Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the "six rat holes"

the "six rat holes"

"Physical and mental energy leaks through what Swami Sivananda referred to as the "six rat-holes" in the body. The shutting up of these main holes will bring about the closing of many other minor ones. The yogi shuts out all the apertures that these energies leak out, and transmutes them into Ojas, or spiritual energy. Then the conserved energy can be spent on spiritual pursuits, meditation and the exploration of higher regions of the mind and Atma.

The six rat-holes are: · the hole of the reproductive organ, · the hole of the mouth, · the four holes of the mind.
    The four holes of the mind are:
    • the hole through which the energy leaks from unnecessary worry
    • the hole through which the energy leaks from unnecessary fear of an imaginary description
    • the hole through which the energy leaks from excessive anger
    • the hole through which the energy leaks through lustful and idle thoughts.
    For the conservation of energy lost through the hole of the reproductive organ, practice brahmacharya, or celibacy. Celibacy is not just the abstaining from sexual activity. It also means moderation, or the channeling of your sexual energy for higher purposes. If you are a householder with a family, then practice moderation in your sexual activity, so there is balance in the sexual energy. Practice to control and direct this energy, rather than allowing it to control you. Energy leaks through the mouth by idle thoughts, gossiping, unnecessary discussions, too much laughter, etc. Laughter is good, but one with excessive laughter may not be taken seriously and therefore cannot influence others positively. Use measured words while talking. Do not talk too much. Speak politely and with respect. Practice mouna (silence) to help preserve energy. These practices help to develop will and enjoyment of peace.

Unnecessary worrying is a habit. Energy leaks tremendously through this channel. Worry is our own creation. Too many desires bring about worry. Many people develop worry by falsely imagining that they are inferior to others. This is illusory. All differences are unreal. Swami Sivananda says that everything is already fixed by prarabdha (destiny). Have faith that as you live "consciously", you will make the right choices, and through your good choices you will achieve good karma and success.
    Unnecessary phobias or fears also leak energy. Ordinary ailments can become severe if one puts energy into them. Rather than fear the ailment, direct your energy into healing visualisations. Do not fear criticism - it is merely sound. Know what is real and what is unreal. Draw courage from within. Courage abounds within us! Do not be timid. Repeat the mantra "Sivoham, Sivoham" for strength. Turn your energy towards the spiritual and you will become fearless. Fears are imaginary. Think of Atma. Draw courage from knowing we are immortal souls ("I'm neither body nor mind, immortal self I am").

By becoming angry over little things, the whole nervous system is irritated and shattered. One can control this anger by love and vichara (right inquiry, or knowing the whole story). We are often swayed by our impulse to anger before we check out the information. Learn to be on the alert and watch your thoughts, in order to gain control over anger. Practice raising an opposing wave of love when you are greeted with anger. Anger is the greatest enemy of humans on this earth. Once you can control your anger, you have already learned to control the mind.
    Idle or lustful thoughts are a waste of energy too. An idle mind is no better than an overactive mind. Learn to practice concentration and meditation. If mental energy is conserved you will have a tremendous store of energy at your disposal. You will accomplish mental and physical work with tremendous ease. Entertain good and sublime thoughts. At first this may be a challenge, but with time the mind will reside in these thoughts quite easily.

Practice conserving energy and reducing the losses through these "six rat-holes". By conserving the energy it will be there for higher spiritual achievements in life. Develop your inner faculties, conserve your energy and acquire knowledge of Self. Have faith, interest and perseverance. Peace and joy will abide with you for ever!"

Namaste fellow members, I now bid you farewell on your wonderous journey; thank you for the many fine sayings and kindness that you have shared here with me. I've learned much from you and give my thanks and salutations. Best regards to all, Bob G.

Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti Om...

Re: the "six rat holes"

Pranam Bob G

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post

Namaste fellow members, I now bid you farewell on your wonderous journey; thank you for the many fine sayings and kindness that you have shared here with me. I've learned much from you and give my thanks and salutations. Best regards to all, Bob G.

Why, please dont let differences that is natural, to bid us farewell.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste Bob,

It was a very good post, but why "farewell" ? Anything wrong ??

Regards
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Bob,

It was a very good post, but why "farewell" ? Anything wrong ??

Regards
    Hmmm ... I had to read the entire thread (Material Cause) for you, Bob G, to understand the problem.

It is certainly not good for the forum. I don't know what to say & to whom ! The problem starts when we start the unholy war, " I am more knowledgable than you". Is this forum really needed for those who are truly established in Non-duality or for those who are still treading on the path or searching for the Truth ?

I wish your early comeback ! Love to you for your lovely posts !!

Regards

Thumbs Down Re: the "six rat holes"

Namaskar Bob,
    Your quote comes across as some sort of subtle passive insult (in the context of Material Cause thread). I wish you stop with your personal agenda.
    satay

Unhappy Re: the "six rat holes"

Namaste All,

The advice given in Bob's last post is good, and given recent discussions that advice is quite appropriate. But the particular selection gives a perfect example of the problem. The apertures through which spiritual energy are lost from the body are usually counted as nine. But svAmI shivAnanda (and presumably also Bob) has particularly chosen to enumerate six, and to call them by the term "rat hole". No problem? Well not for anyone unfamiliar with the AkhADa (AkhAra) nAgAs, who dwell in SaDAkhADAs, being of the SaDAkharAs (the "six snake-holes" or "six rat-holes"). The rotents indicated here are the sacred vehicles of gaNesha, who is the lord of all portals, but the choice of the unusual term "six rat-holes" is surely deliberate. An Akhara is "the lair of a wild animal", "the lair of the beast", the home of a dragon or serpent (i.e. of a nAga), and the AkhAra or AkhADa sAdhavas (i.e. nAgAs) are denigrated by the pointed suggestion that the "six rat-holes" should be shut up to prevent the loss of spiritual energy. I too have appreciated many of Bob's posts, but the undercurrent of opposition is certainly not appreciated.

Namaste Devotee, and others.

It is certainly not good for the forum. I don't know what to say & to whom ! The problem starts when we start the unholy war, " I am more knowledgable than you".
    1. So long as there are no personal innuendos or agendas, healthy, fierce and intensive debates are always welcome in a forum like HDF.

2. The show of the assumed levels of knowledge is also inevitable when people seek to establish their pov.

3. Healthy debates help a person of less knowledge with some enlightenment and motivation; they can also help a person of more knowledge with the right pointers; and when taken in the good spirit might help curb the personal ego.

4. The one and perhaps the only thing to understand with debates is that no debate is won or lost in the sense that any pov that seeks to prevail over others could be effective only with personal experience and enlightenment.

Is this forum really needed for those who are truly established in Non-duality or for those who are still treading on the path or searching for the Truth?
    1. This forum is 'really needed for those who are truly-established in Non-duality' also. Actually we need to have such enlightened gurus more than their need to establish and propagate Hindu Dharma.

2. Hindu Scriptures are many in numbers, wide and deep; not that every seeker who reads and ponders over them understands their full import. If an enlightened AtmA like Sarabhanga has a refreshingly new approach of going to the word-level-roots of the texts and express the truths with the finality charasteric of an Avadhuta, it is better we accept them, however bitter they might seem at our level.

We in HDFpuri need more gurus who are enlightened and well-versed with the Hindu texts to guide us and moderate the ambitious displays of povs in some messages.

Namaste Saideo,

So long as there are no personal innuendos or agendas, healthy, fierce and intensive debates are always welcome in a forum like HDF.
    What you say is what should happen. However, is it correct to misquote a person ? Isn't it what Bob tried to object to ? How can a healthy debate take place if one person's views are not represented in the manner he really intended ?

1. This forum is 'really needed for those who are truly-established in Non-duality' also. Actually we need to have such enlightened gurus more than their need to establish and propagate Hindu Dharma.

2. Hindu Scriptures are many in numbers, wide and deep; not that every seeker who reads and ponders over them understands their full import. If an enlightened AtmA like Sarabhanga has a refreshingly new approach of going to the word-level-roots of the texts and express the truths with the finality charasteric of an Avadhuta, it is better we accept them, however bitter they might seem at our level.
    There is no doubt that enlightened souls like Sarabhanga are needed for proper guidance of the beginners. However, unless the beginner feels comfortable in the company of the teacher, what can he learn ? A little more patience, a little more compassion is needed ... more from teacher side because he is more knowledgable. If the teaching fails, the student does fail but does the teacher succeed ?

to establish and propagate Hindu Dharma
    I don't feel there is any need to establish & propagate Hindu Dharma. Hindu Dharma's strength is unquestioned & time-tested .... this is the only Dharma which could not only survive the brutal attacks of the organised Christianity & Islam but also converted some of them to its own fold. So, if we are working only towards this goal, I will say there is much more which can be attained with the strength this forum has. There are many people in the world who are spiritually broken as their spiritual needs cannot be met by the organised Christianity or other religions & they are desperately looking for a true meaning of spirituality. .... and this forum has the potential to help them.

Regards

Namaste Devotee.

My only point was that we do need (to have and perhaps be guided by) the knowledge dispensed by enlightened souls like Sarabhanga, lest we should be sailing in a rudderless ship. In fact, the HDF is the brainchild of Satay and Sarabhanga. At the same time, however, I understand and appreciate your point and concern about misquoting a person. In such instances, it might be better to solve any misunderstandings through PMs rather than wash it all in the forum.

I said our gurus have a need to 'establish and propagate Hindu Dharma' because in the world of today's Kali Yuga, texts like Manu Smrti and the concept of Varnashramam are sought to be done away with, specially at the behest of the Western forces who either have no proper understanding of those concepts or deliberately twist the imports. Moreover, as you have said it yourself, since organized religions like Christianity have left their followers 'spiritually broken', there is a need to 'establish and propagate' Hindu Dharma among those followers who seek to embrace Hindu Dharma. In Hindu Dharma, 'establishment' never meant hegemony, nor 'propagation' meant propaganda, because it is the Universal, Satana Dharma.

Post Re: the "six rat holes"

Quote Originally Posted by Devotee

Is it correct to misquote a person ? Isn't it what Bob tried to object to ? How can a healthy debate take place if one person's views are not represented in the manner he really intended ?
    Namaste Devotee,

I have NOT misquoted anyone! How can a healthy debate take place if one person makes vague provocative comments and then refuses to clarify them when asked (repeatedly) for clarification? And that one incident is really beside the point, being only a small part of a general pattern, but I don't want to dwell on past misunderstandings.

Thread Information