Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Post Re: muSAya moSIs

And from the Rgveda:

satrAte anukRSTayo vishvAcakrevavAvRtuH |
    satrAmahAM asishrutaH || 4.30.2 ||

Like chariot-wheels these people all together follow after thee:
    Thou ever art renowned as great.

vishvecanedanAtvA devAsa indrayuyudhuH |
    yadahAnaktamAtiraH || 4.30.3 ||

Not even all the gathered gods conquered thee, indra, in the war,
    When thou didst lengthen days by night.

yatrotabAdhitebhyashcakraM kutsAyayudhyate |
    muSAya indrasUryam || 4.30.4 ||

When for the sake of those oppressed, and kutsa as he battled,
    Thou stolest away the sun’s car-wheel.

yatradevAM RghAyato vishvAM ayudhya eka it |
    tvamindravanUMrahan || 4.30.5 ||

When, fighting singly, indra, thou overcame all the furious gods,
    Thou slewest those who strove with thee.

yatrotamartyAyakamariNA indrasUryam |
    prAvaH shacIbhiretasham || 4.30.6 ||

When also for a mortal man, indra, thou sped forth the sun,
    And helped etasha with might.

kimAdutAsivRtrahanmaghavanmanyumattamaH |
    atrAhadAnumAtiraH || 4.30.7 ||

What? vRtra-slayer, art not thou, maghavan, fiercest in thy wrath?
    So hast thou quelled the demon too.

utasindhuM vibAlyaM vitasthAnAmadhikshami |
    pariSThA indramAyayA || 4.30.12 ||

Thou, indra, didst with magic power resist the overflowing stream
    Who spread her waters over the land.

utatyAturvashAyadU asnAtArAshacIpatiH |
    indrovidvAM apArayat || 4.30.17 ||

So sapient indra, lord of might, brought turvasha and yadu, those
    Who feared the flood, in safety over.

utatyAsadya AryA sarayorindra pArataH |
    arNAcitrarathAvadhIH || 4.30.18 ||

ArNa and citraratha, both AryAs, thou, indra, slewest swift,
    On yonder side of sarayu,

anudvAjahitAnayo’ndhaM shroNaM cavRtrahan |
    natattesumnamaSTave || 4.30.19 ||

Thou, vRtra-slayer, didst conduct those two forlorn, the blind, the lame.
    None may attain this bliss of thine.

abhUrekorayipaterayINAmAhastayoradhithA indrakRSTIH |
    vitoke apsutanayecasUre’vocantacarSaNayovivAcaH || 6.31.1 ||

Sole lord of wealth art thou, O lord of riches: thou in thine hands hast held the people, indra.
    Men have invoked thee, with contending voices, for seed and waters, progeny and sunlight.

tvadbhiyendrapArthivAnivishvAcyutAciccyAvayanterajAMsi |
    dyAvAkshAmAparvatAsovanAni vishvaM dRLhambhayate ajmannAte || 6.31.2 ||

Through fear of thee, O indra, all the regions of earth, though naught may move them, shake and tremble.
    All that is firm is frightened at thy coming: the earth, the heaven, the mountain, and the forest.

tvaM kutsenAbhishuSNamindrAshuSaM yudhyakuyavaM gaviSTau |
    dashaprapitve adhasUryasya muSAyashcakramaviverapAMsi || 6.31.3 ||

With kutsa, indra, thou didst conquer shuSNa, voracious, bane of crops, in fight for cattle.
    In the close fray thou rentest him: thou stolest the sun’s wheel and didst drive away misfortunes.

Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

In reading this thread I am sadly reminded of how vulnerable and poorly educated people are cynically manipulated by religious missionaries. Some of the spurious claims they use (based on out of context words and so on) are truly lamentable. Never forget that the deepest and most spiritual interpreters of Christianity (The Gnostics) were denounced as heretics. What remains is a very superficial, dualistic and legalistic religion lacking any path to attain higher states and God Consciousness. It is, therefore, focussed on 'quantity, rather than quality' seeking as many converts as possible.

Even here in the UK I have such missionaries knocking on my door in a hope to save my soul for their version of Christianity.

The irony is that in investigating Shaivism, I have come to understand the coded message of the Genesis story within the Old Testament - the parallels are strikingly obvious for anyone who bothers to look. I would even go as far as to say that the Genesis story only makes sense within a Shaivite (or at least higher Hindu) context. The only problem is that no Christian will ever accept this. There are many pseudo-historians who churn out re-interpretations of biblical lore and any attempt to explain my 'evidence' to Christians would be dismissed as similar nonsense.

At the end of the day all Indian Hindus can do is educate their lesser-informed brethren - to demonstrate the obvious superiority of their system.

Namaste

Question Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Namaskar!

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post

For thou wilt light my candle: the lord my god will enlighten my darkness. [Psalm 18]

The statutes of the lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. [Psalm 19]

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints. [Ephesians 1]

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the holy ghost, and have tasted the good word of god, and the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the son of god afresh, and put him to an open shame. [Hebrews 6]
    Could you please share with us the context of these quotes?

For example, Psalm 18.28 For thou wilt light my candle: the lord my god will enlighten my darkness

Is David taking about 'enlightenment' the same way hindus talk abou 'enlightenment'?

I read the whole psalm 18 several times and to me it only confirms the christian understanding of God as a separate entity than the sinful man.

David quite clearly is 'praying' to God implying that God is a separate entity. The closest thing in Hinduism for this is us praying to God for guidance and forgiveness etc.

The 'darkness' David is talking about is the 'evil forces' as understood by christians i.e. forces that are not 'good' or are 'against' God and 'resist' God.

By the way my understanding is that 'hinduism' is one such EVIL force in the context of christinaity as it tempts the man away from GOD by saying, "man you yourself are GOD but have forgotten your real nature due to maya'.

I don't see how this quote means David is asking for 'enlightenment' i.e. the realization that 'he is GOD'!

Same logic applies to other quotes you mentioned...

I would like to understand how in your mind David's quote of 'my god will enlighten my darkness' is same as a hindu sage seeking enlightenment.

I don't get it...

And redemption is from the Latin redemptio (“a buying back, releasing, or ransoming”), from redimere (“to redeem or buy back”, from re- “back” + emere “to take, buy, gain, or procure”).

Redemption, as “deliverance from sin” (redeeming immortal life by the submission of mortal life), is the same idea as moksha (release from the bondage of reincarnation), which equally involves the extinguishing of all personal karma and the absolute submission of one’s mortal life to the one divine essence of immortal Life.

'redeeming immortal life by the submission of mortal life'...yes, I get that...
    But what's the purpose in the Christian context of this 'immortal' life?

The purpose of the 'immortal life' as I understand is to be 'in service' to God, to 'spend' this immortal life in the 'presence of God' or 'at his feet'
    NOT to 'be GOD' as in moksha...merging back to the source!

Please correct my understanding...
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar!

'redeeming immortal life by the submission of mortal life'...yes, I get that...
    But what's the purpose in the Christian context of this 'immortal' life?
    -
    Please correct my understanding...

I am sorry. I do not get 'redeeming immortal life by the submission of mortal life' at all. It is an interpolation just as 99 % of this thread is.

1. improving of something: the saving or improving of something that has declined into a poor state 2. redeemed state: the improved state of somebody or something saved from apparently irreversible decline 3. buying back of something: the buying back of something given, for example, to a pawnbroker, as security for a loan 4. finance ending of financial obligation: the removal of a financial obligation, for example, the repayment of a loan or promissory note 5. christianity: atonement for human sin: deliverance from the sins of humanity by the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross

[14th century. Via French rédemption from, ultimately, Latin redempt- , the past participle stem of redimere (see redeem).]

-----------------------------

atonement for human sin

And all humans except christians are embodied SIN. Even revered hindu Gurus, who we know as Jivan Muktas need redemption -- many of them do not and/or did not follow proper procedures.

Redeeming itself has a connotation of Debt, which Shri Sarabhanga has alluded to many times as similar to Yama and Niyama. Whose debt it is? Does anyone know why one has taken a body? Creating the mystery of debt is a trap for further bondage, just as creating fear of Rahu.

Consciousness alone is. Rahu is there and debt is there. Who is indebted to whom?

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Post Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay

Could you please share with us the context of these quotes?
    Namaste Satay,

The context of the whole Bible is the relation of ‘yahva’ and ‘yeSu’.

The context of Psalms 18 and 19 is the singer dAva (agni) or dAvat (“giving”) offering praise to the chief musician (yahvI or rodasI or iLA ~ i.e. vAc ~ or to yahvaH, who is agni himself).

I don’t see how this quote means David is asking for ‘enlightenment’ i.e. the realization that ‘he is GOD’!
    It is not possible to realize identity with God by asking for anything.

David composed Psalm 18 on the day of his deliverance from all his enemies, and the greatest ‘enemy’ of every mortal being is the consuming darkness of death.

From Psalm 18:
    I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid.

The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils.

He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters.

He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.

They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay.

He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.

For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.

As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.

He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet, and setteth me upon my high places.

Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.

Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.

I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed.

He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man.

Great deliverance giveth he to his king; and sheweth mercy to his anointed, to David, and to his seed for evermore.
    From Psalm 19 (the jihva of dAva praising the vAc of yahva):
    The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
    The nature of this enlightenment is more explicitly revealed as the Bible unfolds.
    Psalm 18 ~ “the lord my god will enlighten my darkness”
    What darkness will be enlightened?
    Psalm 19 ~ “the commandment of the lord is pure, enlightening the eyes”
    The darkness of my eyes?
    Ephesians 1 ~ “the eyes of your understanding being enlightened”
    The darkness of the eyes of my understanding.

The nature of the darkness is clear, but what is the nature of the enlightenment?
    Ephesians 1 ~ “that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints”
    So enlightenment involves knowledge of “the glory of his inheritance in the saints”.
    And Jesus instructed his disciples to follow his proven way to the Father, but very few have actually done that, and those who have are now counted as Saints.

The understanding of the Saint and the understanding of those who worship (but not imitate) the Saint are very different things.
    Ephesians 1 ~ “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him”
    “The glory of his inheritance in the saints” is “the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him” (i.e. of God).

And, the “spirit of wisdom” and “revelation of knowledge” is described:

Ephesians 1 ~ “the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come.
    And Hebrews 6 provides more details of the enlightened ones, who “have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the holy ghost, and have tasted the good word of god, and the powers of the world to come”.

The Rgveda includes more than a thousand hymns, and every one is (at least figuratively) spoken by a RSi to a devatA, and the process of sacrifice operates (and can only be spoken of) in such a dualistic frame, but the ultimate aim is a spiritual union and a successful conclusion cannot be attained without unity ~ and the unifying process is a spiritual communion, which demands (and simultaneously confers) an absolute unity of spirit.

The path of bhakti (“division or sharing” or “worship or devotion”) is inevitably divided, but in the end it merges with the path of jñAna, which itself began amid the mAyA of dvaitam and only ends when the satyam of advaitam is actually attained (not merely held as a theory, but truly experienced as a fact).

‘Hinduism’ is one such EVIL force in the context of christianity, as it tempts the man away from GOD by saying, “man you yourself are GOD but have forgotten your real nature due to maya”.
    And Jesus instructed his disciples to follow his proven way to the Father, but very few have actually done that, and those who have are now counted as Saints.

The understanding of the Saint and the understanding of those who worship (but not imitate) the Saint are very different things.
    If ‘Hinduism’ is ‘EVIL’ for this reason, then ‘Jesus’ must equally be regarded as ‘EVIL’, having remembered his true nature as nArAyaNa, the son of nara, and the veritable right hand of nara-nArAyaNa (the twin yahvyau, uniting heaven and earth).

Quote Originally Posted by Saidevo

Does Christianity really teach Advaita?
    Similarly, one could ask whether Hinduism really teaches Advaita. And the answer would depend on the particular texts selected for consideration, and on the particular philosophical viewpoint one adopted while interpreting those texts.

When you say “Christianity”, do you mean the English interpretation propagated by Protestant Christianity (which itself comes in very many shades), or the Latin interpretation of Catholic Christianity, or the Greek and Aramaic interpretations of the various Orthodox Churches, or the Essene interpretation, or an interpretation based only on the Gospels, or an interpretation based on the surviving words attributed to Jesus himself ?
    Redemption, as “deliverance from sin” (redeeming immortal life by the submission of mortal life), is the same idea as moksha (release from the bondage of reincarnation), which equally involves the extinguishing of all personal karma and the absolute submission of one’s mortal life to the one divine essence of immortal Life.
    ‘redeeming immortal life by the submission of mortal life’ ... yes, I get that ... But what’s the purpose in the Christian context of this ‘immortal’ life?

The purpose of the ‘immortal life’ as I understand is to be ‘in service’ to God, to ‘spend’ this immortal life in the ‘presence of God’ or ‘at his feet’ ~ NOT to ‘be GOD’ as in moksha ... merging back to the source!
    While yet possessed of a mortal body, the spiritual ‘purpose’ of life is in the service of God and regular communion with God, dwelling always in his presence, so to speak.

The exact degree of distinction maintained by a disembodied jIva in the presence of brahma has always been a matter of great debate, and the various schools of Hindu philosophy would all offering differing opinions.

And likewise in Christianity, but if the path of yeSu is taken as the archetype of kRSTaya dharma, then surely the conclusion of his path is an eternally restful and blissful existence in absolute unity with God (or at least equivalence with the “hand” of God, who, being ultimately ekapAt, is entirely known by identity with just one limb).

If a myriad of separate eternal spirits are imagined, forever separated both from one another and from the one eternal spirit of God, all resting in a heaven that is distinct from their various selves, then we have innumerable rivals for God-head ~ and dvaitavAda par excellence.

But what do the words of Jesus tell us of such an eternal separation from God, and what does his own example teach us? I can see no evidence for dvaitavAda in the teaching of Jesus Christ, but throughout this thread I have not particularly considered the exact nature of Jesus’ advaitavAda (which includes various streams, from ajAtivAda to vishiSTAdvaitavAda).

To my mind, the whole story already appeared in Hindu scripture long before the supposed historical events, so no particular person or true historical events are actually required to explain it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saidevo

I have some doubts and questions about this text of yours. If you don't mind, you might add more clarity to them:

1. Which Hindu scripture gives ‘the whole story’ about the birth of Christianity?
    Since the very beginning of this thread, I have been trying to show that the story of Christianity (which includes both the Old and New Testaments, related in a similar manner to the veda and vedAnta of Hinduism) is largely repeated from saMskRta themes, but in an independently elaborated apabhraMsa ‘translation’. And whether nArAyaNa (yeSu), in heaven, is considered as absolutely identical with nara (yahva), or sitting on the right hand of nara, or running in circles with nara on his head, it makes little difference to the overall story.

Thumbs Up Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Namaste Satay,

The context of the whole Bible is the relation of ‘yahva’ and ‘yeSu’.

The context of Psalms 18 and 19 is the singer dAva (agni) or dAvat (“giving”) offering praise to the chief musician (yahvI or rodasI or iLA ~ i.e. vAc ~ or to yahvaH, who is agni himself).

It is not possible to realize identity with God by asking for anything.

David composed Psalm 18 on the day of his deliverance from all his enemies, and the greatest ‘enemy’ of every mortal being is the consuming darkness of death.

From Psalm 18:
    I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. From Psalm 19 (the jihva of dAva praising the vAc of yahva):

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
    The nature of this enlightenment is more explicitly revealed as the Bible unfolds.
    Psalm 18 ~ “the lord my god will enlighten my darkness”
    What darkness will be enlightened?
    Psalm 19 ~ “the commandment of the lord is pure, enlightening the eyes”
    The darkness of my eyes?
    Ephesians 1 ~ “the eyes of your understanding being enlightened”
    The darkness of the eyes of my understanding.

The nature of the darkness is clear, but what is the nature of the enlightenment?
    Ephesians 1 ~ “that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints”
    So enlightenment involves knowledge of “the glory of his inheritance in the saints”.

Ephesians 1 ~ “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him”
    “The glory of his inheritance in the saints” is “the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him” (i.e. of God).

And, the “spirit of wisdom” and “revelation of knowledge” is described:

Ephesians 1 ~ “the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come.
    And Hebrews 6 provides more details of the enlightened ones, who “have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the holy ghost, and have tasted the good word of god, and the powers of the world to come”.

Most excellent analysis !

If I may borrow Yajvan's words, I am starting to see the 'sameness'...
    satay

Since the very beginning of this thread, I have been trying to show that the story of Christianity (which includes both the Old and New Testaments, related in a similar manner to the veda and vedAnta of Hinduism) is largely repeated from saMskRta themes, but in an independently elaborated apabhraMsa ‘translation’. And whether nArAyaNa (yeSu), in heaven, is considered as absolutely identical with nara (yahva), or sitting on the right hand of nara, or running in circles with nara on his head, it makes little difference to the overall story.

Namaste,

(Edited)

The many and the ONE and the intersection and reunion of same.

Plus la change, plus le meme chose.

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Most excellent analysis !

If I may borrow Yajvan's words, I am starting to see the 'sameness'...
    Namaste Satay,

It is good that you can now see the sameness which most Hindu Gurus teach and to which many Hindus concur. At least 5-10% Hindus understand the Atman as one (Advaita) and most others agree that the Atman is the highest Lord. My only problem is this: can you show this sameness to a christian and convince him? Will he not teach you back "No my Lord Jesus is the only Lord and only light"?

The original question remains: If Mohammed, Yahva, Jesus all are in Veda then what need a Hindu should have to follow Jesus, discarding Sanatana dharma? Conversely, what need a christian missionary has of preaching and trying to redeem others, especially Hindus?

Another question has remained unanswered. Who will counter the rational factual argument that Veda itself is not indigenous, since there is no paelentological evidence of horses in India in Harrappan time. Thus Yahva, Jesu etc. etc. are our words and not your words.

I wished to show this much. Our words -Your words. This argument has no scope to stop. Whereas, the Veda is the silent experience of Self as knowledge (Veda), which illumines the objective knowledge of non-Self. Getting lost in objective knowledge is distraction and ignorance. The whole matter, I think, is clouded by misguided knowledge that Veda is external to oneself and that it can be copied from here and there. That Veda is in audible and readable words and in similarity of sounds.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 03 May 2008 at 02:50 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste everyone.

Some excellent and connotative explanations by Sarabhanga, although much laboured and somewhat extrapolated for the commons, specially when different books of the Bible are related, treating one is a bhAShya for another.

Correct me if I am wrong: with my limited exposure to them, my impression of the books of the Bible is that we cannot exactly relate the Old and New Testaments in the way we relate Vedas and Upanishads, specially when the New Testament books talk chiefly about the (mythical) Jesus Christ and how everyone should submit to him as the only Supreme Personality of Godhood, much on the lines of Srila Prabhupada's commentary on the Bhagavatam. The submission would fetch the heaven under the kingdom of God where the faithful would for ever serve as a subject, with no entitlement of further aspirations.

Even the sort of 'enlightenment' the Bible books talk of, as Sarabhanga has shown, has to be garnered by relating phrases from one or more of the books to one or many of the other books and presuming this is how it should have been intended, so this is how it should be read.

I am reminded of the movie Die Hard 4.0 starring Bruce Willis, in which Infotech terrorists take total control over the American social and financial systems. First they take over the traffic control, then the stock market and start the third stage of obtaining control of the public utilities. They also drive the FBI staff out of their offices by a fraudulently simulated Anthrax alarm! As the FBI remains clueless, the terrorists take over the TV network and telecast their message, by taking words and phrases from the speeches of American Presidents and stringing them together, thus:

- My fellow Americans... -..it is time to... strike... fear... into... the hearts of... citizenry. - Ask not... ..what your country can do... to avert... this... crisis. - The answer is... -..nothing whatsoever. Our military... strength... is... in this case... ..useless. Read my Iips. The... great... confident... roar... of... American... progress... and... growth... has come to... an end. All the... vital... technology... that... this nation... holds dear... all... communications... transportation... the internet... connectivity... electrical... power... critical... utilities... their... fate... now... rests... in... our... hands. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail. I don't know how they're getting in. Thank you. And a... happy Independence Day... to everyone.

I do not mean to underestimate the great work Sarabhanga is doing, but this might be how it may all sound to the Christian commons and the Church nobles and scholars; and then there is the question of the Hindu commons getting this knowledge to heart, so they might be armed with knowledge against conversions.

Moreover, the Pauline Ephesians are addressed to saints, not to the common people, whereas the Hindu scriptures have always focussed on the Jivatma and say that it is not different from the Paramatma in essence. Do we find the equivalent of clear-cut messages such as in the Mahavakhyas (tat tvam asi, aham brahmAsmi, ayam AtmA brahma, prajnyAnam brahma) in the Books of the Bible?
    Last edited by saidevo; 03 May 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Namaste Atanu,
    ----
    So I simply enquired, “such as?” ~ admittedly poor grammar, but I didn’t expect my previous casual question (now clarified) to simply be shouted back to me.

If mentioning Subash Kak is all you wanted, surely that has already been done. But if you expect me to search out previous references for every point, I really don’t have the time. If I knowingly repeat the words or the novel ideas of another, then of course there will always be a reference. But I have no inclination to search for possible prior references to every idea that springs (independently) to mind.
    Namaste Sarabhanga,

It is natural that one will not know everything and one will not be able to search for all references (and you are after all a man). But then one will not emphatically say 'And where is the origin of YHV from vedic Sanskrit previously known?' without caring to check (Even Shri Kak has not cared to mention the original references).

I have full freedom to point out the far fetched nature of your conclusions.

I do not understand how a religion based on wrongly parsed verses (as per you) lead to the same ultimate truth as of the Vedas?

I do not understand how a scripture (Bible), which you time and again say is teaching exactly the same knowledge as Veda/Vedanta, gives rise to missionaries?

By no amount of imagination, Kavi (Agni who illumines abhram) and abhram can be considered a single sage. That verse is about Agni. Similarly why should Bible writers particularly mis-parse a term which is very close to Brahman? The meaning of Moses to Jews and Egyptians is also just opposite of what you indicate.

Though what you say may be plausible, I do not agree to your hypothesis at all (and for that you should not act personal). Because there is no science in it. Out of the many thousand words a few matches will be found always and creating a big hypothesis (and pushing the hypothesis as the only possible truth seen by you only) is unscientific, which I did not expect of you. Such unscientific claim and counter claims add fuel to wars.

http://www.voi.org/books/ait/ch45.htm
    http://www.logon.org/english/s/b1.html

Contradictory inferences based on linguistics (as shown in above two references) will never cease.

When we talk of wrong parsing etc., I wonder who did it and what God was doing?

Why cannot we simply say that Shakti Putra Agni is vaisvanara -- ONE GOD, who illumines everywhere and everytime. Some grasp the Dvaita more and some grasp Advaita more? And it is God who alone has charted the prescriptions -- such as Da-Da-Da.

Om
    Last edited by satay; 05 May 2008 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information