Thread: View of God

Hybrid View

View of God

I reside in Chicago, USA. Over time I kept hearing the words "Fear of God", which never made sense to me since as a Hindu growing up in India, I never heard any of my elders echoing similar thoughts. I also hear words like King, Master, Sin, Punishment etc.

Slowly it has dawned on me that maybe we view God differently, we view God as a Parent, a Mother or Father or both while abrahamic faiths view God as King or Master! Viewing God as a King or Master makes me a Subject or Servant even a Slave! Only such persons would view their King or Master with fear. Now we understand why they talk about sin all the time and of course punishment. This King they keep calling God runs a members-only heaven. For xtians if you are not xtian, this God won't let you into his heaven, the same for muslims. Again that is not God like. A King showers benefits on "his" people while keeping others at a distance. Finally there is the day of judgement. If you don't accept their version of God, you are killed. Billions of people put to death, that's sick. That thought aside, again you realize you are talking about a king, who kills those that do not follow him. A King cannot have democracy, his kingdom is for his people only.

Hindus view God correctly, as a parent not a King. A parent accepts all of her children even the wayward ones. There are no threats, no abuse. Even atheists are welcome in God Rama's heaven. We are God's children not his slaves or servants. We should never refer to God as King or Master. Maybe we should not refer to God as Lord either. Sin and punishment are for slaves and servants. A parent does not punish her children, she guides them with love. God should be viewed with Love and Respect not Fear and Obedience!

But we do need to behave in such a fashion. Most hindus who go to the temple are either standing up or sitting down. This is the correct position. Some prostrate themselves. That is the position of a servant or slave. A hindu should not prostrate not kneel before God. We lower ourselves when we do that. We should behave like a child of God, we are in a higher position than a slave or servant. Let muslims and christians kneel before their autocratic King, let them be slaves and servants.

Re: View of God

I think i'd have to disagree with your idea of how Muslims and Christians inparticular view God.
    Whilst those things may be true of the Jewish God presented in the Old Testament, it's not so in the New Testament.
    The message of Jesus Christ talks about nothing but LOVE for God, and love for Mankind.
    Islam means Submission to God (In Peace) and nothing shows love like devotion, and devotion brings about Submission. Although those charecteristics are a large part of Islam.
    But Christianity, definetly not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
    I think i'd have to disagree with your idea of how Muslims and Christians inparticular view God.
    Whilst those things may be true of the Jewish God presented in the Old Testament, it's not so in the New Testament.
    The message of Jesus Christ talks about nothing but LOVE for God, and love for Mankind.
    Islam means Submission to God (In Peace) and nothing shows love like devotion, and devotion brings about Submission. Although those charecteristics are a large part of Islam.
    But Christianity, definetly not.
    I grew up as a christian, and even after I started walking another path I continued to go to church now and then for my parents sake. All I ever heard was how we should "fear God". It most definitely is a common part of christianity.

You are right, Jesus himself spoke of love and peace. In my experience, the majority of his followers haven't gotten that message.

As far as prostration goes, lowering ones self does not mean you fear God, indeed prostration can also be a sign of respect. I bow my head to every human being I meet in respect of thier Atma. Doesn't it make sense to bow even lower, perhaps even prostrate yourself, for someone you think is greater?

I have no fear of Ganesha or Durga, I love them, and I know they love me.

Shanti

I bow my head to every human being I meet in respect of thier Atma
    Then you are NamanAtma, and not MananAtma. You are our pride to adopt AUM.see...
    Trayah suparnastrivrata yadayanneksharmabhisambhuya shakrah.Pratyohanyamritumamraten sakmantardadhana duritani vishwa.
    This is the meaning of aum, which when spoken leaves the death apart.

In fact in all mentioned religions exist DIFFERENT views and approaches, starting from dualism and ending with monism of this or that sort.

Hinduism classifies bhakti into several rasas, "tastes". In dAsya one sees God as a Master, in vAtsalya – as a Child or as a Parent, in sAkhya – as a Friend and Companion, in mAdhurya – as a Lover or Beloved. All views are right, though they do represent a gradual succession. Supreme rasa is mAdhurya, but when no dualism is there.
    And all these rasas are represented in Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

6. Re: View of God

Quote Originally Posted by RamaRaksha View Post
    I reside in Chicago, USA. Over time I kept hearing the words "Fear of God", which never made sense to me since as a Hindu growing up in India, I never heard any of my elders echoing similar thoughts. I also hear words like King, Master, Sin, Punishment etc.

Slowly it has dawned on me that maybe we view God differently, we view God as a Parent, a Mother or Father or both while abrahamic faiths view God as King or Master! Viewing God as a King or Master makes me a Subject or Servant even a Slave! Only such persons would view their King or Master with fear. Now we understand why they talk about sin all the time and of course punishment. This King they keep calling God runs a members-only heaven. For xtians if you are not xtian, this God won't let you into his heaven, the same for muslims. Again that is not God like. A King showers benefits on "his" people while keeping others at a distance. Finally there is the day of judgement. If you don't accept their version of God, you are killed. Billions of people put to death, that's sick. That thought aside, again you realize you are talking about a king, who kills those that do not follow him. A King cannot have democracy, his kingdom is for his people only.

Hindus view God correctly, as a parent not a King. A parent accepts all of her children even the wayward ones. There are no threats, no abuse. Even atheists are welcome in God Rama's heaven. We are God's children not his slaves or servants. We should never refer to God as King or Master. Maybe we should not refer to God as Lord either. Sin and punishment are for slaves and servants. A parent does not punish her children, she guides them with love. God should be viewed with Love and Respect not Fear and Obedience!

But we do need to behave in such a fashion. Most hindus who go to the temple are either standing up or sitting down. This is the correct position. Some prostrate themselves. That is the position of a servant or slave. A hindu should not prostrate not kneel before God. We lower ourselves when we do that. We should behave like a child of God, we are in a higher position than a slave or servant. Let muslims and christians kneel before their autocratic King, let them be slaves and servants.

Kneeling is only the ways of praying to God & not acting like a slave. Each & every religion is having their own way of praying position that does'nt mean that one is a servant.

John
    www.donjoaoresortgoa.com

Thread Information