Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Role of balance between “spiritual” and “material” life.

Re: Role of balance between “spiritual” and “material” life.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar MahaHrada,
    --Yet, I don't understand how one can forced to have a child.

The story makes gautama buddha look like a docile child himself who was forced into doing things (even producing a child) against his will.
    You exhibit sparkling clarity. Yet, I think children are truly made against will, with reasoning benumbed and on fire and more often in the darkness.

But can't say that this was the case with Gautama.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by nirotu View Post
    Dear Saidevo/Atanu/ MahaHrada/Arjuna:
    -
    Let me summarize in simple terms: If I were to walk off from my family responsibilities and suddenly become enlightened, should my act be considered as overcoming “temptations of life” or shying away from my “moral responsibilities of life”? Would you consider either one as Dharmic?

Blessings,
    Namaste Nirotu,

What do you actually mean? Can you please read your question and break it into a few parts? Is the 'and' in the sentence 'If I were to walk off from my family responsibilities and suddenly become enlightened', like 'AND' of software language? Both the conditions need to be true?

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

namaskar MahaHrada,

And (belated) welcome to HDF!

Yes, I am somewhat familiar with this story. I can understand that one can be 'forced' into a marriage. Yet, I don't understand how one can forced to have a child.

The story makes gautama buddha look like a docile child himself who was forced into doing things (even producing a child) against his will.

Yes.

However, this doesn't address the question posted in original post of this thread.

Namaste Satay,

thanks for your welcome.

Yes i think that seems to have been the case, gautama must have been married when he was a a docile tender child, and born in the wrong place, a brahmin in heart, but surrounded by tough warriors and on top of that the son of the king, This King of course had karmis employed versed in mantra shastra, as all kings have, that i guess have used their knowledge on the young gautama to divert him from his objective and lure him into the path envisioned by his father by their prayogas.

Each sage has his own mundane history and karma (understood as actions) Siddhartha is no exception , and his reaction was imbalanced according to his experience. Later we can see that how his unbalanced approach and concentration on monastic life and anatma and sunyavada, in part brought about by his unique life history, has been the cause of misery and eventually also brought decline to his reformation.

One can clearly see that the general approach within bharat dharma in the astika philosophy, towards discouraging sannyas in early age, compared to its promotion in Buddhism and Christainity, is a wise one and discouragement is not because of double standards.

To know whether it adresses the question of Nirotu i have first of all to understand what has not been answered already which i don´t, even if i try hard.

Mahahrada
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 03 May 2008 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    Namaste Nirotu,

I am sorry if i could not express my ideas more clearly if you read atanus posting, right after mine and understand his point, it is the same what i wanted to say.

Please understand that preaching or teaching is only meant for people who look for advice, if those who will go for the path of renunciation as a rule never ask for advice preaching is not necessary, on the contrary , it is an idiocy, consequently because sages are not idiots they do not preach or advice, about sannyas.

Answer to your other question if a normal man would be a coward if he becme a renunciate.

No he wouldn´t be a coward, but since being, like you said, a normal man he would most probably end up very unhappy, since it is not a path for many people but few, And most importantly these few would have no doubts and never ask themselves questions like these.

So the answer to exactly that Question of yours is containend in my posting i belive maybe read again.

Living the live of renunciation is not a teaching that can be preached, it is a life that is lived.

Those that are meant to live it, will do that regardles of opposition or preachings.

It is nothing that can be preached because it does not, and is not meant to change anything for better.

Sages teach that which will help others why should they recommend things like renunciation that will cause suffering if followed without the required qualification?

Renunciation is a path that should not be advertised, if someone is easily persuaded togive up the idea of renunciation he is definetly not meant for that path, consequently preaching a balanced life, besides being very helpful for the average person, will also serve as a test of sincerity of purpose of the aspiring sadhu or sannyasin.

But as i wrote before i think it is exceedingly unlikely that someone meant for that path will plan it, consciously want it, or ask for advice.

Sages know that simple fact also. So the answer is also very simple, since sages know that true sannyasins or sadhus will never ask but that their renunciation will happen naturally, by an inner urge, they don´t need to persuade others.

Mahahradanath
    Thanks mahahrada for the above post with a balanced reply.

Though much has been already said, I'll add my 2cents :-

1. Renunciation is a state of mind or mental development.
    2. This state of mind is indispensible for any astika whose primary motivation of life is moksha. There can be no special consideration in this regard for a grihi or a fakir.

So we better not question the unquestionable place for renunciation in the framework of sanatana dharma.

Since tyaga is not the external display of orange robes or living in big bachelor gangs, the question of sannyasa ashrama is I feel quite independent. Dharma prescribes it after duty of the previous ashrams are over, unless in special circumstances, when it can be taken forgoing grihastarama. Additionally I don't think such a sannyasa is worklessness but working for a bigger cause. Turiyashrama should not be critisized at any rate nor advertized. It is indeed the highest ashrama and hence only for a few at a given time point.

Gita and the upanisads ask us to work relentlessly and live for 100 years. Yet be unattached in work. How is this un-attachement possible without renunciation and with a heavy bias towards the ashram we live in ??
    Last edited by sm78; 04 May 2008 at 05:21 AM.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Do you think Sages were able to accelerate the process of “self-realization” by-passing these necessary steps as indicated in Vedas? In doing so, do you think they prove Vedas wrong?

---
    Quandary still exists in my mind!

Blessings,
    Namaste Nirotu,

Consider the following from Gita after you have enjoyed your weekend:

Traigunyavishayaa vedaa nistraigunyo bhavaarjuna;
    Nirdwandwo nityasatwastho niryogakshema aatmavaan.

2.45. The Vedas deal with the three attributes (of Nature); be thou above these three attributes, O Arjuna! Free yourself from the pairs of opposites and ever remain in the quality of Sattwa (goodness), freed from the thought of acquisition and preservation, and be established in the Self.

Yaavaanartha udapaane sarvatah samplutodake;
    Taavaan sarveshu vedeshu braahmanasya vijaanatah.

2.46. To the Brahmana who has known the Self, all the Vedas are of as much use as is a reservoir of water in a place where there is a flood.

-----------------

The Self is pure knowledge -- the real Veda. The written and spoken words are secondary. A sage knows the Self itself as the timeless Veda.

Is not your question framed with the idea that a Jnani (sage) is an individual and not Veda (pure knowledge)? Take as example Jesus saying "Me and my father in heaven are same".

How do you compare choices and apparent actions of pure unlimited knowledge (jnana) that a sage is with choices/actions of an particularized individualised consciousness?

I have used the word apparent in the above sentence since a sage is Atman which is actionless.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 04 May 2008 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay
    Why don't you (or I) 'walk off from our families'? What's stoping us?
    Dear Satay:

Thank you. The answer to this question can be found in Atanu’s response.
    Quote Originally Posted by atanu
    We cannot walk off our families because we are sane. When God decides to make anyone of us insane all hassles would disappear. It would not even cause problem if the worldly people called us insane.
    However, the OP relates to a quite different aspect. If I were to abandon my family for the sake of my own enlightenment, how would you or others react to my action? Do you still consider me someone who has responded to a higher calling or merely neglecting what is already given to me by God?

Atanu has a valid point that if God calls then He will look after all your worldly affairs left behind! But, you and I are well rooted in our secular lives and probably find it difficult to accept someone leaving a family regardless of what the quest is. In the case of Sages, such a question does not arise since they never allowed atman to be so muddled with the world. The mind is set nearly free from the beginning. They believed that if mind is enlightened, the truth will be spontaneously perceived. True revelation is a possibility through such a nurtured mind when the baggage or burden that secular lives bring is minimized just like a possibility of blossom of a beautiful flower when there are no imposing or obstructing thorns.

Great many Saints and Sages lived such an ascetic life relinquishing all material pleasures of secular life. It could very well have been as a result of a higher “calling” as suggested beautifully by Atanu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atanu
    When the calling comes, the rational reasoning loses all value. One does not seek opinion. And a man following such calling has not sinned. The family is supported by God and the renunciate is supported by God (actually Self is supportless and requires none). A thought "I am supporting a family", is at best a benevolent thought but is an ignorant thought.
    That required a rigorous discipline and restraint of mind. Yet, great many Sages through their writings seem to always project an image of balance – a moderation in everything including in secular life. It appears that the “empathy” in their writings is as if they have “been there and done that”. Many here may not agree with me but I find it rather odd (for myself) to see that duality. It is merely my general observation and not intended to look down on any one individual and therefore I see no need to discuss this any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu
    What do you actually mean? Can you please read your question and break it into a few parts? Is the 'and' in the sentence 'If I were to walk off from my family responsibilities and suddenly become enlightened', like 'AND' of software language? Both the conditions need to be true?
    There are many reasons why a person leaves his family. Many are for dumb reasons and many are legitimate reasons. The reason for qualifying my statement with “and enlightenment” is to indicate the path taken by Sages like Buddha. Without adding that, one could have all the legitimate reasons to blame the person for neglecting the family!

Blessings,

Namaste,

If one is balanced, it would seem to me that "spiritual" and "material" bear no meaning in a differential mode.

ZN/just saying

To paraphrase ... everything is a prayer, a participation in the wonder of ONE
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    Namaste,

If one is balanced, it would seem to me that "spiritual" and "material" bear no meaning in a differential mode.

ZN/just saying

To paraphrase ... everything is a prayer, a participation in the wonder of ONE
    Namaste ZN,

Simple and sweet.

Let me add a few points that may have bearing on this subject and may be beneficial in general. Gurus do not encourage renunciation to unripe devotees to protect them from misery.

Balance is like free flow of oil. Everyone wants happiness and peace without exception. Most seek it in money, power, or fame. Till there is a notion of "I am a doer", this seeking will not end and whether one renunciates or whether one is in Grihastha one will be in misery.

A very simple way to get over the notion of doership is to remember Death and also to remember why a dead body cannot say "I want to live". To paraphrase, this amounts to remembering always that this body-mind has no instrument of its own which is intelligent or which is life.

Till this simple knowledge dawns, a forced renunciation is likely to add to ego (false knowledge of what is "I") and untold misery. OTOH, when this simple knowledge is established how does it matter whether one is sannyasi or a grihasthi? Then yahva (this) is that and not the body-mind.

Yaavaanartha udapaane sarvatah samplutodake;
    Taavaan sarveshu vedeshu braahmanasya vijaanatah.

2.46. To the Brahmana who has known the Self, all the Vedas are of as much use as is a reservoir of water in a place where there is a flood.

To paraphrase: If one is balanced, "spiritual" and "material" bear no meaning in a differential mode.

Vak devi surely works through you.
    Regards

Namaste nirotu,

Dear Satay:

Thank you. The answer to this question can be found in Atanu’s response. However, the OP relates to a quite different aspect.
    Yes.

If I were to abandon my family for the sake of my own enlightenment, how would you or others react to my action? Do you still consider me someone who has responded to a higher calling or merely neglecting what is already given to me by God?
    Blessings,
    I would ask 'how would you (or I) react to the consdierations of others after ?'

The point is this, if it still 'bothers' us of what others say or how others judge us then I don't think that the time was right and the renoucing of family was not the 'calling of God' or 'ripening of karma' as my buddhist friend would say.

I thought the second part of your OP was, why once sages renounce their family they continue with the message to the regular folk of 'keep with your duties to the family'. This I think is because the sages realize that when the timing is right and the karma has ripen there would be nothing stopping the individual and it will happen automatically so to speak.

So in simple terms, if one is still 'wondering' or 'thinking' about renouncing and 'of what others will say', then one is not ready yet.

So for example, in Gautama's case, though as a common folk, I judge in my mind the actions of Gautama and wonder about him leaving his young wife and infant child, and think that I would have never done that to my wife and child, to the buddha himself this judging of mine would have had no effect because for him the timing was right, calling was there and the karma had ripen. Or at least this is how I justify his actions in my mind.
    satay

if one is still 'wondering' or 'thinking' about renouncing and 'of what others will say', then one is not ready yet.
    ===> & hence the advice to stay in Grihasthaashram !

Exactly ! This one sentence sums up all !!
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information