Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aryan Invasion Theory

Re: Aryan Invasion Theory

The survey that he is talking about is I think on this link.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/I...ow/4722478.cms
    Its not really a survey, and the title is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Regardless of where you are in India, in a village, in a slum, in Delhi or in a small town...my point is that it is nonsense to believe that anyone can and is surviving on 12 or 20 rupees a day in India. And to believe that 50% of population is living like that is nonsense.
    Well now I get it. But even I don't know how. Maybe I blindly trusted the survey. But it appeared in a reputed National Daily. How was I supposed to take it anyway?

Well, since you do live in India, why don't you talk to any Indian and find out the real situation instead of blindly accepting a survey?
    What is the governemt there for if I myself have to go from village to village just to take survey?

I am not denying that there is population living in poverty. But to say that 50% of population is living on 20 ruppees a day anywhere in the country is absurd when the largest segment of Indian population is middle class.
    Actually it is not. Not that I have heard of anyways. Besides there a big difference between the official Indian poverty line and the one set by UN.

I don't know what the problem is with people who are always harping about the shortcomings of the country instead of focusing on the positives.
    I am not taking this as a negative thing. That is upto one's own perspective. For me this jut draws a line that this much work has been done and this much needs to be done, so roll up your sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by dhruva023 View Post
    The survey that he is talking about is I think on this link.
    I am a girl. And yes this the one.

Quote Originally Posted by eriko View Post
    I am a girl. And yes this the one.
    Sorry, I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by dhruva023 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know that.
    Well now you know. Hee Hee.

Light Re: Aryan Invasion Theory

Namaste

" Regardless of where you are in India, in a village, in a slum, in Delhi or in a small town...my point is that it is nonsense to believe that anyone can and is surviving on 12 or 20 rupees a day in India. And to believe that 50% of population is living like that is nonsense. " ; Posted by Satay

" Well now you know. Hee Hee. " ; Posted by eriko

" Gaudapada sets out from the standpoint of the Absolute or the One-without-a-second and comes to the following conclusion: «The supreme truth is this: there is no birth and no dissolution, no aspirant to liberation and no liberated, and no one who is in slavery. "; in Ashram Vidya Order web site

In Eastern Mind wise words

" I think there is the danger of generalising someone's posts as all nonsense when you look closely, some make sense whilst others remain as nonsense.

Aum Namasivaya "

comeon guys read the article properly and surely title is misleading but it says 50% be given below povertyline card infact 28.3% qualifies for that in newdelhi only.

but you must know about india depending about what i have read the estimate i am giving cant be precise but will give you a hint of india's progress

india - one of the richest country in the world before british invaded
    after independence 1947-only2% of wealth that india had remain with more than 70-80% below poverty line
    1970-60 approx 60%
    1980 approx 50%
    1990 appox40%
    2004 appox 27.5%
    i think current survey would definately show around 25% or even less

wait for 2 more decade our dream will become true.

Namaste all:

Re: the poverty line ... This whole debate is because of a government constructed 'line' that really doesn't exist. It sort of exists, but the government can move it up and down at will. So if you want to show improvement in your country's poverty statistics, just lower the poverty line. Governments all around are notorious for playing with such statistics that are truly meaningless. It reminds me of the days I taught after a teacher who was fond of giving out high marks to students, regardless of the quality of work. So having gotten straight As the previous year whilst learning nothing, the student would be getting Cs in my class, but learning something at least. Try explaining that one to a parent who doesn't get what learning actually is.

So to surtibadshah and your chart: My suggestion would be for the government to today move the 'poverty line' to one rupee per year. Then the goal of 0% below the poverty line will be immediate, and not take 20 years.

I think statistics like life expectancy, child mortality rates, suicide rates, etc., monitored by neutral international agencies are far better indicators of the wealth of a society. Besides all that, what is 'wealth' anyway?

Aum namasivaya

eastern mind i completely agree with you its logical. but independent survey from world bank or other institute show the same trend but bit higher poverty becuase intenational standard is higher.

but i personally think indian standard for measuring is more valid for india because its very cheap relative to western nation.

just imagine i was paid stipend of approx 2.2US$/day as a internist doctor i could live quite comfortably.haha but dont think man that practising doctors in india earn this much only.

Talking Re: Aryan Invasion Theory

Quote Originally Posted by surtibadshah View Post
    but i personally think indian standard for measuring is more valid for india because its very cheap relative to western nation.

just imagine i was paid stipend of approx 2.2US$/day as a internist doctor i could live quite comfortably.haha but dont think man that practising doctors in india earn this much only.
    Doctor living below poverty line

I agree that India is slowly getting 'richer' economically compared to the rest of the world. I wasn't trying to dispute that, just pointing out how propaganda can use statistics. These things have a tendency of shifting around. But this is not an economic forum. My question will be whether or not India can keep its religiousness despite this. That is of course what I meant by wealth. I recall (probably told this story on here before .. if so, my apologies... forgive me, I'm an old man..) the time I wrote a story on a Hindu palmist, and he gave me a free reading. he told me I was the first to ask, as a first question, how my spiritual life would be. He said everyone else always asked about their future economic situation.

Which would you rather be, a self-realised sadhu, or the planet's richest man?

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information