Thread: Chāndogya Upaniṣad

Chāndogya Upaniṣad

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

One of my favorite upanishads is Chandogya (ChAndogya Upanishad or Chāndogya Upaniṣad). There is a much wisdom offered from this book. I thought I would take the time to look at the word itself and see if it has meaning... if any wish to extend the knowledge or the conversation, its warmly welcomed.

Chāndogya Upaniṣad is part of the sāma veda. This Sāma Ved as we know are hymns of the Rigveda ( some like to write ṛgveda) put to chandas, or sung.

The one who sings the sāma veda is known as chandoga छन्दोग or singer in metre. Also a udgatr¹ (udgAtR उद्गातृ) is the ritvik (or priest) that sings the sāman chants. This is rooted in the word gA or गा a song or singing. This metre (meter) is known as chandas.

Chandas छन्दस् is also known as a sacred hymn, and some say a synonym for the vedas, sacred hymms. Yet if we click down one more level we see this root word chad छद् which means to cover, to hide , conceal , keep secret, also to protect; also to gratify and to nourish. Reading some works from Swami Muni Narayana Prasad, he suggests this chad is chadi āhlāsane, to make one delighted.

So this Chandas, this meter, a sacred hymn is covered or kept secret, can also gratify and nourish and bring delight.

But what then is hidden away & also brings delight? It is the wisdom of the Absolute, of akaṣra from the root of a or 'not' ( it reverses the action implied) + ksi (kSi क्षि) to destroy or perish; So this akaṣra is that which does not perish or that which can not be destroyed. And what is that ? Brahman.

So , as we get to this point we know that the Chāndogya Upaniṣad deals with Brahman, wisdom that is covered (chad) yet brings delight or chadi āhlāsane, makes one delighted.

If one is interested in this covering up , this concealing, the Chāndogya Upaniṣad Chapt 1.4.0 offers where the devata are concealed within the mantras of the sacred hymns.

The good news is Chāndogya also infers that which can be understood, appreciated, or beneficial through chandas alone. Through its meter, through listening. So, with the trained chandoga , the udgatr, singer of sāman, the listener benefits.

pranams

1. udgatr (udgAtR उद्गातृ) -one of the four chief-priests ; the one who chants hymns sāman
    What desire may I win for you by singing? for he alone is capable of winning desires by singing, who knowing it, sings sāman - Chāndogya Upaniṣad Chapt 1.79
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 April 2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Chāndogya Upaniṣad: Chapt 2.1.1

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste

When I mention Chāndogya Upaniṣad as my favorite, it's because the best teachers and instruction I have been fortunate to receive always talked of the fullness, the wholeness of Reality, of Brahman.

Hence when I look to the Chāndogya Upaniṣad I see this fullness offered in its wisdom. Let me offer one sloka & the crux of what I believe the knowledge is.

In Chapter 2 ( some prefer to call a chapter¹ kanda or canto) of the Upaniṣad, it deals with upasana (upAsana). We know this upAsana as homage , adoration , worship. The upAsana offered in this Upaniṣad is the most beautiful notion of samasta¹.

This samasta in a word is wholeness, that which pervades the whole.
    In section 2.1.1 the rishi informs us that upAsana of the samasta of sAman (sāman) is sAdhu. Here is the sloka:

Aum ( Om औम् some like ॐ ) |
    samastasya khalu sāmna upāsanam sādhu, yat khalu
    sādhu tat sāmety ācakṣate, yad sādhu tad asāmeti ||

Or Adoration/worship of the whole sAman is sadhu; this is the core of the sloka. The key for me to understand this chapter and verse is the word sadhu.

When one thinks today of sadhu, we think of the spiritual aspirant, the yogi, the ascetic, and these notions are true when we use this word associated with people ( or as a noun). Yet if we look at sAdhu साधु it means straight , right.
    Hence when the Upanishad says upAsana of the samasta is sAdhu - it is offering us that the adoration of the whole is right, is straight. And when we look a bit more with this sAdh साध् it's being straight to an object or end; to go straight to any goal or aim , attain an object , to be successful , succeed , prosper.

That is, with this adoration of the whole ( samasta ) it leads one to the goal, to the intended result.

But what of this sAman? This sameness (sama) is more then equality, more then the equality of entities. It is the consideration of the equality of the individual with that of Reality; of individual things being exponents of Reality - which is core to the Chāndogya Upaniṣad.
    • Hence it is proper (sAdhu) to adore (upAsana), the wholeness (samasta) of sAman (of Reality) -or-
    • The adoration (upAsana) of sAman ( of Reality) as wholeness (samasta, including all parts) is proper (sAdhu).
    It is also proper (sAdhu) to start this sloka ( as with all) with AUM. As this one syllable is the praava of Bhuma, of fullness itself, of samasta.

A few words defined
    • kANDa काण्ड - any part or portion , section , chapter , division of a work or book; single joint of the stalk or stem of a plant , such as a bamboo or reed or cane (i.e. the portion from one knot to another); a cluster , bundle
    • kanda कन्द is a bulbous root;a lump , swelling , knot; So one can see its notion related to a chapter in a book - the collection or swelling of a group of sentences/ideas collected together.
    • Samasta समस्त combined , united , whole , all; inherent in or pervading the whole of anything
    • sama सम same , equal , similar , like , equivalent , like to or identical or homogeneous;always the same , constant , unchanged
    • sAman सामन् - a metrical hymn or song of praise ; acquisition , possession , property , wealth , abundance
    pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information