Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today Shree has given me a piece of her mind

Today Shree has given me a piece of her mind

In Bhagavatam Sage Bhrigu warned Shiva that His followers will live like vagabonds in penury. That is a bit frightening. But some say that Shree is Shiva Himself. Yajur Veda says that one who pours oblations to Agni and Vishnu prosper.

I have used blue fonts where it is intimidating. Please offer comments and solace.

In what kind of man or woman, does the
    goddess of prosperity always reside?

This question was asked by king Yudhishthira, and the answer is given by Bhishma in the Mahabharata, Anusasana Parva, Sec XI.
    Bhishma said:

Sree (goddess of prosperity said): I always reside with him that is eloquent, active, attentive to business, free from wrath, given to the worship of the deities, endued with gratitude, has his passions under complete control, and is high-minded in everything.

I never reside with one that is inattentive to business, that is an unbeliever, that causes an intermixture of races in consequence of his lustfulness, that is ungrateful, that is of impure practices, that uses harsh and cruel words, that is a thief, that cherishes malice towards his preceptors and other seniors, those persons that are endued with little energy, strength, life, and honour, that are distressed at every trifle, and that always indulge in wrath.

I never reside with these that think in one strain and act in a different one. I never reside also with him who never desires any acquisition for himself, of him who is so blinded as to rest content with the lot in which he finds himself without any exertion or with those that are contented with small acquisitions.

I reside with those that are observant with the duties of righteousness, or those that are devoted to the service of the aged, or those that have their passions under control, or those that are endued with cleansed souls, or those that observe the virtue of forgiveness, or those that are able and prompt in action, or with such women as are forgiving and self-restrained.

I reside with those women also that are devoted to truth and sincerity and that worship the deities.

I do not reside with those women that do not attend to household furniture and provisions scattered all around the house, and that always utter words contrary to the wishes of their husbands. I always avoid those women that are fond of the houses of other people and that have no modesty.

On the other hand, I reside with those women that are devoted to their husbands, that are blessed in behaviour, and that are always decked in ornaments and attired in good robes. I always reside with those women that are truthful in speech, that are of handsome and agreeable features, that are blessed and that are endued with all accomplishments.
    I always avoid such women as are sinful and unclean or impure, as always lick the corners of their mouths, as have no patience or fortitude, and as are fond of dispute and quarrelling, as are given to much sleep, and as always lie down.

I always reside in conveyances and the animals that drag them, in maidens, in ornaments and good vestments, in sacrifices, in clouds charged with rain, in full blown lotuses, and in those stars that bespangle the autumnal firmament. i reside in elephants, in the cow pen, in good seats, and in lakes adorned with full-blown lotuses. I live also in such rivers as babble sweetly in their course, melodious with the music of cranes, having banks adorned with rows of diverse trees, and resorted to by Brahmanas and ascetics and others crowned with success. I always reside in those rivers also that have deep and large volumes of rolling waters rendered turbid by lions and elephants plunging into them for bathing or slaking their thirst. I reside also in infuriate elephants, in bovine bulls, in kings, on the throne, and good men.

Lakshmi resides in that house in which...

I always reside in that house in which the inmate pours libation on the sacrificial fire and worships kine(cow), Brahmans and the deities.
    I reside in that house where at the proper time offerings are made unto the deities, in the course of worship.

I always reside in such Brahmanas as are devoted to the study of the Vedas, in Kshatriyas devoted to the observance of righteousness, in Vaisyas devoted to cultivation, and the Sudras devoted to the service of the three upper classes.

I reside with a heart firm and unchangeable, in Narayana, in my embodied self. In Him is righteousness in its perfection and full measure, devotion to the Brahmanas, and the quality of agreeableness.

I do not reside in my embodied form in any of these places that I have mentioned, except Narayana. That person in whom I reside in spirit increases in righteousness and fame and wealth and objects of desire.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Re: Today Shree has given me a piece of her mind

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    In Bhagavatam Sage Bhrigu warned Shiva that His followers will live like vagabonds in penury. ----

I never reside with these that think in one strain and act in a different one. I never reside also with him who never desires any acquisition for himself, of him who is so blinded as to rest content with the lot in which he finds himself without any exertion or with those that are contented with small acquisitions.

--Om Namah Shivaya
    Now the following:

Selections from Prayers and Meditations
    Compiled from the scriptures of India
    By Swami Prabhavananda and Clive Johnson
    From the book 'Prayers and Meditations'
    Vedanta Society of Southern California

This is the sum of all the scriptures
    There is no sight equal to learning, no austerity equal to truthfulness, no misery like passion, and no happiness equal to following the ideal of renunciation.

The secret meaning of the Vedas is truth; of truth, self-control; of self-control, freedom from all limitations. This is the sum of all the scriptures.
    Purity of conduct is the greatest purity. To think of God continuously, to worship Him, to chant His name and sing His praises – this is the best way of attaining the highest good.

----------------------------

Some wise and calm soul here in HDF has to reconcile two above teachings for me (indolent yet passionate).

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Sri Krishna to Uddhava
    He indeed is rich who is rich in virtues

Calmness is a steady flow of the mind toward God.
    Self-restraint is control of the organs of sense.
    Patience is bearing the burden of life cheerfully.
    Steadiness is overcoming the palate and the impulse of sex.

The highest charity is refraining from violence.
    Austerity is the giving up of desire.
    Valour is the conquest of one’s own self.
    To know the truth is to see the oneness of the Self with God.
    Truthfulness is true and agreeable speech
    as exemplified by the sages.

Purity is nonattachment to work.
    Renunciation is overcoming the world.
    Virtue is the treasure that men covet.
    I, the Supreme Lord, am the sacrifice.
    The greatest gift is the gift of knowledge.
    The greatest strength is the control of prana.
    Fortunate is he who meditates on My divine powers.
    The highest profit is in devotion to Me.
    Wisdom is removing false ideas of multiplicity
    and realizing the unity of the Self.
    Modesty is abhorrence of evil deeds.
    Excellence of character arises from disregard of worldly considerations.

Happiness is the transcending of both pleasure and pain.
    Misery is hankering after pleasures of sense.
    Learned is he who discriminates between bondage and freedom.
    Ignorant is he who identifies himself with the body.
    The right path is that which leads to Me.
    The wrong path is that which causes restlessness of the mind.
    Heaven is the domination of sattva in the mind.
    Hell is the predominance of tamas.
    The teacher who has realised his oneness with Me is the true friend.

He indeed is rich who is rich in virtues.
    Poor is he who is discontented.
    Mean is he who is not master of his senses.
    Godly is he who is not attached to objects of sense.
    Divine is he who has overcome both good and evil.

-Srimad Bhagavatam

Arrow Re: Today Shree has given me a piece of her mind

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Atanu,
    The only reason for doubt could be incomplete or inappropriate dIkshA.
    --
    Namaste Sarabhanga Ji,

Thank you very much for guidance. But, actually there is no doubt, else I would not have posted: "He indeed is rich who is rich in virtues", simultaneously. And the Diksha that has been passed down is: The fullest effort is the effort expended towards Meditation of God - Atman. That only is the fullest effort, since it requires FULL of one's mind.

When Shree talks of effort to improve one's lot, she cannot ignore this effort. True that Bhrigu cursed Shiva, who came down to Varanasi. In Varanasi, Shree gave Shiva something in secret. A Shiva lover has nothing to worry about. Shiva is infinitely stronger than Bhrigu and infinitely more cunning, if I may use that word. Scriptures do hide the Good. It is not in the surface of the Vak, but it is in the spirit of Vak.

Thank You,

Om

He indeed is rich who is rich in virtues.
    Poor is he who is discontented.
    Mean is he who is not master of his senses.
    Godly is he who is not attached to objects of sense.
    Divine is he who has overcome both good and evil.

----------------------
    This is the sum of all the scriptures

There is no sight equal to learning, no austerity equal to truthfulness, no misery like passion, and no happiness equal to following the ideal of renunciation.

The secret meaning of the Vedas is truth; of truth, self-control; of self-control, freedom from all limitations. This is the sum of all the scriptures.

Purity of conduct is the greatest purity. To think of God continuously, to worship Him, to chant His name and sing His praises – this is the best way of attaining the highest good.

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Shree Devi
    I never reside also with him who never desires any acquisition for himself, of him who is so blinded as to rest content with the lot in which he finds himself without any exertion or with those that are contented with small acquisitions.

I am only finding this portion of the above little hard to swallow ...

"I never reside also with him who never desires any acquisition for himself"
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Originally Posted by Bhu Devi

I am only finding this portion of the above little hard to swallow ...

"I never reside also with him who never desires any acquisition for himself"
    Namaskar SM,

You have zoomed on to the part that perplexed me. I think one has to at least desire acquisition/possession of God-Self. That is known as Subheccha in Advaita paralance. Else one can be like a stone?

This is how I thought about it.

Regards,

OM

Post Re: Today Shree has given me a piece of her mind

Namaste Singhi and Atanu,

shrI never resides with him who never desires any acquisition for himself.

shrI is inherent in brahmA; while brahma is sadAshiva, without any trace of mAyA, and such advaitam demands saMnyAsa.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Singhi and Atanu,

shrI never resides with him who never desires any acquisition for himself.

shrI is inherent in brahmA; while brahma is sadAshiva, without any trace of mAyA, and such advaitam demands saMnyAsa.
    Namaste Sarabhanga,

I agree. Om

Subheccha to attain saMnyAsa, is desire for sadAshiva, who is shrI as well as brahmA.

Om

Thread Information