs are in line with the Hindu faith, but as someone at the starting line, it's been difficult to find my place.

Many thanks for anything that you might suggest.

Clay

I'll say it depends on your inclination. If want to resolve about God philosophically first and have the intellectual apetite for that best thing to do is by the set of 12 Upanisads and Bhagvat Gita and read and think. I think vedanta is the first step to hinduism if one doesn't want to get overwhelmed by cultural symbols and so many Gods. vedanta should natuarally this will lead to yoga and america is full with such schools i guess. Ofcourse many teachers are just businessman and one should be aware of this and travel the path alone in such a case, until one gets fortunate enough to meet a real teacher who suits our personal temperment and stage. This (lack of authentic soiritual teachers to common man) is the biggest hindrance to hinduism I think. Living in India~search for teachers haven't been easy for me. In such a situation one can take refuge in the classification of diksha and sikhsa guru. One can take initiation from anyone who has some knowledge to impart so, but wait for the real teacher. this is for those who are open to intellectual path.

[...]

But in that case too I'ud guess, in absence of a guru personal study and devotion and contemplation is the way till one meets one.

In most general terms, I think you need not to get worked up for not being able to attend a temple and do puja according the ancient science of rituals. Everyday we should try to learn and know a little more, drop by drop~thay way there is no stopping of progress however little. This has helped me, I would think it should help all.

Finally, my answer here was more speak my own mind and haven't answered you point by point or fully. because I can only say what I can feel. hope it may be of some help.
    Last edited by Bhakti Yoga Seeker; 14 May 2006 at 06:35 AM.

trying to answer more directly now

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith
    My experience lies mainly with ISKCON, and although I believe much of what they've taught, I have a few areas that make me uncomfortable. One is that I won't be able to be initiated because of my views on the 4th principle. I am also concerned because everything that I asked, no matter how detailed, seems to answered with "chant more" or "read more".
    If you are not comfortable then you should not get initiated.

Before my introduction to the Hare Krishna's, I was "praying" to Vishnu. One of the questions I have is why don't we just pray to Vishnu instead of Krishna if Krishna is an incarnation of Vishnu? Is praying to Krishna the same thing?
    It's all the same. In hinduism all Gods is the same God in many places and in different context. This is the right way to think. Ofcourse they are also different aspects of the same god_head and thus have different qualities~but that is monist thinking. Krishna is traditionally vishnu's avatar and he is the supreme personality of god-head for many monists as well. I think devotion to any will mean the same thing. If you go beyond devotion and look for guidance to action I'ud prefer krishna of Gita. he is the supreme guru (the real jagat guru or world teacher) or teacher for all hindus and not just Gd.

I also don't know how to preform puja, aarti and darshan. The puja that I do daily (if you can call it that) is to Ganesha. I consider him my friend and guide. It consists of lighting candles, making an offering, lighting incense and chanting a mantra. Any resourse you could suggest to get me up to speed?
    Hindunet forums have some guidance on worship of various god~satay may be able to point you out.

I've been emailing the Temples here in the city but have not had replies. Is it appropriate to visit?
    temples are not good in the virtual world. Why not give a call or pay a visit? Or try to connect to a like minded practicing hindu over the net who can then help you to a temple and ashram. But beaware of commercial enterprizes who sell hindu spirituality to spirituality deprived by cash heavy folks of the west. I don't want you to come out of hinduism with a bitter taste in mouth and becoming an anti sanatana dharma preacher for many lives. I think his happens and all these businessmen of spirituality are big asuras in hinduism, it is saddning. trust your heart and intuition and judgement.

How does one "choose" which God to worship? If I were to follow my heart, it would be Vishnu. Are there Temples devoted just to Him? If there isn't one locally is it best to choose a Deity that is local? I've also been reading books from the Himalayan Academy about Shiva.
    Vishnu should be the deity for you in that case, but a real guru can only guide not me. there are many temples dedicated to vishnu.

when you think you can't do without one
    however don't loose a day and try to learn more everyday.
    Also remember the diksha guru and sikhsa guru difference as well.

As you can see, I am truly lost. My beliefs are in line with the Hindu faith, but as someone at the starting line, it's been difficult to find my place.
    I was born a hindu brhamin and found myself drift long distance away and fully confused about my religion. So I guess it is natural. hinduism is so vast and offer so many choices vis-a-vis a one book dogma on god like organised western religions, that confusion is very likely.
    That's why I mentioned getting the intellectual part clear if you have the apetite for it. Such study and contemplation is itself a sadhana and great way to prepare one self for serious journey in hinduism. Most well known and capable western hindu's have am intellectual approach and I'm begining to think it is one of the best way to place hinduism to west so that culture doesn't come as a shock and truth is established first. This should even hold for vasihnavism and time spend in studying and contemplating bhagavatam cannot go to waste

Regards

Clay[/quote]

Offering Puja is Vishnu is very simple.

It consists of Lights (We use vegetable oils and ghee; ghee is good, candles are also OK), Camphor, incense sticks, Sandol wood paste, Kumkum (or Chendhur). Order makes no difference. Final closure can be done by Camphor

Keep good water in a small container with a spoon. Suggest to isolate vessels used for Puja and use it only for puja

What ever vegetarian food you cook offer it God mentally and sprinkle holy water on it.

If you can help me with the languages you know, I can help with other chantings and prayers slokas

Namaste -
    I have several questions that pertain to finding my path within the Hindu faith. Much of what I'll be writing has been on my mind for some time, but I haven't been able to find the answers that I'm looking for from the resources that I've used. Anything that you could suggest or offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Namaste,

Maybe U try to get some idea of Shri Vallabhacharya's Vaishnavism and Shrivaishnavism? These two traditions are IMO most serious among existing nowadays.

Then, Guru is needed. Pray to Shri Hari, and He will bring U to Ur Guru. Bhakti and Atma-samarpana is essential.

Namaste -

Clay
    I just want to add that I practically mirror your sentiments, with the exception of ISKCON. With respect to local temples, is it more appropriate to call, or write a real letter as opposed to email? I just don't understand why there's been no answer.
    To add my two cents to your questions, tho of course I am speaking as a humble beginner such as yourself....my instinct would tell me you should follow your heart, which in your case, would be Vishnu.

In my opinion, ISKCON is to Hinduism as Jehovah's Witnesses is to Christianity. On the other hand, generally the more you chant (purely of course) and the more you read, the more progress will be made but it takes time. I'm not sure what you mean by the 4th principle because I don't know what order you are putting their four regulative principles or what order they list them in. I agree and disagree to some degree with their regulative principles because it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to become a renounced monk, you should be a celibate, free from intoxicants, meat-eating, and gambling. That is my opinion. On the other hand, if you prefer to live a balanced lifestyle (material and spiritual), then ultimately you have to be the one who decides what is best for you. I am a vegetarian and think that abstaining from meat is valuable toward spiritual progress. I disagree with ISKCON's principle against the use of intoxicants. I actually find that intoxicants improve my meditation and focus in spiritual matters.

Who you pray to is a personal choice of yours. Nobody should judge you based on who is your primary deity of worship. Any Hindu who gives you a hard time because you pray to a different god is bogus.

The best thing would be to visit the temples and find some good association with other Hindus. You will meet plenty of Hindus by going to these temples and chances are some of them will be able to give you tips on performing pujas, aartis, or other rituals that you are interested in. Each temple should have a pujari (priest) that is knowledgable in the rituals performed at that temple.

The key IS to follow your heart. Nobody has any business telling you which God to worship. That is a personal choice of yours. I don't believe you can make much progress in spiritual matters if you don't follow your heart. Following your heart is very important in spiritual matters.

This is a tough question. I don't have a guru but have always wanted one. The problem is that I have been unable to find someone I would consider taking as a guru. I tend to keep my spiritual "guard" up very high perhaps making it difficult to find one I would take as my guru. This is something that generally takes time. Having a guru is a big step in spiritual progress and should only be done when you feel you are ready. You have to be able to trust that the person won't lead you astray and you still have to give yourself a "reality check" to make sure that your guru isn't filling your head with nonsense. Until you find a guru, there are many ways to continue spiritual advancement including positive spiritual association, reading the scriptures and other valuable writings, mediation, prayer, rituals, chanting, etc. Good luck. Namaskaar. ~BYS~

Just a side note on guru...it is said that the guru finds you when you are ready!
    satay

Thank-you all for the specific suggestions. I now have several new ways to approach this. Sometimes the most simple advice turns out to be the best. I appreciate the encouragement. Being new and not knowing how to fit in is always uncomfortable, but I am grateful to the forum for all it provides.

Namaste -

Clay

[quote=Bhakti Yoga Seeker]In my opinion, ISKCON is to Hinduism as Jehovah's Witnesses is to Christianity.

I'd agree with you on that.

Thread Information