Thread: Gita Chapter 2 Verse 7

Gita Chapter 2 Verse 7

Translation from Eknath Easwaran in "The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume 1, The End of Sorrow" (One of my personal favorite commentaries on the Gita).

Arjuna says:

"My will is paralyzed, and I am utterly confused. Tell me which is the better path for me. Let me be your disciple. I have fallen at your feet; give me instruction".

Does anyone care to share personal views on this verse, especially as translated here? Perhaps provide alternative translations?

From my personal view, I use this verse any time I need to surrender to the Lord and to ask for guidance and blessings. I try to start my day with it, surrendering my will to the will of the Lord. I also love this verse because it reminds me that I don't have all (if any) of the answers and that the wisdom that is bestowed upon me is done so by His grace.

Re: Gita Chapter 2 Verse 7

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Translation from Eknath Easwaran in "The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume 1, The End of Sorrow" (One of my personal favorite commentaries on the Gita).

Arjuna says:

"My will is paralyzed, and I am utterly confused. Tell me which is the better path for me. Let me be your disciple. I have fallen at your feet; give me instruction".

Does anyone care to share personal views on this verse, especially as translated here? Perhaps provide alternative translations?

From my personal view, I use this verse any time I need to surrender to the Lord and to ask for guidance and blessings. I try to start my day with it, surrendering my will to the will of the Lord. I also love this verse because it reminds me that I don't have all (if any) of the answers and that the wisdom that is bestowed upon me is done so by His grace.
    Namaste smith,

I think there is nothing wrong in your understanding. In my opinion, there should be slight correction in the translation as given below :

"I am confused about my duty & have lost my natural composure due to my miserly (in having a broad view of understanding things) weakness. I am asking you to tell me, with certainty, the correct course of action for me. I am your disciple, surrendered to you, kindly instruct me."

So, imo, what you are doing is perfectly ok.

Regards
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

I am glad you mentioned this verse in that manner. Its own usefulness would have been overlooked in my readings. I thought I understood the text but it means a lot more now.

Thanks.

Gita ch 2 vs 7:

karpanya-dosopahata-svabhavah
    prcchami tvam dharma-sammudha-cetah
    yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me
    sisyas te 'ham sadhi mam tvam prapannam
    [/font]

Shri Pabhupada translates it thus:

Now I am confused about my duty and have lost all composure because of weakness. In this condition I am asking You to tell me clearly what is best for me. Now I am Your disciple, and a soul surrendered unto You. Please instruct me

Prabhupada explains further in his purport:

By nature's own way the complete system of material activities is a source of perplexity for everyone. In every step there is perplexity, and therefore it behooves one to approach a bona fide spiritual master who can give one proper guidance for executing the purpose of life.

All Vedic literatures advise us to approach a bona fide spiritual master to get free from the perplexities of life which happen without our desire. They are like a forest fire that somehow blazes without being set by anyone. Similarly, the world situation is such that perplexities of life automatically appear, without our wanting such confusion. No one wants fire, and yet it takes place, and we become perplexed. The Vedic wisdom therefore advises that in order to solve the perplexities of life and to understand the science of the solution, one must approach a spiritual master who is in the disciplic succession. A person with a bona fide spiritual master is supposed to know everything. One should not, therefore, remain in material perplexities but should approach a spiritual master. This is the purport of this verse.

Who is the man in material perplexities? It is he who does not understand the problems of life. In the Garga Upanisad the perplexed man is described as follows: "yo va etad aksaram gargy aviditvasmal lokat praiti sa krpanah. " He is a miserly man who does not solve the problems of life as a human and who thus quits this world like the cats and dogs, without understanding the science of self-realization."

This human form of life is a most valuable asset for the living entity who can utilize it for solving the problems of life; therefore, one who does not utilize this opportunity properly is a miser. On the other hand, there is the brahmana, or he who is intelligent enough to utilize this body to solve all the problems of life.
    The krpanas, or miserly persons, waste their time in being overly affectionate for family, society, country, etc., in the material conception of life.

One is often attached to family life, namely to wife, children and other members, on the basis of "skin disease." The krpana thinks that he is able to protect his family members from death; or the krpana thinks that his family or society can save him from the verge of death. Such family attachment can be found even in the lower animals who take care of children also. Being intelligent, Arjuna could understand that his affection for family members and his wish to protect them from death were the causes of his perplexities.

Although he could understand that his duty to fight was awaiting him, still, on account of miserly weakness, he could not discharge the duties. He is therefore asking Lord Krsna, the supreme spiritual master, to make a definite solution.

He offers himself to Krsna as a disciple. He wants to stop friendly talks. Talks between the master and the disciple are serious, and now Arjuna wants to talk very seriously before the recognized spiritual master.

Krsna is therefore the original spiritual master of the science of Bhagavad-gita, and Arjuna is the first disciple for understanding the Gita. How Arjuna understands the Bhagavad-gita is stated in the Gita itself. And yet foolish mundane scholars explain that one need not submit to Krsna as a person, but to "the unborn within Krsna." There is no difference between Krsna's within and without. And one who has no sense of this understanding is the greatest fool in trying to understand Bhagavad-gita.
    I also think that your approach of saying this sloka every morning is an inspired one. And I'm going to start doing that as well. Most of us are perplexed and confused about exactly what our duty should be. Life is not a series of easy choices. This is why I like the Mahabharat so much; because it demonstrates how people are constantly faced with moral dilemas.

In the absence of a Sadguru with whom one can talk about one's personal dilemas on a regular basis, we can turn within to connect to the Divinity within. All the strength courage, succor and wisdom, everything we need on a moral and spiritual level can be found within us. So, as Swami Vivekananda said: "Awake!, Arise! and stop not until the goal is reached!"
    Last edited by devisarada; 12 March 2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling

Pranam,

Devi

Pranam

I must say this is a very good way to start the day for we all are, at least I am, for ever stuck in this quagmire of material existence un able to make my mind as to the correct direction I should take.

Who better to guide us then the parmatma in our heart, only when we start listening to his voice and follow his instruction, as dharma enjoys us to then our life would be perfect.

Though finaly, we must come to this understanding Arjun had in the end.

Arjuna said: By Your grace my delusion is destroyed, I have gained knowledge, my confusion is dispelled and I shall obey Your command. (18.73)

Jai Shree Krishna

aye maalik tere bande hum ayese ho humaare karam
    nekee par chale, aaur badee se tale, taankee hasate huye nikale dam
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information