Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanskrit Language

Re: Sanskrit Language

Quote Originally Posted by amra View Post
    Walter Harding Maurer - The Sanskrit Language an introductory reader and grammar - a very good book for begginers everything explained step by step
    Namaste amra
    Just to mention that I bought "The Sanskrit Lanaguage" by Maurer as recommended. So far (up to page 60) my impression has been good, Maurer's style is easy to follow and he appears to gently ease the reader into verbs. My only improvement would be that there is no reference to chart to the Devanagari Alphabet, so one needs to print that off and carry with the book, which is already 888 pages. The book expectes the read to do exercises, so it might be accompanied well with a lighter book with tables and grammatical rules only (if anyone can recommend something comprehensive that does not teach, but rather provides verb/noun/sandhi etc tables for reference, please say).

Of course, I am grateful for the recommendation, I mention this for any others who may come across this thread thinking of investing in Sanskrit.

Two websites I recommend are:

http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/

and
    http://www.ibiblio.org/sanskrit/
    (best viewed in a non-Internet Explorer browser in my experience)

bahavaH dhanyavaadaaH

Re: Sanskrit Language

A gurukula situated in sylvan settings is ideally conducive for understanding as also for practising intonations, inflexions and pronunciations of this timeless language of the soul. Artificial & superficial urban environment is debasing to the spiritual hum that is this eternal mother known as sanskrit to the lesser mortals.

Thread Information