Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Namaste,

Why do we seek pleasure outside ? When we find pleasure in something ... why can't we keep doing that thing non-stop getting non-stop pleasure ? .... why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

i) Does the pleasure come from the objects of pleasure ? If that was the case then it would keep coming from the object non-stop & there would have been no case of boredom. If the pleasure is a creation of mind, why an external object is required at all ?

ii) For pleasure, there must be a desire for the experience. Where does the desire come from & why ? How do we have a sense of satisfaction or a feel of enjoyment when we are fulfilling "our" desires ? Do "I" create my desires & satisfaction ? Or are they created on their own ? If there is something created within me which is making me miserable or happy without my knowledge, then certainly, there is something which is not in my control within me !

iii) Are we really basically unhappy from within ( some fault in our design) that there is an unending biological need to seek happiness outside ?

Thoughts ?

Regards.
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Post Re: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Namaste Devotee,

The desire is compelled by karma, and when the karma is complete the desire disappears. But for so long as there is karma pending the next compulsion will surely arise in its place.

Extinguish all personal desire, and all personal karma is dissolved.

And all karma arises from the perception of dvaitam without knowing advaitam, so that by the realization of advaitam all previous karma is likewise dissolved.

In dvaitam there is satisfaction and dissatisfaction, while in advaitam there is only sat.

And the experience of that timeless equanimity is infinite pleasure in itself, without any object, without any personal desire, without reason and without end.

Re: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Pranam sarabhanga ji

What comes first Desire or Karma?

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Smile Re: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post

What comes first Desire or Karma?
    Namaste Ganeshprasad,

In dvaitam (the perspective of nAra), the chain of causation is endless, with past karma instigating new desires, which compel further selfish actions, which can only accumulate more karma, and the cycle repeats.

But in dvaitAdvaitam (the perspective of nArAyaNa) the first cause of karma is realized as the kAma of brahmA for brAhmI.

And in advaitam (the perspective of nara) the first cause is realized as mAyA, and all karma is dissolved, with only akAma (unintentional) shiva remaining.

Pranam Sarabhanga ji

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post

In dvaitam (the perspective of nAra), the chain of causation is endless, with past karma instigating new desires, which compel further selfish actions, which can only accumulate more karma, and the cycle repeats.

But in dvaitAdvaitam (the perspective of nArAyaNa) the first cause of karma is realized as the kAma of brahmA for brAhmI.

And in advaitam (the perspective of nara) the first cause is realized as mAyA, and all karma is dissolved, with only akAma (unintentional) shiva remaining.

Thank you , please forgive my naivete, so that there is no question of misunderstanding on my part.

As I understand nAra in dvaitam = men

Only nArAyaNa as I know is Vishnu, lying on Ananta sesh or Sankh Gadadhari Chaturbujh.

In advaitam nara = man or Purush, eko.
    please feel free to correct me

In first scenario there is no scope to know what was first desire or karma kind of like chicken or egg situation.

In second desire seems to be the cause.

In last advaita m maya is the culprit but how?

For me desires seems to be what binds us in this world and being free form them leads to cessation of Karma yet it does not answer why desire in the first place.

iccha-dvesa-samutthena
    dvandva-mohena bharata
    sarva-bhutani sammoham
    sarge yanti parantapa

All beings in this world are in utter ignorance due to the delusion of dualities born of likes and dislikes, O Arjuna. (7.27)

yesam tv anta-gatam papam
    jananam punya-karmanam
    te dvandva-moha-nirmukta
    bhajante mam drdha-vratah

Persons of virtuous (or unselfish) deeds, whose Karma has come to an end, become free from the delusion of dualities and worship Me with firm resolve. (7.28)

jara-marana-moksaya
    mam asritya yatanti ye
    te brahma tad viduh krtsnam
    adhyatmam karma cakhilam

Those who strive for freedom from (the cycles of birth) old age and death by taking refuge in Me know Brahman, the individual self, and Karma in its entirety. (7.29)

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste Ganeshprasad,

Namaste Sarabhanga,

Excellent post, maybe one of your most clear succinct and enlightened post. It is producing great insights I am shore.

Light Re: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Namaste Ganeshprasad,

puruSa = nAra = brAhmaNa = dvaita = vaishva = nandana = shiSya = karma = mAyA

Through the delusion of duality, born of desire and hatred, all creatures in this world are fallen prey to infatuation. [BG 7.27]

puruSa = nArAyaNa = brahmA = dvaitAdvaita = viSNu = nantavya = Isha = kAma = mAyA

But those virtuous men, whose sins are forgiven, being freed from delusion of duality, worship me with a firm resolve in every way. [BG 7.28]

puruSa = nara = brahma = advaita = shiva = ananta = sheSa = kam = satyam

Those who have taken refuge in me, striving for deliverance from old age and death, they know brahma, the whole adhyAtma, and the entire field of karma. [BG 7.29]
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 03 February 2008 at 09:41 PM.

Namaste Devotee,

The desire is compelled by karma, and when the karma is complete the desire disappears. But for so long as there is karma pending the next compulsion will surely arise in its place.

Extinguish all personal desire, and all personal karma is dissolved.

And all karma arises from the perception of dvaitam without knowing advaitam, so that by the realization of advaitam all previous karma is likewise dissolved.

In dvaitam there is satisfaction and dissatisfaction, while in advaitam there is only sat.

And the experience of that timeless equanimity is infinite pleasure in itself, without any object, without any personal desire, without reason and without end.
    Namaste Sarbhanga ji,

I think your post has said it all ! ( its is a very good post & hence I copied it as it is here.) Thanks.

IMHO,

The desire for happiness has its roots in "forgetfulness" of Non-duality with SELF. There appears an un-ending search for peace, love, happiness ... which is basically the search for the Non-dual state. Once established in Non-duality, the craving, the search ends. Because we don't know our True Nature, we keep on searching "happiness" outside where it is not really there & so the boredom comes from whatever we tend to cling to.

Regards
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Pranam Sarabhanga ji

You gave me three different answers, yet it does not satisfy my original question as to what comes first desires or Karma.

In the first perspective the answer can not be ascertained.

In the second it is desire of brahmA for brAhmI as you say.

How does this make jiva responsible for their action?

And in the third, mAya is the cause, then the question arises who is being affected by mAya?

There are no clear cut answer, what else is there to do but heed this advise from Lord Krishna.

na rupam asyeha tathopalabhyate
    nanto na cadir na ca sampratistha
    asvattham enam su-virudha-mulam
    asanga-sastrena drdhena chittva
    tatah padam tat parimargitavyam
    yasmin gata na nivartanti bhuyah
    tam eva cadyam purusam prapadye
    yatah pravrttih prasrta purani

The real form of this tree cannot be perceived in this world. No one can understand where it ends, where it begins, or where its foundation is. But with determination one must cut down this tree with the weapon of detachment. So doing, one must seek that place from which, having once gone, one never returns, and there surrender to that Supreme Lord from whom everything has began and in whom everything is abiding since time immemorial.

Jai Shree Krishna

Post Re: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad

You gave me three different answers, yet it does not satisfy my original question as to what comes first desires or Karma.
    Namaste Ganeshprasad,

I have answered as clearly as I can, and if you cannot understand the answer there is little more that I can say on the matter. For you it seems that the origin of karma will forever remain a mystery. But when advaitam is known there is no mystery at all!

In the first perspective the answer can not be ascertained.
    In the second it is desire of brahmA for brAhmI as you say.
    How does this make jiva responsible for their action?
    brahmA is ultimately responsible for all apparent action, but since the first birth of an individual jIva the responsibility for any subsequent actions within the frame of creation lies entirely with that jIva.

A jIva is NOT responsible for the whole of creation, but it is entirely responsible for its own particular karma, and that is called “free will”.

And in the third, mAya is the cause, then the question arises who is being affected by mAya?
    In advaitam there is NO mAyA, and any question of causation becomes irrelevant.

There is no clear cut answer.
    Well, I have given a clear cut answer!

Thread Information