Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are these verse authentic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalasayanan
    Where did Srikanta terms his philosophy as Visishtadvaita was my question? Who are others to ascribe this name to his text?
    Scholars, and i have named at least two.

What Shaiva texts got to do with Paancharaatra. Amongst Ekayana, Paancharaatra had distinct followers who learnt only Paancharaatra, hence it was preserved. Ekayana sakha period is time period before Krishna Dwapaayana Vyasa. It is for you to dig out other followers of Ekayana. Just because others do not exist now does not invalidate this claim.
    I understand that Pancharatrins believe in this, but why there is no textual or historical proof of Pancharatra being a Vedic school?
    We can trace Pashupatism to Vedas, but not Pancharatra. The earliest references to it appear in some parts of Mahabharata.

ShriKanta's philosphical quest is in line with Shaiva Siddantha, his philosophy is identified by scholars as Saiva Advaita and not as Visishtadvaita.
    For differences of Shaiva Vishishtadvaita of Shrikantha from Siddhanta-Shaivism see G. V. Tagare "Saivism: Some Glimpses", p. 96-97.

Apart from Brahmamimansa-bhashya of Shrikantha, promoting Vishishtadvaita, there is a Shrikara-bhashya of Shripati (1200 A.D.), establishing Visheshadvaita (or Shaktivishishtadvaita) of Vira-shaivism.

In ShB 2.1.5.13 Shripati lists seven epithets of Vira-shaiva doctrine: DvaitAdvaita, VisheshAdvaita, SeshvarAdvaita, ShivAdvaita, SarvashrutisAra, BhedAbheda and ShaktivishishtAdvaita.

Hi Arjun

Nice debating with you.

I trust by this kind of discussion more info will be flowing, hence I was working on this lines.

Because of the Mods behaviour, I am moving out, All the very best.

Hi Arjun
    Nice debating with you.
    I trust by this kind of discussion more info will be flowing, hence I was working on this lines.
    Because of the Mods behaviour, I am moving out, All the very best.
    Namaste,

and all the best to U too

What proof of the loss?

Paancharaatra does not consider itself as superior authority as such. It indicates Veda as superior authority. Authority of Paancharaatra is the authority of veda for it was a part of Veda (I am using the term WAS because that part of veda is lost now)

This is interesting. First, consider the Veda as the Pramana -- the truth. Then claim that some part of the truth is lost and silently adding "I only am privy to the lost truth".

Can the truth be ever lost? What is your faith on God then? This may be nothing but a means of propping up some verses as shruti or to put a dead mind querying along the correct path. I feel the latter is the purpose of God through using the ego of a few men.
    Last edited by atanu; 23 May 2006 at 10:41 AM.

Unhappy Re: Are these verse authentic?

I moved this post to the new thread 'Vedic Authority' under Hindu Gods.
    Last edited by varuna; 01 November 2006 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Moving Post

Thread Information