Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the "six rat holes"

Re: the "six rat holes"

Namaste Friends,

The forum is there because of Satay and Sarabhanga. Nothing should happen that should eat away the basis (reflecting Nuno's view). We all are thankful to them and I personally would like to extend any help, which I can provide.

Or, if they wish, I can simply step aside. Because I understand that Management everywhere has some internal reasons and compulsions, which mature members should abide by.

However, one must also recognise that a forum needs members and healthy debates. Why else the forum? One can create a plain download site, containing texts of selected individuals. I am sure no one will read such things. There are enough good literature of all Vadas. At least, I am not in search of an internet guru. And frankly speaking, no one will savour opinion on one's chosen guru or param guru. I have personally felt it distasteful when Osho or other Gurus (and not their teachings) have been subject of appraisal.

I respect Sarabhanga Ji. Yet, when one is on Internet forum one is open to questions and this is a very subtle process, wherein the Guru has the higher responsibilty, if one is so.

If the Management decides that Bob is not welcome (as is the case), then I do not have any problem. It will be Management's decision, which members must abide by.

However, I acknowledge Bob as a Hindu with a fine intuitive grasp of Advaita. That Advaita includes all other Vadas and is never in conflict with other Vadas, is appreciated and brought out by Bob.

With this, I personally, wish that Bob would rejoin and let us partake of his wisdom. At the same time, I wish that Bob would employ more tact, so that the baby is not thrown out with the bath water.

Without Bob's inputs, the forum will be less valuable to me. Same with Sarabhanga. With that view I personally request Bob to consider to rejoin. These are my opinions and the final decision depends on Management (which includes Sarabhanga) and Bob himself.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 25 February 2008 at 04:23 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

PS: It will be nicest to see a reconciliation. A case of Shiva winning over Shiva. A point in favour of Sanatana Dharma.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thumbs Up

Namaste Atanu,

I would prefer that nobody was banned, and that nobody felt compelled to leave the forum; and I certainly don’t expect a guru-shiSya relationship with all members, but I would rather that discussions were not made unnecessarily difficult by deliberate provocations, etc. And Satay has reacted in my defense, and in defense of my gurus, rather than from any particular objection to Bob. I am sure that Satay only wants the forum to run smoothly and productively for the greatest benefit of all.

Hello and Namaste all,

I wanted to state that I have not asked Bob to leave the forum nor have I had any discussions with him regarding his comments on any of the threads.
    On another note, I am cognizant of the fact that anytime there is new member joining; the dynamic of our existing group will change a little bit. This is normal.

However, there seem to be a few questions that keep coming back again and again ever since HDF was born. The issue of – why is it needed and for whom? Why some members seemingly get ‘special treatment’? Here I try to give answers to these questions.

Why HDF is needed and for whom?
    To answer this question properly, I have to first explain the reason of HDF’s birth. HDF was born due to a dream of three people; mine, sarabhanga’s and shivaite. We all were members of another online forum the HinduNet. However, there were many challenges with that forum and I choose not to go into the details of that forum. Suffice it to say that a forum was needed that would at the very least be administered in a timely fashion by a semi-dedicated resource, would be ad free, would be spam free and would be virus free. So out of this thought, HDF was born.

HDF is an ‘open-discussion’ forum on all aspects of Indian Culture and traditions but more importantly for ‘positive presentation’ of Santana Dharma.

HDF is needed on the Internet because as a young novice Hindu, I am unable to find a discussion forum that discusses and presents Santana Dharma in a positive light. There are many numbers of Hindu forums on the Net and there are thousands of sites and forums that try to hide the Truth of eternal dharma in their vulgarity because of their personal agendas. HDF is born out of a principle that I believe in and that is that if one can’t find a book on a particular subject, then one could write one himself!

HDF is for ‘all’. This is why there are many numbers of subforums in HDF. Yet, HDF is not the grounds for ‘promotion’ of other agendas other than Sanatana Dharma. As such it is an implied expectation that, all threads and discussions be in the ‘context’ of Dharma in general, and Santana Dharma in particular.

Now, to the next question, why some members get ‘special treatment’?
    Most often and not, this question almost always is in the direction of sarabhanga as in why does sarabhanga get special treatment? So, here I answer the question once and for all.

None of us members are above the rules of the site that includes me too. Meaning that if you see me breaking a forum rule you may openly oppose my post and point it out. I have said this many times.

In discussion with other members, Sarabhanga has stated many times as well that he is open to change if a point he is making is countered properly and not just with ‘I don’t accept what you are saying because I don’t like your attitude’. He has on many occasions apologized in the name of peace and has clarified his comments when asked for clarification.

I feel that those who present Sanatana dharma in a positive light should be given the chance to be heard and should be ‘defended’ from the personal agendas of others be they Hindu or non.

I will always defend and side with those who make positive contributions to the ‘environment’ of HDF and whose posts/threads are in alignment with the original goals of HDF.

We are all adults on this forum. Making subtle comments or playing psychological games to undermine other members or sulking from thread to thread is not appreciated and not in alignment with the original goals of HDF. We have (or should have) all left these types of tactics behind in grade 3 classes.

Humbly, in your service...
    Last edited by satay; 25 February 2008 at 02:05 PM.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    "Physical and mental energy leaks through what Swami Sivananda referred to as the "six rat-holes" in the body. The shutting up of these main holes will bring about the closing of many other minor ones. The yogi shuts out all the apertures that these energies leak out, and transmutes them into Ojas, or spiritual energy. Then the conserved energy can be spent on spiritual pursuits, meditation and the exploration of higher regions of the mind and Atma.

The six rat-holes are: · the hole of the reproductive organ, · the hole of the mouth, · the four holes of the mind.
    The four holes of the mind are:
    • the hole through which the energy leaks from unnecessary worry
    • the hole through which the energy leaks from unnecessary fear of an imaginary description
    • the hole through which the energy leaks from excessive anger
    • the hole through which the energy leaks through lustful and idle thoughts.
    For the conservation of energy lost through the hole of the reproductive organ, practice brahmacharya, or celibacy. Celibacy is not just the abstaining from sexual activity. It also means moderation, or the channeling of your sexual energy for higher purposes. If you are a householder with a family, then practice moderation in your sexual activity, so there is balance in the sexual energy. Practice to control and direct this energy, rather than allowing it to control you. Energy leaks through the mouth by idle thoughts, gossiping, unnecessary discussions, too much laughter, etc. Laughter is good, but one with excessive laughter may not be taken seriously and therefore cannot influence others positively. Use measured words while talking. Do not talk too much. Speak politely and with respect. Practice mouna (silence) to help preserve energy. These practices help to develop will and enjoyment of peace.

Unnecessary worrying is a habit. Energy leaks tremendously through this channel. Worry is our own creation. Too many desires bring about worry. Many people develop worry by falsely imagining that they are inferior to others. This is illusory. All differences are unreal. Swami Sivananda says that everything is already fixed by prarabdha (destiny). Have faith that as you live "consciously", you will make the right choices, and through your good choices you will achieve good karma and success.
    Unnecessary phobias or fears also leak energy. Ordinary ailments can become severe if one puts energy into them. Rather than fear the ailment, direct your energy into healing visualisations. Do not fear criticism - it is merely sound. Know what is real and what is unreal. Draw courage from within. Courage abounds within us! Do not be timid. Repeat the mantra "Sivoham, Sivoham" for strength. Turn your energy towards the spiritual and you will become fearless. Fears are imaginary. Think of Atma. Draw courage from knowing we are immortal souls ("I'm neither body nor mind, immortal self I am").

By becoming angry over little things, the whole nervous system is irritated and shattered. One can control this anger by love and vichara (right inquiry, or knowing the whole story). We are often swayed by our impulse to anger before we check out the information. Learn to be on the alert and watch your thoughts, in order to gain control over anger. Practice raising an opposing wave of love when you are greeted with anger. Anger is the greatest enemy of humans on this earth. Once you can control your anger, you have already learned to control the mind.
    Idle or lustful thoughts are a waste of energy too. An idle mind is no better than an overactive mind. Learn to practice concentration and meditation. If mental energy is conserved you will have a tremendous store of energy at your disposal. You will accomplish mental and physical work with tremendous ease. Entertain good and sublime thoughts. At first this may be a challenge, but with time the mind will reside in these thoughts quite easily.

Practice conserving energy and reducing the losses through these "six rat-holes". By conserving the energy it will be there for higher spiritual achievements in life. Develop your inner faculties, conserve your energy and acquire knowledge of Self. Have faith, interest and perseverance. Peace and joy will abide with you for ever!"

Namaste fellow members, I now bid you farewell on your wonderous journey; thank you for the many fine sayings and kindness that you have shared here with me. I've learned much from you and give my thanks and salutations. Best regards to all, Bob G.

Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti Om...
    Namaste Bob,

Upadesha of Swami Sivananda will be useful and cherised.

Bye. Regards.

Thread Information