Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orthodox Church of India

Orthodox Church of India

Malankara Orthodox Church is an ancient Church of India and it traces its origin to as far back as A. D. 52 when St. Thomas one of the Disciples of Jesus Christ came to India and established Christianity in the South Western parts of the sub-continent.

http://www.orthodoxsyrianchurch.com/

The orthodox church of india is the oldest christian church in india and unlike islam, catholicism and protestantism they came in peace and they dont convert that much.
    "[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Re: Orthodox Church of India

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    Malankara Orthodox Church is an ancient Church of India and it traces its origin to as far back as A. D. 52 when St. Thomas one of the Disciples of Jesus Christ came to India and established Christianity in the South Western parts of the sub-continent.

The orthodox church of india is the oldest christian church in india and unlike islam, catholicism and protestantism they came in peace and they dont convert that much.
    They are a little minority among the christians. Most christians are catholics or protestants.

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Namaste Indra.

http://www.orthodoxsyrianchurch.com/

St. Thomas never visited Kerala, South India. This has been admitted by none other than the Pope himself: http://www.hamsa.org/pope.htm.

Hindus do not buy the Christian Myth of St.Thomas, though it is well established in Kerala and Tamilnadu among the Christians.

We in HDFpuri are striving to establish that most of the Christian nobles from Moses to Jesus are only myths with no historicity about them. You might find more details of this discussion in the 'Extrapolating Christianity--to What End?' thread. Also check the Website http://truthbeknown.com/

When it comes to conversion, it is the tenet not the practice that matters, so one church coverting not 'that much' than another one that does 'so many' are no different from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    Namaste Indra.

St. Thomas never visited Kerala, South India. This has been admitted by none other than the Pope himself: http://www.hamsa.org/pope.htm.
    The pope may say that because he is anti-orthodox. The catholics and proetestants dont like the orthodox.

Hindus do not buy the Christian Myth of St.Thomas, though it is well established in Kerala and Tamilnadu among the Christians.
    How do you explain their ancient existence?

When it comes to conversion, it is the tenet not the practice that matters, so one church coverting not 'that much' than another one that does 'so many' are no different from each other.
    The methods also matter, catholics and protestants give money to convert as much as possible.... the pope is a supremacist, the orthodox allow converts but their aim is not to convert as much as possible with weasal methods.

Namaste Indra.

1. Malankara is a place in Kerala near Kodungallur (this name was corrupted by the Europeans to Cranganore). The Syrian Christians claim that St.Thomas landed in 52 CE at this place and established seven churches at Kodungallur, Palayur, Paravoor, Kokkamangalam, Niranam, Chayal and Kollam. They also say is the Cranganore as the Musiri the famous Port referred in Sangam Literature. This supposed antiquity of the St.Thomas myth is the reason for the touted antiquity of the Malankara Orthodox Church.

2. The Church Apologists' claims are refuted by archaeological investigations conducted in the area that establish:

• that Coastal Kerala was below Sea till 7th or 8th Century CE.

• "First Occupation of Humankind in Kodungallore Belt and surroundings happened in 8 or 9th Century AD, as Virgin Soil without Any Human Occupation came then, all researches in the surrounding areas took us to the Second Chera period of and certainly Kodungallore is not the Musiri the famous Port referred in Sangam Literature."--Prof.K.V.Raman, in his paper "Archaeological Investigations in Kerala".

• (Incidentally Kodungallore Church are also called MALANKARA.) What Does MALANKARA Mean? The Tamil word correct form is Mal-Iyan Karai, which became Maliankara or Malankara. The Land formed By God Vishnu(Mal) and God Siva(Iyan).

For more details, check these links:
    http://www.india-forum.com/forums/in...87&#entry68387
    http://www.hamsa.org/

Namaste Indra.

1. Malankara is a place in Kerala near Kodungallur (this name was corrupted by the Europeans to Cranganore). The Syrian Christians claim that St.Thomas landed in 52 CE at this place and established seven churches at Kodungallur, Palayur, Paravoor, Kokkamangalam, Niranam, Chayal and Kollam. They also say is the Cranganore as the Musiri the famous Port referred in Sangam Literature. This supposed antiquity of the St.Thomas myth is the reason for the touted antiquity of the Malankara Orthodox Church.

2. The Church Apologists' claims are refuted by archaeological investigations conducted in the area that establish:

• that Coastal Kerala was below Sea till 7th or 8th Century CE.

• "First Occupation of Humankind in Kodungallore Belt and surroundings happened in 8 or 9th Century AD, as Virgin Soil without Any Human Occupation came then, all researches in the surrounding areas took us to the Second Chera period of and certainly Kodungallore is not the Musiri the famous Port referred in Sangam Literature."--Prof.K.V.Raman, in his paper "Archaeological Investigations in Kerala".

• (Incidentally Kodungallore Church are also called MALANKARA.) What Does MALANKARA Mean? The Tamil word correct form is Mal-Iyan Karai, which became Maliankara or Malankara. The Land formed By God Vishnu(Mal) and God Siva(Iyan).

For more details, check these links:
    http://www.india-forum.com/forums/in...87&#entry68387
    http://www.hamsa.org/
    Namaste. How those orthodox christians came into existence? Since when they are in india. Who found their church?

Namaste Indra.

I have given you two links, why don't you check them? Anyway, on the very homepage of the Hamsa link the following text from the Forword by Koenraad Elst is given:

"In fact this apostle never came to India. The Christian community in South India was founded by a merchant Thomas Cananeus in 345 A.D. (a name which readily explains the Thomas legend)." And this first Christian community was not formed out of converted native Hindus, but from the four hundred refugees led by him, who fled persecution in Persia and were given asylum by the Hindu authorities.

If you still want to believe the St.Thomas Myth, you are welcome to be a faithful (read gullible) sheep under a good (reading cunning) shepherd!

Namaste Indra.

I have given you two links, why don't you check them? Anyway, on the very homepage of the Hamsa link the following text from the Forword by Koenraad Elst is given:

"In fact this apostle never came to India. The Christian community in South India was founded by a merchant Thomas Cananeus in 345 A.D. (a name which readily explains the Thomas legend)." And this first Christian community was not formed out of converted native Hindus, but from the four hundred refugees led by him, who fled persecution in Persia and were given asylum by the Hindu authorities.

If you still want to believe the St.Thomas Myth, you are welcome to be a faithful (read gullible) sheep under a good (reading cunning) shepherd!
    Namaste,

First: Sorry that i didnt checked the links

Second: If it is found in 345 A.D it is still the most ancient church in India, since catholicism arrived with portugese imperialists and protestantism with british imperialists and it arrived in peace unlike the others (as refugees who were given asylym). However the orthodox compared to catholics and protestants are the smallest christian group which is a indicator that they dont convert much, either they are not interested in converting much or they are not that succesful.

The Roman Catholic Church in India is part of the worldwide Roman Catholic Church, under the leadership of the Pope and curia in Rome. Although Christianity in India dates to the 1st century AD,[1] Catholicism was introduced much later in the 16th century by the Portuguese.[2]
    There are over 17.3 million Catholics in India,[3] which represents less than 2% of the total population[4] and is the largest Christian Church within India.

Protestants in India are a minority of several millions.
    Beginning in the eighteenth century, Protestant missionaries began to work throughout India, leading to the growth of different Christian communities. In 1793 William Carey, an English Baptist Minister came to India as a Missionary. He worked in Serampore, Calcutta etc as a missionary. He started the Serampore College. He translated the Bible into Bengali and Sanskrit. He worked until his death in 1834.

...The orthodox church of india is the oldest christian church in india and unlike islam, catholicism and protestantism they came in peace and they dont convert that much.
    Namaste:

Nearly every christian denomination has reinvented itself hundreds of times, that christians themselves, from whichever part of the world, no longer know their own history.

I don't understand what you mean by the statement, "orthodox church of India came in peace.." The orthodox church in Europe itself, from its very early inception, did not enjoy a pristine reputation, and has been instrumental in eliminating the earlier ancient faiths of Europe. For more information on the history of the various denominations in christianity and their part in reconfiguring the religious demographics in Europe, please visit http://freetruth.50webs.org/Index.htm. It is no doubt a very vast website, but provides as much information as possible, with compliations from various historical records. There is also a section on the Romas and christianity at http://freetruth.50webs.org/A6.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshivaya View Post

I don't understand what you mean by the statement, "orthodox church of India came in peace.." The orthodox church in Europe itself, from its very early inception, did not enjoy a pristine reputation, and has been instrumental in eliminating the earlier ancient faiths of Europe. For more information on the history of the various denominations in christianity and their part in reconfiguring the religious demographics in Europe, please visit http://freetruth.50webs.org/Index.htm. It is no doubt a very vast website, but provides as much information as possible, with compliations from various historical records. There is also a section on the Romas and christianity at http://freetruth.50webs.org/A6.htm
    Namaste ohmshivaya,

Thanks for the very useful links.
    The orthodox church of europe integrated parts of the old faiths into their belief system. Yes they replaced the old faiths. The orthodox church of india played another role as the orthodox church of europe (i never heard that they destroyed hinduism or even tried). I think those christians and even muslims can be integrated into hindu society and philosophy, as far as i learned here and on other forums about hinduism is that they are open to many beliefs and can absorb many beliefs. I believe that jesus christ exists, i call myself hindu because of the "race" and because its part of our heritage and old culture... not because i really believe in the hindu gods though im proud of the hindu "mythology" and it is very fascinating i want to learn about it and make myself proud of my roots. Im not religious hindu but a kind of a hindu-nationalist who is not very religious. I believe in the historicity of jesus christ. I hope you can accept my opinions.

Thread Information