Thread: Who are the 3 brothers of Sri Ram?

Who are the 3 brothers of Sri Ram?

Om Shanti,
    I have wondered for some time who are the 3 brothers of Sri Ram? Are they 3 other incarnations of Vishnu or are they just other souls? Is it also possible that these 3 brothers are divine principals used by Vishnu to teach the world? If so what do these 3 brothers represent? If no, then what was the need for 3 brothers and 3 mothers?

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Re: Who are the 3 brothers of Sri Ram?

the brothers were

Lakshman
    Bharatha
    Shathugna

From Ramayana Retold by C.Rajagopalachari

In course of time, Dasaratha's sons were born Rama of Kausalya and Bharata of Kaikeyi. Sumitra gave birth to twins, Lakshmana and Satrughna. She had drunk the divine payasam twice.

In proportion to the quantity of payasam drunk by the respective mothers, the sons are traditionally considered to be parts of Vishnu. Rama was thus half- Vishnu.

But such calculations have no meaning, as it is impossible to measure the Infinite arithmetically. Sruit tells us that even a fraction of the Supreme Being is whole and complete by itself.

"Om Poornamadah Poornamidam
    Poornat Poornamudachyate Poornasya
    Poornamadaya Poornamevavasishyate."

"What is whole, this is whole; what has come out of the whole is also whole. When the whole is taken out of the whole, the whole still remains whole."

I am not too sure about Bharata and Shatrughana. But, I remember this for sure that Lakshman is the avatar of Shesh Naga the divine vehicle of Vishnu. There is a story behind it on how shesh naga got into a obligation to spend time in earth as a mortal for some time.
    There is something similar about Bharat and Shatrughan. My grandfather used to read these stories to me and it will come to me one of these days, hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Omshanti View Post
    I am not too sure about Bharata and Shatrughana. But, I remember this for sure that Lakshman is the avatar of Shesh Naga the divine vehicle of Vishnu. There is a story behind it on how shesh naga got into a obligation to spend time in earth as a mortal for some time.
    There is something similar about Bharat and Shatrughan. My grandfather used to read these stories to me and it will come to me one of these days, hopefully
    Pranam Omshanti,
    Please remember the stories for I am eager to hear them.

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Saidevo mentions
    But such calculations have no meaning, as it is impossible to measure the Infinite arithmetically

If we take the infinite and cut it in half , what is left? Infinite. Lets take a knife - a big sword and lets cut space (ākāśa); take as many swings as you like. What is left? Wholeness, samasta , sāma, sameness remains.

pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information