Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Informations about Nagas

Re: Informations about Nagas

Namaste Shri Sarabhanga Giri.
    I am eager to learn more and more about these warrior-ascetics.I very appreciated the picture with the naga equipped with two long sacred swords.
    1)Could you describe Nagas' hierarchy?
    2)Are they monist shaivites (like the follower of Kashmir Shaivism) or bhaktas of Lord Mahadeva(like followers of Shaiva-Siddanta and Vira-shaiva)?
    3)According to nagas,what are the means to obtaining moksha?
    4)Are they vegetarian?Is a strict rule to be vegetarian for them?
    5)Again I ask you if nagas are dangeruous like Aghori Sadhus:would a naga come near to me and insult me or hurt me without any reason?
    6)Do they respect other hindu traditions?
    7)What kind of weapons do Nagas use?
    8)Apart from learning an hindi language,what doctrine of hindu dharma should I learn in order to not have a disappoint encounter with a Naga?
    9)Please could you attach other pictures of nagas?

I really hope that my several questions are not a problem.I will not mind if you will not reply.
    Regards,
    Orlando.

Post Re: Informations about Nagas

Namaste Orlando,

The hierarchy within (and between) the Akhadas is a rather complex matter. There are many defined positions, each with its own particular sacred responsibilities and level of authority within the group.

I have previously noted that Nagas may be Shaiva or Vaishnava, and there are Nagas who follow all of the well-known schools of philosophy. The Dashanami Akhadas are all basically Shaiva, but each Akhada has its own particular Ishtadeva, and (generally) a distinct Guru Parampara with its own specific traditions.

All Nagas are basically “lacto-vegetarian”, with various degrees of dietary restriction (sometimes quite severe) within that range. And most Nagas prefer to cook for themselves, very rarely accepting meals that were prepared by an unknown shop-keeper or purchased from a restaurant or hotel.

Nagas certainly respect all authentic Hindu traditions, and no Naga would ever deliberately insult or assault you without any reason! In fact, when I was first traveling in India (as a relatively naïve “foreigner”), I regularly encountered support from various Dashanami Nagas. For example, arriving at Kurukshetra station, very early in the morning after a long journey, I had no idea where to go in the dark, so I sat down on the platform with my luggage, and promptly fell asleep. When I awoke at dawn, an unknown Naga was sitting next to me, having watched my unsecured belongings through the night. He led me to a tea-stall and provided some breakfast, along with a few very helpful instructions, and then he disappeared, asking nothing in return. A simple illustration, and perhaps I have been rather lucky, but many such incidents (all over India) gradually led me into their company.

However, I would strongly suggest that (along with some Hindi language) you first get some experience with the traditional etiquette and routines of orthodox Hindu temples and ashrams (preferably in India or Nepal). And some experience is also required to even recognize a true Naga ~ one ashen man with matted hair and dressed in a simple cloth looks basically the same as any other, and there are many imitators who are happy to take advantage of naïve foreign aspirants.

Smile Re: Informations about Nagas

Shri Shailam Mallikarjuna
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink Re: Informations about Nagas

auM TAT sat

Cool Re: Informations about Nagas

And the divine forces are assembled before the dawn, in preparation for heroic action ...

Thread Information