Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mahashivratri 2008

Re: Mahashivratri 2008

Please see following:
    Last edited by vinayak.gokhale; 12 February 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste Vinayakji,

Yes, temples sometimes create unnecessary confusion about festivals. Many of the dates listed on the second site are clearly wrong for Seattle. The Hindu calendar is region specific and needs to be calculated based on local longitude and latitude. Simply going by dates of celebration in India makes no sense whatsoever.
    I did write to that temple, I got following response:

"Namaskar

Thanks for your feedback. I looked into your concern and talked to our Pandit Sanjay Shastri Ji. It is decided to follow the Indian Calendar from now on instead of updating some of the dates based on Seattle (it causes all kind of confusion). We will update our website to reflect the change.

May God bless you and your loved ones!"

It seems that priests are the one who make decisions when to celebrate what festival. Something you don't expect from priest. I am not sure if he has appropriate knowledge in this subject.
    Last edited by vinayak.gokhale; 12 February 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Post Re: Mahashivratri 2008

Quote Originally Posted by vinayak.gokhale View Post
    I did write to that temple, I got following response:

"Namaskar

Thanks for your feedback. I looked into your concern and talked to our Pandit Sanjay Shastri Ji. It is decided to follow the Indian Calendar from now on instead of updating some of the dates based on Seattle (it causes all kind of confusion). We will update our website to reflect the change.

May God bless you and your loved ones!"

It seems that priests are the one who make decisions when to celebrate what festival. Something you don't expect from priest. I am not sure if he has appropriate knowledge in this subject.
    Namaste Vinayak,

Again all of this makes no sense. They may get away by saying we celebrate festivals according to the calendar in India, but how do they justify saying that poornima (full moon) occurs on Feb 21, when it occurs at 19:30 PDT (7:30 pm) on Feb 20 in Seattle?

Even in India, calendar for one place is not valid for another. For example, this year, Gudi Padwa/Yugadi/Nav Samvat (Lunar New Year) falls on April 6 if you're in Mumbai, and April 7 if you're in Hyderabad. Even though both cities are in the same time zone, there is a 22 min difference in local sunrise times, and that makes all the difference.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 12 February 2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarification

Namaste Vinayak,

Again all of this makes no sense. They may get away by saying we celebrate festivals according to the calendar in India, but how do they justify saying that poornima (full moon) occurs on Feb 21, when it occurs at 19:30 PDT (7:30 pm) on Feb 20 in Seattle?

Even in India, calendar for one place is not valid for another. For example, this year, Gudi Padwa/Yugadi/Nav Samvat (Lunar New Year) falls on April 6 if you're in Mumbai, and April 7 if you're in Hyderabad. Even though both cities are in the same time zone, there is a 22 min difference in local sunrise times, and that makes all the difference.
    Namaste Agnidevaji

I think more and more people write to temples like this then their eyes will open.

I just found another temple in texas, celebrating mahashivratri on wrong day.

http://www.hsbv.org/2008/calender_2008_balaji.pdf

The weird thing is they put the newmoond and fullmoon dates correctly, but observing festivals that falls on those days on wrong days...

http://www.hsbv.org/

I think we can create another thread to maintain this list. Someday they will search internet, and finds this thread and learn from their mistakes......

Quote Originally Posted by vinayak.gokhale View Post
    I think we can create another thread to maintain this list. Someday they will search internet, and finds this thread and learn from their mistakes......
    Namaste Vinayak,

Yes, that's a great idea. Go ahead and create a thread and we can discuss further. Perhaps the moderator can also move the relevant posts to the new thread.

Namaste Vinayak,

Yes, that's a great idea. Go ahead and create a thread and we can discuss further. Perhaps the moderator can also move the relevant posts to the new thread.
    I have added the new thread under jyotish.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2666

Om Mahesvaraye Svaha
    in Sivaratri, all the Shaivism is vegetarian?

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Post Re: Mahashivratri 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post

In Shivaratri, all the Shaivism is vegetarian?
    Namaste Shian,

At Shivaratri, it is proper to fast, either not eating anything or taking only fruit and milk. And most Shaivism normally assumes a vegetarian diet, although Shaktism may be non-vegetarian.

Thread Information