Thread: Is Kali-Santarana Upanishad authentic

Is Kali-Santarana Upanishad authentic

Namaste all.
    By http://www.advaita.it/library/kaliasant.htm
    Om ! May He protect us both together; may He nourish us both together; May we work conjointly with great energy, May our study be vigorous and effective; May we not mutually dispute (or may we not hate any).
    Om ! Let there be Peace in me ! Let there be Peace in my environment ! Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

Hari Om ! At the end of Dvapara-Yuga, Narada went to Brahma and addressed him thus: "O Lord, how shall I, roaming over the earth, be able to across Kali ?" To which Brahma thus replied: "Well asked. Hearken to that which all Shrutis (the Vedas) keep secret and hidden, through which one may cross the Samsara (mundane existence) of Kali. He shakes off (the evil effects of) Kali through the mere uttering of the name of the Lord Narayana, who is the primeval Purusha". Again Narada asked Brahma: "What is the name ?" To which Hiranyagarbha (Brahma) replied thus:

1. Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare 2. These sixteen names (words) are destructive of the evil effects of Kali. No better means than this is to be seen in all the Vedas.
    These (sixteen names) destroy the Avarana (or the centripetal force which produces the sense of individuality) of Jiva surrounded by the sixteen Kalas (rays). Then like the sphere of the sun which shines fully after the clouds (screening it) disperse, Parabrahman (alone) shines."
    Narada asked: ‘O Lord, what are the rules to be observed with reference to it ?" To which Brahma replied that there were no rules for it. Whoever in a pure or an impure state, utters these always, attains the same world of, or proximity with, or the same form of, or absorption into Brahma.
    Whoever utters three and a half Crores (or thirty-five millions) times this Mantra composed of sixteen names (or words) crosses the sin of the murder of a Brahmana. He becomes purified from the sin of the theft of gold. He becomes purified from the sin of cohabitation with a woman of low caste. He is purified from the sins of wrong done to Pitris, Devas and men. Having given up all Dharmas, he becomes freed at once from all sins. He is at once released from all bondage. That he is at once released from all bondage is the Upanishad.
    Hari Om Tat Sat !

Om ! May He protect us both together; may He nourish us both together; May we work conjointly with great energy, May our study be vigorous and effective; May we not mutually dispute (or may we not hate any).
    Om ! Let there be Peace in me ! Let there be Peace in my environment ! Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

Here ends the Kalisantarana Upanishad belonging to the Krishna-Yajur-Veda.

My questions is:is this Upanishad authentic or is an invented scripture?
    Regards,
    Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God
    My questions is:is this Upanishad authentic or is an invented scripture?
    It belongs to the canon of Muktika, thus it is accepted as orthodox (at least formally). Historically it must be rather recent, as other sectarian Upanishads.

And the question of authentic vs invented is different. A text may be written just yesterday by an unknown author and be authentic in a sense revealed by God.

om saha navavatu |
    saha nau bhunaktu |
    saha viryam karavavahai |
    tejasvi navadhitamastu ma vidvisavahai |
    om santih santih santih |

"May God protect us (the Guru and the disciple). May we both enjoy the results (of this Upanishad). May we attain strength together. Let the study of this (Upanishad) be illuminating to both of us. Let us not show contempt for each other. Peace. Peace. Peace."

Verse 1

harih om |
    dvaparante narado brahmanam jagama katham bhagavan gam paryatan kalim santareyam iti |
    sa hovaca brahma sadhu prsto asmi sarvasrutirahasyam gopyam tacchrunu yena kalisamsaram tarisyasi |
    bhagavata adipurusasya narayanasya namoccaranamatrena nirdhrtakalir bhavati |

"At the end of Dvapara Yuga2, Narada3, after traveling the world, approached Lord Brahma4 and asked him: 'How may I overcome the (evil effects of) the Kali Yuga2?' Brahma said: 'You have asked me an excellent question. I shall reveal to you the secret of all Vedas, by which you will cross over the (ocean of) samsara5 filled with the bad effects of the Kali Yuga. This secret must be preserved and protected. By merely uttering the names of the Primeval Person, who is Bhagavan Narayana, one is freed from the clutches of Kali.'"

Verse 2

naradah punah papraccha tannama kimiti |
    sa hovaca hiranyagarbhah |
    hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare |
    hare krsna hare krsna krsna krsna hare hare |
    iti sodasakam namnam kalikalmasanasanam |
    natah parataropayah sarvavedesu drsyate |
    iti sodasakalavrtasya jivasyavaranavinasanam |
    tatah prakasate param brahma meghapaye ravirasmimandaliveti |

"Narada asked again: 'What are those names of Narayana?' Lord Brahma said: 'O Hari, O Rama, O Hari, O Rama , O Rama O Rama, O Hari, O Hari! O Hari, O Krishna, O Hari, O Krishna , O Krishna O Krishna, O Hari, O Hari!6 This collection of sixteen names (of Narayana) destroys the evils of the Kali Yuga. I don't see any other effective means (of liberation) in the Vedas. (This mantra) destroys the sixteen kalas7 of the living being, which constitute the veil of ignorance. Then the Supreme Brahman8 shines forth, just as the solar disc shines forth brilliantly when the clouds vanish.'"

Verse 3

punarnaradah papraccha bhagavan ko asya vidhiriti |
    tam hovaca nasya vidhiriti |
    sarvada sucirasucirva pathan brahmanah salokatam samipatam sarupatam sayujyatameti |
    yadasya sodasikasya sardhatrikotirjapati tada brahmahatyam tarati |
    tarati virahatyam |
    svarnasteyat puto bhavati |
    vrsaligamanat puto bhavati |
    pitrdevamanusyanamapakarat puto bhavati |
    sarvadharmaparityagapapat sadyah sucitamapnuyat |
    sadyo mucyate sadyo mucyate ityupanisat |

"Narada asked: 'O Bhagavan, what are the regulations or injunctions to be followed in chanting these names?' Brahma said: 'There are no regulations to be followed. By chanting these names always, whether in a clean or unclean state, a brahmana obtains the four kinds of liberation, salokya, samipya, sarupya and sayujya9. When a brahmana chants this mantra of sixteen names for a total of 35 million times, he becomes free from the sin of killing a brahmana. He overcomes the sin of neglecting his domestic fire. He becomes free from the sin of stealing gold. He becomes free from the offences committed against forefathers, demigods and human beings. He quickly becomes free from the sin of giving up all religious duties. He becomes liberated immediately; he becomes liberated immediately.' Thus the Upanishad."

om saha navavatu |
    saha nau bhunaktu |
    saha viryam karavavahai |
    tejasvi navadhitamastu ma vidvisavahai |
    om santih santih santih |

"May God protect us (the Guru and the disciple). May we both enjoy the results (of this Upanishad). May we attain strength together. Let the study of this (Upanishad) be illuminating to both of us. Let us not show contempt for each other. Peace. Peace. Peace."

Now my views on this Upanishad are as follows.

The reference to Dwapara Yuga indicates that this Upanishad is made up later. Scholars indicate that this Upanishad was added later much after Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. This is an authentic text for Gaudiya Vaishnavs. For Bhaktha of God, this does not belong to Sri Vaishnav Sect as such

Leaving the sectarian views behind, this upanishad seems to be authentic for two counts 1. There are many followers for this upanishad and 2. This does not contradict the views of 5 great Vedanta Philosophies of Hindu Religion
    Last edited by Jalasayanan; 11 May 2006 at 12:00 PM.

Thread Information