Thread: Options On The Length Of The Week

Options On The Length Of The Week

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

Have you given any thought to the length of the week as being 7 days?
    Is it possible to be longer or shorter? If I was asked to consider the week, I would have picked the number and alignment a bit differently.

Here's just a few notions for discussion and/or pondering.

Today- we have 7 days - the roots (IMHO)
    If we look, the week is composed/indicated by the 7 grahas (~planets). These 7 are sthira karaka ( some write kAraka).

sthira (स्थिर) is fixed , immovable , motionless , still , calm .
    kAraka ( कारक) is instrumental in bringing about the action; making , doing , acting , who or what does or produces or creates. WE consider kAraka in Jyotish as the significator ( unusual word, but it works) - one that causes events to happen.

So the week is made of of 7 sthira kAraka or the 7 graha of Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn. Note that all have physical bodies in the heavens.

In Jyotish all sthira is presided over/owned by Siva ( or Rudra); one can only have destruction if there is a body, some physical construct that will die/decay. And we know that this is one of the duties of the Rudras¹.

Siva also resides-lords over all fixed (sthira) rasi signs in the zodiac.

So , on this good earth there is birth and death and the 7 graha that 'manage' the physical composition, and lorded by Siva-Rudra, so it makes sense that the 7 sthira kAraka are the indicators of the week.

Yet what if we took a different approach?

Chara kAraka
    Chara kArakas are variable in nature. There are 8 of them. So it's the 7 graha mentioned above as sthira + 1 more, and that is Rahu.
    Now the Chara kAraka are presided over by Visnu (viSNu) as His activities are for the sustenance and maintenance of this good earth ( and universe). When the chara kArakas are viewed in this manner then one is looking at ones achievements in life, progress, etc. When we look to a birth chart or one janma kundali, all variable signs ( rasi) are owned by viSNu. Some call these variable signs dual signs.
    So then the week work be Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Rah.- or an 8 day week.

Is there another way?

Naisargika kAraka
    Naisargika means natural. So the 'natural' kAraka are all 9 graha... the 7 from sthira + Rahu and Ketu. All 9 graha show everything that exist in creation, and Brahma , the Creator then must own or preside over these 9 graha, and over all movable signs in a birth chart. These 9 graha are not only metering out human activities but all of creation.

This then suggests we have a 9 day week. Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Rahu, Ketu.

So If I Got To Vote
    I would vote for a 9 day week, as it covers all things in creation, all things seen-and-unseen created by BrahmA. The other reason I like this model is how 9's nicely fit into the Nakshatra scheme of things.
    • There are 27 nakshatras, and are grouped into 9's, that make up 120º.
    • This 120º is also made up of 4 rasi or signs ( 4 signs X 30º = 120&#186.
    • These 4 signs also make up the 4 purusArtha² - dharma, artha, kama, moksha.
    • These 4 goals/activities are also found within each nakshatra at the pada or foot level. Each nakshatra is made up of 4 pada ( pada means a step , pace , stride) and each is designated as dharma, artha, kama, moksha.
    • These 4 noble activities are repeated 3 times in the janma kundali or birth chart ( 4 purusArtha X 3 cycles = 12 signs or rasi ).
    • These 3 cycles made of 4 signs is then 3 cycles X 120º = 360º or a complete life, a complete circle.
    IMHO the 9 day week converts nicely to the chart of 27 nakshsatras which harmonizes the Sun owning the rasi signs, the moon owning the nakshatras, and a 9 day week that fits into the scheme with no force fitting.

Is there anything else I would change..yep. I wold re-arrange the days and group them by their associations with each other, but that is another idea for a new post.

... all other ideas are welcomed.

pranams

1. Ekadasa Rudra or 11 Rudra are found in the Sathapatha Brahmana.
    Ten of these are Rudra are responsible for holding prana within the body, that sustain life. The 11th Rudra is Maheswara and is responsible for the Atmam. Jaimini offers considerable details on calculating these eleven Rudra. ॐनमःिशवाय

2. There are many HDF Posts on this subject. I will return to this footnote and add a few links to this subject matter.
    Last edited by yajvan; 01 April 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information