Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mahashivratri 2008

Mahashivratri 2008

Pranam,

Does anyone know where I can get the timings for Mahashivratri around the world in 2008?

Thanks,

Pranam,

Devi

Re: Mahashivratri 2008

and can anyone tell me about Mahashivratri in details i will really appriciate it
    regards
    zara

Smile Re: Mahashivratri 2008

Pranam,

I found a website that has the timings for India, here is the link:

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/fessdate.html

Indian Standard Time:

Mahashivratri begins: 12:25 am March 5, 2008, ends March 7 at 10:44pm

Eastern Standard Time Toronto:

begins at 1:55 pm on March 5, ends on March 7 at 12:15 pm

Pranam,

Devi

Pranam,

Here is a website dedidicated to Shivratri:http://www.mahashivratri.org/

Pranam,

Devi

Quote Originally Posted by devisarada View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get the timings for Mahashivratri around the world in 2008?
    Namaste Devi,

You can get the dates on MyPanchang.com for many major cities around the world.

Mahashivaratri this year will be March 6 in India (midnight between Mar 6 and Mar 7) and March 5 in North America (midnight between Mar 5 and Mar 6). When it is celebrated in a given temple depends on whether they celebrate specifically according to their time zone or not.

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Arrow Re: Mahashivratri 2008

Namaste Zara,

Also check the previous Maha Shivaratri thread. There's some information there as well.

Aum.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 05 February 2008 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste Devi,

You can get the dates on MyPanchang.com for many major cities around the world.

Mahashivaratri this year will be March 6 in India (midnight between Mar 6 and Mar 7) and March 5 in North America (midnight between Mar 5 and Mar 6). When it is celebrated in a given temple depends on whether they celebrate specifically according to their time zone or not.

Aum Namah Shivaya.
    I totally agree with you Agnidevaji. I am from seattle, and the hindu temple in bothell www.htccwa.org is celebrating on March 5th as per the site you just mentioned, and there is another temple in maple valley area called Sanatan Dharma Temple ( www.sdtccwa.org ) is celebrating as per India's Time ( March 6th ). The thing that is confusing is that they also claim on their website that their festivals are calculated as per seattle's longitudes and latitudes.... too much confusion created by temples........

Quote Originally Posted by vinayak.gokhale View Post
    I totally agree with you Agnidevaji. I am from seattle, and the hindu temple in bothell www.htccwa.org is celebrating on March 5th as per the site you just mentioned, and there is another temple in maple valley area called Sanatan Dharma Temple ( www.sdtccwa.org ) is celebrating as per India's Time ( March 6th ). The thing that is confusing is that they also claim on their website that their festivals are calculated as per seattle's longitudes and latitudes.... too much confusion created by temples........
    Namaste Vinayakji,

Yes, temples sometimes create unnecessary confusion about festivals. Many of the dates listed on the second site are clearly wrong for Seattle. The Hindu calendar is region specific and needs to be calculated based on local longitude and latitude. Simply going by dates of celebration in India makes no sense whatsoever.

Smile Re: Mahashivratri 2008

Shivaratri is on march 6th.

see shivaratri dates here

Quote Originally Posted by prashantkochar1 View Post
    Shivaratri is on march 6th.

see shivaratri dates here
    Only if you are in India. When you observe the eclipse in america or europe do you observe based on Indian time there? Do you subtract the time difference to view eclipse? Same way standard time difference needs to be subtracted to arrive at tithi ending time in appropriate location you are and then rule for mahashivaratri, "Madhyaratri vyapini on chatrudashi" needs to be applied. If chaturdashi is visible previous day in the location you are at then it's previous day otherwise the next day. Please read detailed explanation at http://www.mypanchang.com

Thanks.

Thread Information