Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Namaste Sarabhanga.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    It would be very easy to take these lines out of context and then similarly denigrate all Hindus as "worse than cannibals", but it would only stir up indignation and fuel mindless hatred ~ which seems to be the intention of Swami Prakashananda (founder of the "International Society of Divine Love").
    Firstly, I am not a devotee/disciple of Swami Prakashananda or in anyway connected with his institution. That said, I think you have formed your opinion in haste about Swamiji just from one of his statements, while you would like to weigh Jones' words by looking at all the aspects of what he wrote, which seems to me to be prejudicial.

The statement of Swamiji about "God’s dinner party" that gives you the impression that it seems to be his intention of 'fuelling mindless hatred', has been part of his well-received book The True History and the Religion of India: A Concise Encyclopedia of Authentic Hinduism, parts of which he has reproduced in his Website.

The book has received favourable reviews from Hindu notables in different walks of life and from at least one Christian notable, Dr. David Campos, Professor, Roosevelt University, Chicago; none of them has taken exception to the statement on the lines you are suggesting.

Here is a brief review of the book and its author, posted in the Website http://www.accessmylibrary.com/ (undelining mine).

At last here is a book about India by an Indian, who is also a renowned religious leader, a social reformer and a Vedic historian. Swami Prakashananda Saraswati had intense training in Indian philosophy, metaphysics, logic and related subjects over a 40-year period. He was offered the prestigious position of the pontiff of the ancient order of Shankara, at the Jotishmath. He refused to accept this and went to Mathura, the birth place of Lord Krishna and devoted himself to the service of the community and the temple at that place. In 1988, he came to Austin, Texas and established the largest temple complex in north America. He has written over 9 books on various aspects of Hindu ethics, scriptures and practices....
    I thought that Swami Prakashananda was a Vaishnavite. From this review I understand that he is a Advaita Shaivite, since he was offered an order of the pontiff at Shankara Jotishmath. I think the Sanskar TV telecasts his teachings at regular intervals. I listened to a few of them when the channel was available to me at home. Swamiji has a beautiful and resonating voice, and his spoken English is clear like his Sanskrit, flowing like a stream.

I have not bought and read the book in print, since it is prized at Rs.995/- (for 778 pages, a rather stiff price for me), but I do read and constantly refer to the briefs he has given in his Website.

When we discuss the seemingly endless adharma done to our religion, culture and nation by the mlecchas, it is natural that emotions run high, judgments are clouded and opinions are biased in the expressions of Hindu commons like me or my friends here. I think and wish that people like you who has wisdom and enlightenment should handle the inputs and outputs of the less wise and enlightened with sympathy, empathy and compassion and not on rigid technicalities or with stern and ironical pronouncements and emotical face-showing.

Be assured, however, that all of us here in HDFpuri appreciate your immense knowledge with Hindu scriptures and the depth of your Sanskrit scholarship. You can also notice from the number of views of this thread, that many of us do read your Hindu scriptural quotes and Sanskrit derivations; we are only waiting for you to show the connections on the lines you have done for "God’s dinner party" in the book of Revelation and the kauSItaki upaniSad, which I personally appreciate and am happy with.

As I have been reiterating, I think after you give us all your explanations about the Sanatana Dharmical roots of the western religions, you may take up compiling them into a series of articles or book and publish it on the Internet, perhaps in Wikipedia or other suitable sites.
    Last edited by saidevo; 15 March 2008 at 12:54 PM.

Namaste Sarabhanga.

1. The term "Indo-European" was coined for a group of related languages, which all stem from an early version of Sanskrit.

2. The "Indo-European" or "Aryan" language group, which arose from a common ancestral tongue that existed perhaps as early as 4,000 BC, somewhere around the Aral and Caspian Seas.

3. The expansion of "Proto-Aryan" began about 3,000 BC, and it developed along two distinct lines ~ Indo-Iranian (Indo-Aryan) and "European".

4. If the term "Proto-Indo-European" (which I only used in passing) offends you, why not focus on the equally valid alternatives: "proto-Aryan" or "pre-vedic Sanskrit" ???

5. Surely, saMskRtam is the form of sarasvatI, who is brAhmI, the vAc of brahmA.

6. saMskRta itself (especially vaidika saMskRta) is extremely close to the root.

7. Everything we know about ancient Sanskrit comes from the Vedas, and the original Rig Veda mantras have existed from the very beginnings of writing (more than 5,000 years ago).

8. And there is no concrete evidence of language before the development of writing, but the original Sanskrit must have existed long before that.

9. And there is no motivation to deny the parentage of Sanskrit!
    I have numbered the quotes from your text for ease of relating them in my understanding. I am not offended by the term 'PIE' or am specific about the term 'Proto-Aryan'. My entire question is why should there be a PIE in lieu of Sanskrit, if Sanskrit is the oldest of ALL the languages in the world and the entire comparison and relation is attuned to Sanskrit.

1. Now, the term "Indo-European" is the name of a group whereas the term "Proto-Indo-European" (PIE for short) refers to a common ancestral language for these (and other) languages of the world, right?

2. You reiterate that Sanskrit (saMskRtam) is a divine language given by Goddess Sarasvati (#5), but the quotes #6 and #7 seem to contradict this statement.

3. What do you mean by saMskRta itself (especially vaidika saMskRta), being 'extremely close to the root'. Which root, the hypothetical PIE? Doesn't this mean that 'the root', the PIE, precedes (vaidika) saMskRta in time and that the latter is derived from the PIE?

Or do you mean to say that the root, the PIE is very close to vaidika saMskRta, which is much earlier in time?

4. When a 'common ancestral tongue' was spoken perhaps as early 4,000 BCE (#2) and the 'Proto-Aryan' family of languages expanded from it from 3,000 BCE (#3), and Sanskrit belongs to this 'Proto-Aryan' or 'Indo-Iranian' family, this surely means that the PIE is earlier to Sanskrit!

5. Again, if whatever we know of Sanskrit comes from the original Rig Veda mantras that were first written down 'more than 5,000 years ago' (#7), this would place the time of Rig Veda as 3,000 BCE, 1000 years later to the date of the PIE. If we agree that all dates relate only to this Kali Yuga that started in 3102 BCE, then what about the period Sri Rama who lived at the end of the Treta Yuga, or even the dates in the Dvapara Yuga? What language did Rama and Krishna speak? Are they not historical figures?

6. All languages are first spoken; reducing them to letters in writing comes later. Even today, there are languages that have no script (Tulu, I think, is one such language). Therefore, as you say the "original Sanskrit must have existed long before" (#8). And that Sanskrit was perhaps only a spoken language.

7. You say "there is no motivation to deny the parentage of Sanskrit!" but the ideas of PIE proponents seem to be different. While they say that PIE was never written down, only spoken, so there is no concrete evidence of it, they also say that Sanskrit is not a spoken language, so they deny any date to it earlier, at best to the date of Rig Veda (which is officially around 1500 BCE)!

If the civilization in Bharata-varsha was the most ancient and earliest in time, and Sanskrit was spoken there (as Sanskrit by the Brahmanas and Prakrit by the general public), and if Sanskrit is the 'mother of all languages', then there is no need for the hypothetical PIE at all; this is my position on the subject.

Post Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Quote Originally Posted by Saidevo

William Jones' height of idiocy is in his two perceptions:

1. His comparison of Sri Rama to Dionysos (or Dionysus, also known as Bacchus), the Greek god of wine and revelry, whose worship was by a festival called Bacchanalia, characterised by a drunken party and orgy (Websters' dictionary definition).

Won't this comparison seem idiotic (and even be shocking) to every Hindu? Surely Jones must have known about and perhaps witnessed the worship of Rama in India. In what way did he find those rituals similar to the Bacchanalian worship, or the characters of Rama and Dionysos similar, that gave him the 'confidence' to equate Rama with Dionysos?

What is so odd about Swami Prakashananda, founder of the 'International Society of Divine Love', taking exception to it?

As Jones' 'approach' seem 'quite reasonable' to you, and since you have also highlighted it in red, how does this comparison seem to you?
    Namaste Saidevo,

What I have highlighted in red is simply the omission made Swami Prakashananda.

Since the import of the omission seems to have been missed, I will repeat it:

The Hindus have a great number of regular dramas at least two thousand years old, and among them are several very fine one’s on the story of Rama, which, in unity of action, magnificence of imagery, and elegance of style, far surpasses the learned and elaborate work of Nonnus, entitled Dionysiaca. I shall never have leisure to compare the Dionysiacks with the Ramayan.

Perhaps without the deliberate omission Jones’ praise of the Ramayana as both more ancient and more brilliant than the Dionysiaca, the quote would not have been so shocking.

And this has nothing to do with “advaitic nuances” !!

We should consider what Sir William Jones actually has to say on the subject at hand:

Two incarnate deities of the first rank, Rama and Crishna, must now be introduced, and their several attributes distinctly explained. The first of them, I believe, was the Dionysos of the Greeks, whom they named Bromius, without knowing why; and Bugenes, when they represented him horned; as well as Lyaios and Eleuththerios, the Deliverer, and Triambos, or Dithyrambos, the Triumphant: most of those titles were adopted by the Romans, by whom he was called Bruma, Tauriformis, Liber, Triumphus; and both nations had records or traditionary accounts of his giving laws to men and deciding their contents, of his improving navigation and commerce, and, what may appear yet more observable, of his conquering India and other countries with an army of Satyrs, commanded by no less a personage than Pan.

It were superfluous in a mere essay, to run any length in the parallel between this European god and the sovereign of Ayodhya, whom the Hindus believe to have been an appearance on the earth of the Preserving power; to have been a Conqueror of the highest renown, and the deliverer of nations from tyrants, as well as of his consort Sita from the giant Ravan, king of Lanca, and to have commanded in chief a numerous and intrepid race of those large Monkeys, which our naturalists, or some of them, have denominated as Indian Satyrs: his General the Prince of Satyrs, was named Hanumat … and, with workmen of such agility, he soon raised a bridge of rocks over the sea, part of which, say the Hindus, yet remains; and it is, probably, the series of rocks, to which the Muselmans or the Portuguese have given the foolish name of Adam’s (it should be called Rama’s) bridge.

I had almost forgotten, that, Meros is said by the Greeks to have been a mountain in India, on which their Dionysos was born, and that Meru, though it generally means the north pole in Indian geography, is also a mountain near the city of Naishada or Nysa, called by the Greek geographers Dionysopolis, and universally celebrated in the Sanskrit poems; though the birth place of Rama is supposed to have been Ayodhya or Audh. That city extended, if we believe the Brahmans, over a line of ten Yojans, or about forty miles, and the present city of Lac’hnau, pronounced Lucnow, was only a lodge for one of its gates, called Lacshmanadwara, or the gate of Lacshman, a brother of Rama.

The war of Lanca is dramatically represented at the festival of Rama on the ninth day of the new moon of Chaitra; and the drama concludes (says Holwel, who had often seen it) with an exhibition of the fire-ordeal, by which the victor’s wife Sita gave proof of her connubial fidelity.

[And regarding Mahadeva:] in regard to Bacchus, the God of Vintage (between whose acts and those of Jupiter we find, as Bacon observes, a wonderful affinity), his Ithyphallick images, measures, and ceremonies alluded probably to the supposed relation of Love and Wine; unless we believe them to have belonged originally to Siva, one of whose names is Vagis or Bagis, and to have been afterwards improperly applied. Though, in an essay on the Gods of India, where the Brahmans are positively forbidden to taste fermented liquors, we can have little to do with Bacchus, as God of Wine, who was probably no more than the imaginary President over the vintage in Italy, Greece, and the lower Asia, yet we must not omit Suradevi the Goddess of Wine, who arose, say the Hindus, from the ocean, when it was churned with the mountain Mandar: and this fable seems to indicate, that the Indians came from a country in which wine was anciently made and considered as a blessing; though the dangerous effects of intemperance induced their early legislators to prohibit the use of all spiritous liquors; and it were much to be wished, that so wise a law had never been violated.

Many learned Mythologists, with Giraldus at their head, consider the peaceful Minerva as the Isis of Egypt; from whose temple at Sais a wonderful inscription is quoted by Plutarch, which has resemblance to the four Sanskrit verses above exhibited as the text of the Bhagavat: “I am all, that hath been, and is, and shall be; and my veil no mortal hath ever removed.” For my part I have no doubt, that the Iswara and Isi of the Hindus are the Osiris and Isis of the Egyptians; though a distinct essay in the manner of Plutarch would be requisite in order to demonstrate their identity: they mean, I conceive, the Powers of Nature considered as male and Female; and Isis, like the other goddesses, represents the active power of her lord, whose eight forms, under which he becomes visible to man, were enumerated by Calidasa near two thousand years ago: “Water was the first work of the Creator; and Fire receives the oblation of clarified butter, as the law ordains; the Sacrifice is performed with solemnity; the two Lights of heaven distinguish time; the subtil Ether, which is the vehicle of sound, pervades the universe; the Earth is the natural parent of all increase; and by Air all things breathing are animated: may Isa, the power propitiously apparent in these eight forms bless and sustain you!” The five elements, therefore, as well as the Sun and the Moon, are considered as Isa or the Ruler, from which the word Isi may be regularly formed, though Isani be the usual name of his active Power, adored as the Goddess of nature.

By means of the Puranas, we shall in time discover all the learning of the Egyptians without deciphering their hieroglyphicks: the bull of Iswara seems to be Apis, or Ap, as he is more correctly named.

In the temples and paintings of Hindustan … it never seems to have entered the heads of the legislators or people that any thing natural could be offensively obscene; a singularity, which pervades all their writings and conversation, but is no proof of depravity of morals.

We must not be surprised at finding, on a close examination, that the characters of all the pagan deities, male and female, melt into each other, and at last into one or two; for it seems a well-founded opinion, that the whole crowd of gods and goddesses in ancient Rome, and modern Varanes, mean only the powers of nature, and principally those of the Sun, expressed in a variety of ways.

Thus have I attempted to trace, imperfectly at present for want of ampler materials, but with a confidence continually increasing as I advanced, a parallel between the Gods adored in three very different nations, Greece, Italy, and India; but, which was the original system and which the copy, I will not presume to decide; nor are we likely, I believe, to be soon furnished with sufficient grounds for a decision: the fundamental rule, that natural, and most human, operations proceed from the simple to the compound, will afford no assistance on this point; since neither the Asiatick nor European system has any simplicity in it; and both are so complex … that the honour, such as it is, of the invention cannot be allotted to either with tolerable certainty.

Since Egypt appears to have been the grand force of knowledge for the western, and India for the more eastern, parts of the globe, it may seem a natural question, whether the Egyptians communicated their Mythology and Philosophy to the Hindus, or conversely; but what the learned of Memphis wrote or said concerning India no mortal knows: and what the learned of Varanes have asserted, if any thing, concerning Egypt, can give us little satisfaction.

As far as Etymology can help us, we may safely derive Nilus from the Sansrit word nila, or blue; since Dionysius expressly calls the waters of that river “an azure stream” … and the name Nila is given to a lofty a sacred mountain with a summit of pure gold, from which flowed a river of clear, sweet, and fresh water. M. Sonnerat refers to a dissertation by Mr. Schmit, which gained a prize at the Academy of Inscriptions, “On an Egyptian Colony established in India”: it would be worth while to examine his authorities, and either to overturn or verify them by such higher authorities, as are now accessible in these provinces. I strongly incline to think him right, and to believe that Egyptian priests have actually come from the Nile to the Ganga and Yamuna, which the Brahmans most assuredly would never have left: they might, indeed, have come either to be instructed or to instruct; but it seems more probable, that they visited the Surmans of India, as the sages of Greece visited them, rather to acquire than to impart knowledge; nor is it likely, that the self-sufficient Brahmans would have received them as their preceptors.

Be all this as it may, I am persuaded, that a connection subsisted between the old idolatrous nations of Egypt, India, Greece, and Italy, long before they migrated to their several settlements, and consequently before the birth of Moses.

The Hindus … would readily admit the truth of the Gospel; but they contend, that it is perfectly consistent with their Sastras: the deity, they say, has appeared innumerable times, in many parts of this world and of all worlds, for the salvation of his creatures; and though we adore him in one appearance, and they in others, yet we adore, they say, the same God, to whom several worships, though different in form, are equally acceptable, if they be sincere in substance. We may assure ourselves, that neither Muselmans nor Hindus will ever be converted by any mission from the Church of Rome, or from any other church.

What I can't understand is that while you have merely said that Dionysos is more like rudra, and hinted at Swamiji's ignorance about "God’s dinner party", you have not said anything about Jone's comparison of Rama to a Greek wine god (which comparison only smacks of ignorance and idiocy to me, a common Hindu)!
    I can only suggest that anyone who denies the comparison has never witnessed the navarAtra in rural (especially northern) India!

Please consider the nature of rAma dAsharathi and the rAmAyaNa and the navarAtrika festival, along with some notes on dionysos (and his relationship with India):

rAmAyaNa is “relating to rAma dAsharathi” and vAlmIki’s rAmAyaNam describes the ayana (“goings”) of the dAsharathI (rAma and lakshmaNa) and sItA.

And rAmAyaNa is a patronymic formation, meaning “son of rama” ~ just as nArAyaNa is the “son of nara”.

The cerebral semi-vowel rakAra arises from agni and is associated with kAla (as time and division).

ra indicates “motion or vibration, acquiring or giving, and thus possessing or having”.

ra is “fire, brightness, splendor, gold, love, desire, or amorous play”.

ra is invoked as raktA, and raM is the agni bIjam.

rakta is “coloured, dyed, painted, reddened, red, crimson, excited, affected with passion or love, impassioned, enamoured, charmed, attached, devoted, fond, beloved, dear, lovely, pleasant, sweet, engaging in pastime, playful, or sporting”.

rakta is “redness or fire”, and raktam is “blood, or particularly the menstrual fluid”.

ram means “to stop, stay, make fast, calm, stand still, set at rest, abide, delight o be delighted, gladden or be glad, please or be pleased, make happy, rejoice, play or sport, put to stake, dally, caress, enjoy carnally, have sexual intercourse, or couple (as deer)”, indicating “brightness or splendor”.

And the second person active imperative, compelling all of the above, is rama.

rama is “pleasing, delighting, rejoicing, dear, or beloved”, indicating “joy, a lover or husband, or the god of love (kAmadeva)”.

ramA is “a wife or mistress, or the goddess of fortune (lakshmI)”, “good luck, fortune, splendour, opulence, or pomp”.

rAma is “causing rest” or “dark or black”, “a black bird or crow”, or “pleasing, pleasant, charming, lovely, or beautiful”, indicating “a lover, pleasure, joy, or delight”.

rAmI is “darkness or night” ~ synonymous with rAtrI or rAtri, as “the bestower”, “the season of rest”, “the darkness or stillness of night” ~ and rAtrau or rAtryAm is “at night or by night”.

rAmA is “a beautiful woman, any young and charming woman, a mistress or wife, any woman, a dark woman, or a woman of low origin”

rAmA is “vermilion, red earth, or gorocanA (a bright yellow orpiment prepared from the bile of cattle, employed in painting and dyeing, and in marking the tilaka on the forehead, and also used as a sedative or tonic)”.

rAmam = kuSTham = kuSThikA (“the contents of the entrails”) or kakundaram (“the cavities of the loins”).

kuS means “to tear asunder, pinch, force or draw out, extract, knead, test, gnaw, or nibble”.

kusha is “a grass with long pointed stalks (Poa cynosuroides)” or “a rope (made of kusha grass) used for connecting the yoke of a plough with the pole”.

kushA is “a ploughshare”, and kusham is “water”.

kusha is “a son of rAma”.

And kusha may also be “wicked, depraved, mad, or inebriate”.

kushavat is “covered with kusha grass”, and kushAvatI is “residence of kusha (the son of rAma)”.

kushala (also kuSala or kusala) is “right, proper, suitable, good, well, healthy, in good condition, prosperous, fit, competent, able, skilful, clever, or conversant”.

kushalam is “welfare, well-being, prosperous condition, happiness, benevolence, virtue, cleverness, competence, or ability”.

kushalavat is “well or healthy”, and kushalavAc is “eloquent”.

The kushalAs are the “brAhmaNAs of kushadvIpa”, and the kushalau represent the ashvinau.

The kushalavau or kushIlavau are “the two sons of rAma (kusha and lava)”.

And kushAmba is “a son of kusha (and founder of the town kaushAmbI)”.

kushi is “an owl”, and kushika is “squint-eyed”, and kushin is “furnished with kusha grass”.

kushikas is “a ploughshare”, or “the father of vishvAmitra”, and the kushikAs are his descendants.

kosala or koshala is another name for ayodhyA, the capital of kosala; and kosalajA (“daughter of kosala”) is the mother of rAma.

And rAma is kaushikapriya (“dear to kaushika” ~ i.e. to indra, and the descendents of vishvAmitra, the son of kushika).

kushIlam is “a bad character”, and kushIlava is “a bard, herald, actor, mime, or newsmonger”, and kushI or kushIlava are names of vAlmIki, who brought up kusha and lava (or lavaNa) as his own, and taught them to repeat the rAmAyaNa at assemblies.

lava is “cutting, reaping, mowing, plucking, gathering, loss, destruction, or sport”.

lAva is “cutting, cutting off, plucking, reaping, gathering, cutting to pieces, destroying, or killing”.

lavana is “a cutter or reaper”, and lavanam is “the act of cutting, reaping , mowing, etc.” or “an implement for cutting, a sickle, knife, etc.”.

lavaNa is “saline, salt, briny, tasteful, graceful, handsome, or beautiful”, and lavaNA is “lustre, grace, or beauty”.

lakshmaNa is “having marks or signs or characteristics, endowed with auspicious signs or marks, lucky, or fortunate”, and lakshmaNam is “a mark, sign, or token”. And what is the “auspicious mark” if not the shiva liÑgam?

sita is “white, pale, bright, light (as the waxing moon), candid, or pure”.

And sita is “bound, tied, or fettered, joined, or accompanied”.

sitA is “white sugar, moonlight, a handsome woman, or spirituous liquor”.

sItA is “a furrow” or “the track or line of a ploughshare”, and she is ayonijA, born through the sacrifice of janaka. And sItA also indicates “spirituous liquor”.

rAma dAsharathi is descended from dasharatha (“having ten chariots”), who is the son of navaratha.

And dasharatham is “the body”.

dasharAtra is “a ceremony lasting ten days”, and navarAtra is “a ceremony lasting nine days”, and the rAmAyaNa and rAmAyaNI are observed simultaneously over nine nights and ten days, as the autumnal harvest festival and celebration of the destruction of rAvaNa on the tenth day of dashera, which is “mordacious, injuring or attacking or killing (especially when asleep). And dasheram is “a beast of prey”.

The blood-thirsty devImAhAtmyam is chanted throughout the navarAtrika, and on the ninth day goats are sacrificed, and on the tenth day human effigies are burned; the rAmAyaNa is performed, and the wicker man is rAvaNa, whose destruction is associated with joyous revelry.

And what of Dionysos, “the god of wine and revelry” ?

The mother of Dionysos was Semele (“the earth mother”), and his consort was Aphrodite, and their son was Priapos. And Dionysos is characteristically worshipped with the dithyrambos (“a wild chorus”). And from this thriambos (“hymn to Dionysos”), comes the Etruscan triumpus and Roman triumphus (“achievement or success, particularly marked by a procession for the victorious general”).

At the festival of Dionysos at Athens, the trilogia (a series of three related tragedies) was performed.

The erect liÑgam is the signature of Dionysos, and the worship of Dionysos included orgia (“secret rites”), involving extravagant dancing, singing, and drinking, but the term has degenerated in English to broadly indicate “any licentious revelry”.

There is much similarity between rudra (as hara, the hunter) and Dionysus Zagreus (god of the orphic mystery cults), and rustic shaiva worship is just like that of the Dionysiacs.

In some accounts, Dionysus is the son of the god Zeus and the mortal woman Semele, who is killed by Zeus’ lightning bolts while Dionysus is still in her womb. Dionysus is rescued and undergoes a second birth from Zeus himself, after developing in his thigh. Zeus then gives the infant to some nymphs to be raised.

And in others, Dionysus is first the son of Zeus and Persephone, but the Titans rip him to shreds and eat all but his heart, which is saved and implanted by Zeus in Semele, who bears a new Dionysus Zagreus.

And Dionysus is thus known as “twice born”.

According to Megasthenes, there were dionysiac festivals in honor of shiva in the ashvaka region (north of the Kabul River), where vineyards were abundant.

The Dionysiac festival involved drinking wine as a necessary ritual, conveying immortality, and shiva is likewise always associated with intoxication. Both the Bacchants and the keshin followers of rudra shiva dance and sing and behave like lunatics, often revolting the common man’s sense of decency.

See also: soma and the keshin

shiva is known as unmattaveSapracchanna ~ “clad in the wild dress of a lunatic” ~ and gaNesha is unmattavinAyaka ~ “leader of the lunatics”.

Euripides calls Dionysos “the bull-horned god”, and “a snake with darting heads”, and the most important offering to Dionysos was a bull.

Other names of Dionysos include, Bacchos, Iacchos, Lyaios, Lenaios, Evios, Bromios, Liber, and Thriambos.

According to Arrian:

In the country traversed by Alexander between the Kophen and the Indus, they say that there stood the city of Nysa, which owed its foundation to Dionysos.

[Akubhi, the president of Nysa, told Alexander:] “Dionysos called our city Nysa, and our land the Nysaian, after the name of his nurse Nysa; and he besides gave to the mountain which lies near the city the name of Meros.”

Alexander confirmed the inhabitants of Nysa in the enjoyment of their freedom and their own laws; and he praised their laws because the government of their state was in the hands of the aristocracy.

Anyone who hears these stories is free to believe them or disbelieve them as he chooses.

The Indians worship the other gods, and especially Dionysos, with cymbals and drums, which he had taught them to use. He also taught them the satyric dance, called the kordax.

Nysa was called Nagara or Dionysopolis by Ptolemy, which is most likely the ancient capital of nagarahAra (near Jalalabad and the Khyber Pass).

Nearby is Mount Elum, otherwise known as Ram Takht (“the throne of Rama”), which fits the descriptions given of Meros.

According to Strabo:

In Sophocles, a person is introduced speaking the praises of Nysa, as a mountain sacred to Bacchos: ‘Whence I beheld the famed Nysa, the resort of Bacchanalian bands, which the horned Iacchos makes his most pleasant and beloved retreat, where no bird’s clang is heard.’ From such stories they gave the name Nysaians to some imaginary nation, and called their city Nysa, founded by Bacchus; a mountain above the city they called Meros, alleging as a reason for imposing these names that the ivy and vine grow there, although the latter does not perfect its fruit, for the bunches of grapes drop off before maturity in consequence of the excessive rains.

The country lying between these two rivers [the Kophes and the Indus] is occupied by the Astakenoi, Masianoi, Nysaioi, and the Hippasioi.

According to Pliny:

Most writers assume that the city Nysa, and also the mountain Merus, consecrated to the god Bacchus, belong to India. This mountain whence rose the fable that Bacchus issued from the thigh (meros) of Jupiter. They also assign to India the country of the Aspagani, so plentiful in vines, laurel, and box, and all kinds of fruitful trees that grow in Greece.

On Nysa, a mountain in India, there are lizards 24 feet in length, and in colour yellow or purple or blue.

According to observations of the rAma lIlA recorded by Bishop Heber in his Indian Journal:

The two brothers Rama and Luchman, in a splendid palkee, were conducting the retreat of their army. The divine Huniman, as naked an almost as hairy as the animal he represented, was gamboling before them, with a long tail tied round his waist, a mask to represent the head of a baboon, and two great pointed clubs in his hands. His army followed, a number of men with similar tails and masks, their bodies dyed with indigo, and also armed with clubs.

I was never so forcibly struck with the identity of Rama and Bacchus. Here were before me Bacchus, his brother Ampelus, the Satyrs, smeared with wine-lees, and the great Pan commanding them.

And then Jones' statement that Rama, "the son of Cush, who might have established the first regular government in this part of Asia."

You have not said anything about this statement either, except simply quoting the passage
    Well, Jones says nothing more on the matter ~ do you expect me to invent something ???

William Jones was simply using the biblical name (“Raamah, son of Cush”) and relating that to the known characteristics of rAma, the inheritor of koshala and most famous “son of kusha” whose own son is named kusha.

Genesis 10:

Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.

The sons of Japheth: Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

And the sons of Gomer: Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.

And the sons of Javan: Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

And the sons of Ham: Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.

And the sons of Cush: Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah. And the sons of Raamah: Sheba, and Dedan.

And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.

He was a mighty hunter before the Lord: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord.

And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.

Out of that land went forth Asshur, and built Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah,

And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.

And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim,

And Pathrusim, and Casluhim (out of whom came Philistim), and Caphtorim.

And Canaan begat Sidon his first born, and Heth,

And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite,

And the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite,

And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad.

And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha.

These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.

Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, even to him were children born.

The children of Shem: Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.

And the children of Aram: Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.

And Arphaxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber.

And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg, for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan.

And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah,

And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah,

And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba,

And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.

And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar, a mount of the east.

These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.

These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.

Genesis 11:

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar.

And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men built.

And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.

So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

These are the generations of Shem: Shem was an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood:

And Shem lived after he begat Arphaxad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah;

And Arphaxad lived after he begat Salah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Salah lived thirty years, and begat Eber;

And Salah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg;

And Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu;

And Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug;

And Reu lived after he begat Serug two hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor;

And Serug lived after he begat Nahor two hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah;

And Nahor lived after he begat Terah an hundred and nineteen years, and begat sons and daughters.

And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran.

Now these are the generations of Terah: Terah begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran; and Haran begat Lot.

And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.

And Abram and Nahor took them wives: the name of Abram’s wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor’s wife, Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah, and the father of Iscah.

But Sarai was barren; she had no child.

And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son’s son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram’s wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there.

And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran.

while you have laughed at Swamiji's words about the black and white picture of Rama that Jones printed!
    I was laughing more at the pictures themselves, which in some editions are rather poor. But the illustration of shrI rAma (reproduced in the attached image) should certainly not be considered as offensive or derogatory!

Attachment 343

Swami Prakshananda exclaims:

Hold your breath, if you have a regard for Bhagwan Ram…

Along with the above writings an ugly black and white picture with a footnote “Rama” is printed. The picture shown there appears to have been specially created to look like a worldly stern Muslim ruler with a sword in his hand.

Can you (or anyone) explain such remarks made about an 18th century depiction of Lord Rama? ~ except as a deliberate attempt to generate scorn and derision regarding the author so that anything he might have said becomes tainted with the same impression of corruption and the whole work and all of its implications can be simply dismissed.

I am quite familiar with this tactic!

Who is this Cush and what way is he related to Rama or Dionysos for that matter?
    Armed with such a limited understanding of the matter, do you not think that it is rather premature and arrogant to suggest that Sir William Jones’ understanding represents the “height of idiocy” ???
    Last edited by satay; 05 July 2008 at 11:04 AM.

Exclamation Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post

I think you have formed your opinion in haste about Swamiji just from one of his statements, while you would like to weigh Jones' words by looking at all the aspects of what he wrote, which seems to me to be prejudicial.

When we discuss the seemingly endless adharma done to our religion, culture and nation by the mlecchas, it is natural that emotions run high, judgments are clouded and opinions are biased in the expressions of Hindu commons like me or my friends here. I think and wish that people like you who has wisdom and enlightenment should handle the inputs and outputs of the less wise and enlightened with sympathy, empathy and compassion and not on rigid technicalities or with stern and ironical pronouncements and emotical face-showing.
    According to Swami Prakashananda:

Such a heinous plot was launched against India with two main objectives: (1) To destroy Bhartiya religion, and (2) to mutilate its history. One can imagine the depth of the evilness of their intentions of which Jones was the main implementor.

“On the Gods of Greece, Italy and India” by Jones … in which Jones had tried to demean all the forms of the Hindu God and Goddess in a very humiliating manner and tried to condemn Their Divine greatness by all means.

His writing clearly shows his atheistic views and a deep scorn for the Indian religion in his heart where he tries to demean all the forms of our God by comparing them with the fictitious mythological figures of the Greeks and Romans and calling everyone heathens.

Could you believe that such an important figure of the 18th century has gone so low as to compare the most important supreme Divine Goddesses of Vaikunth with the imaginary non-vegetarian goddesses of Homeric origin?

But, hold your breath, if you have a regard for Bhagwan Ram you may be shocked to read his outrageous statement …

Now come to his main statement about Bhagwan Ram and Dionysus, which is like synonymizing divinely blissful and glorious daylight with the demonically scary spooky and darkest midnight.

Along with the above writings an ugly black and white picture with a footnote “RAMA” is printed. There were a lot of beautiful pictures of Bhagwan Ram and also of other forms of God, but the picture shown there appears to have been specially created to look like a worldly stern Muslim ruler with a sword in his hand.

Dionysus was an imagined god of wine and worldly enjoyment. The demented hilarity of the followers of the demonic Dionysian cult involved frenzied and worse than cannibalistic savagery when intoxicated men killed some animal as a sport and frantically ate its raw flesh as a blessing of Dionysus and drank the blood of the animal.

I think Jones has established a record of how low a person could go down in deliberately degrading the religion of another nation. However, it appears that their meat eating passion was so great that they could not think of anything better. Even in their New Testament at God’s dinner party, the meat of horses and the meat of captains and men were served and an angel called out to all the flying fowls to come and enjoy the leftover varieties of human meat.

Every historian knows that the Greek and Roman gods were the imaginary figures created by the primitive people of those countries.

And I still think that, when it comes to degrading the religions of other nations, Swami Prakashananda has established his own record !

Question Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu

partial Christian position: "Do not spill pearls to swines"
    Namaste Atanu,

How does this “partial Christian position” differ from the traditional Hindu position ?

Namaste Sarabhanga.

Your dissection of the name 'Rama' to its syllabic roots with a surgeon's precision may be technically correct, but is lifeless, because it does not bring out the divinity of Rama.

For instance, in your eagerness to equate the name and God Rama with the Greek mythological wine-god Dionysus alias Bacchus, you have failed to highlight these facts about the root syllables of the name Rama:

Saint Thygaraja sings of Sri Rama:

ziva mantramunaku ma jIvamu
    mAdhava mantramunaku rA jIvamu(y)I
    vivaramu telisina ghanulaku mrokkeda
    vitaraNa guNa tyAgarAja vinuta (evarani)

"For the ziva mantra (OM namazzivAya), 'ma' is the soul; for the viSNu mantra (OM NamO nArAyanAya), 'rA' is the soul; I salute these great personages who understand this detail. O Lord having the quality of munificience praised by this tyAgarAja!"

There are only two mantras, in the whole of Hindu religious tradition, which get the epithet 'taaraka' (that which can ferry you across); and these are the syllable OM, and the name Rama.

The two most popular mantras of worship in Sanatana Dharama are: AUM namo nArAyaNa and AUM namaH shivAya.

The name rAmaH is obtained from the jIva-akShara live-giving-letters of the above two mantras.

rA comes from the eight-lettered mantra of Narayana.
    maH comes from the five-lettered mantra of Shiva.

Without the syllable rA, the Vishnu mantra becomes na ayanAya, meaning 'not going on'.
    Without the syllable ma, the Shiva mantra becomes na sivAya, meaning 'not for good'.

Thus the word Rama combines in itself the life-giving letters of the two most important mantras of the Hindu religion.

• The syllable 'ra' the moment it comes out of the tongue purifies you from all the sins by the very fact that it comes from the mantra of the protector, Naaraayana.

• On the other hand, the syllable 'ma' burns all the sins by the very fact that it comes from the mantra of Siva, the destroyer.

This is therefore the King of all mantras, the holy jewel of mantras, as is rightly sung by Saint Thiagaraja, who is one of the most famous recent historical examples of persons who attained the jivan-miukti stage - the released stage even while alive - by the sheer repetition of the Rama name.

Sources:
    http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot...ayinchiri.html
    http://www.geocities.com/profvk/mantra3.html
    What does your derivation of the name Rama say and imply of the great God, worshipped by millions of Hindus?

rAma is the equivalent of kAma(deva) because both are "pleasing, pleasant, charming, lovely, or beautiful".

rAma is "dark or black", so also is kAma that deludes and hides the eyes.

• When you chant the name rAma as rAmA, you invoke "a beautiful woman, any young and charming woman, a mistress or wife, any woman, a dark woman, or a woman of low origin"!

lokAbhirAmam shrIrAmam may be taken to mean "Rama is favourite with the world and people because rAmam is the equivalent of kakundaram and thus appeals to the "the cavities of the loins".

rAmAyaNa describes the ayana ("goings") of Rama, who is only such a personality.

The above implications may be far-fetched extrapolations; but they are there--ready for use and exploitation by a nAstika like Viramani who has inherited the Hindu and brahmin-baiting philosophy of EV Ramasamy Naicker; or a western scholar who studies Hinduism only for the sake of comparative study of religions; or worst, a Christian missionary.

There is a proverb in Tamil Ettu suraikkAi karikku udavAtu, which means, "The bottle gourd on paper won't do to make the curry." I am sorry that your dissections and derivations in the name of scholarship and comparative study do not bring out the true divinity and devotion, which is the undercurrent of all paths of sAdhana in Sanatana Dharma.
    Last edited by saidevo; 16 March 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Unhappy Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

Your dissection of the name 'Rama' to its syllabic roots with a surgeon's precision may be technically correct, but is lifeless, because it does not bring out the divinity of Rama.
    rAmAyaNa is a patronymic formation, meaning “son of rama” ~ just as nArAyaNa is the “son of nara”.

The cerebral rakAra (i.e. r) arises from agni and is associated with kAla.

ra indicates “motion or vibration, and thus giving and taking”.

ra is “fire, light, and love”.

ram is the agni bIjam and the rakta bIjam.

rakta is “impassioned, devoted, and beloved”.

rakta is “fire”, and raktam is “blood”

ram means “to set at rest, abide, make happy, and rejoice”.

rama is the active imperative form of ram.

rama is “pleasing, delighting, rejoicing, and beloved”, indicating “joy and love”.

ramA is lakshmI, or “good fortune and splendour”.

rAma is “causing rest” or “dark” or “beautiful”, indicating “joy and love” and both “the beloved and the lover”.

rAmI is “darkness or night” ~ synonymous with rAtrI, as “the bestower”, “the season of rest”, “the darkness or stillness of night”.

rAmA is both “a beautiful woman” and “the red earth”.

For instance, in your eagerness to equate the name and God Rama with the Greek mythological wine-god Dionysus alias Bacchus, you have failed to highlight these facts about the root syllables of the name Rama:
    Not at all! In your own eagerness to find fault, you have ignored the stated fact that:

The veritable dasharatham of rAma is the rAmAyaNa, which is “the son of rama”.

And rama is “the imperative of ram”, which is “the seed of rakta”, which is agni !

What does your derivation of the name Rama say and imply of the great God, worshipped by millions of Hindus?
    What does your omission of the words quoted above imply ?

Anyone who does not recognize the utmost divinity of agni can hardly be described as Hindu !

The above implications may be far-fetched extrapolations; but they are there--ready for use and exploitation by a nAstika or a western scholar who studies Hinduism only for the sake of comparatie study of religions; or worst, a Christian missionary.

“The bottle gourd on paper won't do to make the curry.”

I am sorry that your dissections and derivations in the name of scholarship and comparative study do not bring out the true divinity and devotion, which is the undercurrent of all paths of sAdhana in Sanatana Dharma.
    What is the point in any discussion when the most important details of what anyone has to say are completely ignored and the argument goes in leaps and bounds from one irrelevant detail to another in ever expanding circles from the original theme ?

Before giving ANY particular explanation to questions posed at the start of this thread, I happened to mention “Proto-Indo-European” in passing, and everything else has been completely ignored or distorted, and certainly distracted, with current argument raging over the political implications of the length of the nose depicted in a single 18th century illustration of Lord Rama !!!

You may not find ultimate divinity in the eternal conception of agni, and you may choose to ignore my mention of agni in first place in the “dissection” of rAma. But there would be no life without agni, and certainly no veda ~ so your point is moot.

I have explained my apparent omission of “life” from the diverse implications of rAma and the rAmAyaNa, and I have explained how Sir William Jones could have seen similarities between the Dionysiac mysteries and the rAmAyaNa, especially from an understanding of saMskRtam and from direct observation of the navarAtra festival in India. And I have explained how rAma could be conceived as the “son of kusha”. All of which is really beside the point of this thread.

It was NOT my idea to bring Swami Prakashananda’s opinions into this discussion, but my simple question to you remains unanswered, with only implications of the worthlessness of my answers in reply !!!
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 17 March 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Namaste Sarabhanga and others.

Armed with such a limited understanding of the matter, do you not think that it is rather premature and arrogant to suggest that Sir William Jones' understanding represents the "height of idiocy" ???
    With all humility I admit that I have only a limited understanding of the comparative study of religions, philology and history and that I have even less knowledge about Jones' works. I appreciate your elaborate quotes from Sir William 'Oriental' Jones. I also did dig up some references about him. I am convinced that Jones had extensive scholarship and am inclined to change my opinion about suggesting his 'idiocy' (by which I actually meant ignorance, 'avidyA').

Yet, for all his great scholarship, I feel and subscribe to the view that Jones had a hidden agenda and subjected all his excellent knowledge to that end and tailored it suitably to aid and abet the conversion and subversion policies of his colleagues--the colonnial ruling class of which he was part and parcel of. You may or may not agree with my opinion here which is not only based on the study of Swami Prakashananda, but from other links I have given below. I leave it to the other members for their own consideration.

Jones, in fact, can surely be called the pioneer of the ideas of PIE (Proto-Indo-European language) and the AIT (Aryan Invasion Theory), though these conspiratorial concepts and designs in those names came up later. Here are some details of Jones' hidden agenda:

Jones was first and foremost an orthodox Christian who declared:

• "The tenet of our church cannot without profaneness be compared with that of the Hindus, which has only an apparent resemblance to it, but a very different meaning." (Sastry, p.86)

and this was his hidden agenda (emphasis mine):

• "We may assure ourselves, that neither Muselmans nor Hindus will ever be converted by any mission from the Church of Rome, or from any other Church; and the only human mode, perhaps, of causing so great a revolution will be to translate into Sanskrit and Persian such chapters of the prophets, particularly of Isaiah, as are indisputably Evangelical, together with one of the Gospels, and a plain prefatory discourse containing full evidence of the very distant ages, in which tne predictions themselves, and the history of the divine person predicted, were severally made publick; and then quietly to disperse the work among the well-educated natives; with whom if in due time it failed of producing very salutary fruit by sts natural influence, we could only lament more than ever the strength of prejudice, and the weakness of unassisted reason." (Sastry, p.86-87).

Here is a picture of the marble panel in The Chapel of Oxford College that depicts Jones with a missionary skull cap, with brahmins cowering at his feet:
    Attachment 344

With these quotes, anyone can have a clear idea about the whole purpose of his extensive work (to which he gave a facade of scholarship but actually worked with vested interests behind the scenes) and can understand as to

• why he did not find correspondences between Krishna and Jesus Christ (or his God, the Father), as did some of the other western scholars and still continue to do, in their lives and teachings. Had Jones done it, he would have surely lost his job, probably branded as a hertic and possibly subjected to an inquisition!

In fact, if anyone had noticed, Jones was careful to omit the 'h' in the natural Anglican spelling of Krishna's name and spell it as Crishna, not Chrisna, (compare the names Christ, Christian, Christopher, Christina)--lest he should give the Church any impression of possible heresy in his scholarship!

So much for the scholarship and quest for true knowledge of a knighted, noble man, lauded and eulogized by most western scholars and many Hindu pundits. Perhaps I was not after all wrong in having called this noble, nescient! Nescience or not, Jones surely lacked the guts of a true seeker of wisdom that should have been the hallmark of such scholarship and study.

• the reason for his undermining the divinity of Hindu gods by finding all sorts of correspondences of their origin and function with the Greek and Roman pagan gods; the hidden agenda here was to prove that the Hindu Gods were also extinct like the Greek and Roman gods, so can never be equated with the Christian Gods--the Father or the Son;

• the reason for Jones' iniative on the suggestion of a common ancestor for the languages Sanskrit, Greek and Latin (though he did admit that Sanskrit was used in many parts of the world and subsequently lost its status as a vernacular) and suggest a PIE (in which PIE he let the Eurpoeans keep their fingers and bring all the tongues to be kept waiting for the f(l)avour and taste of the PIE)!

• the reason for Jones dismissing the Hindu cycles of Time in four yugas as "untenable because the first three ages were merely mythological--Krita, Treta, Dwapara--and the fourth was traceable no earlier than probably 2000 B.C." (Sastry, p.87)

• the reason for Jones' fictitious connection of Sandracottus with King Chandra Gupta Maurya (1541-1507) (for details, check http://www.encyclopediaofauthentichi...3_two_more.htm)

• how Jones paved the way for the AIT (Aryan Invasion Theory) that came up later, through his suggestion of PIE that gave birth to the idea of Proto-Indo-European people (Aryans). For Jones' own contribution to the AIT, check Bible and the Aryan Race Theory at http://www.sabha.info/research/aif.html

Tailpeace: Some opinions about Sir William Jones

• "Unwittingly, even the church in England has become a part of this conspiracy. The Chapel of Oxford College took the lead, and presented William Jones wearing a skull-cap on a marble panel, showing Jones to be a missionary, though he had earlier been lauded as a Sanskrit-lover, as the Father of Indo-European Linguistics attesting to the supremacy of Europeans and their burden to civilize many colonies including the Indian colony. Hindus were shown on the marble panel cowering at the feet of William Jones. See photo at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kalyan...&.dnm=e3ad.jpg " (or at http://www.hinduwisdom.info/aryan_invasion_theory.htm)

• "It was Sir William Jones who misrepresented Vedic allegories and conjured up the Aryan race by Immaculate Conception-a seedless parenthood, that is to say, one without any foundation. Yet his colonial brethren embraced the spurious offspring with the fervour of new converts; the rest is history." (http://www.lycos.com/info/aryan-inva...-rig-veda.html)

With this presentation, I would like to end the topic of Jones and his PIE, which is considered as a digression from the purpose of the thread by Sarabhanga (though I differ in that opinion), and request him to proceed with his work.

(Source: 'Sastry' for the book Sir William Jones: Interpreter of India to the West by Prof.LSR.Krishna Sastry)

Post Re: Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?

With this presentation, I would like to end the topic of Jones and his PIE, which is considered as a digression from the purpose of the thread by Sarabhanga (though I differ in that opinion), and request him to proceed with his work.
    Namaste Saidevo,

Despite the admitted digression, I cannot allow the host of unsubstantiated allegation and falsehood to stand uncontested by facts.

I am convinced that Jones had extensive scholarship and am inclined to change my opinion about suggesting his 'idiocy' (by which I actually meant ignorance, 'avidyA').

Yet, for all his great scholarship, I feel and subscribe to the view that Jones had a hidden agenda and subjected all his excellent knowledge to that end and tailored it suitably to aid and abet the conversion and subversion policies of his colleagues--the colonnial ruling class of which he was part and parcel of. You may or may not agree with my opinion here. I leave it to the other members for their own consideration.

Jones, in fact, can surely be called the pioneer of the ideas of PIE (Proto-Indo-European language) and the AIT (Aryan Invasion Theory), though these conspiratorial concepts and designs in those names came up later. Here are some details of Jones' hidden agenda:

Jones was first and foremost an orthodox Christian …
    No doubt he was a Christian by denomination, and an Englishman by nationality, and his initial impressions from 1784 are not perfect in every detail.
    William Jones was simply using the biblical name (“Raamah, son of Cush”) and relating that to the known characteristics of rAma, the inheritor of koshala and most famous “son of kusha” whose own son is named kusha.

And the sons of Cush: Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah. And the sons of Raamah: Sheba, and Dedan. [Genesis 10.7]
    William Jones introduced his essay with the following important declarations:
    The comparison, which I proceed to lay before you needs be very superficial; partly from my short residence in Hindustan, and partly from my want of complete leisure for literary amusements.

We cannot justly conclude, by arguments preceding the proof of facts, that one people must have borrowed their deities, rites, and tenets from another; since Gods of all shapes and dimensions may be framed by the boundless powers of imagination, or by the frauds and follies of men, in countries never connected; but, when features of resemblance, too strong to have been accidental, are observable in different systems, without fancy or prejudice to colour them and improve the likeness, we can scarce help believing, that some connection has immemorially subsisted between the several nations who have adopted them.

It is my design, in this Essay, to point out such resemblance between the popular worship of the old Greeks and Italians and that of the Hindus. Nor can there be room to doubt of a great similarity between their religions and that of Egypt, China, Persia, Phrygia, Phoenicia, Syria; to which, perhaps, we may safely add some of the southern kingdoms, and even islands of America: while the Gothick system, which prevailed in the northern regions of Europe, was not merely similar to those of Greece and Italy, but almost the same in another dress, with an embroidery of images apparently Asiatic.

From all this, if it be satisfactorily proved, we may infer a general union or affinity between the most distinguished inhabitants of the primitive world.

Disquisitions concerning the manners and conduct of our species in early times, or indeed at any time, are always curious at least, and amusing; but they are highly interesting to such as can say of themselves, ‘We are men, and take an interest in all that relates to mankind’.

It is not the truth of our national religion, as such, that I have at heart; it is truth itself.

And if any cool unbiased reasoner will clearly convince me, that Moses drew his narrative through Egyptian conduits from the primeval fountains of Indian literature, I shall esteem him as friend for having weaned my mind from a capital error, and promise to stand among the foremost in assisting to circulate the truth, which he has ascertained.

Having no system of my own to maintain, I shall not pursue a very regular method, but shall take all the Gods, of whom I discourse, as they happen to present themselves; beginning, however, like the Romans and the Hindus, with Janus or Ganesa.
    And the last lines do consider the evangelical Christian urge for conversion and “saving souls”, not in any hidden agenda, but openly published (presumably in response to questions from his colleages, rather than as a declaration of the secret aim of his life’s work).

The Hindus … would readily admit the truth of the Gospel; but they contend, that it is perfectly consistent with their Sastras: the deity, they say, has appeared innumerable times, in many parts of this world and of all worlds, for the salvation of his creatures; and though we adore him in one appearance, and they in others, yet we adore, they say, the same God, to whom several worships, though different in form, are equally acceptable, if they be sincere in substance. We may assure ourselves, that neither Muselmans nor Hindus will ever be converted by any mission from the Church of Rome, or from any other church; and the only human mode, perhaps, of causing so great a revolution will be to translate into Sanskrit and Persian such chapters of the Prophets, particularly Isaiah, as are indisputably Evangelical, together with one of the Gospels, and a plain prefatory discourse containing full evidence of the very distant ages, in which the predictions themselves, and the history of the divine person predicted, were severally made publick; and then quietly to disperse the work among the well-educated natives; with whom if in due time it failed of producing very salutary fruit by its natural influence, we could only lament more than ever the strength of prejudice, and the weakness of unassisted reason.
    His suggestion was to translate the Bible into Sanskrit. But after two centuries such a Sanskrit translation remains unavailable, and I have already suggested why that might be!

What did those who actually knew Sir William Jones have to say about him?

From a Discourse delivered at a Meeting of the Asiatick Society, in Calcutta, on 22nd of May, 1794, by the Honourable Sir John Shore.

I shall begin with mentioning his wonderful capacity for the acquisition of languages, which has never been excelled. In Greek and Roman literature, his early proficiency was the subject of admiration and applause; and knowledge of whatever nature, once obtained by him, was ever afterwards progressive.

At an early period of life his application to Oriental literature commenced; he studied the Hebrew with ease and success, and many of the most learned Asiaticks have the candour to avow, that his knowledge of Arabick and Persian was as accurate and extensive as their own : he was also conversant in the Turkish idiom, and the Chinese had even attracted his notice.

It was to be expected, after his arrival in India, that he would eagerly embrace the opportunity of making himself master of the Sanscrit; and the most enlightened professors of the doctrines of Brahma confess with pride, delight, and surprise, that his knowledge of their sacred dialect was most critically correct and profound. The Pandits, who were in the habit of attending him, when I saw them after his death, at the public Durbar, could neither suppress their tears for his loss, nor find terms to express their admiration at the wonderful progress he had made in their sciences.

But the judgement of Sir William Jones was too discerning to consider language in any other light than as the key to science, and he would have despised the reputation of a mere linguist. Knowledge and truth, were the object of all his studies, and his ambition was to be useful to mankind; with these views, he extended his researches to all languages, nations, and times.

Such were the motives that induced him to propose to the Government of this country, what he justly denominated a work of national utility and importance, the compilation of a copious digest of Hindu and Mahommedan Law, from Sanskrit and Arabick originals, with an offer of his services to superintend the compilation, and with a promise to translate it.

And his experience, after a short residence in India, confirmed his sagacity had anticipated, that without principles to refer to, in a language familiar to the judges of the courts, adjudications among the natives must too often be subject to an uncertain and erroneous exposition, or willful misinterpretation of their laws.

To the superintendence of this work, which was immediately undertaken at his suggestion, he assiduously devoted those hours which he could spare from his professional duties. After tracing the plan of the digest, he prescribed its arrangement and mode of execution, and selected from the most learned Hindus and Mahommedans fit persons for the task of compiling it.

Encouraged by his applause, the Pandits persecuted their labours with cheerful zeal, to a satisfactory conclusion.

During the course of this compilation, and as auxiliary to it, he was led to study the works of Menu, reputed by the Hindus to be the oldest, and holiest of legislatures; and finding them to comprise a system of religious and civil duties, and of law in all its branches, so comprehensive and minutely exact, that it might be considered as the Institutes of Hindu law, he presented a translation of them to the Government of Bengal. During the same period, deeming no labour excessive or superfluous that tended, in any respect, to promote the welfare or happiness of mankind, he gave the public an English version of the Arabick text of the Sirajiyah, or Mahommedan Law of Inheritance, with a Commentary.

To these learned and important works, so far out of the road of amusement, nothing could have engaged his application, but that desire which he ever professed, of rendering his knowledge useful to his nation, and beneficial to the inhabitants of these provinces.

The students of Persian literature must ever be grateful to him, for a grammar of that language, in which he has shown the possibility of combining taste, and elegance, with the precision of a grammarian; and every admirer of Arabick poetry, must acknowledge his obligations to him, for an English version of the seven celebrated poems, so well known by the name of Moallakat, from the distinction to which their excellence had entitled them, of being suspended in the temple of Mecca : I should scarcely think it of importance to mention, that he did not disdain the office of Editor of a Sanskrit and Persian work, if it did not afford me an opportunity of adding, that the latter was published at his own expense and was sold for the benefit of insolvent debtors. A similar application was made of the produce of the Sirajiyah.

Of his lighter productions, the elegant amusements of his leisure hours, comprehending hymns on the Hindu mythology, poems consisting chiefly of translations from the Asiatick languages, and a version of Sacontala, an ancient Indian drama, it would be unbecoming to speak in a style of importance which he did not himself annex to them. They show the activity of a vigorous mind, its fertility, its genius, and its taste.

Of the ability and conscientious integrity, with which he discharged the functions of a Magistrate, and duties of Judge of the Supreme Court of Judicature in his settlement, the public voice and public regret bear ample and merited testimony. The same penetration which marked his scientific researches, distinguished his legal investigations and decisions; and he deemed no inquiries burthensome, which had for their object substantial justice under the rules of law.

His addresses to the jurors are not less distinguished for philanthropy, and liberality of sentiment, than for just expositions of the law, perspicuity, and elegance of diction; and his oratory was as captivating as his arguments were convincing.

I have already enumerated attainments and works, which, from their diversity and extent, seem far beyond the capacity of the most enlarged minds; but the catalogue may yet be augmented. To a proficiency in the languages of Greece, Rome, and Asia, he added the knowledge of the philosophy of those countries, and of every thing curious and valuable that had been taught in them. The doctrines of the Academy, the Lyceum, or the Portico, were not more familiar to him than the tenets of the Vedas, the mysticism of the Sufis, or the religion of the ancient Persians; and whilst with a kindred genius he perused with rapture the heroic, lyrical, or moral compositions of the most renowned poets of Greece, Rome, and Asia, he could turn with equal delight and knowledge, to the sublime speculations, or mathematical calculations, of Barrow and Newton. With them also, he professed his conviction of the truth of the Christian religion.

We all recollect, and can refer to, the following sentiments in his eighth anniversary discourse.
    “Theological inquiries are no part of my present subject; but I cannot refrain from adding, that the collection of tracts, which we call from their excellence the Scriptures, contain, independently of a divine origin, more true sublimity, more exquisite beauty, purer morality, more important history, and finer strains both of poetry and eloquence, than could be collected within the same compass from all other books, that were ever composed in any age, or in any idiom. The two parts, of which the Scriptures consist, are connected by a chain of compositions, which bear no resemblance in form or style to any that can be produced from the stores of Grecian, Indian, Persian, or even Arabian learning; the antiquity of those compositions no man doubts, and the unstrained application of them to events long subsequent to their publication, as a solid ground of belief that they were genuine predictions, and consequently inspired.”
    There were in truth few sciences, in which he had not acquired considerable proficiency; in most, his knowledge was profound. The theory of music was familiar to him; nor had he neglected to make himself acquainted with the interesting discoveries lately made in Chymistry.

His last and favourite pursuit, was the study of Botany, which he originally began under the confinement of a severe and lingering disorder, which with most minds, would have proved a disqualification from any application. It constituted the principle amusement of his leisure hours. In the arrangements of Linnaeus he discovered system, truth, and science, which never failed to captivate and engage his attention.

The last composition which he read in this Society, was a description of select Indian plants.

It cannot be deemed useless or superfluous to inquire, by what arts or method he was enabled to attain a degree of knowledge almost universal, and apparently beyond the powers of man, during a life little exceeding forty-seven years.

The faculties of his mind, by nature vigorous, were improved by constant exercise; and his memory, by habitual practice, had acquired a capacity of retaining whatever had once been impressed upon it. To the unextinguished ardour for universal knowledge, he joined a perseverance in the pursuit of it, which subdued all obstacles; his studies began with the dawn, and during the intermissions of professional duties, were continued throughout the day; reflection and meditation strengthened and confirmed what industry and investigation had accumulated. It was a fixed principle with him, from which he never voluntarily deviated, not to be deterred by any difficulties that were surmountable, from prosecuting to a successful termination, what he had once deliberately undertaken.

But what appears to me more particularly to have enabled him to employ his talents so much to his own and the public advantage, was the regular allotment of his time to particular occupations, and a scrupulous adherence to the distribution which he had fixed; hence, all his studies were pursued without interruption or confusion : nor can I here omit remarking, what may probable have attracted your observation as well as mine, the candour and complacency with which he gave his attention to all persons, of whatsoever quality, talents, or education; he justly concluded, that curious or important information, might be gained even from the illiterate; and whenever it was to be obtained, he sought and seized it.

Of the private and social virtues of our lamented President, our hearts are the best records; to you, who knew him, it cannot be necessary for me to expatiate on the independence of his integrity, his humanity, probity, or benevolence, which every living creature participated; on the affability of his conversation and manners, or his modest unassuming deportment : nor need I remark, that he was totally free from pedantry, as well as from arrogance and self-sufficiency, which sometimes accompany and disgrace the greatest abilities; his presence was the delight of every society, which his conversation exhilarated and improved; and the public have not only to lament the loss of his talents and abilities, but also that of his example.

And consider what Jones himself actually had to say:

From ‘Discourse on the Hindus’ by Sir William Jones’ (1786)

The Sanskrit language, whatever be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek, more copious than the Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either, yet being to both of them a stronger affinity, both in the roots of verbs and in the forms of grammar, than could possibly have been produced by accident; so strong indeed, that no philologer could examine them all three, without believing them to have sprung from some common source, which, perhaps, no longer exists : there is a similar reason, though not quite so forcible, for supposing that both the Gothick and the Celtick, though blended with a very different idiom, had the same origin with the Sanskrit; and the old Persian might be added to the same family.

Of the Indian Religion and Philosophy … it will be sufficient in this dissertation to assume, what might be proved beyond controversy, that we now live among the adorers of those very deities, who were worshipped under different names in old Greece and Italy, and among the professors of those philosophical tenets.

The six philosophical schools, whose principles are explained in the Dersana Sastra, comprise all the metaphysicks of the old Academy, the Stoa, the Lyceum; nor is it possible to read the Vedanta, or the many fine compositions in illustration of it, without believing, that Pythagoras and Plato derived their sublime theories from the same fountain with the sages of India.

We are told by the Grecian writers, that the Indians were the wisest of nations; and in moral wisdom, they were certainly eminent.

The Philosopher, whose works are said to include a system of the universe founded on the principle of Attraction and the Central position of the sun, is named Yavan Acharya, because he had travelled, we are told, into Ionia : if this be true, he might have been one of those, who conversed with Pythagoras; this at least is undeniable, that a book on astronomy in Sanskrit bears the title of Yavana Jatica, which may signify the Ionic Sect; nor is it improbable, that the names of the planets and Zodiacal stars, which the Arabs borrowed from the Greeks, but which we find in the oldest Indian records, were originally devised by the same ingenious and enterprising race, from whom both Greece and India were peopled; the race, who, as Dionysius describes them, “first assayed the deep, and wafted merchandize to coasts unknown, those, who digested first the starry choir, their motions marked, and called them by their names.”

Of these cursory observations on the Hindus, which it would require volumes to expand and illustrate, this is the result : that they had an immemorial affinity with the old Persians, Ethiopians, and Egyptians, the Phenicians, Greeks, and Tuscans, the Scythians or Goths, and Celts, the Chinese, Japanese, and Peruvians; whence, as no reason appears for believing, that they were a colony from any one of those nations, or any of those nations from them, we may fairly conclude that they all proceeded from some central country, to investigate which will be the object of my future Discourses.

From ‘Discourse on the Persians’ (1789)

It has been proved by clear evidence and plain reasoning, that a powerful monarchy was established in Iran long before the Assyrian government; that it was in truth a Hindu monarchy.

The Brahmans could never have migrated from India to Iran, because they are expressly forbidden by their oldest existing laws to leave the region, which they inhabit at this day.

From ‘Discourse on the Origin and Families of Nations’ (1792)

That Nature, of which simplicity appears a distinguishing attribute, does nothing in vain, is a maxim in philosophy; and against those, who deny maxims, we cannot dispute; but is vain and superfluous to do by many means what may be done by fewer, and this is another axiom received into courts of judicature from the schools of philosophers : we must not, therefore, says our great Newton, admit more causes of natural things, than those, which are true, and succinctly account for natural phenomena; but it is true, that one pair at least of every living species must at first have been created; and that one human pair was sufficient for the population of our globe in a period of no considerable length.

If the human race then be, as we may confidently assume, of one natural species, they must have proceeded from one pair.

On that part of it, to which our united researches are generally confined, we see five races of men peculiarly distinguished … but we have reduced them to three, because we can discover no more, that essentially differ in language, religion, manners, and other known characteristicks : now those three races, how variously soever they may at present be dispersed and intermixed, must (if the preceding conclusions be justly drawn) have migrated originally from a central country, to find which is the problem proposed for solution. Suppose it solved; and give any arbitrary name to that centre.

Nor does the argument in any form rise to demonstration, which the question by no means admits : it amounts, however, to such a proof, grounded on written evidences and credible testimony, as all mankind hold sufficient for decisions affecting property, freedom, and life.

The most ancient history of that race, and the oldest composition perhaps in the world, is a work in Hebrew, which we may suppose at first, for the sake of our argument, to have no higher authority than any other work of equal antiquity, that the researches of the curious had accidentally brought to light : it is ascribed to Musah; for so he writes his own name, which, after the Greeks and Romans, we have changed into Moses; and, though it was manifestly his object to give an historical account of a single family, he introduced it with a short view of the primitive world, and his introduction has been divided, perhaps improperly, into eleven chapters.

Three sons of the just and virtuous man, whose lineage was preserved from the general inundation, travelled, we are told, as they began to multiply, in three large divisions variously subdivided : the children of Ya’fet seem, from the traces of Sklavonian names, and the mention of their being enlarged, to have spread themselves far and wide, and to have produced the race, which, for want of a correct appellation, we call Tartarian; the colonies, formed by the sons of Ham and Shem, appear to have been nearly simultaneous; and, among those of the latter branch, we find so may names incontestably preserved at this hour in Arabia, that we cannot hesitate in pronouncing them the same people whom hitherto we have denominated Arabs; while the former branch, the most powerful and adventurous of whom were the progeny of Cush, Misr, and Rama (names remaining unchanged in Sanskrit, and highly revered by the Hindus), were, in all probability, the race, which I call Indian, and to which we may now give any other name, that may seem more proper and comprehensive.

Now these primeval events are described as having happened between the Oxus and the Euphrates, the mountains of Caucasus and the borders of India.

When we find, indeed, the same words, letter for letter, and in a sense precisely the same, in different languages, we can scarce hesitate in allowing them a common origin: and not to depart from the example before us, when we see Cush or Cus (for the Sanskrit name is variously pronounced) among the sons of Brahma, that is, among the progenitors of the Hindus, and at the head of an ancient pedigree preserved in the Ramayan; when we meet with his name again in the family of Rama; when we know, that the name is venerated in the highest degree, and given to a sacred grass, described as a Poa by Koenig, which is used with a thousand ceremonies in the oblations to fire, ordained by Menu to form the sacrificial zone of the Brahmans, and solemnly declared in the Veda to have sprung up soon after the deluge, whence the Pauranicks consider it as the bristly hair of the boar which supported the globe; when we add, that one of the seven dwipas, or great peninsulas of this earth, has the same appellation, we can hardly doubt that the Cush of Moses and Valmic was the same personage and an ancestor of the Indian race.

That the branch of Ya’fet was enlarged in many scattered shoots over the north of Europe and Asia, diffusing themselves as far as the western and eastern seas, and, at length in the infancy of navigation, beyond them both : that they cultivated no liberal arts, and had no use of letters, but formed a variety of dialects, as their tribes were variously ramified; that, secondly, the children of Ham, who founded … the monarchy of the first Chaldeans, invented letters, observed and named the luminaries of the firmament, calculated the known Indian period of four hundred and thirty-two thousand years, or an hundred and twenty repetitions of the saros, and contrived the old system of Mythology … that they were dispersed at various intervals and in various colonies over land and ocean; that the tribes of Misr, Cush, and Rama settled in Africk and India.

From ‘Discourse on the Philosophy of the Asiaticks’ (1794)

I have already had occasion to touch on the Indian metaphysicks of natural bodies according to the most celebrated of the Asiatick schools, from which Pythagoreans are supposed to have borrowed many of their opinions; and, as we learn from Cicero, that the old sages of Europe had an idea of centripetal force and a principle of universal gravitation (which they never attempted to demonstrate), so I can venture to affirm, without meaning to pluck a leaf from the neverfading laurels of our immortal Newton, that the whole of his theology and part of his philosophy may be found in the Vedas and even in the works of the Sufis : that most subtil spirit, which he suspected to pervade natural bodies, and, lying concealed in them, to cause attraction and repulsion, the emission, reflection, and refraction of light, electricity, calefaction, sensation, and muscular motion, is described by the Hindus as a fifth element endued with those very powers; and the Vedas abound with allusions to a force universally attractive, which they chiefly ascribe to the Sun, thence called Aditya, or the Attractor.

From ‘Dissertation on the Orthography of Asiatick Words in Roman Letters’

A perfect language would be that, in which every idea, capable of entering the human mind, might be neatly and emphatically expressed by one specific word, simple if the idea were simple, complex, if complex; and on the same principle a perfect system of letters ought to contain one specific symbol for every sound used in pronouncing the language to which they belonged : in this respect the old Persian or Zend approaches to perfection … and the same may indubitably be said of the Devanagari system; which, as it is more naturally arranged than any other, shall here be the standard of my particular observations on Asiatick letters. Our English alphabet and orthography are disgracefully and almost ridiculously imperfect; and it would be impossible to express either Indian, Persian, or Arabian words in Roman characters, as we are absurdly taught to pronounce them.

Here is a picture of the marble panel in The Chapel of Oxford College that depicts Jones with a missionary skull cap, with brahmins cowering at his feet:
    Have you not read the caption to this panel?
    “HE FORMED A DIGEST OF HINDU AND MOHAMMEDAN LAWS”
    William Jones was appointed as a Supreme Court Judge in Bengal, and he immediately realized that India could not be governed by an imposed judiciary with no understanding of local laws and customs. So he employed Hindu and Muslim scholars to select and explain the relevant texts, the whole body of which, at the time, remained unknown to the British.

Jones was NOT a missionary. What defines his cap as a “missionary cap”? Why do the Brahmins who are reading sacred texts have their own heads covered in the image?

And Brahmins “cowering at his feet” ??? Complete nonsense !! Two of them are engrossed in their own reading, and one has his back turned, apparently deep in thought. No character in this panel is bowing to anything but Wisdom itself!

With these quotes, anyone can have a clear idea about the whole purpose of his extensive work (to which he gave a facade of scholarship but actually worked with vested interests behind the scenes)
    Your quotes and images prove nothing more than a paranoid imagination!

Why he did not find correspondences between Krishna and Jesus Christ (or his God, the Father), as did some of the other western scholars and still continue to do, in their lives and teachings. Had Jones done it, he would have surely lost his job, probably branded as a hertic and possibly subjected to an inquisition!
    More hysterical nonsense! Jones was employed as a Judge, and the Asiatick Society was his own creation. And he did find and mention correspondences between Krishna and Christ !

From ‘On the Gods of Greece, Italy, and India’

Each sect must be justified by its own faith and good intentions : this only I mean to inculcate, that the tenet of our church cannot without profaneness be compared with that of the Hindus, which has only an apparent resemblance to it, but a very different meaning.

One singular fact, however, must not be suffered to pass unnoticed. That the name of Crishna, and the general outline of his story, were long anterior to the birth of our Saviour, and probably to the time of Homer, we know very certainly.

In fact, if anyone had noticed, Jones was careful to omit the 'h' in the natural Anglican spelling of Krishna's name and spell it as Crishna, not Chrisha, (compare the names Christian, Christopher, Christina)--lest he should give the Church any impression of possible heresy in his scholarship!

So much for the scholarship and quest for true knowledge of a knighted, noble man, lauded and eulogized by most western scholars and many Hindu pundits.

Perhaps I was not after all wrong in having called this noble, nescient! Nescience or not, Jones surely lacked the guts of a true seeker of wisdom that should have been the hallmark of such scholarship and study.
    You were absolutely wrong in calling Sir William Jones nescient! And what do you mean by “lacking the guts of a true seeker of wisdom” ???

And Jones himself fully explains the reasoning behind his orthography.

From ‘Dissertation on the Orthography of Asiatick Words in Roman Letters’

We come now to the first consonant of the Indian system, in which a series of letters, formed in the throat near the root of the tongue, properly takes the lead. This letter has the sound of our k and c in the words king and cannibal; but there will be great convenience in expressing it uniformly by the second of those marks, whatever be the vowel following it. The Arabs, and perhaps all nations descended from Sem, have a remarkable letter founded near the palate with a hard pressure, not unlike the cawing of a raven, as in the word Kasim; and for this particular sound the redundance of our own alphabet supplies us with a useful symbol : the common people in Hhejaz and Egypt confound it, indeed with the first letter of Gabr, and the Persians only add to that letter the hard palatine found in the Arabian kaf; but, if we distinguish it invariably by k, we shall find the utility of appropriating our c to the notation of the Indian letter now before us. The third letter of the Roman alphabet was probably articulated like the kappa of the Greeks; and we may fairly suppose, that Cicero and Cithara were pronounced alike at Rome and at Athens.

Nescient is “holding that only material phenomena can be known and knowledge of spiritual matters or ultimate causes is impossible”, or simply “ignorant, uneducated, lacking knowledge or sophistication, unlearned and incapable of understanding complex issues”.

Sir William Jones was certainly not “nescient” (in any sense) ~ but those who mindlessly condemn the whole of his work surely are!

the reason for his undermining the divinity of Hindu gods by finding all sorts of correspondences of their origin and function with the Greek and Roman pagan gods; the hidden agenda here was to prove that the Hindu Gods were also extinct like the Greek and Roman gods, so can never be equated with the Christian Gods--the Father or the Son;
    How does finding correspondences in any way undermine the divinity of Hindu Gods?

And what makes you so sure that the Grecian and Roman deities, and I presume the whole of the Celtic and Gothic pantheon, is extinct? This is the most arrogant presumption of all. Based on nothing but ignorance !!

the reason for Jones' iniative on the suggestion of a common ancestor for the languages Sanskrit, Greek and Latin (though he did admit that Sanskrit was used in many parts of the world and subsequently lost its status as a vernacular) and suggest a PIE (in which PIE he let the Eurpoeans keep their fingers and bring all the tongues to be kept waiting for the f(l)avour and taste of the PIE)!
    The reason has been given above, very plainly from Jones’ own words.

the reason for Jones dismissing the Hindu cycles of Time in four yugas as "untenable because the first three ages were merely mythological--Krita, Treta, Dwapara--and the fourth was traceable no earlier than probably 2000 B.C." (Sastry, p.87)
    Jones did not agree with the vast extent of time suggested by the Hindu understanding of yugas. But that does NOT invalidate everything he said on a myriad of other matters.

the reason for Jones' fictitious connection of Sandracottus with King Chandra Gupta Maurya (1541-1507).
    From ‘Discourse on Asiatick History, civil and natural’ (1793)

The jurisprudence of the Hindus and Arabs being the field, which I have chosen for my peculiar toil, you cannot expect, that I should greatly enlarge your collection of historical knowledge; but I may be able to offer you some occasional tribute, and I cannot help mentioning a discovery, which accident threw in my way.

To fix the situation of Patalibothra (for there may have been several of the name), which was visited and described by Megasthenes had always appeared a very difficult problem; for, though it could not have been Prayaga, where no ancient metropolis ever stood, nor Canyacubja, which has no epithet at all resembling the word used by the Greeks, nor Gaur, otherwise called Lacshmanavati … yet we could not confidently decide that it was Pataliputra, though names and most circumstances nearly correspond, because that renowned capital extended from the confluence of the Sone and the Ganges to the site of Patna, while Patalibothra stood at the junction of the Ganges and Erannaboas, which the accurate M. D’Anville had pronounced to be the Yamuna : but this only difficulty was removed, when I found a classical Sanskrit book, near two thousand years old, that Hiranyabahu, or golden-armed, which the Greeks changed into Erannaboas, or the river with a lovely murmur, was in fact another name for the Sona itself, though Magasthenes, from ignorance or inattention, has named them separately. This discovery led to another of greater moment; for Chandragupta, who, from a military adventurer, became like Sandracottus, the sovereign of upper Hindustan, actually fixed the seat of his empire at Pataliputra, where he received ambassadors from foreign princes, and was no other than that very Sandracottus who concluded a treaty with Seleucus Nicator; so that we have solved another problem, to which we before alluded, and may in round numbers consider the twelve and three hundredth year before Christ …

Megasthenes was a friend of Seluekos Nikator, and his ambassador at the Court of Sandrokottos, king of Palibothra. And Demarchos was ambassador at the same court in the days of the son and successor of Sandrokottos.

According to Arrian:

Megasthenes resided with Siburtios the satrap of Arakhosia, and who tells us that he frequently visited Sandrakottos the king of the Indians.

But even Megasthenes, as far as appears, did not travel over much of India, though no doubt he saw more of it than those who came with Alexander, the son of Philip, for, as he says, he had interviews with Sandrokottos, the greatest king of the Indians.

According to Plutarch:

Androkottos presented Seleukos with 500 elephants, and overran and subdued the whole of India with an army of 600,000 men.

According to Appian:

And having crossed the Indus, he [Seleukos] warred with Androkottos, the king of the Indians, who dwelt about that river, until he entered into an alliance and a marriage affinity with him.

According to Strabo:

Megasthenes, who was in the camp of Sandrokottos, which consisted of 400,000 men, did not witness on any day thefts reported which exceeded the sum of 200 drachmai, and this among a people who have no written laws, who are ignorant even of writing, and regulate everything from memory.

According to Athenaios:

Phylarchos says that among the presents which Sandrokoptos, the king of the Indians, sent to Seleukos were certain powerful aphrodisiacs.

Sandrokottos overthrew the Macedonian rule in the Punjab, and ascended the throne of Magadha, whence he established the Mauryan empire.

The Asiatick Society found reference to Chandragupta as founder of the Mauryan dynasty of Magha, and ascertained the date of his coronation as about 312 BC

Seleukos Nikator, the king of Syria, advanced eastwards to recover the territory previously held. The exact date of the expedition is uncertain, but it is presumed to have occurred around 305 BC.

A treaty was signed, in which Seleukos received 500 elephants and relinquished any claim to Greek conquests beyond the Indus, and also gave up even more territories west of the Indus, along with his own daughter, to Sandrokoptos.

At Pataliputra, the Sisunagas were succeeded by the Nandas in 370 BC, and the Mauryas succeeded them in 315 BC. And the last Nanda king is called Xandrames by the Greeks, and Agrammes by Curtius. While Indian authorities name him as Dhanananda, Nanda, Mahapadma, or Hiranyagupta. And Xandramas is an exact Greek transliteration of the Sanskrit Chandramas.

More baseless comments from Swami Prakashananda:

Two more attempts of Jones to destroy the Divinity of Sanskrit language and to mutilate Bhartiya history.

His second attempt was to mutilate the Divine greatness of Sanskrit language, and his third attempt was to create a fiction…

This was his third attempt to destroy the culture and the history of Bharatvarsh by mutilating the historic dates.

To establish that that Chandragupt belonged to the Maurya dynasty, he mentions about some poem by Somdev which tells about the murder of Nand and his eight sons by Chandragupt in order to usurp the kingdom. In this way Jones created a fictitious connection between Chandragupt Maurya and Sandracottus.

Anyone could see that these people were adamantly prone to fabricating false statements all the time just to demean our culture …

All the things referred to in this speech are absolutely wrong and outrageous.

Somdev was just a story writer of fun and frolics.

He never described Chandragupt Maurya as the usurper of the kingdom.

There was never a written book in India that lasted for 2,000 years.

Now we know that there was no such book that was 2,000 years old. Moreover, Jones never produced or showed that book to anyone, even to his close associates. It was simply his word of mouth to relate the fake story of a 2,000 year old book.

Everyone who has read Megasthenes knows that his writings are most unreliable. But Jones found an excuse to quote the writings of Megasthenes.

Jones, deliberately overlooking these facts and taking an excuse of the unfounded writings of a worldly disdained gossiper, Megasthenes, fabricated the story of matching Chandragupt Maurya with Sandracottus.

In fact, he was doing his job as he was told by his superiors. However, these scheming strategies show the malignancy of their promoters, the people of East India Company.

The non-credibility of the statements of Megasthenes.

Nothing Jones said about Sandrakottus is refuted by Swami Prakashananda, who simply dismisses Jones, Megasthenes, and even Somadeva, as fools with nothing true to offer.

And what did Jones have to say about Somadeva?

The popular tales of the Hindus, in prose and in verse, contain fragments of history; and even in their dramas we may find as many real characters and events, as a future age might find in our own plays … for example, a most beautiful poem by Somadeva, comprising a very long chain of instructive and agreeable stories, begins with the famed revolution at Pataliputra by the murder of King Nanda, with his eight sons, and the usurpation of Chandragupta; and the same revolution is the subject of a tragedy in Sanskrit, entitled the Coronation of Chandra, the abbreviated name of that able and adventurous usurper.

The identity of Chandragupta and Sandrokoptos does NOT depend on anything written by the poet Somadeva (whose work Swami Prakashananda dismisses as “just a story of fun and frolics”).

The important document is actually a Buddhist Chronicle, and examining the Greek accounts of Sandrokoptos and Buddhist accounts of Chandragupta the two are found to agree on all main points.

According to the Buddhist accounts, his father was the ruler of a small valley in the Himalayas, called Maurya because of its many peacocks. He was killed resisting an invasion, and his wife fled to Pataliputra, where she gave birth to a son, who was called Chandragupta.

A Brahmin from Taxila, named Chanakya, was residing in Pataliputra. He was mortally offended by king Dhanananda, and vowed to avenge the insult. Learning that he was of royal descent, Chanakya adopted the young Chandragupta and trained him in the Kshatriya arts. And when grown, he was put in command of body of troops, but their attempted rebellion against Dhanananda was suppressed and Chandragupta fled to the desert, where he collected a new force and returned from the Panjab to invade Magadha, which he captured. The unpopular king Dhanananda was killed, and Chandragupta Maurya ascended the throne.

how Jones paved the way for the AIT (Aryan Invasion Theory) that came up later, through his suggestion of PIE that gave birth to the idea of Proto-Indo-European people (Aryans).
    Jones gave birth to the idea of Aryans ??? What about the Vedas ???

Unwittingly, even the church in England has become a part of this conspiracy. The Chapel of Oxford College took the lead, and presented William Jones wearing a skull-cap on a marble panel, showing Jones to be a missionary, though he had earlier been lauded as a Sanskrit-lover, as the Father of Indo-European Linguistics attesting to the supremacy of Europeans and their burden to civilize many colonies including the Indian colony. Hindus were shown on the marble panel cowering at the feet of William Jones.
    Jones was NOT a missionary. He was a Supreme Court judge!

And if the Church of England didn’t know anything about Jones’ cunning plan to destroy Hinduism and conquer India for Anglican Christianity, he must have kept it very secret!

It was Sir William Jones who misrepresented Vedic allegories and conjured up the Aryan race by Immaculate Conception-a seedless parenthood, that is to say, one without any foundation. Yet his colonial brethren embraced the spurious offspring with the fervour of new converts; the rest is history
    Conjured up the Aryan race? Once again, what about the Vedas ???

Namaste Sarabhanga.

Alright, I give up, because I have no time/energy/inclination to puruse my study of Sir William 'Oriental' James, the most profound oriental scholar and the noblest soul the world has ever seen; moreover, it digresses me far away from whatever little svAdhyAya (study) I am pursuing.

Nevertheless, I am not fully convinced by your repetitive verbiage on Jones' pANDityam (scholarship) that all his excellence transcended his Orthodox Christianhood (Christian hood too), and his explicitly professed mission of conversion and subversion. If I were to remain less enlightened for lack of knowledge about Jones and his excellence, let it be so. If that would increase the avidyA (nescience) in me, I am prepared to suffer that avastha (state).

I have a small suggestion for you, take it or leave it as you deem fit. Below is a selection of some of your comments on this thread (emphasis mine), with my observations against each given within brackets in blue color.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    Post dated 19 Mar 2008
    Your quotes and images prove nothing more than a paranoid imagination!

More hysterical nonsense! Jones was employed as a Judge, and the Asiatick Society was his own creation. And he did find and mention correspondences between Krishna and Christ!

(Jones might be such an important personality in your estimation, but this type of accusatory expletives that border on personal attack are neither expected from a Sannyasi nor required to be spilled against the less enlighted mortals who do not see the truth you see in him or his work.)

Post dated 17 Mar 2008
    Anyone who does not recognize the utmost divinity of agni can hardly be described as Hindu!

(Had you said instead, "Every Hindu should recognize the utmost divinity of agni in all his/her karmic, ritual and spiritual activities", that would have been the words from a guru!)

Post dated 16, 17 Mar 2008
    I can only suggest that anyone who denies the comparison has never witnessed the navarAtra in rural (especially northern) India!

Not at all! In your own eagerness to find fault, you have ignored the stated fact that:

The veritable dasharatham of rAma is the rAmAyaNa, which is "the son of rama".
    And rama is "the imperative of ram", which is "the seed of rakta", which is agni!

(I saw some relations in the above terms you have spelled out, but am now less inclined to ask you to rather spell it out more explicitly in layman's language, lest I should be told in retaliation that all the information is already there and it is plain nescience not to see the connections! I am sure most members here in HDFpuri would agree with me on this.)
    I would only reiterate my earlier request to you.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo
    Post dated 16 Mar 2008
    Kindly proceed now on with your noble work of exposing the Sanatana Dharmic roots of the Christian scriptures and teachings. On that score, we are all ears for you.
    Last edited by saidevo; 19 March 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thread Information