Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Re: Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?

Pranam Atanu ji

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post

It is good that we agree. IMO, it is also prudent to recognise that an advanced Yogi's status need not be same as mine
    Om

Lord Krishna Advises one to surrender to such advanced yogi, I have no illusion of my status and if I come across disrespectful I apologise.

Shri Krishna himself has taught that the truth is known in Samadhi. Patanjali says that one's nature is known when all movements in mind get stilled in Samadhi. Upanishad's teach of Abheda.
    Lord Krishna has taught many different ways to arrive at the same truth, Bhed Abeheda vad has been with us and debated, by many advanced souls, I have no grasp of any, that is not to say I have no preference.

And logic says that if Atman is one and indivisible then what is this me -- different from everyone? Face on the mirror is very near description (though not accurate as expected). Say, if I had no perception of touch and I was blind to immediate objects (my body), I would imagine that the face on the mirror is me. Similarly, since, the Self is imperciptible, so we see only the mind and its thoughts and believe the thoughts to be me.
    Advaita is very difficult to percieve in face of duality which very much apperent.

Atma and paramatma are both indiviable, only that parmatma that reside in all appears as divisable, I believe upanisad does talk about two birds on a tree.
    And Krishna says

Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. bg 2.12

Mind and thoughts are changing all the time yet there is within this me that remains constant which accumulates Karma, through unending desires. if I was just bundle of thoughts or budhi then all this upadhi would disappear at the time of death.

Another example (used in Shiva Purana as cited by Agnideva) is of one true sun and its many many images in many ponds etc.
    There are different ways one see the same example, without the existence of many ponds one true sun is truly alone.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Pranam suresh

Quote Originally Posted by suresh View Post
    "When advaita is known...." isn't an answer but an evasion, because one is questioning the very validity of the thing to be known. When the validity of an experience itself is in question, one cannot say, 'experience it and you'll know its validity.' That's as illogical as saying, 'once the round square is known, you'll never doubt its validity,' when the very possibility of its existence is being denied, so where's the question of experiencing and then knowing it to be valid?

Very good question but then the subject matter is beyond the realm of logic,

Supreme Brahman is one without a second he/she is known in many different forms.
    To some he is the super soul within the heart to some he is nirvikar , nirguna and yet some see him as Bhagvan.

He is not knowable by perception, turned inward or outward, nor by both combined.
    He is neither that which is known, nor that which is not known, nor is he the sum of all that might be known.
    He can not be seen, grasped, bargained with.
    He is undefineable, unthinkable, indescribable.
    The only proof of his existence is union with him.
    He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.
    This is the fourth condition of the self- the most worthy of all. (Mandukya Upanishad)

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam Atanu ji
    Lord Krishna Advises one to surrender to such advanced yogi, I have no illusion of my status and if I come across disrespectful I apologise.
    Namaskar Ganeshprasad ji,

No. No. No question of my perceiving any disrespect etc. I just pointed out that the truth can be known in different flavours at different stages.

Lord Krishna has taught many different ways to arrive at the same truth, Bhed Abeheda vad has been with us and debated, by many advanced souls, I have no grasp of any, that is not to say I have no preference.
    Lord Krishna has spoken at many levels. He has said a Yogi sees all in Me and Me in all.

Advaita is very difficult to percieve in face of duality which very much apperent.
    Does it prove the truth of duality as the ultimate truth? Because Advaita cannot be perceived, so Abheda srutis are important.

And Krishna says

Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. bg 2.12
    Yes. Krishna also says: Arjuna you and I have taken birth many times. I remember all. You do not.

Then He also says: One who knows me as unborn mahesvara knows truly.

Can you reconcile? He has taken many births but truly He is unborn?
    ------------

The question for everyone is: Who is born? There is a world, three dream states from Sarvesvara down and another unchanging unsleeping unborn EYE, which views these three dream states.

Regards

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Pranam Atanu ji
    There are different ways one see the same example, without the existence of many ponds one true sun is truly alone.
    Jai Shree Krishna
    Where are the ponds without the eko?

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Hello Ganeshprasad,

"Very good question but then the subject matter is beyond the realm of logic..."

Indeed and well said. For we are not really our minds or anything they may contain, even though we often think we are. The sayings that teach us to calm and clear our minds also mean master the mind...for we are not our individual minds or its mentations or even the vast mind...and there is That which knows this but It is not of the mind, nor does It use any power of mind to know so!

Why a calm and clear mind, (?) such becomes like a superconductor with zero resistance or blockage to the True.

Om

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Namaste Devotee,

"why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?"

If we are moving with the life force nothing can bore us, whether we are scrubbing the floor or at a major religious celebration. Only the life force gives things enjoyment (so to speak) and not really the forms of those things which quickly fade away.

Om
    Namaste Bob G,

Can you elaborate what you intend to indicate with the term, 'life force" ?

Most probably, yes. Pleasure is always outside, objects give us pleasure, which is why all people go after them. If happiness were an inward thing, then we'd all be staying in our rooms, experiencing bliss again and again. There'll be no activity, no pursuits, nothing. Obviously, that isn't the case, because people seek pleasure from outside objects, objects in the real world.
    Namaste Suresh,

You have missed the point that if there was pleasure in things outside, we would have always got pleasure from those things but that is not true. As soon as your demand gets satisfied, you loose interest in that thing .... that thing cannot give you pleasure any more. This proves that the pleasure is not in the things outside.

Regards
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Pranam Atanu ji and thank you

Lord Krishna has spoken at many levels. He has said a Yogi sees all in Me and Me in all.
    Om
    Indeed and he also say this

This knowledge is the king of all knowledge, is the most secret, is very sacred, it can be perceived by instinct, conforms to Dharma, is very easy to practice, and is imperishable. (9.02)

This entire universe is pervaded by Me, the unmanifest Brahman. All beings depend on (or remain in) Me. I do not depend on them. (9.04)

And yet beings, in reality, do not remain in Me. Look at the power of My divine mystery. Though the sustainer and creator of all beings, I do not remain in them (9.05)

Consider that all beings remain in Me as the mighty wind, moving everywhere, eternally remains in space. (9.06)

Does it prove the truth of duality as the ultimate truth? Because Advaita cannot be perceived, so Abheda srutis are important.
    No it does not prove either way.
    But all srutis are important but the interpretation varies depending what school of thought one is looking at, just as Krishna says

Persons of firm resolve worship Me with ever steadfast devotion by always singing My glories, striving to attain Me, and prostrating before Me. (9.14)

Some worship Me by knowledge sacrifice. Others worship the infinite as the one in all (or non-dual), as the master of all (or dual), and in various other ways. (9.15)

Can you reconcile? He has taken many births but truly He is unborn?
    Yes because unlike us he appears of his own free will, call it birth but factually the lord never takes birth like we do.

Whenever there is a decline of Dharma and the rise of Adharma, O Arjuna, then I manifest (or incarnate) Myself. I incarnate from time to time for protecting the good, for transforming the wicked, and for establishing Dharma, the world order. (4.07-08)

The one who truly understands My transcendental birth and activities , is not born again after leaving this body and attains My abode, O Arjuna. (4.09)

Jai Shree Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Hello Ganeshprasad,

"Very good question but then the subject matter is beyond the realm of logic..."

Indeed and well said. For we are not really our minds or anything they may contain, even though we often think we are. The sayings that teach us to calm and clear our minds also mean master the mind...for we are not our individual minds or its mentations or even the vast mind...and there is That which knows this but It is not of the mind, nor does It use any power of mind to know so!
    Pranam Bob ji
    I thank you
    Krishna confirms what you say,
    The senses are said to be superior (to matter or the body), the mind is superior to the senses, the intellect is superior to the mind, and Atma is superior to the intellect. (3.42)
    Thus, knowing the Atma to be superior to the intellect, and controlling the mind by the intellect (that is purified by Jnana), one must kill this mighty enemy, Kaama, O Arjuna. (3.43)

Why a calm and clear mind, (?) such becomes like a superconductor with zero resistance or blockage to the True.

Om

And it is important, with a calm mind the fog of darkness disappears.

Totally abandoning all selfish desires, and completely restraining the senses (from the sense objects) by the intellect; (6.24)

One gradually attains tranquillity of mind by keeping the mind fully absorbed in the Self by means of a well-trained (and purified) intellect, and thinking of nothing else. (6.25)

Wheresoever this restless and unsteady mind wanders away, one should (gently) bring it back to the reflection of the Supreme. (6.26)

Supreme bliss comes to a Self-realized yogi whose mind is tranquil, whose desires are under control, and who is free from sin (or faults). (6.27)

Coming back to Why do we get bored with things we initially enjoy ?
    Fact is any thing temporary in nature can never satisfy the soul.
    We have been simply chewing the chewed, there is no taste there but we come back for more (glutton for punishment).

Jai Shree Krishna

Namaskar Ganeshprasad Ji,

Pranam Atanu ji and thank you

Yes because unlike us he appears of his own free will, call it birth but factually the lord never takes birth like we do.
    So, in truth he is unborn?

Whenever there is a decline of Dharma and the rise of Adharma, O Arjuna, then I manifest (or incarnate) Myself. I incarnate from time to time for protecting the good, for transforming the wicked, and for establishing Dharma, the world order. (4.07-08)
    I then am compelled to understand that Lord is a bit sadist. Sorry for the implication, but it surely comes out this way. And that Lord is not present at all times but only at certain times?

And when Lord is immanent then why this need for a special descent?

And yet beings, in reality, do not remain in Me. Look at the power of My divine mystery. Though the sustainer and creator of all beings, I do not remain in them (9.05)
    Surely. We had a long discussion on this. Same as the Sun is not in its images in ponds, rivers, puddles, Lord is not in the objects called bodies that are considered to be "Me" in ignorance.

This is the highest proof of Advaita Adhyasa.

Om

Pranam Atanu ji

So, in truth he is unborn?
    Yes for that there is no doubt he says very clearly in Bhagvat Gita and if you were to read Bagvat puran he first appears in his Chaturbugh form to Devki and then he transforms himself in to beautiful baby Krishna.

I then am compelled to understand that Lord is a bit sadist. Sorry for the implication, but it surely comes out this way.
    I don’t know why you feel like that, this material world, due to its ever changing nature is full of pain and misery. We are here out of our own free will and can only get out if we so desire. He does not interfere but out of his compassion for us, he comes from time to time in his original form, to save us when situation goes out of control.

One can easily blame the lord and reasonably ask why create such a miserable world?

Its kind like prisoner asking why me.

And that Lord is not present at all times but only at certain times?
    And when Lord is immanent then why this need for a special descent?
    Of course he is present in every atom, he is so merciful that he accompanies us every where in his ParmAtma form. But we are so unfortunate that we can not see the Antaryami. We create havoc and make a mess of everything, even though he is present in theory how many of us, act as if he is there? Then he comes to cure that, how does that make him sadist?

Quote:

Surely. We had a long discussion on this. Same as the Sun is not in its images in ponds, rivers, puddles, Lord is not in the objects called bodies that are considered to be "Me" in ignorance.

This is the highest proof of Advaita Adhyasa.
    Sure we had gone down this road many times, and you may feel satisfied reading this verse in isolation, but very next verse says

As the mighty wind, blowing everywhere, always rests in ethereal space, know that in the same manner all beings rest in Me.(9.06)

Jai Shree Krishna

Thread Information