Thread: Several primary Vaishnava deities are originally Shaiva and Buddhist

Light Several primary Vaishnava deities are originally Shaiva and Buddhist

This is true in regards of Sri Jagannatha of Puri and Sri Venkateshvara of Tirumala.
    Regarding Buddhist origin of Balaji see here: http://www.ambedkar.org/Tirupati/
    Another view is that Balaji was originally a murti of Virabhadra and was turned into Vishnu by Ramanuja in 12th century.
    Last edited by Arjuna; 18 May 2006 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna
    This is true in regards of Sri Jagannatha of Puri and Sri Venkateshvara of Tirumala.
    Another view is that Balaji was originally a murti of Virabhadra and was turned into Vishnu by Ramanuja in 12th century.
    namaste,
    I have to wonder about your intentions on posting this here. What's the purpose of this post? What are you trying to accomplish?

Anything that comes from Dalit-E-Forums or something like that I would not spend my time reading. There is a lot of junk the so called 'dalits' are spreading about hinduism on the net.

I will wait for some other vaishnavas to reply and refute if they want, if not, I think this post is breaking the site rule 2 "No Trolling" and I will be deleting it shortly.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    namaste,
    I have to wonder about your intentions on posting this here. What's the purpose of this post? What are you trying to accomplish?

Anything that comes from Dalit-E-Forums or something like that I would not spend my time reading. There is a lot of junk the so called 'dalits' are spreading about hinduism on the net.

I will wait for some other vaishnavas to reply and refute if they want, if not, I think this post is breaking the site rule 2 "No Trolling" and I will be deleting it shortly.
    Namaste Satay,

I have no intention of "trolling" and U may delete this post if U'd like.

Regarding Jagannatha as Bhairava and Venkateshvara as Virabhadra that is a scholarly opinion, which is supported by orissan texts of the cult of Jagannatha in the first case and by some Shaiva authors in the second.

But this opinion from Dalit may be wrong, i haven't read it yet even. Just found it occasionly via Google and thought in may be interesting. I do not ascribe to this view.

Hi Satay

This does not requires any comments as such. Common anti - Vaishnav sentiment is running in OP

This requires deep exploration in terms of Vaikanasa Agama for which, I think OP is ready

As the link is the entire book, if OP can list major points, I will answer it. I concur with you, I cannot waste time in reading Dalit - e - Forum and similar stuff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by satay
    namaste,

Namaste Satay,

I have no intention of "trolling" and U may delete this post if U'd like.

Regarding Jagannatha as Bhairava and Venkateshvara as Virabhadra that is a scholarly opinion, which is supported by orissan texts of the cult of Jagannatha in the first case and by some Shaiva authors in the second.

But this opinion from Dalit may be wrong, i haven't read it yet even. Just found it occasionly via Google and thought in may be interesting. I do not ascribe to this view.
    I have highlighted the question raised by Satayji, and you post is not answering any of this

And you beleive in a Hindu hate site? This is a ridiculous claim.

Reference to Tirupathi as Vishnu has its proof in the hymns of Tamil saints, which are much older than Ramanuja. I am sure that somebody here can quote from these hymns to substantiate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalasayanan
    Originally Posted by satay

namaste,
    I have to wonder about your intentions on posting this here. [B]What's the purpose of this post? What are you trying to accomplish?

I have highlighted the question raised by Satayji, and you post is not answering any of this
    Namaste,

This paper seems to be a serious scholarly study of the matter (though this doesn't mean its claims are necessarily true). I do not know who are "Dalits," and the reason to post a link to this material was a historical interest.

My mistake was to post it not in history section. Hope Satay can move it there.

As I had thought, this thread will end in flaming each other. There is no need of that...
    so thread closed...

ps: as you know, I am the first one to make noise if vaishnavas try to become like adharmic missionaries and shove vishnu down other people's throats...that doesn't mean that we allow anti-vaishnava posts on this forum.
    satay

Moderator Note:

The content of the post does not appear to be a problem. The problem with the post is that it is in the wrong forum and not just in the wrong forum but in a forum that is likely to cause a flame. Because the post involves discussing more than one tradition or comparing/contrasting, it should have been posted in the "other" area of the "God in Hindu Dharma" category. ~BYS~

Do you have any questions or comments about moderation policy? If so, please send a private message to Bhakti Yoga Seeker or contact one of the other administrators of this website.

Thread Information